Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
So does that mean the gifted hashtag is enough instead of ad now then?
No - it's a bit of a silo issue. ASA only deal with ads and as such are only concerned about the 3 points they lay out. CMA are the body regulating the wider influencer post tagging and cover gifted items, paid for items where there has been a previous paid relationship etc. They advise it should be clear for the consumer to know if something was gifted or discounted or an affiliate link for the influencer and they couldn't personally get the same deal as this may be influencing how that person is talking about the product. They feel that AD upfront and stating clearly each item (not just "some items may be gifted" which is a cop out) is the best way to do this. #spon #gifted #aff don't cut the mustard with the CMA but the ASA have a narrower remit. I think when reports to the ASA relate to things outside their area they should refer to the CMA or let the reporter know they should and how.

Reactions: 4

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
I've noticed that Louise Pentland/SoG thinks and says that she is being transparent by writing in Wednesdays video "some items may have been gifted", she spent a lot of the video dropping brand names such as Scrubbingtons bubble bath, various skin care brands, Pearls sleeping bag was name dropped. Is she only using these items because they was free or has she spent her own cash on them and we can trust her opinion a bit better. She needs to be declaring which products are gifted. She has just posted an insta pic with her sat at her desk, again she writes "some items may be gifted", quite shocked as its only a small part of her house.. how much stuff is infact gifted! I'm sure she could have listed which products were gifted, especially if its the iMac which was boldly on show.

swipeup

VIP Member
Couple of stories from justalittlebuild today raving about a Bobbi Brown eye palette she's received. Tagged #gifted in 1 story only, should clearly be marked #ad.

Mayday

VIP Member
Another thing I'd like to see is some sort of rules regarding people promoting diet/detox teas and those 'appetite suppressant' lollipops and gummy bear things. Like some sort of disclaimer in the bio about how you should consult your doctor before taking stuff like that or before doing any sort of diet, and its not actually a replacement for a balanced diet etc. That or I'd love to see them stop being promoted all together but I can't see that happening.

Reactions: 3

Firecrotch69

Jeez the amount of ‘influencers’ throwing their toys out the pram on Instagram the last two days. If you were being upfront and honest then what’s the problem ??? Or is it because now we are shown exactly how much of their shit they don’t pay for ??

I think if you are trying to be open and honest about what your getting paid for/ gifted etc then you don’t have anything to worry about.

Those whinging about the ‘confusing’ changes the loudest seem to be those that are worse for not disclosing
B Winging it summed it up perfectly for me this morning. Ads give a realistic representation of the influencer’s reality and what they have and haven’t bought.

Last edited:

emmer_moans

VIP Member
This c
About time, it'll be fun watching the influencers fall into different catagories, the ones who rant and whine about the regulations but do adhere, the ones who rant and whine then carry on as normal and ignore (because they're 'special' and shouldn't have to be bound by rules) and the ones who just quietly get on with it and do as they are required. The most relevant part to all the new rules is just be honest, am amazed how many influencers have such an issue with honesty.
Yes Louise Pentland being one of the first ones to say she always likes to be 'transparent'. I think the influencer field has been a new phenomenon the past few years and the law is catching up with it - influencers such as Zoe have ridden a very lucky wave but the rules were always going to catch up with the new market. Would be interesting to see how businesses adapt to the rules, whether they will be in more control of the influencers' content because they have to be upfront about it. InTheFrow will have to put ad on every post... not that it wasn't obvious beforehand.

Last edited:

swipeup

VIP Member
Influencers should ask themselves why they are being 'gifted' so many items. It's not because the brand is just being generous. There is an expectation that viewers will go out and buy what they see influencers using. Therefore it is a sales technique and therefore it is advertising.
That seems to be obvious to everyone apart from the influencers!

Yel

Chatty Member
Interesting article on Bloomberg, saying that this could be a huge boost to Facebook as advertiser's might just start using their ads if the infuencer bubble is popped. Meaning a bust for all the people reliant on the sly ads.

Reactions: 2

Herewego

Influencers should ask themselves why they are being 'gifted' so many items. It's not because the brand is just being generous. There is an expectation that viewers will go out and buy what they see influencers using. Therefore it is a sales technique and therefore it is advertising.
Exactly - I don't understand why people don't get this!

Gulster

Amodelrecommends has posted a new top on instagram thanking an_dem for it.
I've asked why as it's a #gift she hasn't put #AD at the beginning of her post.

Will see if I'm trashed/deleted/blocked or if amr has an explanation. We should all be asking influencers if rules apply to them if they continue to ignore changes.

M

Member 3661

This is the second time I've reported and I'll carry on reporting her as that's the only way she's going to abide by the rules and I'd urge others to do the same...

Attachments

Youtubegossip

VIP Member
This blog post really summarised why the guidelines are needed

Still wondering who these shady influencers who DM'ed Emma "StOP BeINg TRanSParENt"

Good on this girl, she should have named and shamed

M

Member 3675

I heard a news report this morning that suggested/ implied / stated not sure which that Children now watch more content from You Tube than they do from conventional TV/ BBC/ITV/ Netflix etc. It went on to say that more people in type 18-25 age group were switching to such content
If that's correct its pretty clear as to why advertisers will aim products at younger people.

Interestingly my daughters school have approached the pressures on pupils via social media. So far they have also included stuff about adverts that don't present as obvious adverts.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
This blog post really summarised why the guidelines are needed

Still wondering who these shady influencers who DM'ed Emma "StOP BeINg TRanSParENt"

Good for her for speaking out!

• Heart

GossWhore

VIP Member
Kinda on the same subject

But ASOS have had enough of these "influencers" abusing their return policy

Reactions: 1