How much do you earn?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got a raise since the last time I posted here! I still work in tech, on the product design side of things.

I now get €42,000 (plus a yearly bonus in December). I wanted more in my salary negotiation but the "budget just isn't there", so I used that as leverage to renegotiate my contract in terms of working from home. I used to have to get 2 buses (one way) to commute into the office, and it was always stressful as duck (not to mention expensive!). I now got sign off that if we do return to the office, I can remain at home for a minimum of 4 out of 5 days.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I earn £73k per annum. I now have £3 left in my bank account. So living off my credit card for the rest of the month. This is due to paying a huge amount to my ex who does not work. Everyone has different circumstances.

I am about to be made redundant, so I guess his gravy train will now end and he will have to go and get a job.
This is the first time I have seen a woman having to pay for a man.

Reactions: 5
When I was married my husband was made redundant and I kept us both for 12months, paid the mortgage/bills etc

Reactions: 3
It blows my mind that there are people who earn that much (no jealousy, you have an amazing wage!)

When I think of our annual income £27000, I can only imagine what kind of life we could have with 5 times that amount 👍 we’d have so much ‘spare’ money!
I tend to find the more you have, the more you want... your lifestyle just seems to increase with your salary and you find yourself no better off at the end of the month. This was certainly true for me until I met my now husband who likes to rein me in a little when it comes to frivolous spending.

I probably had more spare money when I was on £13.5k rather than the £45k I get now.

Reactions: 14
I tend to find the more you have, the more you want... your lifestyle just seems to increase with your salary and you find yourself no better off at the end of the month. This was certainly true for me until I met my now husband who likes to rein me in a little when it comes to frivolous spending.

I probably had more spare money when I was on £13.5k rather than the £45k I get now.
I completely agree with this. I grew up with a comfortable lifestyle but, my mum didn’t earn insane amounts of money. She worked hard and budgeted well. When I was 17 I started seeing a boy who’s father earned £750k a year. They lived in an old converted chapel that the mum was forever doing up. When he turned 18 he got a brand new golf and his university fees paid for. But, they never went on any holidays or had much in savings as everything the father earned went into the house or lifestyle. I remember my ex saying that they weren’t better off just because they were rich as their lifestyle was more expensive.

I run my own property company so a lot of my income goes into reinvestments. I aim to earn at least £100k each year.

Reactions: 6
I earn £383 a week... :) still in my overdraft can’t seem to escape it! Gahhhh :( all that cat food..

• Heart
  • Haha

I tend to agree with that, but when you've been around a bit it can become a bit of a 'been there, seen it, done it and bought the tee shirt' thing and you slow down the cash hemorrhage; very much depends on the individual.

When I was a PA I often had to manage private diaries as well and I found this to be a completely different challenge.

I once got a call on a Saturday evening because one of my bosses had flew into London and the wifi in his 5* hotel wasn’t working quick enough. Had to arrange a hotel move.

I’m single with no massive commitments still which is one of the reasons I fancied the role again.
Did you get paid for your weekend work or time off in lieu?

I sometimes work weekends but get paid.

I’m a freelance project controls person. Invoiced just under £150k last year. Should be roughly the same this year, all going well. I’ve had a couple of years over the last 20-odd when I’ve invoiced £0 however, so the money I make on good years is stashed for the more lean times.

Reactions: 2
Is that a standard teacher?
I’m in London and have a TLR which is extra responsibilities. Not sure what a standard teacher earns I’ve had TLRs for about 6 years. Think my friend said she takes home about £500 less than me without the TLR (so clears around £2,500)

I absolutely am jealous of these big amounts 😂 People with money say they're 'comfortable', and those without would love to be in the position to just be comfortable. I just dont want to have anxiety about checking my bank account 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 12
i am genuinely shocked at how people can live on the minimum wage in the U.K.

Are you a student or living at home?

This isn't bad pay for some sectors (minimum wage is about £8.80 ? ) . My mate is on similar in London working for care home. It is shocking employers get away with paying the wages they do.

Where you live and what you earn are important factors. If your a nurse earning £30k and living in a major city paying £800-£1000 rent thats not good money. Other parts of the country like here in the Welsh valleys its not bad given you can buy a starter home for between £80-£120k with mortgage repayments of @£500. I'd hate to be young and living somewhere like London these days.

I’m a back to work mature mum... I’m a PA and earn £23k in south of England 40 hours a week ... I work from home so don’t need to travel.. when I do go back my office is 15 mins away from home

Reactions: 1
Did you get paid for your weekend work or time off in lieu?

I sometimes work weekends but get paid.

I’m a freelance project controls person. Invoiced just under £150k last year. Should be roughly the same this year, all going well. I’ve had a couple of years over the last 20-odd when I’ve invoiced £0 however, so the money I make on good years is stashed for the more lean times.
Nope never got paid overtime. Used to work from 8.30-8.30 as well. Total mug I was and eventually just burnt out.

Gosh I wish I was earning what you are. How did is you get into it? What training did you do etc?

£28k in NW England at 23 (no uni, straight into work at 16). Work in tech so it could keep going up, but I reckon my glass ceiling is 35k in my particular role unless I side step and learn new skills/get a different type of role.

Nope never got paid overtime. Used to work from 8.30-8.30 as well. Total mug I was and eventually just burnt out.

Gosh I wish I was earning what you are. How did is you get into it? What training did you do etc?
I’ve been doing this for over 25 years, started as trainee scheduler on a large project. I pretty much learned on the job, and did every software course they’d send me on. I went freelance about 20 years ago and have 3 clients currently. I’m known to them though, I’ve never had to market myself (thankfully I’d be tit at that).

The figure I quoted seems very high but it’s not guaranteed and I have a lot to pay out before I see any of it in taxes and expenses. I think an equivalent salaried role would pay about £70k a year, though no clue about that really.

Just started a band 5 position for the NHS so just over 25k a year rising to almost 32k when I reach the top of my pay band. Increase from the band 3 position I worked for a few months before getting this job, I earned £39k a year previously in the oil and gas industry. Made redundant last year mid pandemic.

I think going from earning more to less makes you realise what you waste money on and I'm loads better at managing it now and putting into savings even though I'm on less than I was previously... although lockdown means I've less to spend it on for now.
Just as well you qualified now and not having to do the 7 years to top bracket like we all had to

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.