How many languages do you speak?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m native English and fluent in spanish and italian, I can understand bits of Portuguese and french as a result but I’d love to learn German

Random but it would be interesting to know how you learned the languages you speak as some of the combinations seem quite random? To begin I had a South American friend in primary school and was always desperate to learn and finally had the chance at high school, I then have spent lots of time in Spain and then picked up italian as a second language at uni but mainly learned when I moved there (easy to pick up because of spanish )

Deux. French and English. I had a Danish friend and her English was amazing. She also spoke Swedish and German. She said it was easy for Danes to speak Swedish and vice versa.

Reactions: 2
French was my 2nd language in school in my home country, then in year 5 we moved abroad and i had to learn English (i was soo bad, couldn't understand the different accents etc..)

I started to get the courage to present in school in English in like year 8 😂 by that time i had forgotten whatever French i knew.

Then in lockdown I decided to work on my French just for fun and it has been nice really to feel like I'm achieving something.

One language i wish to learn some day is Greek😭

Random but it would be interesting to know how you learned the languages you speak as some of the combinations seem quite random? To begin I had a South American friend in primary school and was always desperate to learn and finally had the chance at high school, I then have spent lots of time in Spain and then picked up italian as a second language at uni but mainly learned when I moved there (easy to pick up because of spanish )
One of my ex's was French I had a friend who spoke punjabi and I learnt a bit of Spanish through those learning cds.

Reactions: 1
English, French (cheat because my mother was French) Spanish and Italian.
Would love another one.

I'm native English but fluent in Spanish and French also. I can read well in Italian and speak it at basic conversational level. I know very basic Czech too. Desperate to learn mandarin...it was supposed to be my lockdown project 🙄

Apps like duolingo are really good, but the best way I learnt a language which wasn’t spoke at home was through television programmes on Netflix and music x

I speak English and fluent Welsh. Know small bits of French and spanish. Fluent in Australian lingo too:LOL::ROFLMAO:
My mum is welsh (used to speak it at school now remembers very little) any resources to learn that you know?? Side note but To improve the Australian I’d recommend We can be heroes and summer heights high (high from chris Lilley) 😂

• Haha
I would love to be able to speak another language. How do you all do it? School/self taught?
I think it's down to need and accessibility. Most effective way to learn another language is living in that country for a least a year, combined with study. Or having a parent: that has another mother tongue in the county they live in.

Reactions: 7
I think it's down to need and accessibility. Most effective way to learn another language is living in that country for a least a year, combined with study. Or having a parent: that has another mother tongue in the county they live in.
I agree with this but it can be difficult for a lot of people to up and leave for another country.

I studied languages at university but I've kept on studying Spanish and German after I finished my degree. I use netflix to watch shows in the languages, Duolingo if I want something quick and easy for ten minutes and also have a lot of books that I use for grammar and activities.

Sites like italki are great for buying language lessons too. Nothing is better than an hour of practising the language and just speaking whilst getting corrections, even if you're at beginner level.