How many languages do you speak?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just english :( I would love to be fluent in others, but I don't have the time or patience to learn

Reactions: 1
English, Spanish, French (conversational) and can get by in Arabic but can't read it. I'd love to learn more.

6 although only 2 fluently. I can have conversations in the other 4 and enough to get by in the country but nowhere near fluent.

Very very few are trully fluent in a language but I can chat in German, French and Italian, some Spanish and Greek but none at a real deep conversational level...I get by.

Being a radio ham helps, I get to practise on euro hams. My 12 year old grandson is learning Russian from his best mate at school which is nice to see.

Buona fortuna :)

Reactions: 2
Fluent in English, French, Turkish, and studying Arabic - I think languages are so important and wish they’d put more of an emphasis on it at school

Reactions: 7
English is my first language, Swedish my second. As both are germanic languages, it's nothing to boast about. I'm in awe of people that can master different languages outside of their language branches.

Reactions: 3
English and French.. definitely not fluent In French yet though. I wish languages were as compulsory in UK education system as core subjects, it’s such a great skill to have.

Reactions: 3
English is my first language, Swedish my second. As both are germanic languages, it's nothing to boast about. I'm in awe of people that can master different languages outside of their language branches.
I definitely think it is something to boast about even if they have the same roots. It's still two different languages that you can communicate in and now the cultural nuances of. There's more to a language than just words on a paper! Please boast about it you deserve to

Reactions: 6
I know a little Finnish and Japanese. Finnish I learnt by doing 2x two week courses whilst on holiday (the lessons were only 8:30 - 12:30 so the afternoon was free) and Japanese at an evening class run by the council. I'd really recommend evening classes once lockdown is over, it's good fun and really breaks up the week. I'm also doing both languages on duolingo to try and keep it fresh - 537 day streak! :)

Reactions: 4
Before I went on a trip to Spain 2 years ago I did some duolingo, believed I knew enough Spanish.

Then went to the shops and started asking them "Quanto" in the best Spanish accent I could make and stood speechless when the man answered me in Spanish. Understood nothing 😂

Was definitely a beautiful language tho and resembles French a little bit?

I know a little Finnish and Japanese. Finnish I learnt by doing 2x two week courses whilst on holiday (the lessons were only 8:30 - 12:30 so the afternoon was free) and Japanese at an evening class run by the council. I'd really recommend evening classes once lockdown is over, it's good fun and really breaks up the week. I'm also doing both languages on duolingo to try and keep it fresh - 537 day streak! :)
I had a friend who was learning Japanese and she told me how they taught them about Japanese traditions as well. Definitely interesting 👌

• Haha
Before I went on a trip to Spain 2 years ago I did some duolingo, believed I knew enough Spanish.

Then went to the shops and started asking them "Quanto" in the best Spanish accent I could make and stood speechless when the man answered me in Spanish. Understood nothing 😂

Was definitely a beautiful language tho and resembles French a little bit?

Problem with learning Spanish is there are massive regional differences in the spoken word out there. We took American friends to Spain where we have a holiday home and the wife speaks Spanish...Mexican Spanish and had a heck of a job being understood over there. Many years ago, an army mate of mine was in Paris, walked into a bar and ordered a drink (in French) and the barman replied in English "I went to university in Birmingham, which part are you from"...talk about a knock down lol

I had a friend who was learning Japanese and she told me how they taught them about Japanese traditions as well. Definitely interesting 👌

• Haha
I definitely think it is something to boast about even if they have the same roots. It's still two different languages that you can communicate in and now the cultural nuances of. There's more to a language than just words on a paper! Please boast about it you deserve to
Thank you. I'm British but live in Sweden, so I had to learn Swedish. If I had stayed in the UK, I doubt if I would become fluent in another language. It is such a shame we are not taught a second language properly.

I would love to be fluent in another language but I'm not.

I know my basic DelBoy French from high school and learnt a few Hindi phrases, I can understand basic Arabic when spoken to. And Jamaican patois, dont speak it but fully understand it and I love the way it uses words!