How many languages do you speak?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree with this but it can be difficult for a lot of people to up and leave for another country.

I studied languages at university but I've kept on studying Spanish and German after I finished my degree. I use netflix to watch shows in the languages, Duolingo if I want something quick and easy for ten minutes and also have a lot of books that I use for grammar and activities.

Sites like italki are great for buying language lessons too. Nothing is better than an hour of practising the language and just speaking whilst getting corrections, even if you're at beginner level.
Absolutely. Language lessons, especially, one on one are definitely worth investing in. Then using Apps such as Duolingo as backup. I have been working on my Swedish for 25 years, still haven't completely mastered it, then again do you stop learning with languages including your primary? 😊

Reactions: 1
I wish I could speak another language. I've done French and Spanish at school, although I understand written, rather than spoken . I have a vocabulary but I can't think fast enough to translate what I want to say and put it into a sentence with correct grammar .

I also did a bit Latin.

Finnish as it's my language, and English. But I can get by little bit with Swedish and Spanish.

I've also studied German, Russian, French and Italian.

Fluent in Glaswegian 🤪 English and Greek, and can get by in Spain.
How did you get fluent in Greek ? Any tips ?

French was my 2nd language in school in my home country, then in year 5 we moved abroad and i had to learn English (i was soo bad, couldn't understand the different accents etc..)

I started to get the courage to present in school in English in like year 8 😂 by that time i had forgotten whatever French i knew.

Then in lockdown I decided to work on my French just for fun and it has been nice really to feel like I'm achieving something.

One language i wish to learn some day is Greek😭
I’ve been trying to learn Greek for years. I’m useless 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely. Language lessons, especially, one on one are definitely worth investing in. Then using Apps such as Duolingo as backup. I have been working on my Swedish for 25 years, still haven't completely mastered it, then again do you stop learning with languages including your primary? 😊
Yes I agree. I still learn new words in English that I've never head or seen before. I find language learning really interesting.

Reactions: 2
Native English, I'm not fluent but can have a conversation in Irish (Gaeilge) and French. For French you have to speak slowly for me to totally get what you're saying.
I did Irish and French in school and French in university.

Just the one 😭 I wish I could speak more languages. I do have basic knowledge in french from doing a GCSE in it so can always ask for food or directions lol

Random but it would be interesting to know how you learned the languages you speak as some of the combinations seem quite random? To begin I had a South American friend in primary school and was always desperate to learn and finally had the chance at high school, I then have spent lots of time in Spain and then picked up italian as a second language at uni but mainly learned when I moved there (easy to pick up because of spanish )
School is where I remember most of my Del Boy French. It came in handy when I would sometimes spend up to a month at a time in Marrakech. They speak a combination of French and Arabic there, which is where I picked up basic Arabic. I also grew up in a very multicultural area, I was the only white English child in my class at school, so learnt many Arabic and Hindi/Urdu phrases - usually insults and swears because alot of the teachers wouldnt understand what you have just called them 🤣. My next door neighbour growing up was an old Jamaican woman and loved learning her patois 'proverbs' - they're brilliant!

• Haha
I think it's down to need and accessibility. Most effective way to learn another language is living in that country for a least a year, combined with study. Or having a parent: that has another mother tongue in the county they live in.
i would also recommend conversationexchnage.com to find a partnerto exchange languages

Marry a Greek, live there and watch American soap operas on tv with Greek subtitles 😁
LOL I do live in Greece and watch American shows and series with sub titles, but I just can’t get to grips with it. I might be too old to learn ☹

LOL I do live in Greece and watch American shows and series with sub titles, but I just can’t get to grips with it. I might be too old to learn ☹
I lived on Cyprus back in the 80s and Cypriot TV was not good LOL news was in Greek then in English and followed by Murder She Wrote or Bonanza, no wonder the pirate movie business was booming at that time :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm fluent in English and Spanish, but I am a grammar/language/etymology geek and would love to learn more. Having 4 kids put it all on the back-burner.

I would love to be able to speak another language. How do you all do it? School/self taught?
I did very basic Spanish at school but always had a love for languages. As a child I was very interested in looking at foreign words and how they fitted together/resembled ours. As a working adult, I just bought a load of books, did evening classes and eventually paid to attend a language academy in Madrid for 3 months.

It must have worked because I applied for a job at the British Consulate in Madrid and got it (interview was bilingual) and all of the other interviewees were very posh/Oxbridge educated. I am so far away from either of those things but I put in a massive amount of time, effort and expense to learn Spanish simply because I loved the language.

Languages are not for everyone, but I think if you have either a strong desire to learn, or an absolute need to learn for whatever reason, you will succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I speak 3 languages but can understand 4. It was an absolute pain in the ass learning the other 2 languages but as they're spoken by my grandparents, I decided to learn at the ripe age of 19. Its funny because I can understand all 4 languages fluently and had been surrounded by them my whole life but ask me to put together a sentence and I'm either a stuttering mess or completely blank. Thankfully, I've overcome that now!

I have a degree in French and German. I’ve had to pick up Spanish along the way as German is no longer very popular in teaching so I speak conversational Spanish as well.

English and Fluent French (cos I live in France)
Can manage a bit of Italian with the help of Google translate for the harder vocab!

English and American English - trust me, you must learn many different words for things to get by living/working in the US and not have people looking at you like you’ve just been beamed down from space when you ask for a plaster (bandaid) or if there is any coriander (cilantro) 😂

Wouldn’t say 100% fluent yet but getting there with the Spanish. Learnt at school, then went there last year and came back frustrated with my limitations so have been having weekly online lessons since 😊