Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Agree with @Yel that starting this thread now could be an interesting record of them toppling like dominoes through 2020.

I am dumbfounded now at the amount of traffic on my feed that used to state “ad” in line with regs bit simply doesn’t anymore - when the person is clearly advertising!

I follow so few interiors/mums now because I’ve had a saccharine overdose of their candlyfloss bullshit - I stick to mainly comics I like but even some of the best female comics I follow just seem to be flogging shit, in a way that’s undoubtedly less evident amongst their male counterparts.

Finally I’m also sick of being to told whom I should vote for, help this Christmas, or buy to make sure when I die I don’t enter eternal damnation.

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Definitely agree now is the time to name and shame the worst influencers. Those unboxing #gifted care packages etc when people are scared how to find the very basics.

• Angry

Yel

Chatty Member
Even if other countries are slow to follow it does send out a clear message that what many influencers are doing is wrong.

If any of them had a gram of integrity they'd stop with the health and wellness stuff. People like Rochelle Humes who has many other revenue streams and could take an ethical stance with only a small reduction in cash made will most probably carry on regularly promoting supplements.

Australia is doing well with tackling some of the new problems caused by the internet; like forcing Google and Facebook to pay for the content they scrape onto their own platforms.

I hope this is actually regulated in some tangible way, but given that it’s been in place since 1/1/2022 and I’m seeing more ads for wellness products than ever before, I’m doubtful.
I believe the influencers have until July 2022 when they'll be forced to comply with it and delete all content that doesn't.

From 1 January to 30 June 2022, your business may comply with either the current TGAC2 or the new TGAC. From 1 July 2022, all advertising and marketing of therapeutic goods must comply with the new TGAC.

• Heart

working9-5

Chatty Member
Not a single one that I have seen has tried to do anything other than instagram workouts.

A few options -
- Raise money for food banks
- Do a free promotion with one of the brands that is doing good
- Volunteer to support the elderly, I’ve seen so many local people doing this
- Zanna for example or any other of these health conscious bloggers - give away her PDF workout guides / healthy eating guides for free. Show that you are sacrificing some of your income to help others.
- Grace Fit Uk - showing off her London Mansion, why don’t you use your eco friendly clothing company to make some masks that the NHS is short of (maybe not possible but you get the idea)

Just show that they care, I get not wanting to talk about the situation but carrying on as normal flaunting their wealth and expensive homes and holiday photos reminding people of the money they don’t have and the holidays they won’t get to go on.
I really hope that people remember this when we get through these hard times and these ‘influencers’ have to join the real world.

Not a single one that I have seen has tried to do anything other than instagram workouts.

A few options -
- Raise money for food banks
- Do a free promotion with one of the brands that is doing good
- Volunteer to support the elderly, I’ve seen so many local people doing this
- Zanna for example or any other of these health conscious bloggers - give away her PDF workout guides / healthy eating guides for free. Show that you are sacrificing some of your income to help others.
- Grace Fit Uk - showing off her London Mansion, why don’t you use your eco friendly clothing company to make some masks that the NHS is short of (maybe not possible but you get the idea)

Just show that they care, I get not wanting to talk about the situation but carrying on as normal flaunting their wealth and expensive homes and holiday photos reminding people of the money they don’t have and the holidays they won’t get to go on.
1B2AD247-64AD-40B0-8FB1-62D311739EA4.png

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Angry

Rosiepie

VIP Member
I used to follow a few interior accounts, but they’ve changed to ads, swipe ups, gifts galore (and believe me these are already very very wealthy families that don’t need the stuff they are gifted). They are so smug with it now. It’s almost like they believe they are some sort of insta celebrity. It’s truly laughable. Recently one of the women was advertising for a hunger charity organised by Asda, but was paid! She only ever seems to shop at Waitrose so it’s awful when you can see them doing anything to make money, yet they bleet on about how wonderful they are etc etc. How they support local businesses and how they are true to themselves. Instagram has become a money making platform and so many are jumping on the band wagon.

I hope it's the year we say goodbye to mummy vloggers and family influencers. Cannot stand people pimping out their children for a paycheck.
You are so right! I’ve noticed a few families using their kids to make money. It doesn’t seem right at all.

Horatio

VIP Member
I hope the "influencer" bubble will burst soon, and that only the ones with genuine talent/knowledge will remain successful. Maybe that's wishful thinking. I do think it's great that the internet and social media have given opportunities to talented people to make a career from their skills, e.g. food bloggers, artists and comedians. However, it's unfortunate that it's also given talentless people the opportunity to make a "career" based on living a shallow, consumerist lifestyle.

Hopefully things are changing though. I sent in a complaint to Gatwick Express about a month ago, as I'd noticed they were advertising their service by paying "influencers" to post about it on Instagram. It just pissed me off because I used the Gatwick Express earlier this year, and I hate to think that the money I (and other ordinary people) spent went into the pockets of these people, who probably got the rest of their holiday paid for as well. It just seems absurd to me that posting a picture of your holiday can be considered "work". To be fair, the response I got from Gatwick Express was quite promising, and they've said management will review their methods of promotion. I hope the tide is turning, and companies will start to realise that influencer marketing isn't the way forward (as I'm not even sure it's particularly effective in business terms anyway).

I think the Coronavirus situation will definitely change society in a big way, and the idea that advertising a life of leisure and luxury is a legitimate choice of career will not sit so well with people anymore.
On the high low podcast (journalists dolly alderton and pandora Sykes talking about culture and current affairs and such) one of them mentioned looking at this daily mail article on the Beckham (against their better judgement). The article had republished all these photos from their various Instagram accounts of them gadding about on their estate in the Cotswolds. As she pointed out though it’s “fair enough, they live there” it felt an incredibly tasteless thing to be posting right now. Most interestingly though, she said the comments weren’t the usual vitriol filled love to hate troll fest but far more sincere and sad. People saying they don’t know how they’re going to pay rent or worried about loved ones they can’t see. They aren’t exactly influencers but it’s a similar thing, this crisis has put what matters into a stark perspective that exposes people like the Beckhams, or many influencers, for the shallow small minded tasteless people they are. And it’s not ‘fun’ to hate them when it’s like that.

HereWeGoAgain101

VIP Member
Can we please say goodby to Zanna Van Dijk, Steph Elswood and Grace Beverly. If these girls have any influence over the upcoming female generation, hope is all lost. If we want future generations of girls who try and replicate their lifestyles I fear for society. Someone said on another thread, it’s time for a war to snap these fucking snowflakes into reality. Drastic, but I don’t know how else we’re gonna get rid of the woke, snowflake, mental health spouting, eco warrior, plant based eating shite shower were being fed multiple times daily!!!!

Reactions: 9

fireflies

VIP Member
It will cut the wheat from the chaff
Survival of the most sensible and compassionate.
The ones who advertise things people can't afford.
Moan when others have it far worse
Or gloat about freebies I dont think will survive.
With people at home and online more they might be subject to more thourght and scrutiny.

Wellsy76

I was added to an influencer group and the things that I discovered. They get all their friends to use their swipe ups, comment on ads. 95% of their engagement is from like for like groups etc
Never commented here before 😬, but this really makes things so clear! Influencers always always comment on each other posts (the Greek woman literally seems to know/arse licks EVERYONE)....now I get why 🙄

DoseofReality

VIP Member
I bloody hope so is the answer to this question. Would love more people to wake up and smell the bullshit and become tattle bastards. And for companies to get wiser about influencer marketing.

But part of me thinks with what's going on they'll feel more entitled to "entertain" or "create content" for their audiences and the sheep lapping it up at them working so hard in such a crisis. When in reality they'll just be showing more of how out of touch or utterly irresponsible they are. Also hope that we don't see more people becoming influencers or vlogging whilst they might be off work/ school etc.

• Heart

DoseofReality

VIP Member
⬆⬆⬆
#BeKind everyone 🙄 Youtubers and their sodding narcissism!

Also publishing companies yes books will be more popular right now, no we don't want anymore influencer books. Publish something better by talented writers instead.

slugella

VIP Member
I loved joules!! It was literally all I wore, then they gifted some to influencers and I’ve literally sold all my clothes. They cost a fortune and to just give them away annoyed me a lot when as a loyal customer it’s rare they offer any real discounts. We was looking into buying an Audi next year as we have dogs and kids and the boot size on some of their cars is lovely but since they’ve given them away I’ve said no to it, again just because it’s such an expensive car and they’re just handing them out.

M&S literally peed me of when they went through a faze of having insta kids as their models. 🤬 it just really bugged me.

I’m not a petty person I don’t think but these shops are all quite expensive and to be giving away as much as they do just pees me off. They could just lower their prices across the board instead of selling out to influencers and they would probably do better for it.
Totally agree.

It reminds me the other day someone commented on one of Venetia Falconers posts asking does she have any sustainable underwear brands she recommends. Venetia replied recommending one, I forgot the name, to which the original girl replied saying thanks but too expensive. Someone else then replied saying why not try stripe and stare (and tagged them). The brand then replied saying oh venetia we are gonna email you and send you some!! ... so another poster then replied like why not send them to the original poster who is ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR SOME. Which I loved to see someone calling them out.

I mean I get it's advertising but it's so frustrating to see. Venetia didn't even originally recommend that brand, and then a few days later she had a insta story of loads of free underwear she got sent. I ended up unfollowing her. Considering she constantly talks about cutting down on buying too much, she easily could have said oh i dont need some, I agree send them to the original poster looking for new underwear.

Sorry for the ramble but this really annoyed me. She was the only influencer I was still following as I thought she was different but clearly not..

Ninjagram

I think we can safely say influencers will now have to start to think of a real job that produces something of worth or helps society.

Don't come crying that you chose insecure vapid work and were not prepared for a recession that brought it to an end. Even without the virus, a recession would have still happened soon enough.

They're not creatives or creators, just a shopping channel with instantly disposable content. Would you watch a re-run of a QVC show?
Thats the problem though....half love to actually cry on camera. They have no shame they’ll just continue to show off and act up to the extreme

I really hope that people remember this when we get through these hard times and these ‘influencers’ have to join the real world.

View attachment 97726
Why do they always say “old enough to be my mum”? As if their age is an excuse for their immaturity. Shock horror I had a “proper job” when I was 19 but would never use age in an argument

Reactions: 8

Yel

Chatty Member
The cyanide drink is starting off 2020 with people questioning infuencers. Although seen a few infuencers themselves try to discredit the towie and love island lot as they aren't proper infuencers just reality TV people. Oh please, they're all not that different.
----–---------
From the sun

But the clue is in the name. Anyone whose job title is “influencer” is being paid to sway their followers into buying things they otherwise would not.

As a result, we don’t know who to trust.

This was illustrated this week by Lauren Goodger being caught on camera for a BBC show agreeing to promote a drink containing hydrogen cyanide.

The reality TV star was secretly filmed during a meeting where she was asked to promote a fake diet drink named Cyanora — said to contain the deadly chemical hydrogen cyanide — on Instagram.

It was part of an investigation by the documentary into whether celebrities consume the products which they are paid to promote.

The alacrity with which Goodger agreed to promote this fake product was alarming.

Similarly worrying, to demonstrate her willingness to promote a product she had never tried, she talked about how she promoted another product, Skinny Coffee, which in January she claimed helped her lose 12lb in three weeks.

“I never tried Skinny Coffee,” she admitted.

To drive the point home, she added: “I’ve even had my own friends message me, ‘Laur, can you get me some of that Skinny Coffee, does it work?’ . . . I’m like, ‘Do you not know this by now?’ And they’re actually going and buying it and I’m like, ‘You know how this works’.”

At least she is honest. When she doesn’t realise she is being recorded.

By way of explanation, a representative for Goodger said: “Lauren was asked to . . . appear in an advert for a new water.

“There was no mention of what the water contained before the meeting. The money on the table was quite a large sum.”

Goodger herself said: “As with any audition, you people-please and say what they want to hear.

“They asked me, ‘Would I promote the drink without using it?’ In the heat of the moment, I said yes and also said I hadn’t tried Skinny Coffee — in the hope of getting the job.

“I would never promote anything on my Instagram that I don’t feel is right for my followers and that I haven’t used. The sit-down meeting after the audition was filmed undercover without my knowledge.”

So I guess we take this to mean that had she known she was being filmed, she wouldn’t have been so up-front about the real role of an influencer.

It is easy to forget that influencers are paid to promote products.

Even those who start off promising to recommend only things they like are probably susceptible, if the price is right. And if that is the case, how can we believe anything is a genuine endorsement?

So, who can we trust? Let’s start with ourselves. Instead of handing our likes and values over to be decided by so-called influencers, we should remember our own sense of self and what we like and dislike.

And let’s go back to another thing from the good old days: Trusting real friends instead of Instagram ones.

Lalalalaaaaaa85

VIP Member
It’s really annoyed me how everyone seems to have been gifted a trip to Lapland UK this year 🙄. The tickets are so expensive for that and still sell out so I don’t even understand why they need to gift to influencers. I was hoping to take my children next year (an expensive treat I’d have had to save up for) but now I don’t want to. Influencers and companies who use them are sucking the fun out of everything!