How much do you earn?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm a senior HR consultant, based in London. I'm 35 and I earn close to £60k, excluding quarterly bonuses.

Chuffed to bits about my salary, as 5 years ago I was on £26k!

No kids, and apart from our mortgage we don't have any significant expenses (like a car), so feel like I should be extremely comfortable. However, I stupidly ran up £11k debt on my credit card, for which I have nothing to show for (see Debt thread), so I'm sticking to an extremely strict budget until I pay it off.

Reactions: 8
£21,000 year basic salary plus £3,500 on top for working shifts and weekends (1 in every six) - forensic scientist in the Midlands.

Honestly it’s not nearly enough for the work that we do and that is pretty much the max that I will ever get in this job, barring small pay increases each year, which is pants considering I capped out this salary in January 2016.

Add to that the fact that I’m fully trained, I am experienced in the job and I train people and I am seriously considering looking for another job with better wages!

ETA: my take home is just under £1600 per month when I factor in pension/tax/buying annual leave.
Bloody hell !!! Can you afford to move ? A senior forensic scientist in Ireland would be on minimum 42'000 euro! Thats awful.

What about working in something like bio chem ? Would the wages be better??? Jaysus I can't believe that. My friend is a forensic scientist and she's on 28'000 starting off !!

I'm a senior HR consultant, based in London. I'm 35 and I earn close to £60k, excluding quarterly bonuses.

Chuffed to bits about my salary, as 5 years ago I was on £26k!

No kids, and apart from our mortgage we don't have any significant expenses (like a car), so feel like I should be extremely comfortable. However, I stupidly ran up £11k debt on my credit card, for which I have nothing to show for (see Debt thread), so I'm sticking to an extremely strict budget until I pay it off.
Wow fair play with the 5 year progress. I'm a HC worker but one of my brothers is in HR. How did you get the increase? Masters ?

Reactions: 1
Wow fair play with the 5 year progress. I'm a HC worker but one of my brothers is in HR. How did you get the increase? Masters ?
I was headhunted because of the weird and specific combination of language that I speak, which my company needed (we're an international consultancy). I wasn't looking to switch jobs and was quite happy at the company that I worked for at the time. My company was so persistent in trying to persuade me to join them, I smelled their desperation and was cheeky about about my requirements to join them. 🙊 They agreed to everything that I asked for on the spot, with no counter offer.

I do have a Masters degree, speak a few languages, and have good experience in a niche field - but honestly, I really think that I just had a lucky break. There are lots of hard-working-class and talented people struggling in life, who just haven't been given a chance.

Reactions: 10
I work as a homeless support manager for the council and I earn 30k for 37 hours per week (one day at home and four in the office)

Reactions: 7
I’m 41 and live in the US. I started as a nurse working in pediatric oncology (starting salary $45,000) Now director of infusion and earn $118,000 (before taxes)
From reading on here I cannot believe how little nurses seem to be paid in the U.K.! It’s so disheartening to see this.

Reactions: 13
I’m 41 and live in the US. I started as a nurse working in pediatric oncology (starting salary $45,000) Now director of infusion and earn $118,000 (before taxes)
From reading on here I cannot believe how little nurses seem to be paid in the U.K.! It’s so disheartening to see this.
Ah yes, sadly true. I’ve had the reverse experience. My boyfriend is American and one of his good friends over there is a nurse. He casually told me about their decent pay, 40k starting salary as you say (about £30k) and, sad to say, I was shocked..
It is one element of the American private healthcare system that definitely works out well. And one element of the NHS that is a total travesty.
Nurses pay is actually quite a commonly cited controversial issue. You’ll always hear it compared unfavourably to what a footballer earns in a week, or a bankers bonus or something. It’s like a touchstone for inequality in our society and everyone agrees they deserve much more for what they do.

Nothing ever seems to be changing tho.
Boris Johnson promised us 350 million more a WEEK to spend on the nhs if we left the EU. If that was true that would be a real silver lining to the whole thing and would solve so many problems including that one. It’s not though sorry , tangent.

Reactions: 3
Ah yes, sadly true. I’ve had the reverse experience. My boyfriend is American and he of his friends over there is a nurse. He told me how nurses get decent pay, 40k starting salary as you say (about £30k) and, sad to say, I was shocked about that.
It is one element of the American private healthcare system that works out well. And one element of the NHS that is a total travesty.
Nurses pay is actually quite a commonly cited controversial issue. You’ll always hear it compared unfavourably to what a footballer earns in a week, or a bankers bonus or something. It’s like a touchstone for inequality in our society and everyone agrees they deserve much more for what they do.

Nothing ever seems to be changing.
Boris Johnson promised us 350 million more a WEEK to spend on the nhs is we left the EU. If that was true that would be a real silver lining to the whole thing and would solve so many problems including that one. It’s not though sorry , tangent.
That is sad! It’s actually despicable that they are so underpaid! Things definitely need to change. The work is hard, way too often heartbreaking and to not be appreciated must be awful. I just cannot fathom the wages there. How can they even try to justify it?
And that was my starting salary 20yrs ago! Nowadays with a normal BSN (4 year degree) you start low-mid 50’s. But even with a RN degree (2yrs) you start in the 40’s.
Haha that’s the ONLY good thing about our system here honestly. That people here die bc they cannot get care.. that is unacceptable.

Ah yes, sadly true. I’ve had the reverse experience. My boyfriend is American and one of his good friends over there is a nurse. He casually told me about their decent pay, 40k starting salary as you say (about £30k) and, sad to say, I was shocked..
It is one element of the American private healthcare system that definitely works out well. And one element of the NHS that is a total travesty.

Nothing ever seems to be changing tho.
Boris Johnson promised us 350 million more a WEEK to spend on the nhs if we left the EU. If that was true that would be a real silver lining to the whole thing and would solve so many problems including that one. It’s not though sorry , tangent.
My husband is an A&E consultant in London, he’s recently been offered a position in the States and his base salary is 3 times as much as he is paid here.

• Wow
Junior accountant 20k a year but once I’m fully qualified it will be like 35k starting salary

Reactions: 2
The reason why US nurses get paid a higher wage is because it’s private healthcare... over here it’s public healthcare....

I was headhunted because of the weird and specific combination of language that I speak, which my company needed (we're an international consultancy). I wasn't looking to switch jobs and was quite happy at the company that I worked for at the time. My company was so persistent in trying to persuade me to join them, I smelled their desperation and was cheeky about about my requirements to join them. 🙊 They agreed to everything that I asked for on the spot, with no counter offer.

I do have a Masters degree, speak a few languages, and have good experience in a niche field - but honestly, I really think that I just had a lucky break. There are lots of hard-working-class and talented people struggling in life, who just haven't been given a chance.
Good for you ! We should all be demanding what we deserve!

• Heart
I’ve not seen that. I work for a private healthcare company, and staff nurses are paid £30k
That’s still way below what we make in the States. That’s sad, should be much higher. And our private insurance doesn’t have to do with our salary. There are state hospitals and private hospitals, and the average is about the same. A starting salary for either (w a 4 yr degree) at a hospital is in the low to mid 50’s
The nurses I hire, for my team, start at that minimum and my top nurse (experience wise) makes over $70k. Our hospital is not private but a state run University hospital

• Wow
Not a lot. I own a spray tan business but it’s only really pocket money. I’m a stay at home mum, my husband earns a very good wage which enables me to stay at home looking after my little ones.

Reactions: 5
That’s still way below what we make in the States. That’s sad, should be much higher. And our private insurance doesn’t have to do with our salary. There are state hospitals and private hospitals, and the average is about the same. A starting salary for either (w a 4 yr degree) at a hospital is in the low to mid 50’s
The nurses I hire, for my team, start at that minimum and my top nurse (experience wise) makes over $70k. Our hospital is not private but a state run University hospital
70USD is so high. Thats what we're on as registrars here !

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.