House of the Dragon HOT D - HBO & Sky

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started reading the book and first few chapters. Then my kindle says the next chapter is 2hours 10mins and I haven't had the time to read that in one go. I know I'm a slow reader but I think I've made it longer by having to keep checking a map :LOL:
I'm reading it on the Kindle too. I haven't got to the HoD bit though. I've just read through the Aegon the Conqueror bit. At the moment Im finding it an easier read than SOIAF but I read about 5 of those!

Reactions: 2

Yel

It's macabre, but I wonder what happens when George RR is no longer with us? Will no more rights be sold and all unpublished stuff be destroyed?

I hope there's a few more spin offs, and the whole a song of fire and ice gets remade in a few decades.

I'm reading it on the Kindle too. I haven't got to the HoD bit though. I've just read through the Aegon the Conqueror bit. At the moment Im finding it an easier read than SOIAF but I read about 5 of those!
Yeah it's quite easy to read I just struggle with remembering the map and all the different (made up) names that they keep giving to new people😆

It seems like some sections of the book are one long chapter and others are split into a handful.

It's macabre, but I wonder what happens when George RR is no longer with us? Will no more rights be sold and all unpublished stuff be destroyed?

I hope there's a few more spin offs, and the whole a song of fire and ice gets remade in a few decades.

Yeah it's quite easy to read I just struggle with remembering the map and all the different (made up) names that they keep giving to new people😆

It seems like some sections of the book are one long chapter and others are split into a handful.
The names are annoying. You've made a fantasy world. At least think of some new names! I suppose we are now on our 3rd King Charles, we have had 8 Henry's and 8 Edwards, so maybe GRRM has a point! HoD has 4 seasons, and we have the Jon Snow spin off, and Ibthinknthere is another one in the pipeline from another book.

Reactions: 1
I saw this online and thought I’d share for anyone interested in knowing the (possible) lineage of the dragons. I don’t know that it’s 100% accurate though:

2F4EE8E2-68A3-4A22-BC42-46FA34EFD64B.jpeg

I do know that it’s heavily implied that Dreamfyre (Helaena’s dragon) laid the eggs that will eventually hatch into Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Yel

I heard that there were at least 10 spin offs still in development, but I don't think any have actually been greenlit.

They've filmed some pilots and then scrapped that whole spin off show.

Rewatching GOT and why are the pronunciations so different? E.g. ‘Harran Hal’ (as in pal) and ‘Valeeryia’ (whereas now it’s ‘Valaryia’)

Rewatching GOT and why are the pronunciations so different? E.g. ‘Harran Hal’ (as in pal) and ‘Valeeryia’ (whereas now it’s ‘Valaryia’)
I think the answer is that the GoT actors were just not as good at accents as the more experienced HotD actors!

Reactions: 5

I keep thinking about this too. I would imagine another famous fantasy writer will take over.

He's 74, he's only 2/3rds of the way through with Winds of Winter. Hasn't started A Dream of Spring. It's looking more likely he won't finish the series 😓

• Sad
Reactions: 4
He's 74, he's only 2/3rds of the way through with Winds of Winter. Hasn't started A Dream of Spring. It's looking more likely he won't finish the series 😓
Yeah, I can't see the series ever being finished!! 😕 which is a shame...it would be good to know how different it is from the series' ending!

I did contemplate rereading ASOIAF but couldn't face the frustration of being five books in and no conclusion! I am reading Blood and Fire though and enjoying it more than I thought I would..its surprisingly easy to read!
I'm interested in where exactly the show will take it...there's a lot that can be left to interpretation!

Reactions: 7
I keep thinking about this too. I would imagine another famous fantasy writer will take over.

Yes maybe it will be similar to the Stieg Laarson situation or Lee Child ( even though he's still alive!)

Yeah, I can't see the series ever being finished!! 😕 which is a shame...it would be good to know how different it is from the series' ending!

I did contemplate rereading ASOIAF but couldn't face the frustration of being five books in and no conclusion! I am reading Blood and Fire though and enjoying it more than I thought I would..its surprisingly easy to read!
I'm interested in where exactly the show will take it...there's a lot that can be left to interpretation!
I am still really enjoying the book too but
I am only a bit of the way through Fire and Blood, so am only going by the first part of the book and the TV show, but do you think some of the characters are repeated? Like Aerys and Maegor are like Viserys and Daemon, and Rhaenys and Visenya are like Alicient and Rhaenyra! I don't know whether the TV series has mashed the characters and storylines into one or if GRRM has written very similar characters and storylines a couple of generations later!

Last edited:
I‘m really hoping he‘s got a notebook in a safe that will be given to someone he trusts after he died and it will give at least a rough outline and the ending (so we don‘t get Bran on the throne again).

Yes maybe it will be similar to the Stieg Laarson situation or Lee Child ( even though he's still alive!)

I am only a bit of the way through Fire and Blood, so am only going by the first part of the book and the TV show, but do you think some of the characters are repeated? Like Aerys and Maegor are like Viserys and Daemon, and Rhaenys and Visenya are like Alicient and Rhaenyra! I don't know whether the TV series has mashed the characters and storylines into one or if GRRM has written very similar characters and storylines a couple of generations later!
In relation to your spoiler no these are totally different characters you have a while to go yet to the House of Dragon characters

I‘m really hoping he‘s got a notebook in a safe that will be given to someone he trusts after he died and it will give at least a rough outline and the ending (so we don‘t get Bran on the throne again).
I'm sure he's said his publisher or agent has been given a synopsis of how it all ends. I was very disappointed with elements of GoT but especially how it ended. The whole Prince who was promised bit came to nothing?

its definitely GRRM repeating character traits and relationships in later generations...he does it quite a lot!
Not really helped by the very similar and repetitive names he uses! 🙈

Im about half way through the Dance of the Dragons/HoTD part of the book...theres a lot I'm looking forward to seeeing how they interpret it for the screen!

Yel

I heard him say recently that he's 3/4 through Winds of Winter.

My first thought was the remaining 1/4 could be the hard bit and take another 10 years 😬

Reactions: 5
I am always impressed with the imaginations of these writers, especially George RR Martin. I cannot imagine coming up with the whole world of A Song of Ice and Fire. It is incredible. He's put a lot of time and dedication into writing the story. I am grateful he did, it's been an amazing ride as a fan of the TV show.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am always impressed with the imaginations of these writers, especially George RR Martin. I cannot imagine coming up with the whole world of A Song of Ice and Fire. It is incredible. He's put a lot of time and dedication into writing the story. I am grateful he did, it's been an amazing ride as a fan of the TV show.
I'm a huge fantasy fan. I agree. I am just in awe of how writers can come up with these fantastical worlds ( although I do think GRRM does get the basics wrong sometimes- names and characters too similar, overwritten descriptions) the general world building is so difficult to do). I did a creative writing course last year and the tutor asked us about what genre we would like to study. I said Sci fi and fantasy which got me some surprised looks because I don't look like a fantasy geek! I can't imagine that coming out of someone's head!

Reactions: 8