How much working from home do you actually do?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In Uni, basically teaching myself my heavy course load for the third semester in a row.. I think I might be getting a bit depressed and overwhelmed honestly.

I find myself working more than ever to be honest. You don’t get the usual chats at the tea point or popping out on a lunch break or even just walking to the printer, I work in a large building and we have flexi time so it was quite relaxed to some extent. It seems so full on now, I know everyone’s different but I always feel guilty if my laptop drops to “inactive” even when I’m putting the kettle on, which is silly as work don’t expect you to be constantly available but I think everyone feels the same in our department. We have to take a minimum 20 minute break and that’s all I have had really since last March.

I used to take a full hour + at times. I’m not sure if we’re busier than ever or if I just feel more pressure now I’m on my own, our team meetings on zoom etc have dropped off so we rarely see eachother in our actual team. I think I would prefer to continue to work from home but maybe go into the office once a week just for the social interaction!

Reactions: 5
I find myself working more than ever to be honest. You don’t get the usual chats at the tea point or popping out on a lunch break or even just walking to the printer, I work in a large building and we have flexi time so it was quite relaxed to some extent. It seems so full on now, I know everyone’s different but I always feel guilty if my laptop drops to “inactive” even when I’m putting the kettle on, which is silly as work don’t expect you to be constantly available but I think everyone feels the same in our department.
I feel the same way! What I've done so that I don't feel guilty for making a cup of tea, is for on those occasions, just using a debit card to keep the Ctrl key held down on my keyboard while I'm away. That way it doesn't drop to inactive.

As you say, in the office you'd always fit in breaks/walks around the building into a typical day, and we shouldn't feel bad for doing that now. So long as the work gets done, the exact timings/methods are unimportant.

Reactions: 2
I was thinking about this today - on the days I’m at home I do get easily distracted, I’ll do a bit of cleaning or washing, or have an extended lunch break. I feel so lazy and unproductive but in reality I’m getting the same amount of work done. When I’m in the office a lot of time is spent discussing things with colleagues, general chat, dealing with phone calls and getting called over to help others, so without all that I’m actually probably more productive at home even if I don’t feel like it!

Reactions: 5
My work load is pretty much the same. Have had some spikes as our partners came back from furlough. I expect it will be the same after this lockdown.

My managers are very flexible with times and working schedules to suit etc. but I do miss meeting clients face to face and driving. I just miss driving without an essential excuse. I am getting fed up with having my work stress in my home. Can’t wait for at least a day in the office or something.

Reactions: 1
The first few months of working from home I did much more and felt super productive. Definitely doing less now as lacking motivation and feeling a bit bored, but think that's mostly due to my job getting a bit too easy and needing more of a challenge.

Reactions: 3
My workload increased dramatically for urgent covid-related projects. I definitely do more at home but it balances out cause I can have Netflix on in the background I guess.
I feel very guilty if I log on late or a little early. But then again I'm expected to work stupid amounts of hours to get projects done. I have done crazy amounts of overtime where I've had to work 18 extra hours over the weekend and I've logged on at 1am to get stuff done.
My manager has also forgotten boundaries. Meetings an hour before work without notice. Phone calls during lunch, saturdays, 8pm at night. It can be very difficult to manage.

I am pretty fed up of zoom. I am fed up of having to have my camera on.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
My workload increased dramatically for urgent covid-related projects. I definitely do more at home but it balances out cause I can have Netflix on in the background I guess.
I feel very guilty if I log on late or a little early. But then again I'm expected to work stupid amounts of hours to get projects done. I have done crazy amounts of overtime where I've had to work 18 extra hours over the weekend and I've logged on at 1am to get stuff done.
My manager has also forgotten boundaries. Meetings an hour before work without notice. Phone calls during lunch, saturdays, 8pm at night. It can be very difficult to manage.

Omg keep camera off. I haven’t had mine on since the novelty wore off in April 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4

I'm so sick of Zoom too! I've seen quite a few articles about zoom fatigue and how it can be draining/make people anxious because you miss cues that you would usually pick up on in person. I always feel knackered after loads of long zoom calls.

Omg keep camera off. I haven’t had mine on since the novelty wore off in April 😂
Yes this! God my hair most days is not appropriate for a work zoom call 😂

• Haha
Occasionally people mention my camera and it’s a flat out NO from me. Just look at my outlook picture if you miss my face that much 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Haha
@Peaches_xox @slugella I really wish I could. My manager refuses to start meetings without seeing us!!
Also I had such an awkward meeting where I was teaching a group of people how to do something. Not one of them had camera or sound on. So I was teaching them and none of them were listening. It was so difficult so I feel bad and know what it must feel like.

@Peaches_xox @slugella I really wish I could. My manager refuses to start meetings without seeing us!!
Also I had such an awkward meeting where I was teaching a group of people how to do something. Not one of them had camera or sound on. So I was teaching them and none of them were listening. It was so difficult so I feel bad and know what it must feel like.
Do you look presentable every day? I really tried in the first few weeks way back in March April but now I roll out of bed into the shower hair shoved up 🤣 but I know what you mean about teaching. I spent a week training a new starter over zoom with her unmuting herself to say mhmm every now and again and felt like a massive waste of my time!!

As a workaholic I'm really struggling at the moment. I have spent the entire pandemic working my ass off until recently. To the point that if I start late i.e. don't turn my laptop on on time I get very stressed even though no one knows what time I start or what I'm doing, I also feel guilty if I end up taking some time to do a bit of washing or anything that isn't work and I'm putting in way more hours than I would if I was in the office. I'm stressing myself out so much about it at the moment, it's harder at present as my workload is quite quiet post Christmas (this is normal because of what I do and not pandemic related), so I'm spending all of my time sat at my home desk, not working as I don't have much on, but feeling guilty about it at the same time.

I'm really curious to know what everyone else is doing? I've never done a poll on here before so apologies if the options are a bit rubbish!
I work in operations for a technology company and completely relate to this. My job relies heavily on other people (particularly at the minute having to help out with recruitment) so there’s so much I can’t control which makes me automatically think my bosses assume I’m not working. I also get anxious that if I don’t work EVERY SINGLE SECOND then I’m in trouble.... when I’m not. My boss would like me to work less but our targets for this quarter won’t allow it (tech is mega busy).
Working from home can breed all sorts of mental issues so I have been chanting “just control the controllables” to myself on most days 😂

• Heart
I’m at university so not really had to do ‘proper’ work, I’d say I work on my homework/coursework more but that’s only because I don’t have to commute; I find the routine of commuting, then getting home and having dinner really drains me and then I just want to veg out rather than pick the laptop up and engage my brain. But at home I know I can work for a burst and then chill within a matter of minutes. I also agree that zoom calls are exhausting - you wouldn’t think it, but I feel they are. Last term on a Friday morning I had two lectures back-to-back until 12pm - found it really tough. And that was without the demands my camera was on (meaning then there’s the pressure to be ‘presentable’) or the lecturer randomly pinning me to the chat and asking me to comment on stuff without giving any notice or me volunteering, or the video buffering and cutting out all the time 👎🏼 After those lectures I felt so drained and didn’t work for hours afterwards 😅

I think I could work from home if the option was given to me permanently when I begin job hunting, but, I think I would need that balance between office days and work days to be my most productive.

Do you look presentable every day? I really tried in the first few weeks way back in March April but now I roll out of bed into the shower hair shoved up 🤣 but I know what you mean about teaching. I spent a week training a new starter over zoom with her unmuting herself to say mhmm every now and again and felt like a massive waste of my time!!
I suppose so lol. I don't wear make up every day and I always have t-shirt and leggings on. Sometimes a hoodie but I'm in a department where that's okay so I can get away with it lol. My hair is often up too. I am in the mindset of I would look like this sometimes at work so whatever. I'm clean, tidy and smiling. That's all that matters right?

Oh my god that sounds like torture lol. I would have just liked them to be on camera. Nod every now and again. The proof was in the pudding when 4 of them didn't take it in and had to ask questions again the next week. One admitted she was not listening fully :ROFLMAO:

I just double checked. I had 6 zoom calls today. cancelled 2 :oops::oops::oops:o_O This is a normal day for me right now too.

I’m doing so little and it’s really getting me down 😔

I changed jobs last year because I was bored of my old one and needed more mental stimulation. I started my new one which I was happy about cos I thought I’d have loads to do but I just don’t. What makes it worse is that I feel like my colleagues are swamped and I’m literally sitting all day on my phone (I can’t take any work off their hands). I have kind of bought it up and have been told that this is a quiet time of year but today I probably only worked for an hour tops. I’m worried that when I start working in the office I’ll have nothing to do and it won’t be so easy to hide that.

What makes it worse is that when I do have stuff to do, I don’t do it and put it off until the last minute cos I know it’s all I have to do.

Im honestly jealous of people that have loads to do because I would love that.

I’m doing so little and it’s really getting me down 😔

I changed jobs last year because I was bored of my old one and needed more mental stimulation. I started my new one which I was happy about cos I thought I’d have loads to do but I just don’t. What makes it worse is that I feel like my colleagues are swamped and I’m literally sitting all day on my phone (I can’t take any work off their hands). I have kind of bought it up and have been told that this is a quiet time of year but today I probably only worked for an hour tops. I’m worried that when I start working in the office I’ll have nothing to do and it won’t be so easy to hide that.

What makes it worse is that when I do have stuff to do, I don’t do it and put it off until the last minute cos I know it’s all I have to do.

Im honestly jealous of people that have loads to do because I would love that.
I know exactly what you mean and I often feel this way at the moment, are there any online courses or similar you could do to fill some of the time with a bit of personal development perhaps?

• Heart
I know exactly what you mean and I often feel this way at the moment, are there any online courses or similar you could do to fill some of the time with a bit of personal development perhaps?
Im doing some CPD stuff but as there’s no deadline and I’m not held accountable, I find it really hard to get going with it

Im doing some CPD stuff but as there’s no deadline and I’m not held accountable, I find it really hard to get going with it
Yeah I have that problem too, I need some clear goals and outcomes to get on with something like that!

Started WFH in March after only starting at the company in January. It’s been a challenge and there’s been weeks where I’ve been flat out and working a lot more hours but then today I managed half an hour on tattle so it’s swings and roundabouts. Too many meetings is what annoys me! If I wasn’t in so many meetings, I could get a lot more done. I did at first feel guilty for having a dinner hour but not anymore. Half 12 - Half 1 is my time (which I tend to spend working through my cleaning list and prepping veg etc for tea)