How much do you spend on food per week?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Try to spend £30 pw it's just me and I go to aldi if I need toiletries/cleaning stuff I'll let myself go over by a fiver or so :)

Reactions: 1
Me and my fruit loving 3 year old daughter plus 2 dogs, 46 guinea pigs and 3 chickens. Budget doesn’t include animals normal food but the veggies and treats they have. It also includes household so toilet rolls and cleaning products. I hoped to spend £250 on jan but ended up spending £356 😳 I don’t get takeaways, alcohol or meat it’s crazy I’ve got to do better as can’t afford to be spending that! I did buy 40 kitchen rolls, 124 fairy pods and 5litres of fairy conditioner so that obv is far more than a months worth but I went to shop today and spent £78 again feel like I got nothing!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
For me, hubby a 5yo and a 14mo amd 2 cats I spend about £100 a week. I usually do a bigger shop after payday about £130 and get meat and things and freeze it then use it throughout the month. We don't eat meat everyday more like 2 times a week. But I would say even after spending all that I probably do at least one top up shop a week which comes to about £30 😫

I need to get better at using everything that I have in my two currently very full freezers. We could probably have dinners for a month just out of them!

For me, hubby a 5yo and a 14mo amd 2 cats I spend about £100 a week. I usually do a bigger shop after payday about £130 and get meat and things and freeze it then use it throughout the month. We don't eat meat everyday more like 2 times a week. But I would say even after spending all that I probably do at least one top up shop a week which comes to about £30 😫

I need to get better at using everything that I have in my two currently very full freezers. We could probably have dinners for a month just out of them!
i love a little use everything you already have week. We did it recently and only spent £12

Reactions: 3
Because I keep financial records on an app I can share where we’ve spent on food this year.

January 2023 (groceries + weekly flowers)
£54.43 : 03.01.23
£52.06 : 08.01.23
£40.00 : 13.01.23 (toilet roll stock)
£35.00 : 13.01.23 (bottled water stock)
£103.58 : 14.01.23
£1.24 : 14.01.23
£59.98 : 21.01.23
£83.56 : 28.01.23
£49.25 : 30.01.23 (coffee stock)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
2 adults no kids. We try to aim for about £60 a week but recently it's been closer to £80 plus takeaways and eating out

Reactions: 3
Me, husband and toddler son (who mainly gets fed at nursery).

Just food: £40-45 pw
Laundry/cleaning: buy in bulk so works out as £10 per month
Toilet paper: Who Gives A Crap in bulk, so £5 ish per month.

We’re pretty frugal, I like meal planning & shopping based on what’s in our cupboards. I try to cook no more than 3 meat based meals a week. We normally have 1 lunch out a week, which comes to about £20, plus a takeaway about once a month.

Reactions: 2
2 adults 1 cat 0 kids

Usually between £40-£60 a week plus one takeaway a week and usually 1-2 meals out a month.

I have a takeaway probably no more than twice a year but I do like doing a fake away on a Friday laundry I buy in bulk and again as its just me it lasts 7/8 months 120 fairy pods from tesco £22 big lenor for a fiver i rarely eat out anymore thanks to this col that's had to mostly stop plus I'm trying to watch what I eat as I have pcos and on birth control and take a Antipcycotic and I'm 5ft 2 and the extra weight I'm carrying really really shows do a 'big freezer refill and cupboard refill' 3 times a year which I think is good going

Last edited:
  • Heart
I live alone. Spend between £30-35 a week on food usually. I haven't been watching what I've been spending though until last week when this question was originally posted on our thread.

• Heart
Are you surprised by what you spend (either good or bad)
I don't think I'm really surprised. I do spend more on my sister when I have done an online shop for her. I could spend lower if I tried and actually stopped buying so many single kitkats . I know they are more expensive then the multipacks, but I don't trust myself to just eat all four in one go. :ROFLMAO: (I've actually only bought one kitkat this week.)

I don't like eating breakfast so skip that. I don't buy fresh meat only fish. I don't usually buy berries only go for granny smith apples, oranges and bananas. I don't drink coke or fruit juices only milk and water. I go through phases where I will eat the same thing over and over again too eg I've just done baked potatoes with salad for dinner for more than 3 days in a row now. It's also the coffee that adds up for me. £1.65 is the cheapest option for the non franchised cafe I go to. Some things can be used for the next week too. The apples + 3 oranges left in my fridge are from the previous week. I don't have a car so only buy what I can carry and shop more frequently.

• Heart
Just me and my husband … the 3 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 alpacas 🦙 and 2 sheep are extra apart from rabbits greens which I buy from the farm shop with our vegetables.

We spend about £140 per week. A mix of M&S, Sainsbury and local farm shop/bakery/deli.

We also do a big stock up at the Asian Supermarket every other month. Today that cost us £74.

I think it also depends where you shop. If I do a food shop in Aldi I can obviously get more for £25 than say Sainsburys/Asda.

There’s me and my boyfriend included in the shopping.
This week has been a weird one because by the end of it we’ll have been out for 2 meals we haven’t had to pay for and I’ve been out for an extra meal with my mate.
£47 Waitrose big shop inc delivery
£17 my meal out yesterday
£10 estimate today cos we’re going to ikea 🤣
£74 total

we’ve just done next weeks big shop to be delivered on Monday and it’s come to £62.71 inc delivery, only allowing for one meal out on Saturday night. That also includes 2 boxes of cereal for some reason and a couple of multipacks of crisps so not things we’d buy all the time.

Were thinking of popping to Costco later today and getting Pepsi max cans and washing pods because it works out cheaper but I haven’t included them

Me an my parents are usually between £60 an £80 a week, I do all the meals so try an get money's worth by making meals where leftovers can be used for lunch etc an I'll make my own sauces an marinates to cut down on buying those, as well as buying the bigger packs of meat that can be split into different meals