IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been diagnosed with IBS and started on mebeverine. I don’t think it’s making any difference at all to be honest.

I had a McDonald’s on Saturday and I’m still in agony with cramps and bloating. This is the worst flare up I’ve had, I’ve been in tears with it. Is there anything at all I can do it ease the pains?
Miso soup has eased my cramps in the past.

Reactions: 1
This is me.
Currently being referred back to my bowel consultant as my gynaecologist is like nah this isn't endometriosis.
They think it's Crohn's
I have endo but it looks this has masked the crohns and I was just ticked off the list and now the gynaecologist is like it's not endo but I have fallen through the cracks.

I have been extremely ill. It's no fun.
I've been hospitalised a few times, with severe bowel Infections. They've found tethering and weak areas of the bowel and scars etc

I have some hideous problems that doesn't coincidence with my period or ovulation.
Blood in stools
Fever...feels like I'm coming down with flu
Migraine
Sinus problems
Blood in stools
Mucas in stools
All of a sudden horrendous diarrhea
Constipation
Extreme tiredness with a flare-up like 14 hours sleep and still can't wake up
Brain fog
Face rash with flare up
Mouth ulcers
Have had angular cellulitis that needs strong meds as my body can't clear it up and fight the infection
Horrendous stomach pain in areas I can pinpoint ...like I was to pull my intestine out
Stomach pain makes me faint

Idk if this is crohns but I have it in the family and my GP is now going back to my bowel consultant.
I don't buy that it's endometriosis
It sounds like Crohn's to be honest. Especially the mouth ulcers.
I've got crohns (had it since I was 13) if you ever wanna chat or ask anything just drop me a message.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It sounds like Crohn's to be honest. Especially the mouth ulcers.
I've got crohns (had it since I was 13) if you ever wanna chat or ask anything just drop me a message.
Thank you so much ❤ I feel a bit lost tbh. Especially when they just chalked it up to endometriosis. However I now take meds to stop ovulation so in theory if it was endo it would stop any flare ups.
When I'm well I am fine and think maybe it's all ok and I'm better but then I have a severe attack and I feel defeated.
I've been struggling for 18 years.
How did you get diagnosed?
And are there food that cause issues for you?
I can't pinpoint it but when I've eaten sometimes I immediately need to go to the loo of feel like I need to throw up.

Thank you so much ❤ I feel a bit lost tbh. Especially when they just chalked it up to endometriosis. However I now take meds to stop ovulation so in theory if it was endo it would stop any flare ups.
When I'm well I am fine and think maybe it's all ok and I'm better but then I have a severe attack and I feel defeated.
I've been struggling for 18 years.
How did you get diagnosed?
And are there food that cause issues for you?
I can't pinpoint it but when I've eaten sometimes I immediately need to go to the loo of feel like I need to throw up.
My diognosis was quite unusual. I didn't really have any symptoms then one day had insane stomache pains, rushed up to hospital with a suspected appendicitis. They opened me up and found the majority of my bowel was completely fucked and cut it out, sent it off to be tested and it came back as Crohn's.
Crohn's is autoimmune disease so food doesn't really trigger a flare, but you can have IBS aswell and that is all food related. When im in a flare I do tend to avoid food with skins such as tomatoes, Sweetcorn etc as its hard to digest so when my intestines are all swollen food has a hard time getting through which can sometimes cause blockages.
I'm apart of quite alot of Facebook groups and would really suggest joining them. You can have a read of how people were diagnosed and treatment plans as its such a big spectrum of severity (just type in crohns UK and loads should pop up) . Fight for a diognosis and don't let them fob you off. Another great help is the crohns and colitis charity they have helplines and honestly it's a real comfort. You got this!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My diognosis was quite unusual. I didn't really have any symptoms then one day had insane stomache pains, rushed up to hospital with a suspected appendicitis. They opened me up and found the majority of my bowel was completely fucked and cut it out, sent it off to be tested and it came back as Crohn's.
Crohn's is autoimmune disease so food doesn't really trigger a flare, but you can have IBS aswell and that is all food related. When im in a flare I do tend to avoid food with skins such as tomatoes, Sweetcorn etc as its hard to digest so when my intestines are all swollen food has a hard time getting through which can sometimes cause blockages.
I'm apart of quite alot of Facebook groups and would really suggest joining them. You can have a read of how people were diagnosed and treatment plans as its such a big spectrum of severity (just type in crohns UK and loads should pop up) . Fight for a diognosis and don't let them fob you off. Another great help is the crohns and colitis charity they have helplines and honestly it's a real comfort. You got this!
Thank you. Jesus that sounds horrendous for you. I'm so sorry to hear this as I can only imagine how much pain you were in.

I've struggled with flare-ups for so long and then got so unwell last year they suspected appendicitis/diverticulitis (I don't fit any of the criteria) as well but they did a scan and found a severe infection throughout my bowel. They discovered tethering and weak/fatty areas of the bowel.
I was on the bowel ward for a week. However my colonoscopy seemed fine.
But by then my flare up had gone.

I feel like no one cares.
Feel like I may just go private but then o don't even know who to see!
Thanks for the suggestions and help!

I have been diagnosed with IBS and started on mebeverine. I don’t think it’s making any difference at all to be honest.

I had a McDonald’s on Saturday and I’m still in agony with cramps and bloating. This is the worst flare up I’ve had, I’ve been in tears with it. Is there anything at all I can do it ease the pains?
Peppermint tea helps me a lot with bloating, i dont know if its the same but buscopan helped me with cramping

Thank you. Jesus that sounds horrendous for you. I'm so sorry to hear this as I can only imagine how much pain you were in.

I've struggled with flare-ups for so long and then got so unwell last year they suspected appendicitis/diverticulitis (I don't fit any of the criteria) as well but they did a scan and found a severe infection throughout my bowel. They discovered tethering and weak/fatty areas of the bowel.
I was on the bowel ward for a week. However my colonoscopy seemed fine.
But by then my flare up had gone.

I feel like no one cares.
Feel like I may just go private but then o don't even know who to see!
Thanks for the suggestions and help!
Ask to have an endoscopy or a capsule endoscopy. Crohns can be from mouth to anus so your inflamation could be higher up the digestive tract where a colonscopy wouldn't be able to reach.
It's horrible but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately you just got to advocate for yourself and don't take no for an answer otherwise they don't do tit.

Reactions: 2
You really have to fight fight fight when it comes to getting a diagnosis or treatment unfortunately . Try to keep a diary/list of symptoms it really helps when trying TJ explain how you’re feeling and your symptoms

Reactions: 2
You really have to fight fight fight when it comes to getting a diagnosis or treatment unfortunately . Try to keep a diary/list of symptoms it really helps when trying TJ explain how you’re feeling and your symptoms
Yes! And take photos of your tit (I know it's grim). I did this with the amout of blood I was having, they didn't take me seriously until I showed them the level and then they realised I had a fistula.

I am also on mebeverine for my IBS. Mostly it does help me however I know some other people really recommend peppermint tea! Have you tried that?

Is mebeverine prescription only or can you get it over the counter?
i get mine on repeat prescription but I believe “colofac“ can be bought over the counter and it’s exactly the same, just a brand name of the medication (ive been prescribed colofac when mebeverine was unavailable at my pharmacy and they told me it was the same)

I’m so glad I’ve came across this thread! My doctor thinks I have suspected IBS. I can be on the toilet upto 6/7 times a day💩 , I pump without even knowing I’m doing it, I get horrible cramping, I pass all I can explain as is clear ish mucus (TMI, sorry). He gave me apercap and buscapan. He done a stool sample (all clear/normal), bloods (all normal but low folic acid), gluten intolerance test (normal) buy my symptoms still persist. There’s a part of my worried it’s something more serious (but ruled out most things so unlikely), and a part of me sad as I know there’s no ‘cure’ for IBS. How did everyone feel going through this stage?

• Sad
I’ve suffered with episodes of constipation and bloat for years, I finally mention it to the GP 2 years ago and he recommended peppermint capsules and I’m glad he did as the episodes have gradually become more frequent and then they do make a difference

Currently I spend most days bloated etc feeling normal is rare but last week my stomach behaved really oddly and I’m hoping someone might understand

Last Fri an area at the top of my stomach, just below my ribs began to contract last a second or 2 then stop and the frequency of repetition has varied each day

It feels really unpleasant like I’ve got an alien in there but I wouldn’t call it painful more uncomfortable, it hadn’t stopped by Tuesday so called GP and lucky me can have a phone appointment in a fortnight

It’s been a full week now and there hasn’t been a day without my alien contraction spasms things

I’m going about my day as normal but it’s concerning as I’ve no idea what’s going on

Does I sound familiar to any of you?

I’ve suffered with episodes of constipation and bloat for years, I finally mention it to the GP 2 years ago and he recommended peppermint capsules and I’m glad he did as the episodes have gradually become more frequent and then they do make a difference

Currently I spend most days bloated etc feeling normal is rare but last week my stomach behaved really oddly and I’m hoping someone might understand

Last Fri an area at the top of my stomach, just below my ribs began to contract last a second or 2 then stop and the frequency of repetition has varied each day

It feels really unpleasant like I’ve got an alien in there but I wouldn’t call it painful more uncomfortable, it hadn’t stopped by Tuesday so called GP and lucky me can have a phone appointment in a fortnight

It’s been a full week now and there hasn’t been a day without my alien contraction spasms things

I’m going about my day as normal but it’s concerning as I’ve no idea what’s going on

Have you tried Buscapan?

I’ve had IBS all my adult life, nothing I’ve ever tried seems to make much difference.

It’s 6am and I’ve had little to no sleep all night cos my stomach is in bits.

• Sad

When you say top of your stomach, is it a particular side of your body?

I sometimes have sore stomach and ribs on the left side (as well lower back and abdomen sometimes too) and I was diagnosed with diverticular disease earlier this year via a CT scan. I now take 20mg of Omeprazole every day (I’m going to ask my doctor if I can stop this because I’ve read you shouldn’t take it long term).

I’m not saying you have this btw.