Irritating Film Cliches

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is it. I've found my most favourite thread! Here we go: (apologies if these have been mentioned before)

- The male lead (usually comedies) harasses the attractive woman until she eventually sees he's a good guy and it's deemed romantic.

- rape scenes

- when someone is sick and throws up so delicately with barely a noise and it all goes perfectly into the toilet bowl, and they just turn to the camera and look fine? no swollen face, no sick on their clothes, no need to scrub it off the toilet.

- massive amounts of food at breakfast time on a weekday. It's always people grabbing one thing while rushing out of the door leaving the mother sat at the table and I'm like... that woman has gone through all that effort and you've grabbed a slice of toast and ran.

- people doing things in the morning before they need to be at work/school. I watched pretty little liars once (not a film I know) and one of the main characters goes to her boyfriends house the whole other side of town (and we know it's the other side of town because he is her teacher so they can't be seen together and he lives in an apartment nearer the city and not in the suburbs because that is important context for the show!)
Firstly, how have you got time to drive at least 20 minutes before your 8am class to have a conversation with this guy? Secondly, HE WORKS AT YOUR SCHOOL. You could have just waited until he got to the exact same place that you're going!!

- people who clearly middle age writing the scripts for teenagers which means it's never anything remotely accurate to what a teenager would say or how they would behave.

- when they have kids but the houses are always tidy. This goes for tv shows as well but mainly soaps. How have you got 3 kids in a 2 bedroom house yet not a single toy on the floor?

- when someone has a cold or the flu and they have tissues scattered all over the bed like people actually do that in real life. Who sleeps in a pile of tissues?

- movies where the two main leads are romantically interested or involved and argue about something (that usually turns out to be a massive misunderstanding and they live happily ever after) and then the whole film is them being angry at each other/kissing another person/making snide comments when the whole thing could have been solved by a simple conversation.

- token characters i.e the token black friend, the token fat girl, the token gay guy, the token lesbian. I'm all for diversity in films obviously but these characters never get any kind of back story they're just there to tick a box or add to a stereotype.

- the smart girl who is actually attractive but doesn't see but everyone realises she's actually cool and then she feels good about herself basically cause everyone thinks she's cool.

- when the girl in the film gets self esteem boost cause the hot guy likes her and that's basically the whole film.

- when they kill off a character but then there's no mention of that character ever again.

- massive showdowns in public (usually in soaps it's in the pub). Doesn't happen in real life. But also, no one ever seems to get involved.

That's it for now but I'll be back with more I'm sure

Reactions: 6
People who are faced with something unbelievably emotional who stand against the wall then slide down to the floor to show just how affected they are.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I'm back with more. That took long didn't it!

When you never get an idea of the timing. You know it's a weekday cause they rush of to work etc but then you don't see them at work and it cuts to somewhere else and you're like ??? is it the weekend now? are we still in the same week? Is it a month later?

To add to above point: also when they start throwing around "I love you" and you're like .... how long has it been since you guys have known each other? Cause you met this morning? Are we still in the same day?

When the main character keeps making stupid decisions and then has to deal with the consequence of that stupid decision which leads to another stupid decision and you just want to launch your head at the nearest wall cause they're just so bleeping stupid and all of these situations could have been avoided if they had any common sense and didn't have the emotional intelligence of a grape!

Reactions: 3
When houses that are massive from the outside and have huge lounges, kitchens, offices etc don’t have any bedrooms. Someone comes to stay and has to sleep on the sofa, or the kids have to share a room to give up a bed.......there would be SPARE rooms in houses like that!

when people have sex in films and they just jump on each other and start grinding with no warm up so to speak

whenever that happens I just think geez that must hurt 🤣

Reactions: 5
when someone gets in an accident or fight and they're totally battered and bruised. Cut to the next scene and there's not a scratch on them

Reactions: 2
when people have sex in films and they just jump on each other and start grinding with no warm up so to speak

whenever that happens I just think geez that must hurt 🤣
Also when they’re done the man just rolls over, lays there and goes uhhhhh. Where is all the spunk??!!!! 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
In american films they don't sign off on phone calls with bye/see you/thanks, they just put the pgine down.

*Phone

Have been watching episodes of The X-Files, and typically whenever there's a suspenseful night scene the intended victim or the FBI investigators never think of switching on the lights in their homes or offices. Instead they just walk around in the dark peering in the gloom and saying "Hello? Is there anyone there?"

I realise such scenes do ramp up the suspense, but realistically/logically you just wouldn't do that!

Reactions: 2
Linked to lights, why does everyone sleep with a whole house of lights on in films?

In american films they don't sign off on phone calls with bye/see you/thanks, they just put the pgine down.

*Phone
That's what I noticed. Rude bunch!

You rarely see people on the toilet, maybe in some comedy films.

Virgins having great first time sex. (Not in all movies, but I've seen it a lot)

When the protaganist needs to steal some clothes they always fit.

In a few TV shows or movies when there's a London scene the song "London Calling" often plays, always showing a shot of a red telephone box and other obvious landmarks.

In American high school movies there are always a cartoon villainesque mean witch who lives to make the femlale protagonist's life hell.

People are always able to break into cars or houses and have a wire in their pocket to pry open doors. Or there's always one IT genius who can hack into a computer to get vital information that is needed.

Reactions: 4
In American thrillers the bad guy is mostly British.
Also noticed in some American films you have American actors trying to pull off British accents, and failing dismally!

• Haha
A victim is in hospital clinging onto life with a whole shedload of tubes and monitors plugged into him. He's been either stabbed, shot at, run over, beaten up, pushed off a cliff or just generally buggered about with.

The doctor tells the police waiting outside the room he's in no fit state to talk because he may die. Nevertheless you'll always get one cop who pushes the doc out the way, bursts into the room and starts firing off questions at the poor sod, who subsequently dies. And the cop turns around and mumbles "damn it!" and walks out in a huff

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Character orders a drink in a bar. Has short conversation with another character then gets up to leave and walks out, never having touched the drink they just ordered.

I don't know if this an American Thing, but in films you often see people in bars, fast food joints or cafes, leave their table and throw some paper money behind as a form of payment.

How does the person know how much the bill is without being told first? Doesn't he want any change? Has he paid enough? And what's stopping someone else walking past and pinching the money?

Reactions: 8