Irritating Film Cliches

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
'Nerdy' Girl & popular boy

She takes glasses off, puts a dress on and brushes her hair down...OMG you're so hot

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Leaving the curtains wide open (no blinds or anything), with the lights on, while characters get changed, have sex etc.

Camera pulls back to show villain watching them.

Well if you JUST DRAW THE BLOODY CURTAINS no one would be able to see you would they??

• Haha
Reactions: 9
People in a house at night. they hear a weird noise, and someone asks "what was that?"

How the hell does anyone know, it's a weird noise, dummy!

And why do people stare at the phone when someone hangs up on them?

Reactions: 2
It also seems in America no one closes the curtains when they go to sleep so they're lying in bed with light shining in. How do they sleep?

When the lead stars press the button for an elevator/lift, the doors always open straightaway. No faffing about waiting

Reactions: 4
When they show someone working in a low paid job but the low pay doesn't match the lifestyle. Cue someone like anne hathaway or jennifer lawrence walking into a cutesy roomy apartment holding a huge bunch of fresh flowers that they place in a fancy vase. They have an enviable wardrobe of clothes, salon finished hair and they spend most of the film eating out or sitting in fancy bars.

Reactions: 6
It’s the women having a baby thing 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ “Oh my water broke” - did it?? Why aren’t you wet then? Why isn’t there a puddle? “I need to go to the hospital” - with no contractions? Mate you could have hours to go yet! “Baby’s here” - completely clean, no sign of blood or anything, wide eyed, alert and the size of a 3 month old. And mum is up out of bed, in skinny jeans the next day. Lovely.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
It’s the women having a baby thing 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ “Oh my water broke” - did it?? Why aren’t you wet then? Why isn’t there a puddle? “I need to go to the hospital” - with no contractions? Mate you could have hours to go yet! “Baby’s here” - completely clean, no sign of blood or anything, wide eyed, alert and the size of a 3 month old. And mum is up out of bed, in skinny jeans the next day. Lovely.
And as soon as the baby is born that’s it all over everyone seems to leave, what about the after birth?? 😂😂

People in a house at night. they hear a weird noise, and someone asks "what was that?"

How the hell does anyone know, it's a weird noise, dummy!

And why do people stare at the phone when someone hangs up on them?
I do that 🤦🏼‍♀️😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
• Computers that bleep. The more high tech, the more they bleep.
• In fighting scenes, the actors are constantly grunting and snarling. People fighting in real life usually don’t make that much vocal noise.
• In action movies, important fights just happen to occur in precipitously high places

• Computers that bleep. The more high tech, the more they bleep.
• In fighting scenes, the actors are constantly grunting and snarling. People fighting in real life usually don’t make that much vocal noise.
• In action movies, important fights just happen to occur in precipitously high places
Moreover, in some older SF films you always had computers with lots of flashing lights - usually red or yellow - but they were never labelled up, so no one had the foggiest what they did!

Reactions: 1
man and women who hate each other at the beginning of the film for some kind of petty reason, forced to work together on some ridiculous thing, often crime related, end up falling in love by the end

Reactions: 7
- Family moves into eerie looking home, not doing any research on said home before moving in, says hello to their new “out of sorts” neighbour who always (in these films) has that deep Southern accent and is old as time and tells funky stories about the property’s history, they shrug it off as old age and happily skip back to their wood mite infested house, things are getting spooky, researches about the house, shock horror! The house is haunted! Storyline unfolds with 40 priests, one of the kids becoming feral or either couple eating up a bad spirit and takes over their body. Always ends up with “they’re happy now...or ARE THEY?”

Other cliches I hate:
- 2 people (in their 30’s usually) are bored of being single. Annoying friends take them out for the night. Bump into the other person. Unnecessary storyline ensues. Both fall in love.
- In some way (and what it feels like for me) there are so many films of parent’s kids going missing and either parent goes on a mission to save them. I think we already got the gist with the first movie.
- CGI talking dogs and cats. What was the reason? Why do they keep pumping out one time after time?
- Outcast girl gets bullied by popular clique. Storyline of Outcast vs Popular clique. Boom. Clique is dead, Outcast falls in love with popular boy that was with popular girl. The end.
- That character cliche of said character who everyone thinks is “nice and sweet” actually really is an hole.

• Haha
Long thread, it may have been mentioned but i didn't see it, so..

Trope i hate most is what I call the "Annoyed idiot" trope.
It involves a partner of a Doctor, cop, CEO, lawyer etc that has married this person knowing the job they do, enjoyed the perks of the big homes and nice cars, but is now annoyed by the job their partner does.
"I married a cop, now I'm annoyed they're working as a cop"
Idiots..

It also seems in America no one closes the curtains when they go to sleep so they're lying in bed with light shining in. How do they sleep?
This!!!! If on ground floor do people not look in? Lurkers watching you sleep? Any floor. Lights on at night anyone can see in

The haunted/scary basements

The female ditz/damsel in distress/needing a leading bloke to save the day

Reactions: 1
Lawyers or any office workers with super tidy office with no paper in sight. Lawyers that I know are super messy and they have tons of tit in the office.

ie. Suit. Harvey Spencer never had to work, all he does was chat and scheming lol where is the paperwork

When a character gets into drive someone else's car and they don't need to move the seat.

When they open a laptop and it is ready to use with plenty of charge on the battery.

When the villain takes the time to explain their plan in great detail to the protagonist, paving the way for an obvious escape.

Choreographed high school dance scenes.

The pretty blonde being the last survivor at the end of the horror movie when all her friends have been killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
  1. When someone is dying they'll always mumble something significant/romantic to their partner who is close by, before inevitably dying
  2. In buddy movies, especially involving cops, one will always be the straight, no-nonsense detective, while the other is streetwise, cocky rookie - neither of them get on until the very last 20 minutes of the film
  3. Spies are either English or German, and if the former they always speak in a Home Counties accent and never a Scouse, Manc or Brummie
  4. A bomb always has a big glowing digital clock telling everyone how long is left before "BOOM!" Inevitably, of course, the hero will either disarm the bomb with 2 seconds to spare; or will escape the building (usually with beautiful partner in tow) and run just far enough to be out danger when the bomb does go off!
  5. In war films an enemy soldier throws a grenade at the hero, but doesn't go off! So the hero picks it up and throws it back, whereby it goes off killing the soldier.
  6. In bank heist scenes, staff behind the counter look nervously between the raiders and the panic button, which is usually located where a robber can see what's going on. So why not put panic buttons on the floor which can be discreetly activated by foot
  7. When a cop is chasing a bad guy down into a subway train station, the bad guy always manages to hop onto a waiting train before the doors close and moves off, leaving the cop gasping for breath on the platform just seconds behind

When a character gets sacked from their job, they are told to immediately clear out their desk, then we see them leaving the office carrying everything in a cardboard box.

Reactions: 5
Usually in american films. Husband, wife and two kids sit down for dinner with about ten dishes of food spread out on the table - enough to feed ten people.