How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Amazing, well done. How did you get into running? Any tips?
I did Couch to 5K. Downloaded the app and just started at week one, run one.

I started running when I was 245lbs and my fitness level was terrible. The first "run" is a brisk 5 mins walk to warm up then jog for 60s, walk for 90s, jog for 60s etc for eight turns then brisk 5 min walk to cool down. I was dying after jogging for 60s but I did it then did it again twice more that week. The program builds up your stamina gradually until, in week 9, you are running for 30 mins solid. I still can't run 5km in 30 mins but I now run several times a week and 5km is the shortest distance I'll run. Last week I did a long run that lasted an hour and covered 8km.

I also watched a few YT videos from The Running Channel and The Run Experience on proper running techniques and beginner's tips. I found these very useful.

I would recommend a good pair of running shoes from the very beginning. I also required a good sports bra, anti-blister socks and some seamless running pants after a couple of weeks. Rest days are really important as well - you might end up with DOMS or shin splints (I did!) and they go away after a day of rest.

Completely forgot to say, I weighed in yesterday and I've lost 2.125lbs since last Sunday. I'm 177 5/8 lbs. I cheated a bit and weighed myself on Thursday so that's why in my previous post, I was the same weight!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Talking of rain it’s been quite crappy down south lately but I have been LOVING it. It’s encouraged me to get out walking more 😂 weird I know. I live five minutes from the beach and walking along the stones in the drizzle when it’s a bit windy and gloomy is just so peaceful. It’s encouraging me to get out walking more. I don’t particularly like going for a walk when it’s super hot and busy.

Totally agree with the walking thing. My doctor even said that walking for at least 1 hour each day is better than going the gym 2 times a week. I’ve always been a big walker and it’s been the most helpful thing in managing my weight. When walking consistently for an hour a day stops, the weight piles on.

I did the couch to 5k app at the beginning of lockdown and it’s brilliant! I have NEVER been able to run and completing the program was the biggest self esteem boost. I achieved something I literally thought was impossible.

from a food point of view I know it’s not for everyone but intermittent fasting works for me. I use an app called Zero to track. I am an emotional eater and used to have an eating disorder, so the only thing that works for me and stops me losing control is having pre-set “eating windows”. I am quite strict and fast for 20 hours a day in the week, and 16 at the weekend. My friend does much shorter windows and just skips breakfast which works for her. Again, not for everyone.

Reactions: 2
I've put on a bit, swimming is my main activity but swapped it for walking but can't be assed to go for a walk when it's wet and windy

Mine always the same - I’m probably eating a bit less working from home as I’m not surrounded by biscuits all day, but I’m doing significantly less walking so that balances it out! Still managing a decent workout 2/3 x a week, think I’ve definitely managed to put on a bit of muscle tone in my abs which I never had before. My weight is pretty static all the time though, it takes a lot for me to gain/lose anything which is a blessing and a curse.

Reactions: 1
I’ve put on a bit, but that’s actually not a bad thing for me. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease at the end of last year and lost a stone in weight, so I’ve put on a few pounds and it is a much healthier weight for me to be at.

I've put on about 3/4 pounds but as I run 4 to 5 hours a week that shows how much tit I have eaten! Definitely used it as a bit of an excuse to eat crap (kind of like well if I can't do all the things I had planned I will have to replace them with pizza treats instead 😂)

Gained a stone. But lost nearly half now. Would like to get back to my original weight before and if I go back to work. I’m a stress and boredom eater so this whole situation doesn’t help at all.

Reactions: 3
I've put on 4lbs which isn't a big deal. However I'd put on half a stone prior to lockdown. Lol! I've started to eat healthy again, purely to feel energetic and less lethargic.

Mine always the same - I’m probably eating a bit less working from home as I’m not surrounded by biscuits all day, but I’m doing significantly less walking so that balances it out! Still managing a decent workout 2/3 x a week, think I’ve definitely managed to put on a bit of muscle tone in my abs which I never had before. My weight is pretty static all the time though, it takes a lot for me to gain/lose anything which is a blessing and a curse.
I could have almost written that myself. I'm exactly the same weight today as I was at the start of lockdown, and I've pretty much only fluctuated 1lb ish either side all the way through. Not bragging though because I'm 7-10lbs over what I want to get back to... put on a bit over Xmas, was ill a couple of times in winter so the exercise dropped, and went on holiday in Feb. Then bam, lockdown. Been eating less rubbish and less snacking while working from home, but have upped the alcohol a bit during the week as don't have to be up so early, so that has cancelled out any benefits of snacking less.

Exercise wise I always walked a lot and have continued. Cant run at the moment due to tendonitis but not missing it anyway. I also used to lift at the gym and I don't have heavy kit at home, just a couple of kettlebells, so missing the heavy weights but I won't be rushing back to the gym any time soon.

Ive lost weight, I cycle so kept that up (actually increased daily distance) do a lot of walking with the dog which hasnt changed and as the gyms closed I’ve been doing Pilates at home, that the hard one for me, being motivated to do that every day. I am eating so much more during lockdown though

I’ve stayed the same. I’ve got a lot fitter and completed the couch to 5k plan and have been doing daily walks and online fitness classes but I’ve been baking and snacking a lot more than I usually would.

Well, I lost 1lb this week. Did a 6km run yesterday by mistake (was aiming for 5km since I'm recovering from an injury) and I've been more active in general.

I think I've lost, I don't own scales so never weigh myself but I am smaller and fitting into clothes better. I was really anxious at the start which means I hardly ate. Then I've not had the opportunity to buy junk food, hardly go to shops and we haven't had many takeaways. I liked the fact I was getting smaller so it's kept me wanting to lose

I'm 10lbs up. I work out hard 4 times a week, and I average 13,000 steps a day. I just need to eat & drink less!!

I began to lose a bit of weight slowly (about 3 pounds, nothing major) just before lockdown and since then I am back to my start weight. No biggie.

I hit the 2st weight loss mark two weeks ago but seem to have hit a rut since. Just going up or down by 1lb since.
I'm still refusing to calorie count or join slimming world and the like as I don't see the point in paying money to be told stuff which I already know.
Still, my clothes are getting looser through exercise even if my weight is staying more or less the same.
Just a small update, I decided to finish my diet for the year yesterday (and restart in the new year).
I lost 40 lb over the year with light exercise and a reasonable diet - so I'm quite happy with that and going to see if I can do it again next year.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was fine the first few months then from June-Nov put on about 12lb felt terrible but knew it was just greed with cakes etc 😂 cut out all the crap and back to normal for my Christmas indulgences! I always go back to using mfp and make sure I close my exercise ring in watch. Good luck ❤