Irritating Film Cliches

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sure we've seen it many times when watching films: the intended victim (usually a young and pretty female) enters a house late at night, never bothers to switch on the lights but carries on doing what she's doing.

She hears a noise.

"Who's that?" she says in the shadows.

Nothing. She shrugs and carries on

Another noise

"Is someone there? This isn't funny. I know who you are! I'm calling the police"

Scared, but still doesn't bother switching the lights on

Walks into a dark room very quietly (still no lights). Door slowly closes behind her with a creak at the end. She turns round to see the murderer in the shadows. Lots of screams job done.

That's just one example of an irritating cliche that bugs the hell out of me. Another one is where a bad guy is caught and has his hands tied behind his back. But never tight enough because there's always something close by where he can release his bonds.

Any more to add?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
- Any onscreen attempts at "hacking" or use of any IT jargon to sound "smart"; usually accompanied by very quick typing and intense music
- Court room scenes with surprise witnesses or evidence; that's not how the legal system works!
- Running up the stairs to escape the killer; bad move, unless you have a panic room up there
- People who get knocked unconscious and get back up again no problem not long afterwards

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Just watched The Haunting of Bly Manor and was infuriated. Girl gets up in the night, in strange, spooky old Manor and doesn't turn on one light. As If.

Reactions: 13
The investigating a weird noise used to really bother me until I did just that one night, home alone in a flimsy nightie and no weapons.... haha

The whole "wait I can explain" trope bothers me.

Reactions: 8
  1. A shootout between good guy and bad guy. Bad guy's gun empties. Bad guy looks at his gun in amazement. Bad guy then gets shot
  2. Person on the phone talking to someone. Then that someone hangs up and phone goes dead. Person stares at phone in stunned amazement, and then shouts "Hello?"

Reactions: 8
Person will say, "I'm in" after hacking into someone's computer.

In slashers, the car won't start or phone signal cuts off at the worst moment.

Someone carries a paper bag of groceries with a baguette sticking out the top.

When a group of people are eating at the dinner table, one or two seats will be empty so none of the actors' backs are towards the camera.

Reactions: 9
Films involving London, Rome or Paris, will always have a familiar landmark from each.

Films set in prehistoric times always have people with perfect hair and teeth

All prison wardens are mild mannered on the outside, but angry sadistic psychopaths on the inside

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Successful stressed city girl goes back to her small town for Christmas, gets snowed in, meets small town guy, learns real meaning of life.

Aka every sky movie Christmas film ever.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Films involving London, Rome or Paris, will always have a familiar landmark from each.

Films set in prehistoric times always have people with perfect hair and teeth

All prison wardens are mild mannered on the outside, but angry sadistic psychopaths on the inside
And perfectly tamed eyebrows.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
People getting the bill and leaving their food or drink half finished at lunch/dinner.
Sort of in the same vein but when there’s a table full of breakfast food that would feed the 5000 and everyone takes a single bite of toast and a sip of orange juice then rush out the door

Reactions: 29
Actors holding take out coffee cups in mitten clad hands and scarf perfectly draped over a shoulder, takes sip, pretends it’s too hot to drink, starts talking to another character, but because the cup is empty, they gesticulate with their cup clad hands as if there is no hot water in the cup... can they not at least put hot water in the cup to make it believable?!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
or eats nothing!

Waking up in full glam and not a hair out of place

couple just had massive romp session and she has all her underwear still on

No-one has dog breath in the morning

Nice houses that are always spotless.

No-one ever spills the tea even when in the firing line. Oh I would be gushing every secret.

My biggest gripe and its more TV (soaps) than film is: Everyone goes to the cafe for a brew, everyone lives and works in the 'village' that is in the back arse of nowhere yet they are all ok for money.
Always eat out and they still have open pubs. Even when they are supposed to be poor every brew is not made at home but bought in the cafe then go to lunch in the pub. Oh sod off.

Reactions: 13
When people are carrying bags etc and they obviously are empty.

For God's sake, put something in them even if it's a brick.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
gets wet through in the pouring rain, staying in a tent in a wood, no sockets, no hairdryer - but then has perfectly styled dry hair and full face on

ARGH

Reactions: 7