House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another update! We went to see another house this morning. Unfortunately it wasn't for us. It was made of wood and had a flat roof and looked very rotten on the outside, which worried us. Estate agent said it's already under offer. It's been on the market for less than a week. If they want to buy a house made of wood, more power to them. :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Another update! We went to see another house this morning. Unfortunately it wasn't for us. It was made of wood and had a flat roof and looked very rotten on the outside, which worried us. Estate agent said it's already under offer. It's been on the market for less than a week. If they want to buy a house made of wood, more power to them. :ROFLMAO:
Wood?!?! Is it a beach hut 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm not surprised that rotten houses have high offers too. It is quite common here in Ireland to see derelict homes for well over a 100k. The only way to renovate them is by throwing a grenade at it and starting from scratch.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
we had our heart set on a new build property 5 mins from where we live now. read all the planning permission documents on our council website and they estimated to sell the homes for £180k before covid, they’ve just gone on the market for between £216k and £230k!! How can they do this?? a three bed semi with a drive up north! It’s ridiculous

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
we had our heart set on a new build property 5 mins from where we live now. read all the planning permission documents on our council website and they estimated to sell the homes for £180k before covid, they’ve just gone on the market for between £216k and £230k!! How can they do this?? a three bed semi with a drive up north! It’s ridiculous
Still a bargain, compared to down here in the Home Counties! We own a large new build 2 bed semi which cost over £300k!

house prices are just insane

New build 3 bed semi with a drive near me is anywhere upto £500k

I'm not surprised that rotten houses have high offers too. It is quite common here in Ireland to see derelict homes for well over a 100k. The only way to renovate them is by throwing a grenade at it and starting from scratch.
I look at properties in Ireland weekly & I love seeing the spooky buildings!! We’re looking at big houses with land and they’re always so beautiful and far more… sympathetically (if that’s the right word??) decorated complementing their lovely period features than the big houses in England which are usually utterly foul. Just have to convince my husband 😩

• Heart
£200k+ used to be what the average 3-bed semi would go for in my area of the West Midlands. Now they’re going for £300k+ and the 2 beds that were usually around £120-150k are now £200k+. I can’t get my head round it. Unless we get a huge windfall there’s no way we’d be able to buy round here. I’ve almost given up on the idea as it seems like we will never have a big enough deposit.

• Sad
Still a bargain, compared to down here in the Home Counties! We own a large new build 2 bed semi which cost over £300k!

house prices are just insane
You'd be lucky to get a very average three bed semi for less than £450/500K near me, and where I am from and had to move away from to buy it is more like over £600K. It is crazy!

Viewed a house yesterday and got told there was 6 viewings but no one actually said they were making an offer like the majority of houses now, so she advised me to go under the asking price.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Viewed a house yesterday and got told there was 6 viewings but no one actually said they were making an offer like the majority of houses now, so she advised me to go under the asking price.
I ended up just putting in the asking price as when I spoke to them they asked for final and best offers. It’s leasehold £125 a year with 230years left.
I saw another similar house a few weeks ago but didn’t get it when I offered just above asking.

Reactions: 1
I ended up just putting in the asking price as when I spoke to them they asked for final and best offers. It’s leasehold £125 a year with 230years left.
I saw another similar house a few weeks ago but didn’t get it when I offered just above asking.
Does that cover ground rent and service charge? Have you seen a copy of the lease too? There could be something in there putting people off

Hang about it’s a house then that is surely freehold?

Hang about it’s a house then that is surely freehold?
It’s a leasehold house. I have read though that apparently after two years you have the right to buy the lease if you want so least there is that option. But they said it won’t increase so I think should be fine

It’s a leasehold house. I have read though that apparently after two years you have the right to buy the lease if you want so least there is that option. But they said it won’t increase so I think should be fine
You have the right to extend the lease after two years, buying the freehold isn’t always the same.

To add, saying they won’t increase the service charge is BS. It depends what the service charge covers but I doubt they will keep it at that rate for 10 years. This is my job so got any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Isn’t there a whole thing about leasehold houses , I can’t remember the ins and outs although am sure Google or someone here will know, but they have so many problems and not going to be allowed anymore

Reactions: 3
Isn’t there a whole thing about leasehold houses , I can’t remember the ins and outs although am sure Google or someone here will know, but they have so many problems and not going to be allowed anymore
Yeah it was all a farse by housing builders and there were some which meant they couldn’t sell or remortgage and were stuck I think. It was to make more money!

Personally I’d never touch a leasehold house.

Reactions: 8
Yeah it was all a farse by housing builders and there were some which meant they couldn’t sell or remortgage and were stuck I think. It was to make more money!

Personally I’d never touch a leasehold house.
Especially now it’s going to be banned, the house builders that own the leaseholds will want to make some money now they can’t keep that particular scam going

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.