J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think TRA's are a tiny minority but they shout the loudest. The only way they can win the argument is by shutting down the argument and using death threats.
And most importantly, as seen this week on Reddit and what people have been suspected for a while now, they have a lot of fingers in a lot of high-placed pies when it comes to the Internet. They’re not only shouting loudly, they’re also silencing and deleting anyone who dares murmur a whisper. It’s a cultural, technological war on speech.

• Angry
Reactions: 17
Thoughts on this ‘analysis’ of JKRs writing, specifically the Harry Potter series? I think non of these things would matter to these people if she didn’t put out that banger of an essay last year and it’s funny how suddenly after years of being fans of the series, she’s a terrible writer after all🙄

Also the series is set in the early 90’s at a British boarding school, times were very different and it’s written as such. Bet these people haven’t read any of her other novels.

What a load of crap.🙄
Shrill is descriptive and teenagers are often in love or weeping!

Reactions: 10
Longtime lurker and fence sitter here. Firstly - and I'm not saying this to stir up an argument - I believe trans women are women (and trans men are men etc). And I want equal rights for trans people. I'm fine with shared spaces, I think. But I'm really struggling to get my head around the constant tellings off for using the word "woman" when talking about... women's things. Birth, pregnancy. I believe men can be pregnant, in the case of trans men. So I'm pretty pro trans rights, but even I'm being told that I'm not pro trans rights enough.

I got told that "breastfeeding" should be referred to as breast/chestfeeding. I work in the pregnancy and breastfeeding world and I know how little support there is already. I don't know how to word this properly, but I feel like not calling it breastfeeding does a disservice to women. And breasts are female AND male. Men can get breast cancer.

I don't know how to articulate myself well on this (was up most of last night feeding my twins) but being told to use "they" instead of he or she really annoys me too. I'll call a trans woman "she" and a trans man "he" each and every time. I have no issue with that and never will. But things like the photos I'll add below are starting to really grate. They're from a dungaree group that I was in (and have now left). Someone posted referring to the model in the photo, who is clearly a woman as "she", and they got told to change the post to say "they". I've added the edit history of the post. I would personally be offended if I was referred to as "they". Women are still very much a marginalised group. I don't know what I'm getting at really. Just thinking out loud.

View attachment 355308View attachment 355309View attachment 355310
Hi all,

This was me on my old account (I deleted and came crawling back to Tattle 🤦🏻‍♀️)

I'd just like to say that I have done lots of reading and listening and reflecting and I have well and truly "peaked".

I appreciated the respectful replies on this thread to my original comment. I wouldn't have received such replies from TRAs. These responses gave me the space to really explore my feelings around the situation. I'm still thinking and learning but my views have changed quite drastically since the post I've quoted. I now believe women's-only spaces should be just that. And I will certainly not be referring to breastfeeding as "chestfeeding".

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I really bleeping hate it when they trans characters that aren’t actually trans - not just in Harry Potter. It’s just reaching so hard. Not everyone thinks about you all the damn time - I know that’s hard to believe since it’s all you think about.

Reactions: 20
I really bleeping hate it when they trans characters that aren’t actually trans - not just in Harry Potter. It’s just reaching so hard. Not everyone thinks about you all the damn time - I know that’s hard to believe since it’s all you think about.
It's vanity, in my eyes.

Reactions: 13
It's vanity, in my eyes.
Plain and simple. It’s all vanity and validation for them. Imagine being so arrogant you decide that’s what the author meant, despite that absolutely not being the truth.

Reactions: 15
Hi all,

This was me on my old account (I deleted and came crawling back to Tattle 🤦🏻‍♀️)

I'd just like to say that I have done lots of reading and listening and reflecting and I have well and truly "peaked".

I appreciated the respectful replies on this thread to my original comment. I wouldn't have received such replies from TRAs. These responses gave me the space to really explore my feelings around the situation. I'm still thinking and learning but my views have changed quite drastically since the post I've quoted. I now believe women's-only spaces should be just that. And I will certainly not be referring to breastfeeding as "chestfeeding".
Welcome ☺ I agree I think there's a lot to unpack about the multiple issues with Self ID and language errosion so I think for many of us it takes some time to read and form an opinion that isn't based on what we hear from others. A lot of the issues are batted off with "be kind" etc and it's important to look beyond that. Time is an issue too, I think, not everyone has enough time to read widely on the issues. That's why social media is so powerful for the wrong reasons because people take soundbites and info graphics as truth (e.g. JKR being anti trans when actually she is not).

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It’s always the same - “Tonks is obviously a non-binary, gender fluid, demiromantic, who uses she/they pronouns”.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Hi all,

I'm glad you found this to be a welcoming space to come in and question all this current trans ideology! No one here is against anyone expressing doubts or trying to form an opinion, or even anyone who flat out disagrees with the consensus here. It's people that come in with their knickers in a twist, attacking us and refusing to engage in any meaningful dialogue who we have a problem with, and they don't stick around for very long either. I'm glad we all have this space and the Gender Discussions thread to continue to learn and share our worries and thoughts regarding all this with each other ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Plain and simple. It’s all vanity and validation for them. Imagine being so arrogant you decide that’s what the author meant, despite that absolutely not being the truth.
These are the same people who post, in all seriousness, that JK Rowling is “no longer” the author of HP and Daniel Radcliffe is instead 🧐

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
This insistence certain characters are non binary etc e.g. Tonks shows how shallow they are. All the trans women I have met irl dress very normally, well like me really, and look normal. They certainly do not dress like drag queens, which is what I think people mean when they say Rita Skeeter is trans. But that's so misrepresented real trans people most of whom want to quietly pass as their chosen gender.
What they're really saying is having pink hair and not being girly makes you non binary and drag look is typical of trans women. Shows their utter ignorance.

This insistence certain characters are non binary etc e.g. Tonks shows how shallow they are. All the trans women I have met irl dress very normally, well like me really, and look normal. They certainly do not dress like drag queens, which is what I think people mean when they say Rita Skeeter is trans. But that's so misrepresented real trans people most of whom want to quietly pass as their chosen gender.
What they're really saying is having pink hair and not being girly makes you non binary and drag look is typical of trans women. Shows their utter ignorance.
I wonder if it says more about then than JK that they think Rita Skeeter is “trans coded” lol.

Reactions: 11
In keeping with the Harry Potter theme does anyone have any suggestions for the next thread title?
Mine is:
JK and the Half-Baked Pricks

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I have to say, years ago I never got into the HP books but I'm very impressed that she donated so much of her money and has done this. She's one of a kind.

Reactions: 16
I have to say, years ago I never got into the HP books but I'm very impressed that she donated so much of her money and has done this. She's one of a kind.
Her legacy will never be tarnished. It simply can’t. And that’s why they dislike her so much, especially considering she refuses to bow down to their demands and apologise for the “mistakes” they’ve decided to bestow upon her.

Thread title suggestion:J K Rowling and the Order of the Penis?

Don't know if we'd be allowed that one, mind. But we have a good 25 pages to go yet.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.