Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BubbleDuck

VIP Member
I think I have just laughed up a lung 😂
Was catching up on the last few pages, and saw this picture . Thought to myself, ok it’s a bit of a strange way to present your ingredients but it looks more hopeful than grated corned beef.

Then I realised it was an advert. For dog food 😂🤦‍♀️
70222826-8431-4F93-80A8-50C6F6A4A708.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37

FrumpyCat

VIP Member
It's like she doesn't really have a sense of identity, and keeps trying on different roles. So far there has been work hard play hard Jack, Skint single mum Jack, Angry politico Jack, Lesbian Jack, Transgender Jack, Disabled Jack, Jack in recovery, house wife Jack, quirky manic Jack, and now, hippy boho Jack.

Reactions: 37
She doesn't sound well (not a nasty comment or any kind of *horrific bullying*, just an observation).
Agreed, and seeing how many lovely comments have been left so quickly underneath it I can see why you’d be tempted to seek solace with a sad caption.

There's a reply further on down where she mentions people she worked with have been harassed too. Like Matt? Who?

These sort of posts do mess with my head a little (anyone else?!) I mean, I don't particularly want to be sued for an opinion but I also wouldn't want to make anyone feel so awful for having an opinion.
Yeah initially they do make me feel weird, but you’ve got to audit what actually went on and time and time again these posts are wrapped up in self and simply not true (* if she is talking about these threads, I can’t comment for other shit going on online - it’s a huge place).

It’s okay to be upset by comments on your food if that’s your pride and joy, but you can also just say that is what is bothering you rather than leave purposefully ominous ambiguities? Or say that you’re embarrassed by inconsistencies in your past and would rather they weren’t mentioned, that is all totally understandable and tbh if you did own it then no one could say shit anyway. Maybe she’ll be liberated of this one day, I hope so for her sake and I really hope she doesn’t genuinely dislike herself.

However - I really resent being falsely represented like I’m some nutter sending out my toenail clippings when the reality is I’ve had a laugh at grating mushrooms & tinned meat, a Samsung 2004 tablet filming license fee payer’s programming, and Matt stage whispering the word terrible.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36

Alansbigplate

VIP Member
I feel like she could’ve come up with a snappier title considering she’s the owner of ‘depressipes’ ™️:

Up In Flames with Jack Monroe
Coronacooking
Anything THAT MAN can do I can do better
In the shed with butane!
One pan Pan-demic

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

PennyLoafer

Chatty Member
My Uncle has arthritis, and most days he has a hot water bottle on his back, walks with a stick to so much as go to the toilet, he can’t hold a pen properly, his wrists, arms, hands and legs are in constant never ending pain. And the doctors said to take medication that basically doesn’t help.

So given the fact Jack has rhumatoid arthritis that’s apparently crippling to her - how without a team of handymen and electricians has she managed to get that outbuilding ready in 48 hours? My Uncle would be in pain so much as walking to it never mind painting, hanging, decorating, moving things. She’s a liar and a fantasist plain and simple, and it is really really really winding me up with these illnesses that don’t exist. It’s narcissism and it’s what makes victims of these invisible diseases unable to get the help they need because people see Jack on TV managing fine and thinking all is okay. She’s a disgrace.
This. Of all her ailments, the arthritis one is the fishiest claim to me. Like your poor uncle, my mum has rheumatoid arthritis and has struggled with it for years. She's tried medications like Methotrexate but they had awful side effects, so she gets by on a combination of painkillers and steroid injections. She has spells where it eases but it never goes away, and when it's bad, she's crippled with pain in her joints and the tiredness that comes with every movement being an effort. Her knuckle joints are inflamed to twice the normal size. But she would never describe herself as disabled.

Jack went through a phase of describing herself as disabled and had a disabled icon in her Twitter bio for a while. She described her knee as 'blowing out' on a plane, which didn't sound like any language I've heard relating to arthritis. She would post photos of her 'gnarled' hands as 'proof' but they just looked like normal hands purposely made into claw shapes. The arthritis seemed to loom large around the time of the Hopkins court case and the Kickstarter criticism. But then she'd talk about covering great miles walking her son to school. There were also long-distance walks for charity, with no reference to any kind of struggle with mobility. She made a big noise about buying a rowing machine and going flat out on it. She's now bouncing onto beds in her freaky-deek YouTube videos like a boneless wonder.

Also around the time of the court case, she posted a photo of her walking cane. Then there were press photos of her outside court with her lawyer, who has MS and walks with a stick. I remember thinking - is that where she's got the idea from? Then I felt terrible for even thinking that, as so many arthritis sufferers were responding to her in sympathy.

I used to be close friends with a compulsive liar, and you could see those whoppers from space. But what I realised was that he was either unaware or unconcerned about being plausible, as long as the lies achieved what he needed in the moment - attention, pity, a shag, a get-out clause, feeling special. Consciously or not, he was relying on the delicacy of those around him not to confront the issue.

I suspect it's the same with Jack Monroe. It's no way to live. But it doesn't stop me being angry because she's monetising falsehoods. In my opinion. I feel the same way about illness tourism as I do about poverty tourism - it's morally reprehensible and in spectacularly poor taste.

Sorry, bit of a rant there.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 35

Slacalis

Just been perusing her new methlab/Kitchen and noticed the delish recipe for carrot sick in a jar... now, as I'm aware Ms Monroe is a likkle bit umpty about her ownership of recipes, ideas etc being used.

Maybe she shouldn't be so quick to steal too... the carrot cake oats was in Sarah Wilson's I quit sugar cookbook back in 2012 ish, the pesto salad bag was too... among others. Sarah also wrote a book years ago on using all the food, scraps, recycling and repurposing on low budgets....

Buttcrackcook has been stealing ideas and making them shitter for years.

Even from hillbilly meth cooks now.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34

Saturn.

Chatty Member
What annoys me today about Jack is what the fuck does she actually want to be?
I have this really bad feeling that she is never going to be happy. She's one of those people that always changing herself to be "better"

I mentioned earlier about her transmogrifying periodically like Jeff Goldblum in 'The Fly'. I now see where she got her Bechamel sauce inspiration from.

Awful lasagne.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34

OhhBacon

VIP Member
Looks like JO will be joining us in court, wonder if you can schedule b2b sessions with barristers?
According to Mumsnet everyone is entitled to a free half hour with any solicitor/barrister of their choice. So if we all pick the same one, there is enough of us that those half hours will add up and our representation will be free!

• Haha
Reactions: 32

Saturn.

Chatty Member
Just found this thing called Instagram.

• saturn.scripted.banter's profile picture
    saturn.scripted.banter
    Matt - loving your work. Are you in the process of making Jack's Béchamel sauce for a Lasagne later?
    9mReply

• Haha
Reactions: 32

Harrybosch

VIP Member
I've just filed a freedom of information act to the BBC about the number and types of complaints they received in regards to JM's co-presenting stint on DK.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31

PennyLoafer

Chatty Member
Jamie Oliver is releasing a #cookwithjack hashtag - someone from his cookery school doing lunches for kids on a budget! 😂

There's a Matt in the kitchen what am I gonna do?
There's a Matt in the kitchen what am I gonna do?
I'm gonna lick that Matt, that's what I'm gonna do,
I'm gonna lick that Matt.

(with apologies to UB40)

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 11.05.49.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31