Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Badirene

VIP Member
If Owen Jones, as a gay man,wants to father a baby couldn't he have a loving relationship with a transman and they could have a family together. I think he is being very transphobic in his thinking here, I mean either OJ doesn't believe that transmen are men or he is chatting shite to wind up women for attention on twitter? Could OJ be the kind of man who knows what biological reality is but spouts slogans and backs ideology to harm women's rights like a common or garden misogynist? Gosh it's baffling.

Reactions: 27

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Seems like everyone on that thread glossed over that comment. Always one though isn’t there? Takes women a literal decade to get close to being diagnosed with endo in the first place but oh won’t someone think of the enbies🙄

• Heart
  • Haha

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
I just think it’s interesting for people who are supposedly anti biology when it comes to trans stuff, they seem to acknowledge it and value it when it comes to having a child that is ‘theirs’. Biology exists then. While I would never say to someone ‘just adopt’ there is a marked absence of any consideration of this being an option for them to even pursue. They believe in biology when it suits them.

Pixxi

Saw this on Twitter this morning, sums up the situation well... would love to see Owen explain his way out of this one

13DB8F85-E308-48E7-B23B-562A37192545.png

• Haha

HoGi

VIP Member
But why is it liberating? I don't care who he sleeps with or how he dresses that's his business but he's not a woman.
Remember when this was considered comedy 🤔

I was chatting with my husband whilst watch PAotY and we were discussing that gender bending has disappeared you're either trans or not and that includes not conforming to gender stereotypes. Which is sad.

Personally I think it would be more liberating to say yes I'm man, and yes I like to wear dresses. Rather than being in "girl mode" which to me is just creepy

CheshireLove

VIP Member
Longtime lurker and fence sitter here. Firstly - and I'm not saying this to stir up an argument - I believe trans women are women (and trans men are men etc). And I want equal rights for trans people. I'm fine with shared spaces, I think. But I'm really struggling to get my head around the constant tellings off for using the word "woman" when talking about... women's things. Birth, pregnancy. I believe men can be pregnant, in the case of trans men. So I'm pretty pro trans rights, but even I'm being told that I'm not pro trans rights enough.

I got told that "breastfeeding" should be referred to as breast/chestfeeding. I work in the pregnancy and breastfeeding world and I know how little support there is already. I don't know how to word this properly, but I feel like not calling it breastfeeding does a disservice to women. And breasts are female AND male. Men can get breast cancer.

I don't know how to articulate myself well on this (was up most of last night feeding my twins) but being told to use "they" instead of he or she really annoys me too. I'll call a trans woman "she" and a trans man "he" each and every time. I have no issue with that and never will. But things like the photos I'll add below are starting to really grate. They're from a dungaree group that I was in (and have now left). Someone posted referring to the model in the photo, who is clearly a woman as "she", and they got told to change the post to say "they". I've added the edit history of the post. I would personally be offended if I was referred to as "they". Women are still very much a marginalised group. I don't know what I'm getting at really. Just thinking out loud.

View attachment 355308View attachment 355309View attachment 355310
Can I just say that I really appreciate your post. Although I don't personally agree with you that transwomen are women and transmen are men, your post is very considerate and you strike me as a caring person. (love you name btw!)

I think where I very much agree with you is that the well-intentioned effort to be inclusive and welcoming in our language has somewhat spectacularly backfired and we now have multiple examples - such as the one you've included - where this has gone to a bit of an extreme and is generating equally extreme reactions and accusations. I personally feel quite angered that the word 'women/woman' has been altogether omitted from campaigns around cervical cancer for example, when inclusive language could have been included alongside the word 'women'.

Terms such as 'chestfeeding' instead of breastfeeding and 'utertus- havers', 'cervix-havers', 'menstruators' etc.... I find very dehumanising. I recognise the efforts to be inclusive but feel that it is important to recognise the group most common to all of this - women. Language is important and it is quite clear that breastfeeding is a suitable word as it is, there is no reason to change it. The child feeds from the breast. That's it. It's not a word that needs to be changed at all.

I feel that women are expressing their discomfort at this dehumanising language and the omittance of the word 'woman' and are getting a lot of grief back. It often feels to me that as women we are just being told to sit back, shut up and 'be kind'. Because that's what women are 'supposed' do...make way and be kind, even (especially?) if it inconveniences them.

What I would want to ask you I suppose, is what is it that makes you believe that transwomen are women and transmen are men. What do you think it is to be a man or a woman?

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member

Controversial 'virginity tests' sold by UK clinic

The tests involve a vaginal examination to check if the hymen is intact.
------

Oh look at that. They only work on female genitalia!
Christ. And we are supposed to be a first world country who at least somewhat respects women’s bodies. Surely everyone knows the Hymen being intact or not isn’t an indication of virginity by now, I got taught this when I was 11🤦🏻‍♀️

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
Saw this meme and then the replies. I don’t think these people are really joking when they say stuff like this. JK could have a horrific accident and they would be all ‘sad but she deserved it’. I wish they had this energy for other authors, male authors who were problematic.View attachment 553834View attachment 553833
A woman has an opinion that relates directly to her own experience and therefore, she must die.

It’s beyond parody at this point.

HockyRorror

VIP Member
Could someone explain what's happened with JK Rowling and the trans comments shes made?
I really struggled to get my head around the facts and opinions of everything that happened last year. She's always been a huge inspiration to me
The “trans comments”:

If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth.

The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—i.e., to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense.
I personally can’t spot the supposed transphobia, can you? Perhaps it was the part where she said she knows some trans people, and loves them, or maybe the part where she talks about feeling empathetic towards trans women who are victims of male violence, who knows? But whatever it was, it led to this:

340C75CF-3CF2-497C-BCC5-53948B7D1FE9.jpeg
D7D58E7B-4591-44F9-98FC-92D8A6F39870.jpeg
E3046C62-C715-4637-BA0E-9DAAA6B6CA9A.jpeg
0D7D3B35-3529-4AEC-BD70-A0753451A824.jpeg

• Angry
  • Wow

Vanillaco

VIP Member
Many of them don’t want another space. They find it validating to use the single sex spaces they want to use.
That doesn't override women's rights to feel safe in their own space though. If it was an issue of safety, that trans women don't feel safe walking into the men's toilets ( understandably, a, at a guess, I'd say all violence against trans women is committed by men, contrary to what the TRA's say when they decide to intimidate women and call them TERFS) then gender neutral spaces or single cubicles is the answer to that. Not hurting the feelings of 1% of the population is not a reason for taking away the rights of 51% of the population

• Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I have no interest in gender neutral toilets and that's nothing to do with feeling unsafe with transwomen. I just don't want to share with men. We should be allowed a place to go without men

• Heart

BunnyLebowski

VIP Member
Rupert has just had a daughter so he might now be clocking on to the fact that biology is real, now he has skin in the game. Pathetic coward.

I live in Brighton and I have raised my daughter here so I have lived and breathed the whole trans / non-binary / i’m-so-special thing with her and all her little mates. Now their in their early 20s they are so over this shit. The trans trend is fading so fast that the adult wokesters who bought into this are going to be left with serious egg on their face.

Last edited: