J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So apparently Rowling is creating a genocide and is a far-right anti-feminist white supremacist and the police in the UK are on the side of the TERFs (click through for the full list of her crimes - and, of course, the thread is locked)

and a few tweets supporting her to brighten the mood a bit

and a rogue Labour councillor breaks away from the party line...

https://twitter.com/lwhb__/status/1417055874263261189
Jo Rowling is an absolute legend and it kills the TRAs that she can’t be cancelled.👸

But a woman tweeting suffragette ribbons gets arrested and questioned, yet numerous men issuing vile rape, torture and death threats in their droves seem to be ignored? Yeah, the police are so on our side aren’t they? 🙄

Although I am glad to see that someone in Labour has a bit of backbone. It’s a shame the rest of the party are happy to pander to the TRAs and ostracise women. By doing this, they’re also making sure that the Tories will remain in power for a very long time.

Reactions: 19
Hope they arrest whoever sent that tweet to her. I don't 100% agree with her stance on the issue, but she has only ever stated her viewpoint with respect. (Though is she aware she used the colours of the genderqueer flag in one of her recent tweets? I can't think she meant to. :D
Those are the suffragette colours.

Reactions: 9
Yes, someone else mentioned that. Though I suppose it's more accurate to say they're both - as no organisation or movement can own colours.
no organisation “owns” colours no, but one did exist a very long time before the other.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Well, the Suffragette colours are actually purple, white and green and the 'genderqueer' (🙄) colours are apparently lavender, white and chartreuse

"These were the colors used by the Women’s Social and Political Union in England. They adopted these colors in 1908. Purple represented royalty and “the royal blood that flows in the veins of every suffragette, the instinct of freedom and dignity;” white represented purity; and green represented hope and “the emblem of spring.”[a] Alice Paul protested in England with the Women’s Social and Political Union in England, and brought the tactics of their leader, Emmeline Pankhurst, back to the United States"

'Genderqueer Pride Flag — This flag was designed in 2011 by Marilyn Roxie, a genderqueer writer and advocate, and features a lavender, white, and chartreuse stripe. According to Roxie, the lavender stripe is a mix of blue and pink—colors traditionally associated with men and women—and represents androgyny as well as queer identities. The white stripe, like in the transgender pride flag, represent agender or gender neutral identities. The chartreuse stripe is the inverse of lavender and represents third gender identities and identities outside the gender binary"

One is an amazing group of heroic and brave women, the other is a load of made up, regressive nonsense

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Not to be s as total pedant but that designer needs to learn their colour wheel, the inverse of ‘lavender’ is yellow.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Wait a minute... are you telling me that two people can disagree on a highly divisive political issue and not detest each other?! Surely not? I'm shocked!

Screenshot 2021-07-20 16.45.07.png

Screenshot 2021-07-20 16.46.45.png

Screenshot 2021-07-20 16.47.47.png

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Well, the Suffragette colours are actually purple, white and green and the 'genderqueer' (🙄) colours are apparently lavender, white and chartreuse

"These were the colors used by the Women’s Social and Political Union in England. They adopted these colors in 1908. Purple represented royalty and “the royal blood that flows in the veins of every suffragette, the instinct of freedom and dignity;” white represented purity; and green represented hope and “the emblem of spring.”[a] Alice Paul protested in England with the Women’s Social and Political Union in England, and brought the tactics of their leader, Emmeline Pankhurst, back to the United States"

'Genderqueer Pride Flag — This flag was designed in 2011 by Marilyn Roxie, a genderqueer writer and advocate, and features a lavender, white, and chartreuse stripe. According to Roxie, the lavender stripe is a mix of blue and pink—colors traditionally associated with men and women—and represents androgyny as well as queer identities. The white stripe, like in the transgender pride flag, represent agender or gender neutral identities. The chartreuse stripe is the inverse of lavender and represents third gender identities and identities outside the gender binary"

One is an amazing group of heroic and brave women, the other is a load of made up, regressive nonsense
Thanks for the explanation. I found it an interesting read. I don't mind all the different flags, though, especially the rainbow pride flag.

Though I know lots of people don't like that gay people "took over the rainbow". :D

Wait a minute... are you telling me that two people can disagree on a highly divisive political issue and not detest each other?! Surely not? I'm shocked!

View attachment 671513

View attachment 671514

View attachment 671516
I definitely agree with Jo's stance on Scotland's constitutional future and I hope she uses her voice and platform to support the inevitable 'No' campaign when the SNP starts its campaigning.

As an aside, I'm not a very frequent visitor here, so can I check this thread is to discuss all things JK Rowling, not just her view on women's rights? If so, anyone looking forward to her upcoming Christmas book despite being "too old" for it? :D I loved all the Harry Potter books and started reading them at age 20 haha.

Reactions: 4
Thanks for the explanation. I found it an interesting read. I don't mind all the different flags, though, especially the rainbow pride flag.

Though I know lots of people don't like that gay people "took over the rainbow". :D

I definitely agree with Jo's stance on Scotland's constitutional future and I hope she uses her voice and platform to support the inevitable 'No' campaign when the SNP starts its campaigning.

As an aside, I'm not a very frequent visitor here, so can I check this thread is to discuss all things JK Rowling, not just her view on women's rights? If so, anyone looking forward to her upcoming Christmas book despite being "too old" for it? :D I loved all the Harry Potter books and started reading them at age 20 haha.
I started re-listening to HPATPS this week.

I was 11 when it came out, so I was the ideal age for it then and it was nice to revisit it. Especially seeing things from an adult point-of-view rather than a kid's pov.

Although on the woman's right issue this bit did stand out, but for the 'woman who spoke' rather than for 'the boy who lived'.

“He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting up in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: 'To Harry Potter - the boy who lived!”

• Heart
Reactions: 5

I was 11 when it came out, so I was the ideal age for it then and it was nice to revisit it. Especially seeing things from an adult point-of-view rather than a kid's pov.

Although on the woman's right issue this bit did stand out, but for the 'woman who spoke' rather than for 'the boy who lived'.
Oh I love the audiobooks. Stephen Fry is great.

I still have a boxset with all the audiobooks on CDs... I think there are over 70!

Reactions: 3

ohh not seen book announcement, what's this?

Reactions: 1

Ha! Yes! So true. Reading it to my son atm. One of my greatest pleasures as a parent has been sharing HP with my children. Thank you, Jo 🥂

It's called The Christmas Pig and it's out in October.

That'll be under the tree this year! Love Jim Field too. Lmao at all the translations, audios etc even before publication, they really can't cancel her!

Reactions: 1
I listened to Troubled Blood on Audible. It was brilliant, no spoilers but there's a dinner party in it that features a woke bloke and his hand maiden. I honestly love that book.

Reactions: 6
I listened to Troubled Blood on Audible. It was brilliant, no spoilers but there's a dinner party in it that features a woke bloke and his hand maiden. I honestly love that book.
I just finished reading it at the weekend - thoroughly enjoyed it, not offensive in the slightest,'just fabulously well written and 👏 🙌🏻 to the dinner party part!

Reactions: 5
I've noticed a fair few women on twitter saying recently that they don't understand how someone who is so charitable and who has always been so kind and lovely has woken up one day and decided to be evil...

...They're so close to peaking.

Reactions: 12
Sometimes I do feel exhausted with this fight but then some of these things happen and I pray that it peaks people. Threatening someone with a pipe bomb is just bleeping outrageous.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.