Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Readread

VIP Member
My husband is Irish - Cork (I’m Scottish) we’ve been together for nearly 7 years and there’s still days go by where I just smile and nod because I don’t have a clue what he’s saying! Drunken conversations in our house must be interesting for an outsider 😂 I really bloody love Ireland more than anywhere on earth though ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

Thechubbymoaner

VIP Member
This thread is making me a bit homesick 😂
Me too!

I couldn't stand Bosco, was the squeaky voice I think. Oh, and was it just me, or did anyone find Eugene Lambert from 'Wanderly Wagon' a bit...off?
Yes! I went to see a love show of the wanderly wagon in the 80s.. weird as fuck

Barry’s ghost train was terrifying. It was for sale a while back, I think the new owners are intending to reopen it?

Who remembers Water World?
I remember splash world and celt world in tramore

Oh the nostalgia of this thread I love it! Blocks of HB ice cream decorated with Smarties as a birthday cake, mikado biscuits and bags of tayto, bottles of red lemonade and tanora(I live near the cork border in Waterford). Blas in Waterford or having a skull of bread in cork. Everyone going to mosney or trabolgan but we were always too poor to go. The mad excitement when a neighbour would have mass in their house. Everyone going quiet to hear who has died on the local radio (along with 'did you hear who's dead'). Playing dares at the back of the bus on a school tour and being dared to shift someone for 10 seconds. Our lives revolved around silage bales- as kids it was playing on silege bales and as teenagers it was shifting or smoking silk cut purple behind the bales. Having potato wedge rolls. Av8 shoes. Hmmmm what else....I'm homesick

Last edited:

imaginedragon83

VIP Member
these are still a Christmas staple!!
if they don’t taste stale you got a bad box 😕
I love the chocolate kimberley...heaven. I cant buy them though or the whole box will be gone in one go. Happened manys a time

Anyone have any good expressions.
My granda used to always say "boys a dear"
Years later seen this online and made me laugh hadnt heard it in years

• Haha
  • Heart

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
I grew up in the North near the border.
We used to go over the border on sunny days to the beach and come home with the "good butter", the "proper white bread", the "free state tayto" and Irish Cadbury.
My grandad used to always come with us and go to his favourite pub while we were at the beach
When the army border checkpoints were still a thing if they stopped us my grandad (who was the biggest joker and messer) uSd to shout really loud "ah shite they're gona find the guns in the boot now". I was only about 7 or 8 and used to cry my eyes out thinking the soldiers would take him away and he would be laughing his head off 🤣🤣
Fabulous memories 😂 but scary times. Screenshot_20200604-211927~2.png

• Haha
  • Heart

Bree

Watch your ear, and I'd why where's it going? and then you get a " clip across the ear" . Getting belted was a normalcy that would not be tolerated today.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Justhereforacreep

I remember every time my Granny won a few quid at the bingo she’s say “Bundoran here I come” 😂

I hope someone is on my wavelength with this one- why do all the contestants on winning streak always look so miserable? They’re on a show where everyone wins big money but they always look like someone’s just pissed in their coddle 🙈
We cannot talk in my nanas house when the angelas are on, and secondly when winning streak is on. My nana judges all the outfit choices 'well I hope she gets something now sure isnt her cardigan faaaaaaaablas'

• Haha

imaginedragon83

VIP Member
My friend who lived on the border in Fermanagh, saying soldiers would knock on their bedroom window; when they were teenagers in bed late at night and scare the life out of them. I can’t imagine growing up in that situation.
I was 14 the time of the good Friday agreement so most of it was when I was too young. My dad said he found me about 7 or 8 watching some news report about anotjer bomb, legs and arms crossed like an old fishwife tutting and saying "poor ireland daddy, poor ireland"...such a granny 🤣🤣🤣

In saying that there was quite a few big things happened in my early teens that I remember all too clearly and I think that's why I love derry girls so much I was that age when that is set...was all so familiar.

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Cavan - behave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
bogger. 😬
Sure they eat their dinner from the hob rather than have to share
My husband is Irish. When we first met I found so many things confusing. Why was he doing his 'messages' when was he was shopping? Why was his dressing gown a 'house coat'? And his welly boots are water boots? Why is the airing cupboard a hot press? Most confusingly why does he have a slice of bread and butter with every. single. meal? 😂
are you going for the messages 😂
and having a good house coat 😂 Is so Irish.

saying a prayer to St. Anthony when you lose something.

• Haha
  • Heart

Tinkerbell cat

VIP Member
Anyone in the North remember Julian who presented corrie etc coming on in the evenings?

When I was younger, about 10 maybe... mum, dad, my brother and me were in the car and came to the traffic lights, my dad saw Julian walking down the street with his wee briefcase... my dad wound the window and shouted out ''Julian!!'', wee Julian looked after all smiles and waved, then my dad shouts out ''Ye bastard ye!'' and drove on :ROFLMAO: Poor Julian was standing there the mouth wide open, then laugh and smiled as we drove on.. swear my dad only meant it in Jest :LOL:

• Haha

Thechubbymoaner

VIP Member
My husband is Irish. When we first met I found so many things confusing. Why was he doing his 'messages' when was he was shopping? Why was his dressing gown a 'house coat'? And his welly boots are water boots? Why is the airing cupboard a hot press? Most confusingly why does he have a slice of bread and butter with every. single. meal? 😂
I was born in England but raised in Ireland so im English in a lot of ways but know the sayings and they crack me up-my husband is Irish Irish and he's always about doing the delph, and the glass of milk with the meal too, no matter what. And a glass of 'mineral' too 🤣🤣🤣[/QUOTE]

• Haha

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
Screenshot_20200604-214452~2.png
Oh I love these😍 my gran used to call Mikados "wooly backs" 😂😂 anyone else have a favourite Irish biscuit?

• Haha
  • Heart

Esmae-Chenai

Tayto crisps
TK lemonade
Barnbrack and finding the ring
Bacon & cabbage
Country spring minerals
Irish stew
Cups of tea
The immersion
The village the town & Dublin
Turf on the fire
Club orange
I will yea
Bonfire at halloween & trick or treat
Midnight mass
Denny rashers
Galty cheese
Kerrygold butter
Avonmore milk
Pudding
The fry up
The cure
The wren on St.Stephens day
St. Brigids cross
Not a bother
The GAA all Ireland
Hurling
The puc fada
The late late show
Rte news
Boggers
Weddings and funerals
Horses
Snack box
Biddy & Miley Glenroe
Fair city
Dustin the turkey & the Den
Bingo
Culchies
Michael Collins
Wanderly wagon
Irish dancing
Ceili & rebel music
Bosco
Supermacs
Townies
First holy communion & confirmation
Winning streak
Gobshites
Bobby Sands
Network 2
Eegit
Farmers tan
Bull MCabe
Perri winkles & seaweed
Having a session
God help us
Farmers shopping day on the 8th
Paddys day
Spuds
Jaysus christ
The troubles
Wooden spoon
Into the West
The shift
Cattle & sheep
Father Ted
Working on the bog
Mr.Freeze
Boxty
The punt
Fighting
Grand
The ride
St. Anthony
Willie clancy week
Thatched roofs
Flat 7up for a cold
Great drying on the line today
Nana & her prayers
Grandad and his pipe
6 oclock angelus
Lighting candles for people
Tinkers & gyppos
Ya bollix
Paddy caps
The fleadh
We're promised rain mary
Galway races
Discos
Hows she cutting
Slurry
Folklore
Shite
Potholes
Electric fences
99 ice creams
I will in me hole
Riverdance
Shamrocks
Kitchen presses
The hot press
Yer man, yer one
Rose of Tralee
Brennans bread
The gards
You spa
Banjaxed
Oul fella, oul one
Irish college
Aerlingus
The local
Notions
Waterford crystal
Coddle
The babby
Penny jellies
Family & friends
Nosey neighbours
The junior & leaving cer
Away with the fairies
Grand chap
Sham
Langer
Craic
Penneys
Curry chips
Thickos
As gaeilge
Bus eirean - iarnrid eirean
Guinness
House parties
Scenery
Green fields
Culture
Heritage
Traditions
Pride

Grand little country all the same

• Heart
  • Haha

Londoncailín

VIP Member
I grew up in the North near the border.
We used to go over the border on sunny days to the beach and come home with the "good butter", the "proper white bread", the "free state tayto" and Irish Cadbury.
My grandad used to always come with us and go to his favourite pub while we were at the beach
When the army border checkpoints were still a thing if they stopped us my grandad (who was the biggest joker and messer) uSd to shout really loud "ah shite they're gona find the guns in the boot now". I was only about 7 or 8 and used to cry my eyes out thinking the soldiers would take him away and he would be laughing his head off 🤣🤣
I love how political Tayto was 😂

• Haha

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
I agree with all you say. I think it is all about money and inheritance. There is a famous photo on the Internet of Bishop Casey and Fr Cleary either side of the Pope in his popemobile when he visited Ireland in 1979, two of the biggest hypocrites!
Ya I guess it was a bit hypocritical. the church of England vicars can marry have families and carry out their duties just fine, if the Vatican had followed suit there wouldn't be half the scandals I'm betting.
Eamonn Casey did amazing work for Irish Emigrants in the UK, he would be anti Trump and refused to meet Reagan or back his visit - I'm not 100%sure what that was about it was a human rights thing. And unfortunately he's remembered for having sex, something most of us do twice a year, birthdays AND Xmas 😂😂😉

• Haha
Growing up in rural Ireland bingo

Learning to drive in a field in a 1986 white toyota corrolla

Knowing at least one set of families to fall out over land, or the notorious "right of way"

Going to the local pub when underage, but it being OK once the publican is satisfied that your parents know you are there

Using stacks of round bales for the most unreal games of hide and seek etc

Getting your first shift at the local teenage disco (bonus point if the Vengaboys was playing)

• Haha

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
Was educated by the nuns in primary at the time they were scary but still friends with the girl I used to sit with - the nuns had their own sayings

If you were caught looking around you were a "noticebox" 😂😂
If you were stupid you were a "Duffer" 😂😂

• Haha