House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she has been there 45 years then she is probably old enough to be exempt from the "bedroom tax".
Yeah, possibly. Its still a 3 bedroom family home that could house a family in need, and they could go to a 1 bed. This is what I mean about things being managed better. We cant provide social housing to everyone in need permanently - we would run out of houses and flats anyway. They do need to be reused as and when possible.

Reactions: 8
Yeah, possibly. Its still a 3 bedroom family home that could house a family in need, and they could go to a 1 bed. This is what I mean about things being managed better. We cant provide social housing to everyone in need permanently - we would run out of houses and flats anyway. They do need to be reused as and when possible.
Oh I know. I totally agree.

And the fact the bedroom tax has an upper age limit, to me, is madness. As it is most likely to be older people in large homes who's children have left home!

Reactions: 4

And the fact the bedroom tax has an upper age limit, to me, is madness. As it is most likely to be older people in large homes who's children have left home!
Yep, exactly. Its poorly managed!

Reactions: 2

'Bedroom tax ' is only for people who claim housing benefit. If a council tenant pays their rent out of their wages / pension it doesn't apply to them , even if they have a spare bedroom

'Bedroom tax ' is only for people who claim housing benefit. If a council tenant pays their rent out of their wages / pension it doesn't apply to them , even if they have a spare bedroom
Which is fair enough, but the rents are still far far lower than private renting. And when you have someone living alone or as a couple in a 3 bedroom home it doesn't seem right to me.

Reactions: 3
These people think they're so clever simply because they own a house that has tripled in value
This gets so tedious! If only people just admitted they were born at the right time to buy rather than patting themselves on the back and thinking they're a wealth management expert 😆.

Even worse is the BTL people who remortgage to pump more unearned money back into houses, helping push up prices and outbid first time buyers and then they think they're some genius buisness man/woman. It's not difficult signing forms to take out mortgages!

----
And what happens after June and in September when the stamp duty cuts are gone completely?
Screenshot_20210719-120927_Chrome.jpg

The guardian is just as bad as the mail or sun at baiting for a reaction
Screenshot_20210719-120744_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
This gets so tedious! If only people just admitted they were born at the right time to buy rather than patting themselves on the back and thinking they're a wealth management expert 😆.

Even worse is the BTL people who remortgage to pump more unearned money back into houses, helping push up prices and outbid first time buyers and then they think they're some genius buisness man/woman. It's not difficult signing forums to take out mortgages!
I owned a flat that nearly tripled in value….I was only able to buy in the first place because my Mum died and I got left a sum of money which I used as a deposit. I’m very grateful (but would rather have my Mum than bricks and mortar but there you go) I know how lucky that makes me, I certainly don’t go around pretending I knew what I was doing and I’d make that much money….those people need to behave 😂

Reactions: 11
And who are 'luxury flats' even aimed at anyway?
Investors 100%. This isn’t me being snobby but the reality of the housing situation is that these flats are the cheapest available option so end up being overfilled with poor families, rather than the single or couple yuppy the developers and landlords are expecting.

I lived in a development like this and our neighbour had four kids in a one bed flat that I felt was too small for me and now husband. You’d see it every day in the lifts, 2-5(!!) kids and you’d even have elders in the same flat. I looked at the census data (cos post Grenfell I wrote to our management company about concerns for realistic fire provisions for the actual head count in the building, not what the developers believe it to be based upon 1/2 per flat) and the average flat had 2 adults and 2 kids. They need to build more family homes for low income Londoners else they end up crammed into flats which isn’t fair on them or other people in the block. Developers know the landlords are scared of this so they big up the yuppy tit in marketing and make out like anyone wants to live in a heat box in zone 4/5/6 when you could get a gorgeous more central room for far cheaper. You get the odd sucker being bought a flat by parents who’ve got no idea about London so end up stuck owning them though. I know one who bought at £600k (this was around 2016/7/8?) and was in major negative equity and couldn’t get rid of hers, she was lovely I felt bad for her tbh.

• Sad
  • Wow
There's tens of thousands of "luxury flats" that have been built in recent years. They're stores of wealth and it almost suits the owners better to have them empty and no one devaluing the asset - along with lots of the other London housing stock. No good comes from this.

Reactions: 5

Even worse is the BTL people who remortgage to pump more unearned money back into houses, helping push up prices and outbid first time buyers and then they think they're some genius buisness man/woman. It's not difficult signing forms to take out mortgages!

----
And what happens after June and in September when the stamp duty cuts are gone completely?
View attachment 669533

The guardian is just as bad as the mail or sun at baiting for a reaction
View attachment 669535
Well, at least those Twitter replies give me hope.

Buy-to-let mortgages are the scourge of our housing market. It’s one thing renting out property you own outright, but it’s quite another to use a buy-to-let mortgage to exploit people.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Well, at least those Twitter replies give me hope.

Buy-to-let mortgages are the scourge of our housing market. It’s one thing renting out property you own outright, but it’s quite another to use a buy-to-let mortgage to exploit people.
Amongst guardian readers BTL has always been a scourge of society. Other places are more "leave them alone it's just normal people wanting some money for retirement", "it's providing an essential service to those that don't want to buy" and "you sound jealous of the savvy investors" but slowly attitudes do seem to be changing.

Amongst guardian readers BTL has always been a scourge of society. Other places are more "leave them alone it's just normal people wanting some money for retirement", "it's providing an essential service to those that don't want to buy" and "you sound jealous of the savvy investors" but slowly attitudes do seem to be changing.
We need a bingo card for this topic!

“The property is my pension”
“I worked hard for my money”
“Just spend less and you could do it, too”

• Heart
Reactions: 12
"most buy to let people only have 1-3 investment properties"

That's still 1-3 more taken out of the hands of owner occupiers! This multiplied by the millions of buy to let people is a bleeping huge amount of the housing stock.

"If they tax buy to let more I might sell up and that's less homes available"

The house wont cease to exist if it's sold! It may give the chance for someone to buy it and feel like part of society and be more invested in the local area as they can put down roots!

"I didn't have a smartphone"

They didn't exist! The generation before you also didn't have access to modern recently invented things. Most cost a few quid a week on a and are essential these days.

"I didn't have fancy avocado toast, I had oats for breakfast"

Avo toast on sourdough costs about 50p a portion made at home. Porridge with some fruit isn't really that much cheaper

"I've worked hard for every single penny I have, other people could do the same if they weren't lazy"

When their house makes more money than they do each year and other people certainly could not do the same now!

I'll stop now 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 11
"most buy to let people only have 1-3 investment properties"

That's still 1-3 more taken out of the hands of owner occupiers! This multiplied by the millions of buy to let people is a bleeping huge amount of the housing stock.

"If they tax buy to let more I might sell up and that's less homes available"

The house wont cease to exist if it's sold! It may give the chance for someone to buy it and feel like part of society and be more invested in the local area as they can put down roots!

"I didn't have a smartphone"

They didn't exist! The generation before you also didn't have access to modern recently invented things. Most cost a few quid a week on a and are essential these days.

"I didn't have fancy avocado toast, I had oats for breakfast"

Avo toast on sourdough costs about 50p a portion made at home. Porridge with some fruit isn't really that much cheaper

"I've worked hard for every single penny I have, other people could do the same if they weren't lazy"

When their house makes more money than they do each year and other people certainly could not do the same now!

I'll stop now 😆
I stayed with some family a couple if weeks ago and the man of the house, a totally insufferable boomer of the worst kind, frequently told me how "the house is our pension" and even tried to tell me that occupational pensions aren't worth having (he lost that argument seeing as I work in pensions so had a come back for every one of his pathetic little arguements).

• Heart
I stayed with some family a couple if weeks ago and the man of the house, a totally insufferable boomer of the worst kind, frequently told me how "the house is our pension" and even tried to tell me that occupational pensions aren't worth having (he lost that argument seeing as I work in pensions so had a come back for every one of his pathetic little arguements).
Oh my god, so sorry but what an idiot.

I cannot abide anyone who comes out with this anti-pension myth. It drives me insane, but seems to be quite common in some circles.

Reactions: 8
They won't move her as she has a long term tenancy and pays full rent. What she should have done is bought it.
She should be moved into a smaller property if her needs still requires it. Then a family who actually needs the 3 bed house would have it. Buying it removes the house from the social market and deprives another family of a home. Social housing needs a big shake up.

Oh my god, so sorry but what an idiot.

I cannot abide anyone who comes out with this anti-pension myth. It drives me insane, but seems to be quite common in some circles.
It wasn't a fun few days!!

He is honestly the worst kind of person. He made me so angry I couldn't look at him. I needed another few days off work after my time in his company as he stressed me out so much.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.