J.K. Rowling #4 JK and the Goblet of Ire

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m definitely not raving about fan-fiction, I absolutely forgot about the horror that 50 was 😩

• Haha
Reactions: 5
You'll all be amused to know that since JK became persona no grata for some HP fans, some people have been purposely writing fan fiction with trans characters are an 'f you' to her. Because of course they have.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
You'll all be amused to know that since JK became persona no grata for some HP fans, some people have been purposely writing fan fiction with trans characters are an 'f you' to her. Because of course they have.
I just did a search and there's loads of it!!!
What a bunch of saddos these people are. Unable to invent their own characters they use hers but still abuse her. 😡

This transgender movement didn't really exist when the Harry Potter series was written. It seems like a 'trend', and it is a trend, that has got out of hand. These people think that they are cutting edge and leaders of fashion when really they are sheep following an ideology.

I do believe that there will be many who will grow out of the attention seeking movement in the future. Sadly this is a lot worse than the previous trend when everyone seemed to have multiple piercings and tattoos.

Unfortunately you can't say that it's an obvious bandwagon/fad these days on media platforms as they are like religious zealots.

The irony of witch burning is lost on them.

Reactions: 18
I'm trying to think how you could have a trans character in a novel without it being somehow relevant to the story. If it wasn't, wouldn't it just seem jarring to slip in a reference that makes it obvious they are trans? Like, it would be obvious that someone is gay when their same-sex partner is referred to, or you could describe a character as black, but these examples wouldn't detract from the story. Surely a writer would have to go out of their way to make it obvious that a character was trans. Like mentioning that a female named character was shaving their face maybe? Not sure if I am explaining myself well but that sort of thing would just take me out of the story.

Edit - just had a really quick look at "harry potter trans fanfiction" on google and it seems that the focus of the stories is on the trans aspect of the characters, so nothing that really proves me wrong.

Reactions: 11
I'm trying to think how you could have a trans character in a novel without it being somehow relevant to the story. If it wasn't, wouldn't it just seem jarring to slip in a reference that makes it obvious they are trans? Like, it would be obvious that someone is gay when their same-sex partner is referred to, or you could describe a character as black, but these examples wouldn't detract from the story. Surely a writer would have to go out of their way to make it obvious that a character was trans. Like mentioning that a female named character was shaving their face maybe? Not sure if I am explaining myself well but that sort of thing would just take me out of the story.

Edit - just had a really quick look at "harry potter trans fanfiction" on google and it seems that the focus of the stories is on the trans aspect of the characters, so nothing that really proves me wrong.
Totally agree. HP is a childrens story and characters sexuality etc is largely irrelevant which is probably why JK decided not to make it obvious about Dumbledore.

I know we had a bit of romance in the later books between Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny but it wasn't allowed to take over the story.

The hijacking of HP characters to try and make them trans is just really weird.

It's all a weird obsession with themselves, I'm convinced most are narcissists who have nothing better to do than sit around all day thinking about themselves. I had a brief look at trans reddit the other day and it's remarkable how many of these people are depressed, at home without a job, doing nothing...for some I'm sure being 'trans' and having this identity is some kind of coping mechanism. Someone being trans in a story adds nothing to the story itself, and to force it in apropos of nothing seems very weird. Just more attention seeking.

Reactions: 19
It's all a weird obsession with themselves, I'm convinced most are narcissists who have nothing better to do than sit around all day thinking about themselves. I had a brief look at trans reddit the other day and it's remarkable how many of these people are depressed, at home without a job, doing nothing...for some I'm sure being 'trans' and having this identity is some kind of coping mechanism. Someone being trans in a story adds nothing to the story itself, and to force it in apropos of nothing seems very weird. Just more attention seeking.
I'm inclined to agree with you. These people seem to be bored, depressed, jobless and obsessed by promoting themselves on social media to gain attention. It's actually very sad in a way. I would feel more sorry for them if they weren't so inherently nasty. The fact is that most of them resent their parents generation and blame them for their lack of opportunities. I'd go so far as to say that they seem to hate their mothers who have made numerous sacrifices for them.

You can bet that if they were actually having to go out, work, pay bills, hold down a job, look after children and deal with real life a lot of them wouldn't have time for this.

• Heart
I think there is absolutely no way that she can win with it either. I saw a really weird Twitter thread yesterday where they were criticising her for using an overtly Irish name like Seamus Finnigan, and again with Cho Chang. I know there's been some controversy over whether 'Cho Chang' is even a legit name. But in this thread they were slating her for using 'obviously foreign names' and I mean...how else in a book does someone tell you that a white boy is Irish? Someone actually said it's akin to calling a character John Smith, which to me seems...okay? Like you say it was the 90s when actually people wouldn't have batted an eyelid back then if she had made zero effort to be inclusive. And I'm not saying 'let's celebrate her for doing a tiny thing to be inclusive' but I don't really see how this is something to criticise either. She was very pro black Hermione. Surely, true inclusivity means not having to keep pointing out that a character is Irish or not white or anything, I would think it's weird and forced to make it overt all the time which ethnicity a character is or where they're from, isn't the point kind of to avoid that and not 'assume' that characters are white unless otherwise stated?

I also really agree with whoever said that those commenting the goblins with big noses working in finance are Jewish-esque to me seems a huge projection on behalf of whoever first pointed that out. That had genuinely never ever occurred to me, goblins as a fantasy 'species' always tend to have big noses, it's not Rowling specific.

Twitter is unbearable at the moment, there is a big thread that seems to have gained traction about 'not giving Rowling your money' and 'can we all get over Harry Potter'. My pet peeve with these people is that as with the toilet issue, they want everyone to adopt their way of thinking and think that their view gets to dictate how everyone else behaves. The narcissism is astounding. If I want to give my money to Rowling I will, that's my choice and none of their business. How someone can be so arrogant to think they get to make decisions on behalf of all women or everyone else blows my mind.
Harry Potter isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. There’s a video game coming out next year ffs. There are studio tours and theme parks which are still hugely popular attractions. I got gifted 2 Harry Potter illustrated books for Christmas too (absolutely stunning) and there’s still more of those to come out. Demand is still very much there for HP merch and experiences, regardless of what the Twitter mob says.

Anyone who thinks Harry Potter will just be ‘forgotten about’ any time soon is delusional.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Tracey Ullmans hilarious video woke 'Support Group' mentions the Harry Potter books. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it before.

It seems to have been deleted from YouTube now for some reason 🤔

Attachments

There’s a very sympathetically written trans character in one of the Strike books. It’s relevant to the story and audience, unlike it would be in HP.

Reactions: 12
Tracey Ullmans hilarious video woke 'Support Group' mentions the Harry Potter books. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it before.

It seems to have been deleted from YouTube now for some reason 🤔
Love it. So fed up with wokeness - thought it was just because I'm middle aged.

• Haha
Sorry, but as someone who used to read a lot of HP fanfiction and write it (15+ years ago) I am laughing that anyone thinks inserting a trans character into a Harry Potter fanfiction is even considered worthy of politely stifling a yawn than seen as a giant F U to JK Rowling.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Love it. So fed up with wokeness - thought it was just because I'm middle aged.
guess i'm middle aged on the inside then. A) the "straight women" claiming we're jealous because they look better then us are amusing. Plenty of naturally gorgeous women out there and for those who are not if they had surgery they'd often still look better because they would start off with an actual female canvas and need less surgery.
B) Keep being mad JKR is doing just fine and her books are known worldwide, and the cancel culture influence hasn't spread that far.

Reactions: 13
Plastic lib feminism!

Oh dear... loved these responses below:

'The same Emma Watson who believes men become women by performing the gender stereotypes usually imposed upon women, and that such performance grants men access to women's showers, hospital wards, prison cells, toilets &c, disregarding women's needs for safety, & privacy'

'Watson would do well to realise that freeing men of gender stereotypes is a good thing, yet rewriting feminism to dickpander is not.'

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Excellent article here.

'The reason that gender ideology is being pushed so hard, -by the media, by academia, by so called human rights activists, - is because it is being marketed well by the people who profit from it. These profiteers do NOT make money from the reasonable view that we can break stereotypes without denying our sexes, without pharma, without fad labels. They profit from rebranding masculine girls as "genderqueer" or transman, needing special help to be themselves. They make money from selling feminine and gay males the idea that they are better off seeing themselves as women than as valid male diversity. These interests have worked hard to tie "gender identities" to the struggles of gays and lesbians, shoehorning letters like TQ+ onto their advocacy groups, or lumping them together as "SOGIs" (sexual orientations + gender identities.) They have taken, and squandered the goodwill and the funding raised by LGB people to promote an agenda that re-brands people as being more marginalized than they are. Often, the people rebranding are the most privileged people among us, not needing any advocacy at all, seeking only to feel special. They are infiltrating and hijacking the advocacy of people who actually need advocacy, and using those demographics' organizations and funding for frivolous and harmful purposes.'

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.