House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband and I used to transfer each other money with random references for a laugh. One was on my statement from my husband as ‘love money’. My mortgage advisor was going through all the transfers and said ‘I won’t ask what you had to do to get that’
My family think it’s funny to transfer money back to me and reference it as drug money or blood money.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
And then those same landlords complain they can only get messy tenants that ruin the place. Well maybe if you made the property nicer in the first place, you’d attract a more house proud type of tenant?!
Nah - disrespectful are just that - they don't notice damage and can't be bothered to report things to the landlord/agent when it first goes wrong. References are everything and getting 3 months rental, if not 6, up-front. Make it clear in the rental agreement that you will be coming round every 3 months for an inspection. Good luck.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Nah - disrespectful are just that - they don't notice damage and can't be bothered to report things to the landlord/agent when it first goes wrong. References are everything and getting 3 months rental, if not 6, up-front. Make it clear in the rental agreement that you will be coming round every 3 months for an inspection. Good luck.
Sorry what…. Very few people would be able to afford 6 months rental up front! The housing market is ridiculous at the moment and it’s getting harder and harder for people to even rent let alone buy! One of my friends is looking for a place and said that for every house that the letting agents put up they’re getting 100+ enquiries. People are really desperate. I agree with references but rent up front just makes it even more unattainable for most. I’m on a good salary and have always paid my rent on time but even id struggle to come up with that! It’s bad enough with letting agency fees etc.

Reactions: 12
Is this a serious post? 6 months rent upfront? A lot of people don’t even have a 3 months rent sitting in the bank. How entitled to think that tenants should have 6 months rent ready to hand over before they’ve even moved in. Like they don’t have other things they may want/need to save that much money up for (like a deposit for a mortgage). Way to make housing even more out of reach for many and keep people stuck in the renting cycle.

As for 3 monthly inspections? No thanks. Been living in my place for 6 years and the only thing that’s ever been inspected is the boiler (which of course is necessary). Maybe I’m ‘lucky’ but I would not rent somewhere that demanded a snoop round my home every 12 weeks. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Sorry what…. Very few people would be able to afford 6 months rental up front! The housing market is ridiculous at the moment and it’s getting harder and harder for people to even rent let alone buy! One of my friends is looking for a place and said that for every house that the letting agents put up they’re getting 100+ enquiries. People are really desperate. I agree with references but rent up front just makes it even more unattainable for most. I’m on a good salary and have always paid my rent on time but even id struggle to come up with that! It’s bad enough with letting agency fees etc.
This tends to be a thing you only see slum landlords exploiting recently immigrated ppl with. They can ask for 3/6 months cos it’s a shithole of a room / bed sit going for a few hundred. A decent LL wouldn’t do that tbh.

• Sad
Good luck with what exactly? I am not a tenant nor landlord and I have no plans to be either.

I didn’t say there weren’t disrespectful tentants out there… of course there are. My point was that a better maintained property might actually help in attracting a more respectful tenant.

I can’t imagine many people can afford six months rent up front. But tell me again how all landlords are terrific, amazing people helping out their tenants. Your post has essentially proven what half the posters on this thread are saying - that being a landlord is all about money, and exploiting people to get that money. No thanks.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Did some rough maths and worked out we’ve spent over £50k on rent the last 10 years. 50 grand spent on someone else’s mortgage, always on time, zero payments missed, with the knowledge that we can be given 2 months notice to leave at any time. And it counts for nothing when it comes to eventually getting a mortgage. It’s galling.

Fwiw my current landlord is ok, he was an accidental landlord so there have been some minor issues and our kitchen is dated and starting to get a bit thread bear, but on the whole can’t complain. I’m sure there are other decent landlords out there, but the system sucks. People are trapped renting and are exploited by those with wealth.

Shared ownership needs to be abolished. What a tit show that is.
This springs to mind. The whole system is such a crock of tit.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am absolutely not surprised. I don't know how it is in the countries that you guys live in but it is crazy here in Ireland. When a house hits the market it is either sold before viewings are allowed or people are bidding 50-80k over the original price. My roommate is a property developer and I can hear him on the phone taking bids way over the asking price. Sometimes houses don't even hit the market because agents have so many customers that they just talk to one another. It's like exchanging pokemon cards.

If people do not have at least 10k extra for any additional repairs they are screwed.

Reactions: 2
More shared ownership estates going up in my area. 40% of a share from 160k. What a scam, they should be banned.

More shared ownership estates going up in my area. 40% of a share from 160k. What a scam, they should be banned.
It’s awful really, in my area that’s all they build along with retirement complexes for the elderly. They think they are covering all the bases with this ‘shared ownership’ nonsense. I hate how every ‘affordable housing’ scheme turns out to just be a way for the rich to benefit the most. There’s always a catch for us normal folk.

Problem is the elderly move out of these family homes (that they bought for £4K decades ago and is now worth £500k) into a retirement flat but no one local can afford to buy the houses they move out of.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Problem is the elderly move out of these massive houses (that they bought for £4K decades ago and is now worth £500k) into a retirement flat but no one local can afford to buy the houses they move out of.
I've honestly no idea how long this can continue? These people think they're so clever simply because they own a house that has tripled in value, as if their London home is a goldmine they're sitting on. Well that may be true, but only if there is someone out there able to purchase it?

As someone in their late 20s who grew up in suburban London, absolutely none of my peers in my personal/work life are buying here. One in a shared ownership flat on the outskirts of London, but that's it. It's really not even a consideration anymore. Every house that goes on sale on my street is bought by developers and turned into flats (depressing as well as bleeping annoying as there's a constant stream of renovation works happening to put up with, but that's another story).

3/4 bed houses that look halfway decent are going for £950k+. They've even started knocking down mansions near me to replace them with luxury flats. I've really no idea what the future will be for all of these beautiful London homes because there's certainly no surplus let alone an equal level of demand vs supply coming from our generation, for those who are lucky enough to have buying be a possibility at all.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I work in social housing and it pains me to see the lovely old council houses sold off. The new builds may look nice but they simply do not function as family homes.

The Mayor of London is pushing to be able to buy back the right-to-buy houses that have ended up in the private market, and use them for social rent. I hope it goes through. No one in social housing should be allowed to buy their property. Literally no justifying it, imo.

Reactions: 14
I work in social housing and it pains me to see the lovely old council houses sold off. The new builds may look nice but they simply do not function as family homes.

The Mayor of London is pushing to be able to buy back the right-to-buy houses that have ended up in the private market, and use them for social rent. I hope it goes through. No one in social housing should be allowed to buy their property. Literally no justifying it, imo.
Maybe a little controversial here but I'm of the opinion that anyone who's claimed benefits to pay their rent shouldn't be allowed to use that time/payments towards money off when purchasing their council house. Because the tax payer has paid the rent not the tenants. Why should people be allowed a discount on a property when its tax payers who have earnt that discount within that period? When most tax payers cannot afford to save to buy a home themselves. Council houses shouldn't be for sale in the first place but knowing the likes of my aunt has bought a house with a market value of 200k for 18k after 30+ years on benefits and only now has got a mortgage because of a significant discount earnt with tax payers footing the bill makes me sick when me and my husband work our arses off and cannot buy.
And just for clarification shes only recently (past 2 years) worked. Shes otherwise lived a life on the dole constantly having children as the older ones leave home (which I'm aware is a whole other debate).
Call it jealousy if you will be it just doesnt sit right with me that councils allow this.

Reactions: 11
3/4 bed houses that look halfway decent are going for £950k+. They've even started knocking down mansions near me to replace them with luxury flats. I've really no idea what the future will be for all of these beautiful London homes because there's certainly no surplus let alone an equal level of demand vs supply coming from our generation, for those who are lucky enough to have buying be a possibility at all.
This is the exact same situation that we are facing here in Ireland. Houses that are owned by older people are sold then demolished to be replaced by luxury homes. However because the average salary is 45k in my city no one can afford it except corporations. So you have entire parts of villages replaced by renters instead of families or locals who actually live there. It creates an entire generation of renters and the loss of a community.

I would love to buy a 3 bedroom house to finally settle down and be able to think about the future like my parents did in the 80s.

Out of my group of friends not a single person owns a home. We are all renters wether we live in Europe or Asia. My roommate (who is also my landlord) was able to buy his first house at 46 years old. Because the mortgage is for 20+ years he rented the room to pay it earlier and have a safer retirement. I can't imagine having to wait for so long to afford a home.

Reactions: 3
Maybe a little controversial here but I'm of the opinion that anyone who's claimed benefits to pay their rent shouldn't be allowed to use that time/payments towards money off when purchasing their council house. Because the tax payer has paid the rent not the tenants. Why should people be allowed a discount on a property when its tax payers who have earnt that discount within that period? When most tax payers cannot afford to save to buy a home themselves. Council houses shouldn't be for sale in the first place but knowing the likes of my aunt has bought a house with a market value of 200k for 18k after 30+ years on benefits and only now has got a mortgage because of a significant discount earnt with tax payers footing the bill makes me sick when me and my husband work our arses off and cannot buy.
And just for clarification shes only recently (past 2 years) worked. Shes otherwise lived a life on the dole constantly having children as the older ones leave home (which I'm aware is a whole other debate).
Call it jealousy if you will be it just doesnt sit right with me that councils allow this.
I understand, but I wouldnt get into benefit bashing areas. How the rent is paid is irrelevant, as eligibility and circumstance dictates that, but the right to buy a council home shouldnt even be an option.

Im also of the belief that the tenancies should be monitored better, means tested better. I know of several families who were housed after going down the homeless route (the people I know had the means to rent and previously owned homes) and now have a forever home. They have the income and means to rent or buy if they wanted to. Theyre in family homes that we are in real desperate need of. It just isnt fair imo. As with anything, if theres a way to take advantage, sadly there is a minority that will. I also know a vulnerable single mother who had to fight tooth and nail to get a social rent property. Its just not managed well enough.

Reactions: 5
They've even started knocking down mansions near me to replace them with luxury flats
They’ve started doing this here too (east) and it’s very jarring seeing beautiful old properties with established gardens and original stained glass then some new build monstrosity in between them, I wonder how the financials of it all add up too tbh. But nodded throughout your post, I’ve said the same thing but that generation of old people dying is my biggest concern & motivator to finally leave London as I don’t want to live in an area where the community is dictated by what tit the scumbag landlords buying these properties will pull. I’m having to pay for my neighbours guttering repairs cos I don’t want to hear it anymore, essentially subsidising a small portfolio of inheritance for their LL’s kids. Fab!

They’ve really ruined London and we’re a similar age (although I’m at the later end of the 20s bracket lol) and probably grew up in a similar London that just doesn’t exist anymore. Likewise, my friends have either bought glorified new build bedsits so aren’t in a position to have a kid yet or are moving way out to have kids so it’s not even fun playing house here. With the pandemic I’ve not left the borough in however long 18 months so feels like an increasingly pointless battle to fight.

They’ve really ruined London and we’re a similar age (although I’m at the later end of the 20s bracket lol) and probably grew up in a similar London that just doesn’t exist anymore.
Agree. Off the top of my head I can count SEVEN new build flat developments currently in progress within a 10 minute drive of my house, in addition to what's already there. It's genuinely a bizarre sight, every inch of available space in suburban London has now got a block of flats crammed into it. And heaven help you if you're lucky enough (or god forbid, paid a premium) to live next to a green or open space of any kind. The amount of houses I see that are now towered over by huge new build flat developments makes me want to weep.

My favourite are the ones marketed as "a luxury, boutique development of only 6 apartments" - i.e. we are taking the absolute piss by turning a tiny post office into another block of flats and this is all we could get permission for. And who are 'luxury flats' even aimed at anyway? The large majority would only be in a flat as they can't afford a house. So who would opt to pay a premium for a luxury version? Or are the standard new builds now so small that a flat of an actual liveable size is now considered 'luxury'?

• Heart
My mum is still in her council house. Shes been paying full rent for 45 years. She has changed the bathroom and the council have installed a Magnet kitchen and the soffits and facias have just been replaced. Its a 3 bed house in a well off town just outside London. Its only her and my step dad living in it now, two spare bedrooms. I do wonder if the council would move them to somewhere smaller so a family would move in but she said that they wouldn't do that. She ripped the bath out and installed a big walk in shower, it looks amazing but I do worry for them that it could be taken away.

Agree. Off the top of my head I can count SEVEN new build flat developments currently in progress within a 10 minute drive of my house, in addition to what's already there. It's genuinely a bizarre sight, every inch of available space in suburban London has now got a block of flats crammed into it. And heaven help you if you're lucky enough (or god forbid, paid a premium) to live next to a green or open space of any kind. The amount of houses I see that are now towered over by huge new build flat developments makes me want to weep.

My favourite are the ones marketed as "a luxury, boutique development of only 6 apartments" - i.e. we are taking the absolute piss by turning a tiny post office into another block of flats and this is all we could get permission for. And who are 'luxury flats' even aimed at anyway? The large majority would only be in a flat as they can't afford a house. So who would opt to pay a premium for a luxury version? Or are the standard new builds now so small that a flat of an actual liveable size is now considered 'luxury'?
This seems to be a global phenomenon. A corporation built 15 townhouses in my city and they all start at 600k. Mind you there are no gardens not even an inch of grass. People asked who was this targeted for because even the highest paid employees here are paid 60k. So they can't afford it. The company sold it to a corporation who is now renting them as shared housing. These corporations are engineering an entire scam with 1 purpose : creating an entire generation of renters.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
My mum is still in her council house. Shes been paying full rent for 45 years. She has changed the bathroom and the council have installed a Magnet kitchen and the soffits and facias have just been replaced. Its a 3 bed house in a well off town just outside London. Its only her and my step dad living in it now, two spare bedrooms. I do wonder if the council would move them to somewhere smaller so a family would move in but she said that they wouldn't do that. She ripped the bath out and installed a big walk in shower, it looks amazing but I do worry for them that it could be taken away.
But really, they should be moved you know? 3 beds and more are like gold dust.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.