Interior Design masters

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched on catch up so as ever notes app’d my thoughts as my fella doesn’t want to watch it with me so I don’t have anyone to talk to 😂😂
I felt like this was a really crappy brief. They were in cloud cuckoo land - not a chance in hell can any regular renter be painting their flat like that!! And the whole “oh they’ll be taking it all with them” versus “oh you didn’t use the furniture provided” was really confusing to me.
the one thing that really pissed me off was nobody considered smart storage?? I was expecting to see like clever designed ottoman beds or beds with storage under. Sofas with drawers in etc. As a renter, I’ve got a 1 bed so chose a flat with 2 big storage cupboards. Whereas they all went a bit OTT with pointless furniture like Roisin having about 10 tables. Ben had an IKEA KALLAX unit but then his bedroom layout looked like a student halls bedroom rather than a young professional’s.

Attachments

Reactions: 13
Strange that Ben wasn’t on the sofa, the crappy tape on the cupboards should have got him there alone, never mind the red bedroom.

Francesca had to go, hers was easily the worst. I don’t know why she thinks she’s good at making light fittings 🤣

I was a bit disappointed with Matt’s, thought he’d do well with this brief.

I see next week is shops week, I love shops week. Maybe they’ve kept Ben in for entertainment value in the shops.

Reactions: 19
What on earth went on this week?! 5 mins in and I was rolling my eyes telling Francesca to shut up and to stop with those ridiculous faces (and I have an expressive face!).
I thought the brief was basically show the tenants what they can do to jujus the place up to make the crazy overpriced rental nicer but all at your cost and hidden under the disguise of reusing elsewhere. Summed up a lot of landlords, you do the work and depending on how good it is you can leave it as is or pay to put it all back to plain. Then there was the whole keep the furniture you’re given but isn’t it furniture you take with you not bespoke pieces of furniture you make for a space.
Anyway:
Antony: Clear winner. They made a point of saying he researched which I think was a hint to him being the overall winner. His design definitely appealed to what young professionals want but come on, which renter is making all that panelling and then taking it with them.
Ben: The sofa faced the kitchen and Michelle liked that space? She makes no sense! Space would have worked better if he flipped the sofa to the other side to create that zone and look out the window. The silver foil, nope! Roisin was right, it is like a spaceship. The bedroom was horrendous.
Matt: I quite liked his overall design but wish there was a little more texture and that screen was rubbish. A point was made about people not taking his headboard with them when they move on but not Antony’s panelling? Something missing but didn’t deserve the sofa over that wally Ben
Rosin, The green following through definitely made the place feel bigger overall. Great idea and the most logical about the breakfast bar and I can see where she was coming from about adding a second space. She was the only one who thought of a couple living there though which is why I think she did that but it wasn’t needed. The third table definitely wasn’t needed but least that doubled as a side table and folded away. I don’t like those bobble frames but they’re very ‘in'. Not the best but not the worst
Francesca: Well, where do I start? The waves? The huge work from home space which was based on slime (wtf is this millennial crap she spouts? I watched 90’s TV as a kid and hate fecking slime!) The cardboard nursery mobile? I’d no words for her overall space. It was shockingly bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I really enjoyed the brief and it was a case that Anthony really understood the task rather than showing off that gave him the edge IMO. Ben was showing some nods to the bauhaus design aesthetic which I think the guest judge liked, I think that saved him.

I get that they were show apartments but they will have wanted to show what people are allowed to do in their own flats. It's no good showing a blue wobbly edged room that will be a nightmare to repaint before you leave. Anthony was showing this which would benefit the renter as they could easily go back to neutral at a low cost and also the owners, as they are less likely to have damage to the property

Reactions: 6
I really enjoyed the brief and it was a case that Anthony really understood the task rather than showing off that gave him the edge IMO. Ben was showing some nods to the bauhaus design aesthetic which I think the guest judge liked, I think that saved him.

I get that they were show apartments but they will have wanted to show what people are allowed to do in their own flats. It's no good showing a blue wobbly edged room that will be a nightmare to repaint before you leave. Anthony was showing this which would benefit the renter as they could easily go back to neutral at a low cost and also the owners, as they are less likely to have damage to the property
There’s not a chance they’d be allowed to paint full stop let alone what the hell Francesca did - especially in a new build development

Reactions: 9
the brief was strange this week - they had an audience (young professionals) but no client - was the client meant to be the tenant or the landlord?! if the tenant, the removable aspects make sense as they need to get their security deposit back and leave behind minimal damage when they leave. if the landlord, they'd need something cosy but universally appealing (to the audience) but would last through x no. of tenants for x years. probably a similar longevity required from a commercial space. the lack of specified tenant meant a lot of them (all 3 on the sofa) interpreted it as the same as week one and just did their own signature style. if they had an audience persona (kinda like what banjo used to do) to base it off it would've been a lot more interesting to view and they'd be able to judge it more fairly too.

i think michelle wanted a gotcha moment at deliberations, like ha there was a catch you were meant to use as much supplied furniture as possible. hence why anthony and ben got through, when in reality they found more issues w ben's space overall then they did roisin's (i really liked her space but understood what they were getting at w the tables). but if that was in the brief as optional then they shouldn't be penalised for it imo. anthony did the best job, but probs bc he basically made up his own brief / audience through demographic research etc.

Reactions: 16
It's not the first time I've seen Matisse as an inspiration on one of these shows and it always looks childish; he is the Paddington of Interior Designs. I have very little knowledge in art, but I feel abstract, shape-based visuals work in a frame when the ratio of shape to 'container' is right and if you want to use them in a bigger space you need to scale up the shapes and reduce their number, or frame them - Francesca's squiggles were too many and too small.
As annoying as Francesca was to watch, it was entertaining to see the contrast between her goofy, charicature, 'on' persona and having to take the clown mask off on the sofa.

A point was made about people not taking his headboard with them when they move on but not Antony’s panelling?
Or Anthony's removable backsplash. As Matt's headboard was sectional, I don't see a problem, it would probably fit in a different space.
I didn't care for Anthony's panelling and imho the workspace/desk was very narrow, I could not work on that for more than an hour.

I liked elements of Ben's design - mainly because I have something very similar to his yellow paint job in one of my rooms and LOVE it. The combination of primary colours isn't for me. The red bedroom reminded me of Sex and the City's Mr. Big opting to have a red wall in his bedroom. His little wardrobe space was nice, although the Kallax unit blocked a full set of outlets.
It might prove beneficial for Matt to have been on the sofa this week (he was never in danger) and get some feedback.
Roisin's picture frames looked like Lego.

During the judging there were several shots of some very shoddy paint work.
I love when they rope in the builders for their little comedy bits.

Matts only really issue was editing (and that screen).

Bit worried about him working with Ben next week. Doesn't seem an obvious fit.

The brief wasn't very clear. Are you working for the landlord to attract renters, or are you working for the renters to show how they can use the space?

Matts only really issue was editing (and that screen).

Bit worried about him working with Ben next week. Doesn't seem an obvious fit.

The brief wasn't very clear. Are you working for the landlord to attract renters, or are you working for the renters to show how they can use the space?
Yes this is exactly what I was thinking!! It was a really bad brief. I’m so anti landlord as well so duck doing all that stuff to increase the value of THEIR property when you eventually leave.

So far we’ve only had (correct me if I’m wrong) a SINGLE challenge where they’ve actually had to sit down with the client and gauge what they want - which is what being a working interior designer is all about. This is what I miss about the old show The Great Interior Design Challenge because each week they had to put together a moodboard and sit down with the client then adapt their style/designs to what the client wants.
---
It's not the first time I've seen Matisse as an inspiration on one of these shows and it always looks childish; he is the Paddington of Interior Designs.
also Francesca just took it way too literal and gimmicky. She could’ve done a homage to Matisse by using the colour palette from one/two of his most famous works and incorporated prints, and used furniture and soft furnishings to do the “squiggles” and curves.

• Heart
I think Francesca on the sofa had learnt what kept her in the week before, ie admitting a lot of it was a mistake and that she'd really really learnt a lot (when she obviously hadn't). But that didn't work this time.
Agree with everyone the brief was confusing.
And have they completely dropped the upcycling or repurposing one item feature? They've only done it once I think.

Reactions: 12
So far we’ve only had (correct me if I’m wrong) a SINGLE challenge where they’ve actually had to sit down with the client and gauge what they want - which is what being a working interior designer is all about. This is what I miss about the old show The Great Interior Design Challenge because each week they had to put together a moodboard and sit down with the client then adapt their style/designs to what the client wants.
exactly this - so many things are glossed over or ignored completely for the sake of good telly. like if a renter was making over their whole flat, they wouldn't have access to a team of trades and would spend more time on it than just a weekend! and even with the cafes last week any design discussion was verbal, and definitely not filmed right before the makeover, meaning there was no time to work on changes to the concept.

i think a few series ago for shops week they had the client come into the studio and choose between two of the designers ideas. even that would result in an entirely new moodboard, picking and choosing bits from both, but then you wouldn't get the 'frustrated loser being a bad team player' content that ends up being the reason they're sent home. it's frustrating to watch the lack of mood boards, material palettes, floor plans etc when it wouldn't be that hard to implement and would give the viewer a chance to be more invested in the designers - like i've said before this would definitely work as a bts / spin off show on iplayer or youtube.

Reactions: 14
They’ve not done the beach hut this season either. That’s always an interesting one as they have to come up with clever ways of using such a tiny space. Not sure many of them would be upto it this season - they seem quite a weak bunch design-wise.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
exactly this - so many things are glossed over or ignored completely for the sake of good telly. like if a renter was making over their whole flat, they wouldn't have access to a team of trades and would spend more time on it than just a weekend! and even with the cafes last week any design discussion was verbal, and definitely not filmed right before the makeover, meaning there was no time to work on changes to the concept.

i think a few series ago for shops week they had the client come into the studio and choose between two of the designers ideas. even that would result in an entirely new moodboard, picking and choosing bits from both, but then you wouldn't get the 'frustrated loser being a bad team player' content that ends up being the reason they're sent home. it's frustrating to watch the lack of mood boards, material palettes, floor plans etc when it wouldn't be that hard to implement and would give the viewer a chance to be more invested in the designers - like i've said before this would definitely work as a bts / spin off show on iplayer or youtube.
Yes I remember this!! I kinda hope they do it next week but they didn’t do it with the cafés so I won’t hold my breath
---
They’ve not done the beach hut this season either. That’s always an interesting one as they have to come up with clever ways of using such a tiny space. Not sure many of them would be upto it this season - they seem quite a weak bunch design-wise.
I LOVE the beach hut challenges

Reactions: 11
Now that I watched the whole episode . I was not surprised to see Francesca in the bottom . Both of her rooms were awful . I don’t know of any young professional who wants a material “cloud” on the wall or a painted cardboard mobile.

I think Ben should have been on the sofa as well . The bedroom was impractical . How are a couple supposed to manage in that bed ? Is the person at the wall side supposed to climb over another person to get up? Even by scooching down to the bottom part to get up would be an issue as there was not much room between the end of the bed and the wall . Don’t even get me started on the tomato red walls and nasty looking headboard.
The saving grace was the additional storage space he created.

Bens living space - I liked the yellow part of the room. The colour was nice and it was cheerful. Sofa being faced away from the wall was a very odd choice to make. The shelves on the wall were a good idea but too many of them and looked cheap. He made the living space look smaller due to the choice of a darker shade on the wall. The whole space looked disjointed in my opinion.
ETA - also why the teeny tiny table stuck in the middle of the room.

none of them have any clue about living in a small space . This really should have been the focus of the challenge. To show potential renters how to make the most of a small area.

Just caught up on last night’s episode. Thank god the millennial pink clown lady is gone.

Francesca: what in the everloving duck was that. It was almost like she knew she was gonna…give up this week by going full throttle?as far from the brief as possible. Should’ve gone last week. She’d clearly run out of steam.

Ben: should not have been in the top 2 over Matt. What an absolute eyesore, especially the bedroom. I had high hopes for him after week 1 but wow what a let down. Stinky shoe storage next to the bed? No thanks.

Matt: not his best, but still good. Really thoughtful. Too much furniture in the living room IMO. Think he was put in the bottom because he hadn’t been yet if I’m honest.

Roisin: I acc think there were some good elements, shoot me but I loved the kitchen and the breakfast bar, the rest was classic OTT roisin. Please ditch the green luv.

Anthony: rightful winner, although his space was a bit too masculine for me. He really made the existing stuff work so props to him!

I am TIRED of these designers choosing to forget and disregard the brief and selfishly insert themselves into these spaces with no thought of the client (whoever that was this week lol, who knows)

Reactions: 13
Domnal is still struggling to come to terms with leaving the show. He's put a "poem" on his stories with seems to me to be a very clear dig at Michelle
Oh god, cringe.

All he is doing is proving Michelle was right. I really think there was a side to him that was edited out and it was the right decision.

This is even worse because this show isn't live. So he has been sat on all this resentment for months, probably collecting memes etc ready to use.

Reactions: 25
Oh god, cringe.

All he is doing is proving Michelle was right. I really think there was a side to him that was edited out and it was the right decision.

This is even worse because this show isn't live. So he has been sat on all this resentment for months, probably collecting memes etc ready to use.
Like just accept u weren’t that good and stick to your lil graphics and stories offline

Domnal is still struggling to come to terms with leaving the show. He's put a "poem" on his stories with seems to me to be a very clear dig at Michelle
This was filmed ages ago last summer wasn't it? He really needs to be over it by now. I don't think he should've gone that week but he certainly would not have won it anyway imo.
I wouldn't want to hire someone like that who could not accept any criticism, however right he felt. I could imagine him slagging customers who disagreed with him.

Wow he really doesn’t take criticism well does he? 😳 Good luck in the design world mate - your work gets critiqued every day!