Instasham - when will it end

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just seen somebody today gifted all the shades of a foundation
I understand that they can't guess their shade by looking at photos of them but it's such a waste
Iconic makeup, per chance? They’re all on that bandwagon lately.

Reactions: 4
Just seen somebody today gifted all the shades of a foundation
I understand that they can't guess their shade by looking at photos of them but it's such a waste
That’s such a waste!!! I’d love to think these influencers would donate the not needed make up to a women’s shelter.... but They’re not going to

Reactions: 5
I don't actually mind the gifted stuff and the ads, although I've never bought anything that an influencer "recommended". The thing that just gets me is that they are not discerning about the products or brands. Today they would shill for Pepsi and tomorrow Coke would be the best. At least try to be some what authentic when doing ads and "accepting" gifts.

I wonder how difficult it would be to setup an insta outing the items that have been sent to the worst offenders?

Most of the accounts I follow are either "The Real Housewives" any city and a couple of influencers who are well off and hardly ever do gifting or ads. In fact I think the only things they do is collabs with like outnet and net-a-porter

Reactions: 6
PTWM has just been made a brand rep for Zoflora. She’s not a cleaning account and has never featured it before on her account or stories. Says it all. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
I used to love Sophie Allport but after seeing every account and their dog (literally, gifted dog beds) being given such a massive volume of freebies to flog its left me with such a bad taste in my mouth.
Why on earth should I spend my money when they're giving things away to people who already have so much??
I really can't wait for IG useage to go into decline so these instabeggars have to go back to actually earning the things they want to buy, like the rest of us.

Reactions: 9
I am with you all, this ridiculous platform is just sponsored showing off by lots of people and makes me think less of the brands using these 'influencers' to flog their stuff. And the fact that these twats then get affiliate payments absolutely boils my blood. Does anyone know if you can mute hashtags on insta, and whether this would work for #ad and #gifted?

Reactions: 7
I am with you all, this ridiculous platform is just sponsored showing off by lots of people and makes me think less of the brands using these 'influencers' to flog their stuff. And the fact that these twats then get affiliate payments absolutely boils my blood. Does anyone know if you can mute hashtags on insta, and whether this would work for #ad and #gifted?
Great idea!

Reactions: 3
I used to be a single mum
Sometimes (a lot of the time) it was the choice of eat or heat
To see these people who have more in the bank than what my house it worth gifted everything they want is unreal
My wages would be loose change to them but I get up and bust my balls to earn my living-they are given it for free
My kids have thanked me already for not selling their childhoods away and they all work/know the value of a £20 note

Reactions: 15
I’m currently on holiday with my husband & everywhere you turn there is someone doing a photo shoot with there mobile phone, don’t get me wrong I take & post the occasional selfie but if I asked my hubby to take photos the way some of the girls here are getting there partners to he would laugh me back on the next plane home. People seem to live life though the screen on there mobile phone rather than through there own eyes

This!!!!
I’m away at the moment and had this very discussion with my partner. We watched a couple do a full on photo shoot, and I mean photo shoot, in a very busy part of Seville today. I said “aren’t you glad you’re not having to assume his position to get the angle for the ‘gram” and my bf’s response was illuminating shall we say. Not one that can be repeated here. Let’s say, he definitely isn’t a social media/‘gram guy. 😳

Some of the poses are cringe inducing. And it has to end! When did folk stop smiling with their bloody teeth and looking happy, not caring about their make up or whatnot. Argh.

So I unfollowed my friend (the I want to be insta famous instamum) I got so fed up of her playing up to the camera, a shadow of the girl I knew. And I still couldn’t avoid the gifted nonsense, I met up with her for a Christmas drink and she was boasting about how she was gifted a personalised bag that should cost £60 for her man and she wrapped it up and gave him it for Christmas. FML it’s unavoidable

• Wow
  • Angry
I used to be a single mum
Sometimes (a lot of the time) it was the choice of eat or heat
To see these people who have more in the bank than what my house it worth gifted everything they want is unreal
My wages would be loose change to them but I get up and bust my balls to earn my living-they are given it for free
My kids have thanked me already for not selling their childhoods away and they all work/know the value of a £20 note
I think this is such an important point. The rise of the influencer is changing people’s concept of hard work and the value of money. In the past pop stars or actors might have made a lot at a young age but you can’t deny it requires hard work to do a world tour or shoot a film. These kids are getting four, five, six figure cheques for taking some pictures of a product on their phone, sticking some brand authorised copy in the caption and pressing upload. Probably a few emails got them to that point. And the photo may require ‘editing’ - a filter, or something on an app, not what real photographers do. And these kids actually think it’s hard work and earning 10k for that is a fair exchange. The brands see it in their favour because it’s still cheaper and simpler than spending 50k on a proper tv advert.

The journalist dolly alderton was discussing it on her podcast a few months ago. She had a valuable perspective because she’s actually done some branded work as she’s quite famous with a big online following. But it’s not her job, she is a proper columnist and writer. Anyway she said though doing a branded instagram post may require more work than some people realise, it just isn’t comparable to a real days work - particularly when considering the reward/effort ratio.

Reactions: 8
Todays the day when you see all the suck ups come out 😂 "Ive made some amazing new friends on here that I've never met" To think 2020 will be full of more of this crap

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The thing that drives me mad is how companies who #gift genuinely think everyone else is there eagerly awaiting to pay full whack for the same #gifted item. Maybe it’s just me but it completely puts me off!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The thing that drives me mad is how companies who #gift genuinely think everyone else is there eagerly awaiting to pay full whack for the same #gifted item. Maybe it’s just me but it completely puts me off!
Completely agree! I purposely will not buy anything now that’s given out for free to “influencers” - particularly when you get a stream of EVERYBODY all receiving the same item at the same time! I have no idea why brands would think that will make us want to buy ourselves? Surely the bubble has to burst soon 🤔🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Jane (BritBeautyBlogger) published an interesting piece on where influencing is headed:

It’s definitely going to be a pivotal year for ‘influencing’ – everyone is over it and brands can see that it’s not the money raker it used to be. The thing is that many brands now employ a system to decide who they work with that just works on numbers – whether that person allies with the brand is neither here nor there. With this lack of personal touch, influencing is purely transactional and it shows. So, of course, the very people that brands want to reach are tuning out which in turn affects sales. Since all beauty brands are (obviously) about the money, it’s not really working for them. But, there’s no Plan B. I hear along the grapevine that some bigger brands are somewhat regretting their decision to be transactional but it takes a long time to put the brakes on when you’re a global company.

Speaking of Plan B, plenty of influencers don’t have one either. While one of the greatest things about social media is that it’s available to everyone and a great leveller – if you’re making a living on it then I have every respect because it’s not as easy as it might seem. But, a Plan B is probably the most valuable thing you can invest in right now. In the interim, those who have the most attention from brands will get more of it because they’re still translating to the best sales. Remember when brands were actively looking for new talent? Not so much now – there literally isn’t time, in the face of so much pressure, to seek them out and take a chance. Eventually, even the stars will dim. And I don’t know what happens then!

https://britishbeautyblogger.com/fashion/fitflop-wonderwelly-and-a-view-on-2020-social-media/

Reactions: 7
I saw this posted on a local Facebook group I’m a part of in my town. Feel a bit shocked that this type of lifestyle/job/career is being promoted by a parent tbh, and despair for the future. Why can’t she be encouraged to get a proper job or career that benefits society? Like a teacher, nurse, dentist, etc? why are we raising a generation of advertisements?
5A5D5D8D-9F28-4EC1-9ED8-22D0408B0ECD.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sick
Can any one tell me the reason they put #Gifted in posts? Is it an ego thing “oh look I got this for free look at me”, do the companies enforce it? What does it benefit them?
I can understand saying it’s an ad so someone can flick past it but the gifted one stumps me. If anything it makes me not want to but that product at all. Why pay full rack for a product they’ll happily give away 🖕🏻

Reactions: 5
Can any one tell me the reason they put #Gifted in posts? Is it an ego thing “oh look I got this for free look at me”, do the companies enforce it? What does it benefit them?
I can understand saying it’s an ad so someone can flick past it but the gifted one stumps me. If anything it makes me not want to but that product at all. Why pay full rack for a product they’ll happily give away 🖕🏻
It’s an ASA requirement. It means they were given the item with no obligation or payment for mentioning it. Like you say it amounts to “I haven’t paid for this but you definitely should because it might end up as a paid campaign for me” :rolleyes: