IBS/IBD sufferers...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t post here I usually read as I resonate because I have IBS. But OMG, had a terrible flare up today that has lasted all day, I think it was the food and drink I had yesterday. I woke up at 10 and was fine and at around 11 my stomach just began to cramping, and I spent a half hour in the toilet, turning pale, nauseous and I even had to vomit in the bath because the pain was so bad. I was convinced I had food poisoning, but it’s definitely not as my entire family are fine. It’s alright now but my stomach is still bloated and I keep getting the feeling I’m not empty.

if I am having a flare up, I try not to drink anything unless necessary, no water, no tea, nothing. It makes it worse. If it’s a day of a flare up I don’t eat neither, as that makes it worse, the next day I will eat something small and see how it goes. Then I’ll try to drink again if it goes well.

But happy Christmas to you all!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Firstly Merry Christmas everyone. Not sure why I’m posting this on Christmas Day but suppose it’s better to just write it down before the madness starts!

Recently had some bloods taken and found out that my iron is low (7.4 when it shouldn’t be lower than 10-31). Now for those of you who may have seen my posts on here before you will know I have diverticular disease. I have a lot of symptoms of IDA (iron deficiency anemia) such as I’m always cold, I bruise really easily etc but I’m also aware that taking iron tablets orally is harsh on the gut and can cause constipation which I don’t want with diverticular disease. Has anyone here had low iron in line with their IBD/IBS? If so how did it get resolved?

I don’t want my GP to palm me off with iron tablets and this make me have a flare up. Am I being stupid to request they look at giving me something intravenously or iron injections (if there is such a thing - I’ll admit I need to research). I’m just sick of being ill, or as I always say “I just don’t feel right”. I’ve gone from having great health to 80+ incidences on my health record this year alone since being diagnosed with diverticular disease. It’s a nightmare! I’m young, and in all honesty as ignorant as it sounds, I don’t have time for my body to be fighting against me.

Appreciate any opinions / thoughts ♥🎄
Mine was really low, and I was B12 anemic at the same time when diagnosed. Infusion of Iron was needed to sort me out, much simpler than tablets!

Mine was really low, and I was B12 anemic at the same time when diagnosed. Infusion of Iron was needed to sort me out, much simpler than tablets!
I’m really hoping they take into consideration my diverticulitis stuff because I really fear having a flare up. They’re horrific.

I’m not sure if 7 will be considered low enough but it’s honestly getting me down. I just want it sorted.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a very bad time with IBS since giving up the Christmas treats and going back on plan? I have been off plan for a long time and went quite overboard and felt rubbish, but since resetting a few days ago I've been terrible. Normal reaction to a sudden change in diet? Also wondering if anyone has tried taking l-glucosamine for IBS and if it helped them at all, I read about this somewhere and picked up a bottle of 500mg today from Holland and Barrett, hoping it helps.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a very bad time with IBS since giving up the Christmas treats and going back on plan? I have been off plan for a long time and went quite overboard and felt rubbish, but since resetting a few days ago I've been terrible. Normal reaction to a sudden change in diet? Also wondering if anyone has tried taking l-glucosamine for IBS and if it helped them at all, I read about this somewhere and picked up a bottle of 500mg today from Holland and Barrett, hoping it helps.
I haven’t tried the glucosamine so can’t comment on that but I do notice that any change in my diet flares my IBS badly. I actually eat at very strict times everyday to try and combat this, so I’ll always have lunch between 12.30/1.30 and dinner will be between 5.30 and 6.30 everyday. I don’t eat breakfast as it doesn’t always agree with me. Sticking to specific times for meals really helps and if I eat later than normal I do find my symptoms flare. So changing what you’re eating might also have a similareffect,

have you been to the GP to get medication? I take mebeverine before every meal every single day and it really helps. Perhaps you could see your GP and see if they can offer something suitable to you?

I have tried the fybogel sachets in the past and they didn’t do anything for me. Dulcolax don’t even work!! I try and make sure I drink lots of water and eat prunes 😂 the bloating had gone down by Thursday morning, but when I took my skirt and tights off on Wednesday night, my stomach popped out and was rock hard.
Although, it’s horrible other people experience, I’m glad I know there people out there that suffer too.
I wish I didn’t have to watch everything I eat incase it triggers a reaction in my stomach.
Oh my god! I’m sure I have something wrong with me. I’ve had non stop stomach issues for years. Starting around 2018! I had a laparoscopy in March last year to have a 16cm cyst removed from my ovary but now I’m living on pain killers because of stomach pain, my stomach goes ROCK hard! My older brother who’s in his 30s has ibs but obviously I don’t want to self diagnose! I’m in agony the moment I wake up until I take my tablets :( I’m 19 & I always feel really awkward and embarrassed speaking to my gp. Like I’ve been fobbed off ALOT with one of them saying, ‘oh it’s probably just constipation. Probably just period pain’ etc. but it’s never ending! Some days I could cry the amount of pain I’m in. After eating certain foods I’ll feel so nauseas I’m on sickness tablets (Cyclizine) to help that but sometimes it’s so bad I am physically sick, I’ve tried them sachets they give you from the doctors for constipation but obviously they haven’t really helped not that I do think it is *that* anyway, I’m a size 10-12 and over these years I’ve noticed my stomach has gotten so much more swollen & bloated looking which I never used to before since around late 17/2018. I don’t think it’s endo because wouldn’t that of came up with me having a laparoscopy? Sorry to jump on here & word vomit lol just need some advice ♥ (Plus some of you are older and more experienced than me with things like this whereas I’m an anxious mess!😂) xx

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1
I read a review for one vibration platform that it helped the reviewer to “go.” I’m currently asking my neighbors if anyone has a platform that they’re trying to get rid of - so much senseless buying took place during lockdown so I’m hopeful 🤞 I will update if I get my hands on one.
I stopped taking my UC medicine at the beginning of December. My ulcers have gone. My digestion is still sporadic so I began taking dicyclomine. The improvement is minuscule 😕

Oh my god! I’m sure I have something wrong with me. I’ve had non stop stomach issues for years. Starting around 2018! I had a laparoscopy in March last year to have a 16cm cyst removed from my ovary but now I’m living on pain killers because of stomach pain, my stomach goes ROCK hard! My older brother who’s in his 30s has ibs but obviously I don’t want to self diagnose! I’m in agony the moment I wake up until I take my tablets :( I’m 19 & I always feel really awkward and embarrassed speaking to my gp. Like I’ve been fobbed off ALOT with one of them saying, ‘oh it’s probably just constipation. Probably just period pain’ etc. but it’s never ending! Some days I could cry the amount of pain I’m in. After eating certain foods I’ll feel so nauseas I’m on sickness tablets (Cyclizine) to help that but sometimes it’s so bad I am physically sick, I’ve tried them sachets they give you from the doctors for constipation but obviously they haven’t really helped not that I do think it is *that* anyway, I’m a size 10-12 and over these years I’ve noticed my stomach has gotten so much more swollen & bloated looking which I never used to before since around late 17/2018. I don’t think it’s endo because wouldn’t that of came up with me having a laparoscopy? Sorry to jump on here & word vomit lol just need some advice ♥ (Plus some of you are older and more experienced than me with things like this whereas I’m an anxious mess!😂) xx
Demand to have a colonscopy or more investigations. They fob you off until you take a stand. I know its tit but dont give in to them. You shouldn't have to spend your life in pain and feeling sick all the time.

Demand to have a colonscopy or more investigations. They fob you off until you take a stand. I know its tit but dont give in to them. You shouldn't have to spend your life in pain and feeling sick all the time.
Agreed, you need Bloods and Fecal Tests for inflammation, B12, and Iron levels, as well as Colonoscopy and MRI to see exactly what is going on in that area!

Hi everyone, I found something out yesterday I never knew, I had severe Crohn’s for years up until remission a couple of years ago. Been through various failed treatments and surgeries and ended up needing a stoma at 19 yrs old. Anyway my point is has anyone ever heard of acne medication and Crohn’s? Basically it’s an antibiotic - even google clearly states it’s not suitable to ibd patients. I have been prescribed duac for years and years and smothered my face it like no tomorrow 😭 anyway, since I stopped using it I have been in remission ever since. Am I right in thinking this could have been what was aggravating it so bad and causing the flare ups and surely I should never have been prescribed this?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
My doctors are absolutely useless. Said I need to try over the next four weeks to raise my iron on my own (even though it’s under threshold already at 7.4). If that doesn’t work the only option for me is to take iron tablets. When I went back and said “that isn’t an option as I have to avoid constipation with diverticular disease”, the response was “we would suggest taking laxatives with the iron tablets”

Yeah, let’s just irritate my bowel even further and give me a flare up. I told her I want referring to haematology but the best she could do was “send my results for advice”.

No mention of iron transfusions at all. I’m at the point where I may just ask to be referred private.

It’s almost like I’m being left to get worse and worse to the point where a blood transfusion will be the only option left to me. So down about it and I’m getting anxious over it because no one appears to want to help me because I’m young. It’s ridiculous

• Sad
My doctors are absolutely useless. Said I need to try over the next four weeks to raise my iron on my own (even though it’s under threshold already at 7.4). If that doesn’t work the only option for me is to take iron tablets. When I went back and said “that isn’t an option as I have to avoid constipation with diverticular disease”, the response was “we would suggest taking laxatives with the iron tablets”

Yeah, let’s just irritate my bowel even further and give me a flare up. I told her I want referring to haematology but the best she could do was “send my results for advice”.

No mention of iron transfusions at all. I’m at the point where I may just ask to be referred private.

It’s almost like I’m being left to get worse and worse to the point where a blood transfusion will be the only option left to me. So down about it and I’m getting anxious over it because no one appears to want to help me because I’m young. It’s ridiculous
Take a look into liquid iron. A lot of people report better results.

• Heart
My UC is rearing her head 😔 I got really arrogant and was eating too much veg. I can’t believe that vegetable soup could do this to me but this is exactly how things all started in the first place. I don’t get how I’m supposed to have nutritious foods if they make me sick like this. It’s only bananas and carbs for now.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I'm coming to the conclusion that my IBS is literally just random 🤷‍♀️ I Can eat a specific meal and be fine then eat the exact same meal again 2 weeks later and be on the toilet all night afterward.

• Sad
Hi everyone, I found something out yesterday I never knew, I had severe Crohn’s for years up until remission a couple of years ago. Been through various failed treatments and surgeries and ended up needing a stoma at 19 yrs old. Anyway my point is has anyone ever heard of acne medication and Crohn’s? Basically it’s an antibiotic - even google clearly states it’s not suitable to ibd patients. I have been prescribed duac for years and years and smothered my face it like no tomorrow 😭 anyway, since I stopped using it I have been in remission ever since. Am I right in thinking this could have been what was aggravating it so bad and causing the flare ups and surely I should never have been prescribed this?
Topical abx are not the same as oral. Applying it to your skin would have no effect on your crohns. The reason we avoid oral abx is because they are very aggravating on the gut which obviously causes issues with an already delicate gut.