Is anyone really happy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not too sure how to start this off but I guess the question is as it says. Is anyone really happy?

I am happy, in general, with my life but I just have this feeling there is so much more. I’ve been told by friends/partner/therapist that I tend to fantasise a lot so I find it hard to distinguish if I am unhappy or if this is just the way life is for “normal” people and not the jet setting, romance movies where everyone has a gaggle of girlfriends, a soulmate husband and fun filled family Christmases.

I am struggling with my partner at the moment, we seem to argue over the slightest thing and he makes me unhappy a lot more than he makes me happy, is this just normal life for most people? Is anyone really living in the fantasy life where you come home from work everyday and you can’t keep your hands off eachother and you’re head over heels in love?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I am struggling with my partner at the moment, we seem to argue over the slightest thing and he makes me unhappy a lot more than he makes me happy, is this just normal life for most people? Is anyone really living in the fantasy life where you come home from work everyday and you can’t keep your hands off eachother and you’re head over heels in love?
I think every couple have their moments. There are days when my husband does my head in and it feels like he's going out of his way to annoy me and I know there are days he feels the same about me. But even after about 15 years he's still the person that makes me laugh more than anyone, he's the person I want to hang out with and share things with, we're still super affectionate and quite honestly, he's the best person I know and I know I'm a better person for being with him.

Even if we're having an off day I can't say he makes me unhappy. If your partner makes you unhappy and certainly more often unhappy than happy then think about whether that's a situation you want to stay in.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If it helps, I find the extended family Christmases stressful, hard work, tiring and irritating. I imagine it to be warm and cosy and magical, it never is. My happiest Christmas was when we had Covid and it was just the four of us and we did our own thing and werent forced to people please. It makes me a bit sad but the fall out of not pleasing extended family is scary.

Reactions: 14
Interesting thread. I’d say after two small children the times my partner and I were “all over each other” are essentially over. Routine itself is stressful, jobs, places to be, screaming kids etc. but we always find time to appreciate what we have, think about how lucky and privileged we are and how we couldn’t see ourselves doing life without each other. He makes me laugh like nobody else and is a super supporting partner, appreciates me and is very involved and a great father. Of course sometimes routine and everyday life feels overwhelming, the intrusive thoughts of “is this it? Life?” but at the end of the day, wouldn’t have it any other way (okay perhaps more time here and then for myself. going to the supermarket alone or showering doesn’t count 🥴😂)

Reactions: 1
Not really. I am content most of the time and I live for the small moments of joy but I find the grind of life so draining. The weekend comes around and then it’s Monday again. I like my job so I am lucky in that regard but I find the whole thing draining. it feels like the week passes me by and just nothing happens. Same old same old. Truthfully there are times where I don’t want to be alive because of it. I’m only in my late twenties. I’ve got years of this exhaustion

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I’m not happy. I truly used to be, but a few years ago I lost our first baby at just shy of 24w pregnant in terribly traumatic circumstances. It turned out that I am a carrier for a rare genetic disease that would be fatal to a baby in utero, or at best, a few days after birth.

Since then my husband and I have been on a wretched journey of IVF with genetic testing. My first transfer worked but then I inexplicably miscarried at 8w. 2 subsequent transfers failed. It’s been nearly 2.5 years of hell and no baby.

We are gearing up for another transfer but have hit another roadblock along the way so it will be delayed.

My husband and my relationship has suffered as a result. Our sex life is pretty much nonexistent unless I instigate it. I don’t think he fancies me anymore and I don’t fancy him. (We’ve been together 14 years this year and this horrible predicament has wiped out any spark).

I just feel like a failed science experiment. Not a woman.

Work is also really stressful at the moment.

I have also recently done something really awful - another man who is a friend kissed me after Christmas. I immediately regretted it and wanted to forget it. But he pursued me for a bit and then it happened again last week. This man is also engaged and I have realised the past few days what a shitshow this all is and so I’ve called it off before anything else happens.

But the saddest thing is I’m still thinking about him - he made me feel sexy and desirable and like a woman again. Things I haven’t felt in years. But we both know it’s wrong so it has to end. But now I feel more dissatisfied than ever. My life is such a mess.

It helped to “confess” that but, wow, what a disaster my life is.

Sorry, OP! I really needed to get that out 😩

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I'm not happy all day every day but the majority of the time I would say so. For me I think a big part of it is being childfree, the life really suits me.

I'm not rich by any means, my salary is not great as I work for a charity, so still have to budget and do worry about retirement sometimes.

It all depends on when you ask someone too, as for me it hasn't always been this way I have been through hard times, feels like life is ebbs and flows! One thing that helped me a lot was building community around me and putting more effort into my family and friendships. I also started trying new things, even little things like a pottery taster class, candle making workshop, dance classes even though I have no rhythm and look a sight haha. I try to act like I'm not here for long so may aswell make the most of it and try have some adventures and good experiences. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I wouldn’t call myself really happy, but I have depression so my perception of happiness is probably different from normal. I do have days when I am in a good mood and I’m content with what is going on so can’t complain. I guess a lot of people have it much worse. My life is different from the romance movies you have described but then I believe it’s the plague of our times — comparing our lives to what’s shown on TV or social media. It leads to fear of missing out when in fact nobody really lives like that (except for maybe 1% of the very rich and the very lucky). Most of us, including celebrities, have to deal with job troubles, illness, relationship problems, mental health issues and so on from time to time. Most of us follow the same routine every day. It’s very normal.

You say your partner makes you unhappy more often than he makes you happy — how long have you been feeling like that? Do you feel like he respects you and pays you enough attention? I wouldn’t call myself a relationship expert but I guess most people go through different phases in their relationship, some happier than the others but it doesn’t mean the relationship is doomed. Do you think you could talk it through or maybe benefit from couples counseling?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
No , I'm not happy. I'm trying to go through things and work out why I'm not, cos on the surface things seem OK and I know I have a lot to be grateful for.

I wonder if hormones play a part somehow. It would be easier to blame hormones, than blame myself.

I'm bored with life . I find my children and pets really hard work most days. Everyday is the same , I don't get anything productive done and I spend the whole day repeating myself.

I'm lonely. Also I'm surrounded by people in my house and I crave solitude . I know that sounds like a contradiction.

I think I still grieve for my parents who have both passed on .

I certainly don't have a fairy tale marriage with my husband. It's ok, but it's boring and we never do anything fun anymore. He does my head in a lot of the time which I think is linked to the fact I'm never alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
So glad I found this thread it makes me feel less alone. I'm so happy for the people who have found balance and contentment in their lives, but as for me to really be honest I feel mostly sad and melancholy borderline depressed.
I'm at an awkward age (just turned 45 today) and yes probably peri menopausal, I love my kids deeply (I have 4 and the youngest is 5) but probably like a lot of mums out there I feel like I have lost myself.
I found lockdown a contradiction in one sense I enjoyed it because I'm an introvert and not having to interact with people felt like a blessing but I wonder if it's turned into a curse because now I very rarely leave the house and I am definitely isolated.
Add to that a relationship with my husband that he has little emotional investment in, a sex life that ended abruptly about 3 years ago and has barely resumed since, family that I'm estranged from, no friends, and lots of responsibility and I just feel like I survive but not live.
I am full of well meaning and good intentions but honestly it feels like I'm gaslighting myself at this point (a habit I picked up from narc parents) now I do it to myself.)
Always feels like I'm promising myself things that I then have little motivation to carry out, in other words I'm just living in my head
I'm not neuro typical either just to make things even harder (and neither are 2 of my children).
I feel like the anxiety is the worst I regularly feel on edge and apprehensive dreading the next meltdown or someone getting sick, or a problem arising or something being complicated. 🥴 I just feel like my nervous system struggles to handle it?

I did use drink and cigarettes in the past to alleviate that sense, but I stopped and honestly sometimes I miss it (temporary relief)
Yeah this is turning into a right dirge isn't it, I think I was a victim of narcissistic abuse growing up and in my marriage and they groom you with highs (love bombing) and extremes of feeling, like a rush of blood to the head, and I think somewhere along the line I got addicted to feeling unbalanced (high and then low) and loved the idea of a exciting and stimulating exotic life, we lived in Albania for a while and I was captivated by the sun, the beauty, the food ,the culture and that sense of feeling radiantly alive.
I felt beautiful and sensuous, and feminine, and then I came back to live in London and it was a shock to the system, I was alone my husband works all the time, my kids needed lots of attention and yes I feel invisible.
I admit it I have had times of being spoilt and that makes me hard to relate to or be sympathetic towards, but then again I was spoilt because (like my husband now) my parents didn't want to invest any time or effort on me, it was it's own way of just abandoning a child, and I found it difficult afterwards to accept boundaries or discipline and despite being considered bright at school I just flunked out, so I have that regret as well, I cut off my nose to spite my face (self sabotage) and now the guilt looms in my head, always ready to remind me of what I could have been, but look at what I ended up being (a stay at home carer ) who doesn't get any respite.
I don't resent my kids (sorry if that's how it comes across) more I'm angry at myself for being foolish, for believing people who lie and hoodwink and manipulate and just use me, and for not having the sense to fight for a better life, instead of being stuck at people pleasing mode, which predictably enough isn't pleasing anyone let alone me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yes and no, I love my husband dearly (yes sometimes I could hit him over the head with a shovel 🤨) but I couldn't be without him He really is my best friend soulmate and lover rolled in to one.
We have been together 14 years married for 3 the life we planned together didn't go to plan (it turns out I can't have children i have 2 steps) so even though we are happy we will never be truly happy because we will never have the family together that we so desperately wanted, hope that makes sense.
I'm almost 44 and that part of my life is over now and I feel more settled in myself. I went to some very dark places throughout my infertility stage but thankfully I have come through that now and I can cope with life again.
We definitely get out and about more and do more as a couple now and we are as happy as we can be without our own family. 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm not happy. Broke off a relationship with a man I thought I would marry two years ago and ever since then (and even during the relationship to be perfectly honest) my life is one boring uniform day after another. Lockdowns didn't help of course. Neither does working from home full time.

I work, I walk the dog, I watch telly, I sleep. Repeat.

I have no idea where any of the excitement went that I used to have about life. I feel utterly old and used up but I haven't acheived half of what I once thought I would be capable of. But I have no motivation to try either. 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I am not too sure how to start this off but I guess the question is as it says. Is anyone really happy?

I am happy, in general, with my life but I just have this feeling there is so much more. I’ve been told by friends/partner/therapist that I tend to fantasise a lot so I find it hard to distinguish if I am unhappy or if this is just the way life is for “normal” people and not the jet setting, romance movies where everyone has a gaggle of girlfriends, a soulmate husband and fun filled family Christmases.

I felt like this for a long time - that there was always something more out there and if I could just get my hands on it I’d be happy. So I worked harder to the point of exhaustion, I bought more things that everyone else seemed to be getting joy from. I went more places… it was never enough and it never made me any happier.

A huge part of my constant striving for more was to do with my childhood and ultimately never being good enough for my parents despite being successful and their negativity has also leeched into adult life.

It took me years to understand it and since I have I’ve set clear boundaries where they’re held at arms length, surrounded myself with people that enrich my life and I’ve stepped away from posting much on social media.

I hadn’t realised how problematic the likes of Instagram had become in my life until I had a family bereavement and it was like a lightbulb moment for me - that none of that tit ever mattered and buying a new water bottle or gym wear that all these influencers advertise wouldn’t make me happy.

You’re obviously already in therapy so it’s definitely worthwhile continuing to explore what you are already exploring but to provide some reassurance… I’m the happiest I’ve ever been right now after years of feeling the way you described in your post.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you for this timely thread.
It it possible to have a mid life crisis at 58? I guess you would have to call it a bordering on old age crisis!
I am currently going through a bout of depression, triggered mostly by the death of a very close friend, in December. My partner and I, are organising his wake. During this weekend, the task became more problematic, than I would like it to be. I honestly feel like I don't want to attend the wake, it would mean interacting with some people that I have not gotten on well with in the past. I also have a social phobia, which makes things really difficult.
There are other things going on, I am really overweight, and I am unhappy with my appearance. Please don't advice me to diet, I don't need to hear that right now.
I could ramble on for quite a few more paragraphs, but I will leave it at that for now.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes and no, I love my husband dearly (yes sometimes I could hit him over the head with a shovel 🤨) but I couldn't be without him He really is my best friend soulmate and lover rolled in to one.
We have been together 14 years married for 3 the life we planned together didn't go to plan (it turns out I can't have children i have 2 steps) so even though we are happy we will never be truly happy because we will never have the family together that we so desperately wanted, hope that makes sense.
I'm almost 44 and that part of my life is over now and I feel more settled in myself. I went to some very dark places throughout my infertility stage but thankfully I have come through that now and I can cope with life again.
We definitely get out and about more and do more as a couple now and we are as happy as we can be without our own family. 💔
This is my journey too - at 40 starting to make peace with it but feel exactly as you do/did. I spoke to someone who is a bit older last week and she said that the dark times do pass and in the end you learn to live with a different life you imagined but one that could be wonderful all the same.

• Heart
No. I’m happy with the things in my life and I’m grateful to all the lovely people I have, my boyfriend etc. could I be happier - sure. I think to be truly happy, everything has to work in sync. Happiness for each individual is different. As humans we are constantly working towards the ‘next thing’ - the state of the world atm I doubt anyone is truly truly happy.. again, it depends on circumstance. That’s why I love the ‘grateful’ thread on here. Life should be more about those little wins and little moments of joy, remarkable or not.

Reactions: 6
For me happiness comes and goes throughout the day or week. I’m grateful for my savings account and my flat that’s all my own. I do sometimes dream of having a house full of people but truthfully I would enjoy it for five minutes, maybe 2 days, before I want to run back to my life.
Sometimes it feels like in utero I made a deal with the devil — I have a lot of things that society says we should want but at the same time sacrificed having things that bring meaning like friends and family. I have a boyfriend and now his best friend is also my good friend. If anything happened to my relationship I would be quite lost.
The periods of my life that I look back on and feel like I was thriving coincide with when I set aside part of my day to learn something new. It could be any subject it just can’t come from social media. Those times give me a sense of accomplishment, happiness, and joy.

• Heart
No. I’m happy with the things in my life and I’m grateful to all the lovely people I have, my boyfriend etc. could I be happier - sure. I think to be truly happy, everything has to work in sync. Happiness for each individual is different. As humans we are constantly working towards the ‘next thing’ - the state of the world atm I doubt anyone is truly truly happy.. again, it depends on circumstance. That’s why I love the ‘grateful’ thread on here. Life should be more about those little wins and little moments of joy, remarkable or not.
Ive really been trying to cultivate those little wins for myself. Im naturally quite shy/nervous not to say or do the wrong thing and i felt quite friendless and like I didnt fit in.
Ive been trying to invite others out and arrange meals/coffee shop trips with others and build friendships and its really helped. Even just having things to look forward to lile taking my family to theatre has made me happy. Something to look forward to become things to look back on happily.

Reactions: 2
This is my journey too - at 40 starting to make peace with it but feel exactly as you do/did. I spoke to someone who is a bit older last week and she said that the dark times do pass and in the end you learn to live with a different life you imagined but one that could be wonderful all the same.
Bless you, I was at the lowest I could of been for a long while but with time it does get easier. I won't say it ever goes away, It doesn't but you do learn to live a different life that indeed can be amazing. Sending you love for the next part of your journey ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'd say I'm happy. I've not always been able to say that about my life but I can safely say so at the moment.

My husband and I aren't 'all over each other' and we might argue occasionally, but I would definitely say he makes me happy. We've been together nearly 11 years and I still look forward to seeing him after work every day.

I like my job and feel like I have a good work/life balance. I have good friends I talk to a lot and see when I can. I'd love to be skinny and to have a beautifully clean house, but things are going well.

It's important not to compare yourself to other people and think 'what if', but also if there are things about your life that are actively making you unhappy then I think those things need to change.

• Heart
Reactions: 6