IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am sick of the bloating when I get a flare up . Dulcolax works for me but really don’t want to get dependent on them but it makes me miserable when I’m bloated etc.. sometimes have no choice but to take one daily 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh I had EN years ago on my legs are it was agony when I'd knock any of the bumps. Never knew what the cause was
I thought i had a bug bite at first (it was summer time) my foot and ankle ballooned and i couldnt walk on it due to the pain. That same evening i noticed a blotchy red rash on my legs that spread scarily fast.

Does anyone else find that when it's really humid your IBS troubles flare up? I've felt absolutely fine all day, not eaten anything out the ordinary etc. Suddenly it felt really hot and humid in the office and my stomach was set off, major cramps and bloating. It never gets any less embarrassing.

Have you all actually been diagnosed by a doctor with IBS? If so, which tests were done? What are your symptoms? My health anxiety is through the roof which is no good for my bowels either (are they related/aren't they related?) glad to have found this thread after weeks of googling.

I was diagnosed with IBS at age 17. Literally hit me out of the blue that year; alternating constipation and diarrhoea with horrendous cramps. I went to the GP who tested a stool sample. Once that came back clear of infection etc, they said I had IBS. I have never been able to pinpoint foods that trigger it. I am quite an anxious person and I do think anxiety is a key factor for a lot of people. Mine certainly flares up if I’m going through a stressful time. Speaking of which, I have had more attacks over the last 12 months than what I’ve had in years. Makes me think lockdown must be causing me a lot of anxiety at a sub-conscious level that I’m not really aware of.

Just to add, I used to take mebeverine on prescription, which is an anti-spasmodic. This helped a bit during an attack. Peppermint tea is soothing. I try to have plenty of fibre to keep regular. If I’m going through a bad patch of constipation I drink a fibre supplement called Lepicol Plus, which is really good. It has digestive enzymes and healthy bacteria in it too.

Have you all actually been diagnosed by a doctor with IBS? If so, which tests were done? What are your symptoms? My health anxiety is through the roof which is no good for my bowels either (are they related/aren't they related?) glad to have found this thread after weeks of googling.
Yeah, I got diagnosed a few years back. They took blood samples and stool samples. They tested for coeliac disease but nothing came up.
I take mebeverine which helps with the pain during a flare up. I’m also on medication for anxiety because anxiety causes my flares to get worse, then in turn the anxiety getsworse. It’s a viscous cycle.

Thanks so much for replying. I've had a loss of appetite over the last few weeks but think it could be because I've been winding myself up and googling things. I also flip between constipation and looser stools. My doctor called last week to give me the results of blood tests (but I couldn't understand him 😢) he said nothing to worry about, and a slight deficiency in vitamin D, as well as inflammatory markers sligthly up (but didn't say why, which has worried me!! My mind is into overdrive. What does that even mean?)

so I'm speaking with a different doc tomorrow, whom I can hopefully understand.

Do you think it's all linked? I literally Google everything any time I have a slight twinge or pain. It's awful.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Thanks so much for replying. I've had a loss of appetite over the last few weeks but think it could be because I've been winding myself up and googling things. I also flip between constipation and looser stools. My doctor called last week to give me the results of blood tests (but I couldn't understand him 😢) he said nothing to worry about, and a slight deficiency in vitamin D, as well as inflammatory markers sligthly up (but didn't say why, which has worried me!! My mind is into overdrive. What does that even mean?)

so I'm speaking with a different doc tomorrow, whom I can hopefully understand.

Do you think it's all linked? I literally Google everything any time I have a slight twinge or pain. It's awful.
im a serial googler too. I literally think I google a health related thing every single day, it’s draining and it really does you no good. The anxiety you’re currently feeling probably is making your symptoms seem worse - mine are always worse when I am stressed, nervous, anxious etc. The good thing is your doctor has said nothing to worry about. My tests showed a vitamin D deficiency too.

I hope tomorrow’s appointment with the dr goes well - let us know! And don’t be afraid to ask questions, or ask for clarification if you’re unsure of anything. It’s what they’re there for x

• Heart
im a serial googler too. I literally think I google a health related thing every single day, it’s draining and it really does you no good. The anxiety you’re currently feeling probably is making your symptoms seem worse - mine are always worse when I am stressed, nervous, anxious etc. The good thing is your doctor has said nothing to worry about. My tests showed a vitamin D deficiency too.

I hope tomorrow’s appointment with the dr goes well - let us know! And don’t be afraid to ask questions, or ask for clarification if you’re unsure of anything. It’s what they’re there for x
The good side to Tattle. Thank you 🙏🏻 It's reassuring to know I'm not alone. My friends and family don't understand x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ive never been diagnosed but years of rushing to the loo with loose stools was obvious enough. Its settled down a little over the last few months, before that I was having a rotten flare up. I was fed up of rushing to the loo! Ive only noticed 1 definite food trigger, its hit and miss the rest of the time

I was diagnosed following a bout of food poisoning years ago. Had loads of stuff prescribed none of which helped. I then discovered silicol. This changed my life. Fast forward a few years and despite now suffering anxiety I haven’t had a reoccurrence

I was diagnosed following a bout of food poisoning years ago. Had loads of stuff prescribed none of which helped. I then discovered silicol. This changed my life. Fast forward a few years and despite now suffering anxiety I haven’t had a reoccurrence
Hi, what is silicol?

IBS and IBD are quite different, Im not sure they can be put in the same category.
I have IBD

Reactions: 4
IBS and IBD are quite different, Im not sure they can be put in the same category.
I have IBD
Hence why in my very first post I said the following...

(I'm aware IBS and IBD are completely different, however some symptoms are very similar).

But just talk about IBS then because I don't think it helps comparing it with IBD helps anyone.
They are really not similar and it suggests that they are

@Laurst IBS is a diagnosis by elimination so people obtain it different ways, e.g. generally if you have bowel problems you'll have bloods and a stool sample to test for IBD and coeliac, if this is clear really you should have a colonoscopy to confirm a diagnosis of IBS but GPs tend to say people have it when those tests come back clear. It can also be brought on after a bad bout of any kind of food poisoning, gastro etc. It doesn't really matter whether you have a confirmed diagnosis though as most of the time if you have bowel issues then the usual suggested IBS relief will help you - e.g., going low FODMAP and working out food triggers, minimising stress, etc. GPs can prescribe you mebeverine also, I have this on rolling prescription but rarely take it as I find it makes me constipated. Buscopan for IBS works well for cramps for me (over the counter) I was told by a consultant that you can take up to 6 tablets safely, about 3 usually does the trick for me if I'm really in agony. When I'm constipated I take Movicol which can also be bought OTC.

• Heart
But just talk about IBS then because I don't think it helps comparing it with IBD helps anyone.
They are really not similar and it suggests that they are

IBS and IBD CAN display very similar symptoms. Hence why when looking to diagnose IBS, doctors will first test for IBD, as they eliminate IBD before diagnosing IBS. At least in my experience, that's what they did.

Last edited:
@Laurst IBS is a diagnosis by elimination so people obtain it different ways, e.g. generally if you have bowel problems you'll have bloods and a stool sample to test for IBD and coeliac, if this is clear really you should have a colonoscopy to confirm a diagnosis of IBS but GPs tend to say people have it when those tests come back clear. It can also be brought on after a bad bout of any kind of food poisoning, gastro etc. It doesn't really matter whether you have a confirmed diagnosis though as most of the time if you have bowel issues then the usual suggested IBS relief will help you - e.g., going low FODMAP and working out food triggers, minimising stress, etc. GPs can prescribe you mebeverine also, I have this on rolling prescription but rarely take it as I find it makes me constipated. Buscopan for IBS works well for cramps for me (over the counter) I was told by a consultant that you can take up to 6 tablets safely, about 3 usually does the trick for me if I'm really in agony. When I'm constipated I take Movicol which can also be bought OTC.
I don't really get pain, it's more discomfort. I do think a lot of it is triggered by anxiety, which I suffer massively from. My inflammatory markers are slighty raised apparently (but this was explained loosely over the phone by a doctor I unfortunately couldn't understand), could this be a sign? I am so anxious, it's all I've thought about. I do really appreciate everyone's time.

• Heart