How much do you spend on food per week?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ours is

mince
Steak diced
Whole chicken
Bacon
Sausages
Whole milk
Cheese
Ready made pastry
Crème frauche
granola
Eggs
Double cream
Salted butter
Cold meats
Pasta
Tinned plum tomatoes
Coconut milk
Spices
Rice
Rice cakes
Choc bars
Crisps
Fruit apples, bananas, strawberries etc
Ice cream
Red wine
Frozen bits
Cat food
Poratoes
Mixed veg

Reactions: 2
For me, husband and 1 cat.
Tescos £30 ish
Aldi £40-£60
A week, used to be able to get it all for &60ish a week, but noticing the price jumps more recently.
I do a top up shop in sainsburys.
Husband is fussy with own brands where I grew up in a Tescos basic range household, so will eat anything really. Husband grew up in a food horders house..and they still do now! We could do our shop at their house they have so much n most of it gets thrown away! Drives us up rhe wall!

I meal plan every week.

Lettuce
Greens (beans broccoli etc)
Carrots
Veg for soup
Bananas apples oranges melon
Berries
Grapes
Red/white onion
Red peppers
Potatoes
Eggs
Bread/bagels/wraps/baps

proteins - fish chicken meat
Dairy - butter (milk from milkman)
Greek yogurt
Frozen veg peas corn green beans broccoli

rice / noodles/ pasta
Oats
Wheetabix
Tea coffee
Tuna
Honey
Tinned tomatoes
Oil
Top up of any spices/herbs

My staples are

Baby spinach
Courgettes
Mushrooms
Peppers
Cucumber
Asparagus
Sweet potato 🍠
Avocados 🥑
Broccoli 🥦
Red onions
Pak Choi 🥬
Kale 🥬
Apples
Bananas
Grapes
Pomegranate
Watermelon 🍉

Tofu
Feta cheese
Halloumi
A few fake meat things for the husband
Calif almond milk iced coffee
Oat milk
Soya milk
Innocent fruit juices
Butter 🧈
Kefir

Frozen croissant 🥐
Quorn nuggets
Peas
Sweetcorn
Cauliflower hash browns
Cauliflower

Peanut butter
100% fruit spread
Bagels
Granary bread
Fevertree Tonic waters
Walkers sensations crisps
Nakd bars
Tinned pulses

Reactions: 1
Typically
mini chicken fillets (3 meals)
2 of sausages/mince/braised steak/Chicken meatballs/Salmon
sliced chorizo
Sliced ham
chestnut mushrooms x 2
3 colourful peppers
spinach
sweet potato
red cabbage
green beans
maris piper pots
frozen peas
Galia melon
Canteloupe
pineapple
pack of kiwis
bananas
pears
pink lady apples (Son insists)
blueberries when cheapish
soft fruit if in season
ball of mozzarella
strong cheddar
Greek yogurt
Full fat milk (8 pts)
Butter (every 2 to 3 weeks)
Penne pasta
Orzo
T bags (once a month)
Granary Bread
2 packs of baguettes
2 cans of soup
kidney beans in chilli
2 cans chopped toms
chickpeas
any spices that need replenshing

• Heart
Hi all. 👋 This thread was really interesting to read through! I shop mostly at Aldi and Lidl. Morrisons if I really have to, usually if I need loose veg. When I moved in with my partner a year ago I was spending maybe £40 a week. Now it’s £50-60. Whether that’s me being lax or prices going up I’m not sure. Probably a bit of both. That’s for groceries and household essentials. No alcohol or soft drinks.

I used to input everything into a spreadsheet item by item but it wasn’t sustainable for me to do that over and over again. Does anyone have a recommendation of keeping track of spending? My banking app is not very intuitive. I can add photos of receipts but I don’t shop all in one go as I can’t freeze anything.

Does anyone have a recommendation of keeping track of spending? My banking app is not very intuitive. I can add photos of receipts but I don’t shop all in one go as I can’t freeze anything.
We use an excel spread sheet for totals only. I have 3 supermarkets I go between plus milk man/ last min shop runs if we need anything. Do it on Friday that’s food shop day and have a glance over the last week to see if there was other spending.
been doing it for about 2 years

My essentials;
Bread, weetabix, carrots, white and sweet potatoes, courgette, tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, apples, (grapes and strawberries in summer), hummus, cheese, oat milk, semi skimmed milk, coffee, tinned soup, tinned tomatoes, black beans, lentils, eggs, noodles, pasta, crisps, usually some kind of vegetarian 'freezer' food.

Think that's it. Currently spending about £50 a week between two adults. Husband has a lot of health problems and probably eats less then the 'average' bloke. Was usually under £40 pre-pandemic.
---
Hi all. 👋 This thread was really interesting to read through! I shop mostly at Aldi and Lidl. Morrisons if I really have to, usually if I need loose veg. When I moved in with my partner a year ago I was spending maybe £40 a week. Now it’s £50-60. Whether that’s me being lax or prices going up I’m not sure. Probably a bit of both. That’s for groceries and household essentials. No alcohol or soft drinks.

I used to input everything into a spreadsheet item by item but it wasn’t sustainable for me to do that over and over again. Does anyone have a recommendation of keeping track of spending? My banking app is not very intuitive. I can add photos of receipts but I don’t shop all in one go as I can’t freeze anything.
Can you just keep a spreadsheet of how much you spend. Literally just the date and the total cost. Keep your receipts and then if it looks like you have spent more one week/month check back at the receipts and see if there's a reason.

Staples for us are:
Bread
Wraps
Blue milk
Green milk
Smoothies x2
Apple juice or orange juice
Lemonade
Cheese
Apples
Bananas
Pears
Blueberries
Grapes
Potatoes
Tomato and chicken soup
Posh soup for grown up lunches
Yoghurts and custard pots
Sausages
Eggs
Beans
Kid tit for the freezer, something always needs topping up. Nuggets, fishfingers etc
Mince
Chicken
Lettuce, tomato, cucumber
Some kind of cereal. We have 3 different cereals and one always needs topping up
Coffee and coffee pods
Cat and dog food
Nappies

Then I meal plan for the rest of our meals and lunches for when we're at home.

The marshmallow bites from Aldi are becoming a staple. I could eat the whole tub!

Reactions: 3
Me, the OH and 2x kids - about £60-£65 a week in Asda. That includes any cleaning/laundry items. I meal plan and budget, plus click and collect so if certain items can wait a week I’ll grab it then. I do do the odd little top up in local Lidl if I run out of bread/milk etc, and every ow and again after payday I like to do a big snack shop for £20-£30 with their own brand stuff to top the cupboards up.

About £80 a week at Lidl or Aldi. Used to be about £55 I swear😿

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We’re rural so can get eggs, meat, chicken locally in bulk for the freezer which is more £s than supermarket, less than butcher, great quality and reared happily and locally, though we eat meat only maybe once a week. Otherwise we grow about half our own veg and salad, soft fruit, and spend about £60 a week for the two of us - we like nice cheese, good coffee, good bread. Make everything from scratch inc loads of soup - cheap, nice, good to freeze. And I bake teatime treats. But that’s since we early retired and have time to shop and cook. When I was working full time, it was at least £130 in M&S, everyday stuff from Sainsburys and loads of wine, and that was before prices went up. Am surprised so many people waste loads on bottled water. We have a water filter and keep it in the fridge - plastic bottles have nasty chemicals. Things might get a bit more spendy now I’m back to work part-time (got bored!).

I’ve been saving the majority of my receipts so I can add up exactly how much I’m spending and on what items. Over the past 4 weeks I’ve spent just over £500 for me, 2 young adult kids, teenage boy, 8 year old and 3 cats. Really need to cut back cos I just can’t afford to spend that much. That’s 1/3 of my current monthly income 😢

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
About £70 a week on average for me and my son. I could spend less, but I eat quite a lot of convenience foods and ready meals because I’m busy and hate cooking from scratch.

• Heart
Been sending my partner to Aldi with a list. He only gets what is on the list and saving us about a tenner a week. He doesn't browse like I do and think oooh let's try that 😂
Comes back with marshmallow bites though so he's a keeper

• Haha