House of the Dragon HOT D - HBO & Sky

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

It's incredibly clever how GRRM writes his world and draws on real world history and other writers like Lovecraft and Tolkien for inspiration.

Must take a lot of work to knit it all together and with each volume far far more effort is needed.

I wonder if he actually wants the very difficult mission of finishing "a song of..." Or if he'd rather leave it incomplete and not have to do it.

Reactions: 8
Based on his comments about previous plot issues in the series I suspect he isn't bothered.

If you enjoy fantasy books you should absolutely give Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series a go. The first book is the weakest by his own admission, written a decade earlier than the sequel. It's a complete series with a complete prequel trilogy, for me I think it is superior to ASOIAF both in scope and execution. Erikson's character work is second to none, he can introduce a new character and convey their thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams in a page of POV prose only for it to transpire they have been killed the on the next, and you actually feel something. The biggest shame is they think it will never be adapted for the screen because it would be too hard to reconcile the intricacies of the plot.

I collect 4K discs and bought the first season of GOT on ebay for £5, rewatched the first three episodes so far and they are excellent. Really highlights how poor those final seasons were.

Reactions: 6
Been lurking on this thread...

Any Wheel of Time fans as I'm getting Robert Jordan vibes, he passed away before finishing his series but chose Brandon Sanderson to finish it, gave him all his notes and talked it through extensively..Brandon did a great job, could see something like this happening with ASOIAF!
Oh and the wheel of time amazon series, was so excited for it and its terrible.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It's incredibly clever how GRRM writes his world and draws on real world history and other writers like Lovecraft and Tolkien for inspiration.

Must take a lot of work to knit it all together and with each volume far far more effort is needed.

I wonder if he actually wants the very difficult mission of finishing "a song of..." Or if he'd rather leave it incomplete and not have to do it.
I dont think he wants to finish it, and I think after all the ' controversy' over season 8 of the TV series he must have found himself in a bind. Even if he wanted Dany to go mad in King's Landing, he may feel he can't really write the characters the way he wants.

Reactions: 2
I dont think he wants to finish it, and I think after all the ' controversy' over season 8 of the TV series he must have found himself in a bind. Even if he wanted Dany to go mad in King's Landing, he may feel he can't really write the characters the way he wants.
I agree with the last part but its such a shame! I‘ve always thought she‘d eventually go mad and if done correctly it would have worked really well imo. There were some hints here and there already but not enough to justify the sudden change.

Reactions: 9
I agree with the last part but its such a shame! I‘ve always thought she‘d eventually go mad and if done correctly it would have worked really well imo. There were some hints here and there already but not enough to justify the sudden change.
Yes I agree. I think it was the suddenness that was jarring, but that was probably partly because the last season was so rushed. Looking at some of HotD fansites and fanart, I think lots of the shows fans are just really desperate for GoT/HotDto be some kind of Disney Cinderella romance. I mean, I love Daemon and Rhaenyra as much as the next person, but it's hardly a love story for the ages with them frolicking in the sun with their children and ruling the kingdom Happily Ever After! He's a psychopath ( even without the choking, which was unnecessary and not in the text) who married his niece and chops people in half! I think maybe some wanted Dany and Jon to live happily ever after at the end too.

I went through an Early 20th century Sci fi phase and read Edgar Rice Burroughs Princess of Mars series, which is still one of my favourite books. I nearly cried watching that terrible John Carter film because they didn't get it it all, and took a great title and made it tit, taking a female protagonist written by a man in the 1920s and making it all about the male character nearly 100 years later! I was really looking forward to it too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Been lurking on this thread...

Any Wheel of Time fans as I'm getting Robert Jordan vibes, he passed away before finishing his series but chose Brandon Sanderson to finish it, gave him all his notes and talked it through extensively..Brandon did a great job, could see something like this happening with ASOIAF!
Martin has expressed his dislike for others writing in his universe in the past, unless he's changed his mind I don't feel like this would be his style.

He's also admitted himself he's not much of an architect with his writing. I don't think hed have extensive notes, timelines, structure set out so that someone else could even have as decent a go.

Reactions: 3
I've just finished reading ' Fire and Blood'. Blimey those
Daemyra shippers better get their smelling salts out!

• Haha
Martin has expressed his dislike for others writing in his universe in the past, unless he's changed his mind I don't feel like this would be his style.

He's also admitted himself he's not much of an architect with his writing. I don't think hed have extensive notes, timelines, structure set out so that someone else could even have as decent a go.
I would have thought his planning was really in-depth since it's such an expansive world. I'm amazed he can keep up with it all without notes!

I mean he has an entire house in the same street dedicated to his writing and figurines. I assumed it must be filled with notes and plans somewhere!

I would have thought his planning was really in-depth since it's such an expansive world. I'm amazed he can keep up with it all without notes!

I mean he has an entire house in the same street dedicated to his writing and figurines. I assumed it must be filled with notes and plans somewhere!

World-building is one thing, but plot is another. He's been open about the fact that he doesn't plan his plots in great detail, which is why the delays first started.

Reactions: 4

He just doesn't have the whole story planned out. Writers like Sanderson know exactly how their stories will end before they start truly writing the story, Martin is not the same.

It seems to be getting more common where we only get one series of a show every two years. I get they need time to write and film it, then do post production, but there's almost too much time between different series now to the point I've forgotten a lot of it!

With Game of Thrones they were able to make one season a year until season 8, so it's clear that's the direction we're heading in. I suppose the dragon scenes take a long time to do.

Reactions: 6
It seems to be getting more common where we only get one series of a show every two years. I get they need time to write and film it, then do post production, but there's almost too much time between different series now to the point I've forgotten a lot of it!

With Game of Thrones they were able to make one season a year until season 8, so it's clear that's the direction we're heading in. I suppose the dragon scenes take a long time to do.
I end up spending more time rewatching a whole series ahead of a new one just to remember what happened 🙈

Reactions: 7
I started rewatching it today. I can't believe it was a year ago.
RDT_20230901_21235952906192217843554.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8