Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Just spent 2-3 hours changing over my winter wardrobe to summer and placing clothes together that are matchy matchy 😄 otherwise it would take me ages to get out of the house. So I suppose I'm organised :unsure:
Is at this time of year also that I put away the slow cooker and change up mealtimes to suit the weather. Soon I will also put away the big cosy bedding and replace with warm weather bedding. As for the garden it was prepped in February for the summer flowers. I like to have the garden ready before the beginning of spring.
I don't have a diary with deadlines though but I think a bit of organisation is good as it can give you more time to do the things you enjoy instead of being overwhelmed with chores all at once.

Reactions: 1

Yoghurtpots

VIP Member
My downstairs is show home standard most of the day, I'm always tidying and cleaning it and doing regular declutters. The storage isn't organised but everything has a home and nothing is overflowing. It has an extension so is bigger than upstairs.
My upstairs is a TIP, x2 box rooms, plus my room is small, landing and bathroom small. Theres 5 of us and there's just too much stuff! Clothes everywhere , storage systems full to bursting. It looks like a teenagers bedroom from the landing into every room

However today, all 5 of us are sorting it! Lots of tip runs. Can't wait for it to be zen like and only take 30 mins to sort out rather than a whole day!!

Laur91

VIP Member
I’m super organised in terms of my life like I have a couple of diaries and planners to manage my appointments and things like that. I also LOVE a to-do list.

In terms of home, I’m rubbish with clothes organisation etc like I’m proper messy haha if only I could organise my wardrobe like a planner 😂🙈

Orange Creme

VIP Member
I’m reasonably organised. Is it just me or do those Organised Mum Method/Mrs Hinch type accounts give give anyone else the creeps? There’s a bit of a Stepford Wife/Instagram perfect/Fake idea of what life should look like. Shouldn’t we be smashing up the patriarchy instead of polishing everything and putting all our dry goods in pretty jars?
Yes! I dont like either for different reasons!

Guacamole123

Chatty Member
Really unorganised. My house looks lovely and clean and tidy, but if you open any cupboard you’ll see it’s filled to the brim with crap😂. I’m also horribly unorganised at work but somehow do a good job of acting like I have it all together. It’s my resolution for this year to be more organised in every aspect of my life so we’ll see how that goes

Our house is always tidy, but I think it's mainly because we don't have a whole lot of stuff to organise. I guess that living in a teeny tiny place in London does have it's perks - we simply don't have enough space to accumulate any clutter. 😂

We pack the dishwasher as we cook, wipe down surfaces throughout the day, etc. but I am by no means part of the Hinchbrigade. 😱 It's important to maintain some standard of hygiene but there really is so much more to life than Zoflora and Minky cloths.

Jc456

VIP Member
Because I’m not a very naturally organised person, I have embraced minimalism. I now find having less stuff so much less stressful, I find cleaning the house easier and quicker and the things I do keep stay organised as there’s a home for the few things I do have. Minimalism has saved my sanity. I have 3 kids - 2 with Autism and I no longer feel completely overwhelmed and am a much better mum to my kids as I have more time for then than spending my time dealing with the house. We have even minimised our clothes big time so there is less to manage/ put away, small amounts of laundry and I can now see everything we own/wear and we only keep the things we love!
This is what I need to do!! I've just downsized house and have too much stuff. I've not actually unpacked off of it as there's no where for it to go. It really stresses me out.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I’m not very organised but I’m improving. I used to not even have a diary, that’s how bad I was! I’ve decluttered a lot but I had (still have) a ridiculous amount of stuff from it being in storage/in a place I didn’t live most of the time/generally not knowing how to declutter. I’m still far from perfect but baby steps - I have a kind of ‘hoarder’ mindset so I need to work on fixing the mental part too otherwise I’ll never get anywhere with organisation

I decluttered years of papers a few months ago, but I let it build up again and had to re-do it recently. Now I have a filing system for the bare minimum stuff I have to keep (I don’t want to go paperless just yet) and it’s all organised by category. It’s the most organised part of my life and I’m hoping everything else follows suit

The hardest part of being organised/minimal for me is in terms of my toddler. I feel the need to provide her with everything, don’t want to reject gifts she’s given, and feel bad about decluttering her stuff even though she’s far too young to do it herself. While I’ve decluttered A LOT it doesn’t feel like much as all her stuff has filled that space

Dizzy

VIP Member
I didn't want to start a new thread but as anyone folded their clothes the Marie Condo way? I tried to do my t shirts but I couldn't fit them all in the draw! it takes up more room folding them her way then folding them the normal way.
Yes I do! Agreed they take up more room but I have underbed storage for t-shirts, jumpers and jeans/trousers and I cannot tell you how pleasing it is to see them all lined up in there! I store everything colour coded too (I have a lot of clothes) and it makes it easier to find what I'm looking for as I can see everything I own - would recommend if you have room.

SavvyBee

VIP Member
I'm super organized in the sense that everything has a place and goes back to its place after it has been used. My wardrobes are neat and everything is sorted by colour, my work desk is always immaculate because I can't work around clutter, all my bills are in a file and sorted by category, etc.

The one place I cannot for the life of me get sorted is my work emails. I need to remember to sort emails into appropriate folders immediately, but in the thick of work I never remember to. My inbox is currently at 5000+ emails from over the years; all read and replied to but nothing sorted at all. If someone were to come in to take on my job, they'd never find the correspondence they were looking for! Now it's too late to try to sort it all- it would take months!
The odd thing is, everything else at work is sorted. Desk is clear, drawers are organized, files are all up-to-date, paper work all accounted for and easy to sort through. It's just the digital correspondence that I couldn't figure out how to stay on top off. So embarrassing!
Do you use google mail? I find it amazing for email filing, the search and label functions are brilliant. I now use my inbox as a to-do list and manage to finish most days with it clear. I’m dying to get my hands on my husband’s. It’s so worth spending a day getting it done!

Looney toons

I’m reasonably organised. Is it just me or do those Organised Mum Method/Mrs Hinch type accounts give give anyone else the creeps? There’s a bit of a Stepford Wife/Instagram perfect/Fake idea of what life should look like. Shouldn’t we be smashing up the patriarchy instead of polishing everything and putting all our dry goods in pretty jars?
Absolutely this! So long as my house is clean that beats decluttering and decanting and showroom style. I don't want it perfect i want it tidy and hygienic that will do for me.

thetis

I'm quite well organised but also depressed haha, so some of the untouched sections of my closets are so pristine, Marie Kondo would shed tears. But I also have 6 day old tea stained mugs judging me on my nightstand and a heap of cluttered mess in some other cabinets waiting for me to find the will to exist.

Decluttering has made it so much easier to deal with it when there is a mess. Takes me an hour or two of solid work to put the place back in order even when it's dire (except the hidden mess).

That being said, I don't have kids or pets and the only mess I need to deal with is my own, so my job is a lot easier than those who are dealing with toddlers or messy teenagers around the house.

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
I think I would be someone's worst nightmare. My bedroom is an utter tip but I'm very clean in all other areas of the house, I can't walk past the kitchen without wiping down the surfaces or fretting about the bins

For some reason when I walk into my bedroom I collapse into a heap and scatter things everywhere. It belongs to me and is my messy little soul

• Heart

2xblended

VIP Member
I'm super organized in the sense that everything has a place and goes back to its place after it has been used. My wardrobes are neat and everything is sorted by colour, my work desk is always immaculate because I can't work around clutter, all my bills are in a file and sorted by category, etc.

The one place I cannot for the life of me get sorted is my work emails. I need to remember to sort emails into appropriate folders immediately, but in the thick of work I never remember to. My inbox is currently at 5000+ emails from over the years; all read and replied to but nothing sorted at all. If someone were to come in to take on my job, they'd never find the correspondence they were looking for! Now it's too late to try to sort it all- it would take months!
The odd thing is, everything else at work is sorted. Desk is clear, drawers are organized, files are all up-to-date, paper work all accounted for and easy to sort through. It's just the digital correspondence that I couldn't figure out how to stay on top off. So embarrassing!

carebear123

I used to be a organised person but lately I've let things slip I used to write lists everything had a place I couldn't go bed without the house tidied,I really need to sort myself out and get back into my old ways for my sanity

2xblended

VIP Member
Do you use google mail? I find it amazing for email filing, the search and label functions are brilliant. I now use my inbox as a to-do list and manage to finish most days with it clear. I’m dying to get my hands on my husband’s. It’s so worth spending a day getting it done!
We were switched over from Outlook to Gmail at work, so what was once perfectly organized in folders (it really was!) was then just spilled into my new Inbox. All of a sudden I had no folders and a ton of emails with no labels or categories. Since that happened, I started down the slippery slope of trying to label new emails coming in, but for whatever reason, I never got on top of it or did it consistently.
Searching works great for me as I know what to search for, but I do wonder if someone else comes in how they will ever figure it out.
I think I need to just do as you say, allocate some time to just tackle this and get it sorted once and for all. Thanks for the kick up the bum! 😛

No style rocky

I’d say I’m pretty organised. We have 2 boys, work full time and don’t have a cleaner #firstworldproblem I’m sure I’ll survive ;) so to keep on top of things ,as the original poster commented, I like things to have a home, although I don’t decant cereal into glass jars or use a labelling machine

Orange Creme

VIP Member
I'd say I can only be organised in one area at a time. Either kids/ home or me. These days I'm most organised with the kids followed by my home then me. I'm going back to my career in september when my youngest starts school and I'm worried it will end up being a priority over my children.