Irritating Film Cliches

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Usually in american films. Husband, wife and two kids sit down for dinner with about ten dishes of food spread out on the table - enough to feed ten people.
Especially at breakfast, orange juice, pancakes, bacon,toast! Then the husband ( who's a cop) walks into kitchen doing his tie, slurps his coffe, says he's late then walks out of the door!

Reactions: 8
During sex scenes the woman is cumming from 20 seconds of penetration.

Reactions: 6
When something big happens (bomb, heist, fire etc.) it's often just before the central character plans to retire.

Reactions: 1
Characters waking from comas and just getting up and carrying on with life.
See 1st episode of TWD!
Wasting food.
Kids never being seen or always being asleep or looked after by another neighbour. Kids never get in the way of life in films or on soaps.

Empty take out cups, like at least fill them with water to act out the scene!
All cop shows usually American or American films, all grab the coffee pot for black coffee, I know a couple of Canadians and they love a coffee pot on the go but take cream & sugar in their coffee.

Not a movie but I hate in soaps when a new person/family moves in and there’s always an empty house, job and new boyfriend/girlfriend readily aavailable for them.
Also things like people driving in LA or a busy city who mange to park right outside the bank/office where they need to be.

Reactions: 7
May have been mentioned. When a dead body is found by a woman she screams and howls, like unbelievably ridiculous. When discovered by a man they are calm or even comfort the hysterical women 🤦🏼‍♀️
It's like no one else noticed it because we are so conditioned to think this is the norm.
I noticed this when I was about 14 it happens in film and on TV. It really pisses me off, it happens on literally every film/TV show even the most up to date ones.

Reactions: 3
When people move house and there are just a few boxes lying around and they are totally unfazed, calm and clean when, in reality, there should be stuff everywhere, you can't find your coat, you feel stinking and covered in dust and totally disorganised.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
And they go to the local market to buy their best gladrags for the night! People in soaps have never heard of transport to get to city centres for shopping and online deliveries are non existent.

I'm actually watching classic eastenders on gold at the moment (Lockdown boredom) and completely agree with all the posts.

It amazes me that people buy all their clothes on the market even though the west end is 10 mins away by tube. Also if they go out for a night, it will only be in walford. The new restaurant, then The Vic. God forbid they visit any other borough of London.

It also amazes me how many people are asked to "hold the fort" on the market for 10 mins, or jump behind the bar!

Washing machines are also thin on the ground, and apparantely everyone can afford a cooked breakfast every morning from the caff as well as a swift half at The Vic each lunchtime. Also if you leave Albert Square for good there are only two ways out, the tube station or a black cab. If you do come back years later someone (usually Pat) will have a room for you, no questions asked.

Children also disappear for several years (Martin) and then come back with a different head.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm actually watching classic eastenders on gold at the moment (Lockdown boredom) and completely agree with all the posts.

It amazes me that people buy all their clothes on the market even though the west end is 10 mins away by tube. Also if they go out for a night, it will only be in walford. The new restaurant, then The Vic. God forbid they visit any other borough of London.

It also amazes me how many people are asked to "hold the fort" on the market for 10 mins, or jump behind the bar!

Washing machines are also thin on the ground, and apparantely everyone can afford a cooked breakfast every morning from the caff as well as a swift half at The Vic each lunchtime. Also if you leave Albert Square for good there are only two ways out, the tube station or a black cab. If you do come back years later someone (usually Pat) will have a room for you, no questions asked.

Children also disappear for several years (Martin) and then come back with a different head.
This is so spot on!

Reactions: 2
Linked to lights, why does everyone sleep with a whole house of lights on in films?
Also they just leave their house to go to work and all the lights are on - like, do you have money to burrrrrrn?

Edit to add: also, when characters run out of their home to chase after a crying friend or whatever, they might grab their coat but you never see them grab keys, so I always think “you’re going to get locked out!”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Also they just leave their house to go to work and all the lights are on - like, do you have money to burrrrrrn?

Edit to add: also, when characters run out of their home to chase after a crying friend or whatever, they might grab their coat but you never see them grab keys, so I always think “you’re going to get locked out!”
I have mentioned here I love the crappy channel 5 afternoon crime films, there it is toally the opposite, they always seem to be eating etc in a house with no lights on for no reason!

• Haha
(Usually in American made-for-TV movies):
  • The character(s) will walk straight into the main office part of the police station - in real life they'd either be asked to wait at reception or led to a meeting room
  • Anyone can call a telephone company to question charges on someone's bill - in real life that wouldn't fly at all, due to privacy laws that exist just about everywhere

Reactions: 3
Ordering "a beer" in a bar
this always reminds me of being in a cafe and someone ordering "a coffee" therr was a huge queue and it was obvious the barista was angry at the lack of specification 😂