House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a leasehold house. I have read though that apparently after two years you have the right to buy the lease if you want so least there is that option. But they said it won’t increase so I think should be fine
Just there’s almost always a ground rent charge and a service charge and it would be higher I’d expect. Payment into sinking funds etc just be sure you know who’s responsible for what. They can also put clauses similar to rented like no pets, no sky dishes, can’t run a business from the house etc so just so long as you’ve seen it

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
You have the right to extend the lease after two years, buying the freehold isn’t always the same.

To add, saying they won’t increase the service charge is BS. It depends what the service charge covers but I doubt they will keep it at that rate for 10 years. This is my job so got any questions let me know.
My dads friend used to live on the estate and looked into buying the freehold it was around 5k. He moved a few years ago to a bigger house but it’s still the same price as when he lived there. They told me the newer home leases are the ones that change but as this ones older they said it won’t change. But I guess can still pull out if needed when the solicitor looks at paperwork.

Reactions: 1
I’ve never heard of a leasehold house before this. Please someone educate me.
Just to add if this is the case do your homework and find out who owns the freehold.

Just there’s almost always a ground rent charge and a service charge. Payment into sinking funds etc just be sure you know who’s responsible for what. They can also put clauses like in rented like no pets, no sky dishes, can’t run a business from the house so just so long as you’ve seen it
I’ve asked about pets as I definitely want some pets they said no issues with that. I asked about altering stuff inside as I read online you sometimes have to get permission but they said no issue with it

I’ve never heard of a leasehold house before this. Please someone educate me.
Just to add if this is the case do your homework and find out who owns the freehold.
It’s relatively uncommon but does happen. New builds generally.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
This article on Tony Blair from 2016 popped up, says it pretty well:

On Monday, the Guardian reported that the Blairs now own a £27m property empire containing 37 different properties. They own an £8.5m Georgian townhouse in Connaught Square (that’s more than doubled in value since they bought it in 2004). They own a £750,000 country home out in Buckinghamshire (I mean, we all like to get out of London sometimes, right?).

The Blairs, to be fair, aren’t keeping all this wealth to themselves, but are redistributing some of it. Specifically, they’re redistributing it to their children, three of whom have names on the deeds of their own central London properties worth upwards of £1m. Eldest son Euan is also a director of Oldbury Residential, a buy-to-let company with 27 homes in Greater Manchester, which he co-owns with his mother, Cherie. His younger brother Leo doesn’t yet seem to own any real estate, in prime central London or otherwise. He’s only 15, though, so there’s still time.

To be fair to the Blairs, they’re only doing what many other families have done. Buy-to-let homes have become the asset class of choice for the well-to-do baby boomer, for the very good reason that returns on most other forms of investment have been rubbish. And, as the bubble has inflated, more and more affluent parents have felt it’s their duty to pass the wealth down to their kids. It’s rational. It’s natural, even.

But there are two problems with this argument. One is that, however inadvertently, Tony Blair was one of the architects of the housing crisis in which we now find ourselves and of all the problems that flow from it. I don’t think that was deliberate – but he is nonetheless profiting from a crisis that he helped to create, and that’s a pretty big black mark against any leader’s record.

The other problem with dismissing the Blair property empire as normal, middle class behaviour writ large is that it downplays quite how damaging the buy-to-let boom actually is. It isn’t simply that it’s crowded first-time-buyers out of the market, though that hasn’t helped. It’s that it’s created an entire class of people who have a financial interest in keeping rents as high, and housing regulations as weak, as possible.

Landlords tend to be older and richer than their tenants; they’re also more likely to stay in a constituency, and more likely to vote while they’re there. All those things make it far easier for the former group to get their voices heard than the latter.

As if that weren’t enough, nearly a third of MPs are landlords too, and while most no doubt think they do their best to hear both sides of the argument before legislating, they will nonetheless find it much easier to grasp the arguments against stronger tenant rights than the ones in favour of it. People are generally remarkably adept at seeing the moral case for their own financial self-interest.

The government of Tony Blair helped create the buy-to-let class. Now, he is its prophet, its talisman, its patient zero. Yes, the Blairs are only doing what any other rich, middle class family would do. That is precisely the problem.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
This article on Tony Blair from 2016 popped up, says it pretty well:

On Monday, the Guardian reported that the Blairs now own a £27m property empire containing 37 different properties. They own an £8.5m Georgian townhouse in Connaught Square (that’s more than doubled in value since they bought it in 2004). They own a £750,000 country home out in Buckinghamshire (I mean, we all like to get out of London sometimes, right?).

The Blairs, to be fair, aren’t keeping all this wealth to themselves, but are redistributing some of it. Specifically, they’re redistributing it to their children, three of whom have names on the deeds of their own central London properties worth upwards of £1m. Eldest son Euan is also a director of Oldbury Residential, a buy-to-let company with 27 homes in Greater Manchester, which he co-owns with his mother, Cherie. His younger brother Leo doesn’t yet seem to own any real estate, in prime central London or otherwise. He’s only 15, though, so there’s still time.

To be fair to the Blairs, they’re only doing what many other families have done. Buy-to-let homes have become the asset class of choice for the well-to-do baby boomer, for the very good reason that returns on most other forms of investment have been rubbish. And, as the bubble has inflated, more and more affluent parents have felt it’s their duty to pass the wealth down to their kids. It’s rational. It’s natural, even.

But there are two problems with this argument. One is that, however inadvertently, Tony Blair was one of the architects of the housing crisis in which we now find ourselves and of all the problems that flow from it. I don’t think that was deliberate – but he is nonetheless profiting from a crisis that he helped to create, and that’s a pretty big black mark against any leader’s record.

The other problem with dismissing the Blair property empire as normal, middle class behaviour writ large is that it downplays quite how damaging the buy-to-let boom actually is. It isn’t simply that it’s crowded first-time-buyers out of the market, though that hasn’t helped. It’s that it’s created an entire class of people who have a financial interest in keeping rents as high, and housing regulations as weak, as possible.

Landlords tend to be older and richer than their tenants; they’re also more likely to stay in a constituency, and more likely to vote while they’re there. All those things make it far easier for the former group to get their voices heard than the latter.

As if that weren’t enough, nearly a third of MPs are landlords too, and while most no doubt think they do their best to hear both sides of the argument before legislating, they will nonetheless find it much easier to grasp the arguments against stronger tenant rights than the ones in favour of it. People are generally remarkably adept at seeing the moral case for their own financial self-interest.

The government of Tony Blair helped create the buy-to-let class. Now, he is its prophet, its talisman, its patient zero. Yes, the Blairs are only doing what any other rich, middle class family would do. That is precisely the problem.
This is absolutely frightening. If the family owned a few homes, I honestly wouldn't mind. But the fact that they own 37 homes is astonishing. These are 36 homes that families could own. 36 homes that people could buy to live in without fear of a rent increase or expulsion.

The people who vote for parties such as the one of Tony Blair better not complain when they'll see more homelessness, child poverty, insecurity and violence. Housing is not a commodity but a human rights.

Reactions: 7
You have the right to extend the lease after two years, buying the freehold isn’t always the same.

To add, saying they won’t increase the service charge is BS. It depends what the service charge covers but I doubt they will keep it at that rate for 10 years. This is my job so got any questions let me know.
Do you know about buying the lease? My parents said they’d buy it for me, can they do that?

Do you know about buying the lease? My parents said they’d buy it for me, can they do that?
Do you mean buy the freehold? Only if the current freeholder wants to sell it and at what price. You really need to speak to your solicitor about it, they’ll be able to give you advice as every situation will be different with different clauses/people involved etc

Do you mean buy the freehold? Only if the current freeholder wants to sell it and at what price. You really need to speak to your solicitor about it, they’ll be able to give you advice as every situation will be different with different clauses/people involved etc
Sorry yes the freehold is what I meant! I will speak with them, its on the list just a few things to do first. It was more if you knew if they did give me the money to buy it, I’m assuming if it’s under the 3k tax free gift limit then there wouldn’t be any issues but if over then I’d have to pay tax on what they gift me?

Sorry yes the freehold is what I meant! I will speak with them, its on the list just a few things to do first. It was more if you knew if they did give me the money to buy it, I’m assuming if it’s under the 3k tax free gift limit then there wouldn’t be any issues but if over then I’d have to pay tax on what they gift me?
If you cant buy the freehold ask for the cost of extending the lease but only if you are happy with the associated leasehold costs per year.

If you cant buy the freehold ask for the cost of extending the lease but only if you are happy with the associated leasehold costs per year.
We spoke to some people who lived there and my dads friend used to. Most said they didn’t look into buying it but one did say they think you have to have it two years before buying it so I’ll probably buy it after the 2years if I couldn’t buy it now. Nothing on the leases has changed in the 14years since they’ve been built so hopefully should be ok.
The council who own the freehold don’t seem to do anything. They cut the grass near the flats there but the people who own the houses end up doing the gras in front of their homes. Some areas with trees and bushes probably could do with cutting but it’s not too bad and gives more privacy. The housing company that built them went bust when they completed the houses (did everything but the final premium layer on the road, you can’t tell just seems like a normal road) but they left the sign up that way new houses and it’s still there 14years later!

Can you access a copy of the lease to read? What to expect from the freeholder and the terms of extending the lease should all be in there - its basically the contract between the home owner and the freeholder and so all of the obligations for both parties will be in there.
Its good that the council own the freehold as they usually fulfil their obligations and you have a route to go down if they fail and you need to complain. The only issue would be if the council then resold the freehold to someone else (as they are all stretched in the current climate).

I would contact the council (the asset management team) in the first instance and ask if they have a policy of selling the freehold or not - they might be able to give you more information as they will have a team who deal with this.

If there is a way of getting it to me without outing yourself I would be happy to have a look for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can you access a copy of the lease to read? What to expect from the freeholder and the terms of extending the lease should all be in there - its basically the contract between the home owner and the freeholder and so all of the obligations for both parties will be in there.
Its good that the council own the freehold as they usually fulfil their obligations and you have a route to go down if they fail and you need to complain. The only issue would be if the council then resold the freehold to someone else (as they are all stretched in the current climate).

I would contact the council (the asset management team) in the first instance and ask if they have a policy of selling the freehold or not - they might be able to give you more information as they will have a team who deal with this.

If there is a way of getting it to me without outing yourself I would be happy to have a look for you.
Thank you I’ll ask the solictor and get in touch with whoever I need 😃

Weird question but is there such a thing as selling a property with no for sale sign & no online listing for it?! My noisy neighbours have officially left but absolutely no trace of a house sale online… how bizarre? Have noticed a lot of houses for sale locally don’t have for sale signs outside either, it’s only the tit heaps that do, does anyone know why this is? Is it just because they’re selling that quick these days you’ve not even got time to put the wooden sign up?!

Weird question but is there such a thing as selling a property with no for sale sign & no online listing for it?! My noisy neighbours have officially left but absolutely no trace of a house sale online… how bizarre? Have noticed a lot of houses for sale locally don’t have for sale signs outside either, it’s only the tit heaps that do, does anyone know why this is? Is it just because they’re selling that quick these days you’ve not even got time to put the wooden sign up?!
Yes, you don’t have to do either if you don’t want to.

I also think sales are happening so fast the boards don’t go up.

I think someone previously in this thread said about houses selling before being online as the estate agent was sending info out to people beforehand.
Someone in my family who has died their daughter was emptying the house and someone saw her doing this. They went up to her and offered to buy the house, this was well before covid, but she hadn’t even contacted an estate agents about selling.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.