IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't really get pain, it's more discomfort. I do think a lot of it is triggered by anxiety, which I suffer massively from. My inflammatory markers are slighty raised apparently (but this was explained loosely over the phone by a doctor I unfortunately couldn't understand), could this be a sign? I am so anxious, it's all I've thought about. I do really appreciate everyone's time.
Unfortunately anxiety and stress does really impact IBS, so it could be you have IBS made worse by anxiety but equally having a painful or off stomach when you’re anxious isn’t uncommon either even when you don’t have IBS. Inflammation is what they look for when testing for IBD, if your markers are only slightly raised though they’re unlikely to be within the typical levels observed when someone has IBD. So it’s not a worry that they’re slightly raised, if they were too high you would’ve been referred for a colonoscopy to check. They can fluctuate as well so if you’re having a bad stomach episode at the moment and your markers aren’t IBD level I personally wouldn’t worry about that (they tend to be higher when you’re having a flare in my experience). Do raise all your concerns with the other doctor you’re going to speak to though, maybe discuss ways to manage the anxiety either through medication or CBT (interestingly CBT is also used as a treatment for IBS as well)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Unfortunately anxiety and stress does really impact IBS, so it could be you have IBS made worse by anxiety but equally having a painful or off stomach when you’re anxious isn’t uncommon either even when you don’t have IBS. Inflammation is what they look for when testing for IBD, if your markers are only slightly raised though they’re unlikely to be within the typical levels observed when someone has IBD. So it’s not a worry that they’re slightly raised, if they were too high you would’ve been referred for a colonoscopy to check. They can fluctuate as well so if you’re having a bad stomach episode at the moment and your markers aren’t IBD level I personally wouldn’t worry about that (they tend to be higher when you’re having a flare in my experience). Do raise all your concerns with the other doctor you’re going to speak to though, maybe discuss ways to manage the anxiety either through medication or CBT (interestingly CBT is also used as a treatment for IBS as well)
Thank you so much. Everything just scares me and points me towards cancer and that I'm dying. I lost my mum really young, so I worry massively, not just about my health, but the health of my close family relatives as well. I've not been hungry quite a few times over the last few weeks, and I'm putting this all down to anxiety as well, but then the anxiety questions that and you worry that you are worrying you're doing is justified because something really is wrong. It's like a vicious circle.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you so much. Everything just scares me and points me towards cancer and that I'm dying. I lost my mum really young, so I worry massively, not just about my health, but the health of my close family relatives as well. I've not been hungry quite a few times over the last few weeks, and I'm putting this all down to anxiety as well, but then the anxiety questions that and you worry that you are worrying you're doing is justified because something really is wrong. It's like a vicious circle.
Bless you, I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this. Health anxiety is horrendous. If it helps, anxiety often makes me lose my appetite too, especially when I’m worried about my health (I have IBS, endo, and a kidney condition so I’ve been around the block!) medicating your anxiety even in the short term is something I would really recommend if you can, I was really worried about it as I’m quite ‘medication averse’ but honestly it’s helped me so much. Let us know how you get on with the other doctor!

• Heart
Bless you, I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this. Health anxiety is horrendous. If it helps, anxiety often makes me lose my appetite too, especially when I’m worried about my health (I have IBS, endo, and a kidney condition so I’ve been around the block!) medicating your anxiety even in the short term is something I would really recommend if you can, I was really worried about it as I’m quite ‘medication averse’ but honestly it’s helped me so much. Let us know how you get on with the other doctor!
Thank you so much, I feel a bit calmer having just exchanged messages on here with you, so thank you so much. I know I get on the nerves of my friends and family, but I just can't help it.... :(

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't really get pain, it's more discomfort. I do think a lot of it is triggered by anxiety, which I suffer massively from. My inflammatory markers are slighty raised apparently (but this was explained loosely over the phone by a doctor I unfortunately couldn't understand), could this be a sign? I am so anxious, it's all I've thought about. I do really appreciate everyone's time.
Maybe ask your gp to send off a stool sample to check your calprotectin level. Its a more reliable test to check for inflammation in your digestive tract. A normal level is around 20 - 50 ... my worst was over 6000 when i was in an active flare. If your levels are higher than the norm, they should refer you to a gastro. Although ibs can have similar symptoms of ibd, they are also very different and treatments are different aswell. Ibs can be helped with diet, buscopan, mild laxatives if constipated. Heat can help with stomach cramping, a warm bath. When im flaring my electric heat pad is a god send!

Maybe ask your gp to send off a stool sample to check your calprotectin level. Its a more reliable test to check for inflammation in your digestive tract. A normal level is around 20 - 50 ... my worst was over 6000 when i was in an active flare. If your levels are higher than the norm, they should refer you to a gastro. Although ibs can have similar symptoms of ibd, they are also very different and treatments are different aswell. Ibs can be helped with diet, buscopan, mild laxatives if constipated. Heat can help with stomach cramping, a warm bath. When im flaring my electric heat pad is a god send!
I'm still waiting for results of the blood tests that I had a while back. I'm hoping it's nothing sinister.

I've woken up to the worst flare :(
I think it's because I was off work yesterday so for some unknown reason I felt anxious about coming back in today. I have cramps, I'm sweating but I've got goosebumps. I keep getting waves of nausea and my stomach looks like I'm 6 months pregnant. I feel hideous.

• Sad
I've woken up to the worst flare :(
I think it's because I was off work yesterday so for some unknown reason I felt anxious about coming back in today. I have cramps, I'm sweating but I've got goosebumps. I keep getting waves of nausea and my stomach looks like I'm 6 months pregnant. I feel hideous.
Hope you feel better soon

• Heart
I’m glad I’ve found this thread as I was diagnosed with diverticular disease earlier this year. I feel everyone’s pain around flare ups. I feel like any digestion issues just get cast aside by doctors a lot of the time.

How have people found support from doctors in terms of their eating once being diagnosed? I’m almost afraid to eat and rotate the same foods daily at the minute because I don’t want to flare up.

I’m glad I’ve found this thread as I was diagnosed with diverticular disease earlier this year. I feel everyone’s pain around flare ups. I feel like any digestion issues just get cast aside by doctors a lot of the time.

How have people found support from doctors in terms of their eating once being diagnosed? I’m almost afraid to eat and rotate the same foods daily at the minute because I don’t want to flare up.
I’ve got IBS not diverticular disease but my doctor suggested a low fodmap diet which had been working well for me.

I’ve got IBS not diverticular disease but my doctor suggested a low fodmap diet which had been working well for me.
Thank you so much for replying. I’ll definitely have a look into this. I’m a basically aware that I can’t seem to eat any veg or fruit with its skin on and bean/lentils are a no go. My diet is the blandest thing ever at the minute😩

The only time I don't have IB is when I don't eat any sugar or grain. If I eat higher carbs I'm on the loo all day. I have never been constipated.

My meals are mainly meat, eggs, cheeses salads and stir fry. No fruit or starchy carbs, no sugar, no sweeteners and I'm good to go. Have much better health mentally and physically. Being in ketosis works for me

Last edited:
Hey - has everyone had a confirmed diagnosis of IBD? I went to my GP over a month ago and they did some bloods and I’ve not heard anything back since. I suffer from really bad bloating when I eat, to the point I don’t really want to eat anymore, and stomach pains. I’m a size 6-8 and look a good 4/5 months pregnant after eating! I’ve cancelled most food groups out of my diet to try and pinpoint it but not having an answer from my GP is frustrating. I’ve bought some SenoCalm today and hoping they help relieve some symptoms.

I had a bad ibs flare up a few years so bad I passed out with the pain and fell into a wooden table, many stitches later and a few nights in hospital 🙈

• Wow
Hey - has everyone had a confirmed diagnosis of IBD? I went to my GP over a month ago and they did some bloods and I’ve not heard anything back since. I suffer from really bad bloating when I eat, to the point I don’t really want to eat anymore, and stomach pains. I’m a size 6-8 and look a good 4/5 months pregnant after eating! I’ve cancelled most food groups out of my diet to try and pinpoint it but not having an answer from my GP is frustrating. I’ve bought some SenoCalm today and hoping they help relieve some symptoms.
Yes I have Crohn's. Do you have any other symptoms?

I had a colonoscopy and that's how I was diagnosed.

Senocalm won't help with IBD. It may with IBS?

Anyone suffer with colitis?
what are the early symptoms please? My friends suffering atm, is it hereditary?

Anyone suffer with colitis?
what are the early symptoms please? My friends suffering atm, is it hereditary?
I have pan colitis (effects my whole colon) I wasn’t really ill beforehand then had a really bad flare up, was going to the GP each week for 6wks and being told I had IBS until I ended up in hospital severely ill.
At first I started going to the toilet more often, then urgently but laterally was I having frequent (as in teens) bloody stools and pain before and whilst going to the toilet. By the time I was in hospital I couldn’t eat or drink without either being sick or needing to rush to the toilet. I was asked regularly whilst in the hospital and just after I was diagnosed if I had any family members with bowel disease and it turns out my mum’s uncle suffered badly from crohn’s so they do seem think there is a genetic link with IBD . I’m sorry for your friend it’s really tough to get a diagnosis and having since spoken to others it sounds like I was lucky to have had such a bad flare up so early as it’s often misdiagnosed for a long time.

Yes I have Crohn's. Do you have any other symptoms?

I had a colonoscopy and that's how I was diagnosed.

Senocalm won't help with IBD. It may with IBS?
Sorry I meant IBS! 🙈

I have stomach cramps when eating and can go up to a week between going to the loo 😑 and feeling sick a lot/indigestion type feeling but it’s the bloating thats the worst.

• Sad
I have, diagnosed 2yrs ago. It took a long time to get answers, i was told ibs for many years and piles because of bleeding. If i was you, id request a referral to gastro. There are a number of tests they can do. Bloods, stool samples, sigmoid/colonoscopy.
I have found researching everything and being prepared helped massively! Crohns & colitis uk website has tons of info for you to read.
I ended up admitted in hospital via a&e from what i thought was a perculiar rash that had rapidly swelled and was painful to it being a side effect of my ibd and i was seriously anemic. I had rectal bleeding for years that was dismissed and became the "norm" ... its better to get it nipped in the bud if it is ibd, because it can be an absolute sod to get under control

I have pan colitis (effects my whole colon) I wasn’t really ill beforehand then had a really bad flare up, was going to the GP each week for 6wks and being told I had IBS until I ended up in hospital severely ill.
At first I started going to the toilet more often, then urgently but laterally was I having frequent (as in teens) bloody stools and pain before and whilst going to the toilet. By the time I was in hospital I couldn’t eat or drink without either being sick or needing to rush to the toilet. I was asked regularly whilst in the hospital and just after I was diagnosed if I had any family members with bowel disease and it turns out my mum’s uncle suffered badly from crohn’s so they do seem think there is a genetic link with IBD . I’m sorry for your friend it’s really tough to get a diagnosis and having since spoken to others it sounds like I was lucky to have had such a bad flare up so early as it’s often misdiagnosed for a long time.
There’s no blood, is that a red flag or can you have it without any bleeding?
Thank you for your reply xx