Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ensay

VIP Member
JKR hardly posts though, she's not posting lots and lots. She's standing up for women, because her voice is heard above a lot of womens. She's calling out against mysogyny. She is also a victim of phsyical abuse in her past so it is a cause close to her heart, not really to do with notoriety to be fair.
I just thought it was strange how she went from never mentioning it to going on a crusade (by comparison). She could have almost written a similar character...

I must say as a new poster, I'm surprised this thread is so one-sided. Most of the other topics I've read are refreshingly critical (especially of some of the dire social media 'influencers'). I was expecting a few more on my side of the argument. Ah well!

Ensay

VIP Member
I liked the Harry Potter books, but I never really understood why she waded into the argument and kept going on about it at length. Maybe it's because she missed the notoriety she once had?

There are quite a few people who've got involved in that particular argument and almost all of their tweets are about it. You can have an opinion and state that opinion of course, but when most of your social media posts are about the same thing, it's perhaps time to look at whether it's doing you any good.

HockyRorror

VIP Member
Someone posted referring to the model in the photo, who is clearly a woman as "she"
Do you know the model? If not, how do you know the model is “clearly” a woman? I mean, I know, but in response to the rest of your post, how do you?

Ensay

VIP Member
A few people asked me what I meant by "presenting as female" when it comes to biological men who've transitioned. By this, I mean they look female to most of the population. I know you could never prove one way or another, but I understand the first thing we notice about strangers is their sex.

When I think of people like Blaire White, if you didn't know she was trans (i.e. she wasn't 'famous') and she walked into female toilets, would anyone honestly object and ask her to leave? Would they feel threatened?

Ensay

VIP Member
BIB - nobody says that. It’s actually the same argument as “not all men” - no, not all men are dangerous, but how do we tell which ones are and which ones aren’t?

It’s the same concept, because we do not believe it is possible to change sex (it biologically isn’t), and what does “living as a woman” mean anyway? Usually it comes down to an offensive gender stereotype.

I don’t believe all trans people are dangerous, neither do I have a problem with them existing. I support trans rights in terms of them having equal access to healthcare and housing, not being discriminated against in society, not being subject to abuse and violence.

What I do not support is their need to use women’s facilities. They are physically different from women, even when they’ve had surgery (which is not something I support - SRS is a hugely devastating con that leaves people infertile and in pain, but that’s another issue). They are physically of the sex that oppresses women via their sex (sorry, clumsy sentence!) and there is no evidence that shows the rate of sexual crime in transitioned male to females is less than in males.

There are also more issues beyond this that I am not happy about - for example, modern trans ideology is unfair to women in sport, is dangerous to children as they can be left with lifelong health issues from unnecessary medical intervention, and less importantly but still an issue, as a feminist I find that transgenderism is pushing a strict gender stereotype and binary, despite claiming otherwise. I am uncomfortable with that.
I personally think that if a biological man takes female hormones and has gender reassignment surgery then they're "living as a woman". That's not based on stereotypes; it's just that they're presenting as female as 100% of the time. In that scenario, I think it'd be almost cruel to force them to use, say, men's toilets for example.

I'm a biological male myself, so I accept that it's not up to me to decide the above (nor do I think I should) but that's my view at least. But I do have a great deal of empathy for trans people. I don't think they'd put themselves through all the ridicule they get if they didn't 100% feel like they were in the wrong body.

FitiverMin

Chatty Member
I’ve been struggling with bipolar premenstrual disorder and honestly I have no problem with trans women. I’ve had no avenue testing my femininity and as a lesbian I’ve not been berated about my sexuality. What are you guys so worried about ?

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
It's funny when TRAs go on about the religious right and the far right- their own behaviour is zealot like.

Just saw this- 'more gloating and propaganda from her'?

JK Rowling hasn't tweeted since December and she was mostly tweeting about the Ickabog so that's highly unlikely. And she still got nasty replies from TRAs on her tweets to kids congratulating them on their Ickabog drawings. They really are deranged
What judgement is that tweet referring to? I'm confused.

maxrigger

Don't go comparing hism to Jimmy Saville for crying out loud. Lets turn on the fella when some real evidence surfaces :(

PS, thousands of people knew the multimillionaire Epstein, don't read anything into that.
I didn’t compare him to Jimmy Saville, I said (in response) that just because he was/is charitable, that it doesn’t make him a good person (as Jimmy Saville was also charitable). But I’ll drop it now to bring the focus back onto the wonderful JKR
[/QUOTE]

I'm more interested in his awareness of global issues as indicated in the video I linked, I've no interest in his personal life.