House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow, what an interesting thread. Its been really interesting reading all the posts here.
I dont know anything about buying a house. My parents were always in a council house, and my mum still lives in the council house where she raised me and my siblings.
My partner and I, have a mortgage. Our little house is an ex council house on a small estate that was council but i think its all mortgaged houses now.
I have always always always wanted to live in a new build! But my partner who is an electrician said no because he has worked on enough of them to know how they are thrown together and normally have loads of issues a year down the line. But i cant lie, i love New Builds. I dont know if its because im shallow and dont know about houses, or what.
Council/ ex council are usually where all the amenities are. There is usually a bus route and a local shop/ convenience store. Often there will be a nearby school . New housing development is usually on the edge of a town , and can be quite a distance from the houses to the main road. ( or at least in our local towns) .

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yeah avoid new builds if you can. A colleague has recently bought one and it's been nothing but pain for him. They're supposed to be all ready to go but there's issues around insulation, shoddy workmanship like doors not closing etc.

Council/ ex council are usually where all the amenities are. There is usually a bus route and a local shop/ convenience store. Often there will be a nearby school . New housing development is usually on the edge of a town , and can be quite a distance from the houses to the main road. ( or at least in our local towns) .
This too. they need to also start zoning commerical areas and building amenities like pubs, cafes, little shops etc. in these new developments because they're isolated suburban mazes for the most part.

Reactions: 5
Wow, what an interesting thread. Its been really interesting reading all the posts here.
I dont know anything about buying a house. My parents were always in a council house, and my mum still lives in the council house where she raised me and my siblings.
My partner and I, have a mortgage. Our little house is an ex council house on a small estate that was council but i think its all mortgaged houses now.
I have always always always wanted to live in a new build! But my partner who is an electrician said no because he has worked on enough of them to know how they are thrown together and normally have loads of issues a year down the line. But i cant lie, i love New Builds. I dont know if its because im shallow and dont know about houses, or what. But at the time, in my head i thought if we got a new build then we really would have 'made it'. I hope that makes sense, i know i probably come across as a right vain witch here! But i had nothing growing up, i am the first person in my family to go to uni and get a mortgage and have a 'professional' career, so it was probably more of a status thing caused by me not knowing anything about houses. I am very proud of our house though, i mean its nothing special- just your average 3 bedroom, semi detached house. But it needed loads of work doing to it, luckily my partner is an electrician and just generally very good with everything so between him, his plumber friends and his builder friends, we were able to do it up to a really high standard. But i think this is our forever home, im almost 35 and he is 46. We have a friend who has moved houses 3 times during the past 10 years and now lives in a huge beautiful house, but the mortgage is sky high. He is the same age as my partner and i know he is absolutely skint now and he said he wishes he was still in the first house he got.
You don’t sound shallow or vain at all!

I tend to agree with @heretoreaditall2019 and your partner - the build quality of a new build is definitely usually inferior to an ex-council house.

I think it’s a lot to do with the spec of a house, usually. I can understand why new builds seem like a dream to many people, because they’re usually detached with parking, have en-suites, and obviously you usually get to choose elements of decor and it’s all seemingly done for you when you move in, all crisp and fresh and new.

The reality however is that usually the rooms are smaller than in older homes, the layouts don’t work well, there’s often not enough storage and things are badly designed so it’s not easy to add in. I’ve also known of people who’ve never had their snagging finished, so their new build still has issues years down the line.

I’m sure there’s a few gems out there, but mostly they are totally overrated and are bought by people who want to project a certain image. I get it - it’s a nice image. But scratch the surface and it’s not as good as you think!

I bet your house is lovely. So handy having a partner who can do all that stuff!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The motivating factor for anyone renting out a second property is to make money. Often they do this by spending the bare minimum on decoration and maintenance, appliances etc. because “it’s for the rental market” so no point in making it nice because it’ll only get trashed. Sadly because it’s all worn and run down, some tenants can have the mindset that it’s not worth treating nicely.

The worst landlords are the ones who try and scam you for any minor or perceived damage just to keep your deposit and use it to either fix a pre-existing problem, or in a lot of cases just line their pockets and try the same trick again. I used to take photos and document every issue then email the landlord with them at the start of a tenancy. Saved me from losing my deposit when the worst landlord I ever had to deal with tried to keep our full deposit to replace the kitchen floor because of a cracked tile that was there when we moved in.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It annoys me when watching homes under the hammer how the presenters will be like “this is going to be a rental so this room is fine” and it’s a bathroom or kitchen dating back to the 70’s and quite frankly looks naff. I mean it doesn’t have to be top of the range but come on. If you wouldn’t be happy to live with a room like that you shouldn’t expect anyone else to imo. It’s far too common for landlords to scrimp on the upkeep and renovation of their properties.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It annoys me when watching homes under the hammer how the presenters will be like “this is going to be a rental so this room is fine” and it’s a bathroom or kitchen dating back to the 70’s and quite frankly looks naff. I mean it doesn’t have to be top of the range but come on. If you wouldn’t be happy to live with a room like that you shouldn’t expect anyone else to imo. It’s far too common for landlords to scrimp on the upkeep and renovation of their properties.
And then those same landlords complain they can only get messy tenants that ruin the place. Well maybe if you made the property nicer in the first place, you’d attract a more house proud type of tenant?!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The reality however is that usually the rooms are smaller than in older homes, the layouts don’t work well, there’s often not enough storage and things are badly designed so it’s not easy to add in. I’ve also known of people who’ve never had their snagging finished, so their new build still has issues years down the line.
Yes! Nodded to all of this! The ~way people lived~ has changed dramatically over the last 100 years which is why you see such a variance between the style of house from Victorian to post war to new build. Each have their pros/cons but new builds are the only ones I’d say to never touch as the build quality is just fucked, plus there’s been a few financial scandals around part ownership, HTB, and bad ground rent (or block management fees for flats). Just major yikes.

When my bathroom was getting done they had to rush to an emergency where another customer had fallen through her bathroom ceiling into the kitchen, in a new build. It was a couple of years old (!!!) but they’d never fitted the shower tray properly so for years water was going through the floor (or whatever you call it) and rotted the beams and she fell through. We had similar in the flat we rented the shower was leaking out through the wall due to a dodgy fitting and the smell was foul, pretty much every flat had it so you could smell it in the halls.

Agree with Lana I’d love a husband who could do odd jobs around the house as often labour is the most expensive part (minus kitchens and bathrooms or floors!). Does he want to come round mine and put some pics and mirrors up pls 😂

New builds are an absolute pain. They look beautiful with their brand new interior. However the bedrooms are now so small that you can only put a dresser. Dining rooms don't even exist anymore, people have to eat in their kitchen. And don't get me started on the walls that are so thin that you can hear everything.

My friend is a property developer and he told me to never buy new build but older houses.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
If those on minimum wage jobs want a home so badly and it matters to them they can do what a poster above did and study in there evenings or time off. This will reap the rewards down the line as they will have a profession/skill/trade which can earn them enough to save for a place.

Again, before those with a chip on their shoulder try and apply it to their own circumstances I am talking in general terms. Some might not want to own a home, some might prefer to work the hours they currently work etc, which as I’ve said all along is completely up to them
Gosh I could not scroll past this comment. This is so ridiculous. We all depend on people in low paid jobs. The pandemic showed this and it's a shame you haven't realised. Supermarket workers, cleaners, waste removers, carers, etc etc. Do they not deserve to own a house? What would we all do then if no one wanted to do those jobs? And this is the thanks they get. The delusion is insane.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
PMSL. The last time we remortgaged the advisor in the bank went through every single transaction on our bank statement. She even asked what the Love honey payment was. Think she was just a pervert.
My husband and I used to transfer each other money with random references for a laugh. One was on my statement from my husband as ‘love money’. My mortgage advisor was going through all the transfers and said ‘I won’t ask what you had to do to get that’

• Haha
The motivating factor for anyone renting out a second property is to make money. Often they do this by spending the bare minimum on decoration and maintenance, appliances etc. because “it’s for the rental market” so no point in making it nice because it’ll only get trashed. Sadly because it’s all worn and run down, some tenants can have the mindset that it’s not worth treating nicely.

The worst landlords are the ones who try and scam you for any minor or perceived damage just to keep your deposit and use it to either fix a pre-existing problem, or in a lot of cases just line their pockets and try the same trick again. I used to take photos and document every issue then email the landlord with them at the start of a tenancy. Saved me from losing my deposit when the worst landlord I ever had to deal with tried to keep our full deposit to replace the kitchen floor because of a cracked tile that was there when we moved in.
Tbh if the houses were in a nicer state then I would treat them better. When you move in and there's paint missing from the walls, dusty carpets, a dirty oven and oily hob and cheap Ikea furniture covered in marks and you know you're only there for a year then you don't really want to put in hours of time making it "nice".

Gosh I could not scroll past this comment. This is so ridiculous. We all depend on people in low paid jobs. The pandemic showed this and it's a shame you haven't realised. Supermarket workers, cleaners, waste removers, carers, etc etc. Do they not deserve to own a house? What would we all do then if no one wanted to do those jobs? And this is the thanks they get. The delusion is insane.
This is why the housing market and economy will eventually crash. Landlords will raise prices so much that people can't afford to live in their overpriced rooms, birth rates will plummet, corporations won't pay any more, we'll have a bunch of multi-generational households of people in their 30s and 40s still living and caring for eldery parents, and governments will keep opping up housing prices and eventually no one will be able to afford anything.

Reactions: 3
Yes! Nodded to all of this! The ~way people lived~ has changed dramatically over the last 100 years which is why you see such a variance between the style of house from Victorian to post war to new build. Each have their pros/cons but new builds are the only ones I’d say to never touch as the build quality is just fucked, plus there’s been a few financial scandals around part ownership, HTB, and bad ground rent (or block management fees for flats). Just major yikes.

When my bathroom was getting done they had to rush to an emergency where another customer had fallen through her bathroom ceiling into the kitchen, in a new build. It was a couple of years old (!!!) but they’d never fitted the shower tray properly so for years water was going through the floor (or whatever you call it) and rotted the beams and she fell through. We had similar in the flat we rented the shower was leaking out through the wall due to a dodgy fitting and the smell was foul, pretty much every flat had it so you could smell it in the halls.

Agree with Lana I’d love a husband who could do odd jobs around the house as often labour is the most expensive part (minus kitchens and bathrooms or floors!). Does he want to come round mine and put some pics and mirrors up pls 😂

I had no idea how much things normally cost. He re wired our house and he said that alone can cost thousands. I say he is brilliant, but i have some GHD straighteners that are fucked and ive been waiting years for him to fix!! but he is just one of these annoying people that can do pretty much anything, but he is a good guy and will do anything to help anyone which has been really useful when we needed a plumber to come in and he just got one of his friends to do it. I am the complete opposite of him! im pretty much useless at anything other than my actual job!

I have loved reading this thread and finding out more about houses, and i also hate to have to admit to my partner that he is correct when it comes to council houses/ new builds!! lol :)

• Heart
My
I had no idea how much things normally cost. He re wired our house and he said that alone can cost thousands. I say he is brilliant, but i have some GHD straighteners that are fucked and ive been waiting years for him to fix!! but he is just one of these annoying people that can do pretty much anything, but he is a good guy and will do anything to help anyone which has been really useful when we needed a plumber to come in and he just got one of his friends to do it. I am the complete opposite of him! im pretty much useless at anything other than my actual job!

I have loved reading this thread and finding out more about houses, and i also hate to have to admit to my partner that he is correct when it comes to council houses/ new builds!! lol :)
My house is ex local authority. The rooms are a good size and its solid. I wouldn't buy a new build. There are 150 houses on my street and its really green, it was an apple orchard and woodland, such a nice family area. I love this thread too, good to see different points of view.

Reactions: 1
Not suprised, madness to buy during a frenzy and overpay.

Quite possibly prices will decline in the next few months, Halifax already showed a fall last month.

Reactions: 7
I’m not that surprised people regret it. We bought last year and there was a LOT of pressure at viewings, like basically trying to get you in and out in five minutes. My partner & I were good at standing our ground and taking our time, but I can imagine some people find that difficult, especially if moving was a necessity at that stage.

Also, a friend of mine was told she’d have to offer on a house purely on a video call, rather than an in-person visit! She walked away, but again, if you’re desperate to move for whatever reason, I can imagine it’s easier to give in…

• Wow
Quite possibly prices will decline in the next few months, Halifax already showed a fall last month.
Agree completely. I mentioned that disgusting house that needs destroying that sold for 15% more than ours that just needed redecorating just 2 years apart, if that value is upheld that means our property hasn’t just gone up 15% in 2 years but 20, 30, 40% whatever they value the work being done at or want to pretend is feasible? Give over!

I feel sorry for people who pushed themselves into houses that need a bit of work who were intending to remortgage in 3 or 5 years to cover the work but will find their next valuation to not be favourable 😬

Is it best to go through a mortgage advisor? From when I’ve checked what I can borrow online (4.5 times my salary) it’s about 35k more than what the mortgage advisor has told me.

Is it best to go through a mortgage advisor? From when I’ve checked what I can borrow online (4.5 times my salary) it’s about 35k more than what the mortgage advisor has told me.
It really depends. If you can get it on the high street and it’s a good rate you don’t need to but you might want to see what they can offer as sometimes they can get off market rates.

It all depends how much you want/need and can afford.

We needed 4.5 times our income so had limited choices but went through Barclays as it was the best rate.

Reactions: 3
Galliard Homes extends Stamp Duty holiday until 2022!

That stupid radio ad I must hear 10 times a day. Are people really still fooled by someone putting up the price and then givinga fake discount?🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.