House chores

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I only work 2 nights a week and 1 evening at weekends, my husband works 5 long days so i do majority of the chores as i have more time although he likes to do some.
I cook, do washing, cleaning, tidying up the house and do DIY, pay the household bills as hubby hasnt a clue what needs to be paid and when. He likes to do ironing and washing up and kids lunches (if i haven't done them) . We do food shopping together as if i send hubby he always buys the cheaper option of what is on the list, sometimes that's a good thing other times its not 😃.
He does the gardening as im not very keen.

We split 50/50 when we both worked FT legal jobs.

Now that I'm a SAHM I do all the "inside" work (cook, clean, bills, etc.) and he does the "outside" work (mowing, car maintenance, handiwork, etc.). On the daily though, I make dinner every evening and he does the washing up after dinner. And we parent together, of course.

Reactions: 3
Never really thought about it but I think it pretty much measures up as 50/50.
I do washing/ironing/dusting/general cleaning.
He does dishwasher/floors/emptying bins/general house maintenance.
We each clean our own bathrooms and I do the utility area with another half bathroom.
Mostly shared cooking and cleaning up after.
Take turns to give the kitchen a deeper clean once a week or so and then everyone mucks in for a full house declutter and deep cleaning after winter and after summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Mine does absolutely af until I lose my absolute tit. He does work long hours and in currently on mat leave. However when I was at work full time it was the same. And I'm guessing it will be the same when I go back (again full time).
Hes never cooked a meal, done a big shop, washed clothes or cleaned the bathroom.
He will give the hoover a quick run around, empty dish washer or make the bed if I lose my tit. 😫
Most annoying thing he does is leaves his pile or dirty clothes, dirty pits and any snack wrappers next to him side of the bed in the morning. WHY?! Your going downstairs ffs, take them down!
My ex was like this. I did absolutely everything. He was a nice guy, he just let me do it. It bred huge resentment in me as he felt like another child

Reactions: 2
I used to do absolutely everything when I lived with my ex partner and his daughter. I would spend hours every evening trying to keep up with the cleaning, cooking, prepping lunches etc. After I left my ex and he moved out it was total bliss! I really miss his daughter as she was a big part of my life but I do not miss finding his sandwich crusts down the side of the sofa... Yes, the side. of. the. sofa. :sick:

In my opinion having your dinner cooked and the groceries bought is the best thing ever and I’d do anything for that. The thing is, house work can be done anytime, and if you can’t be arsed one day and put it off until the next day, no one will notice. Whereas the food shop HAS to be bought, dinner, lunch etc HAS to be made or you’ll not eat. Everyone notices that. Also, one person cooking dinner every night means they have to come up with different meals constantly which can be a total pain in the arse or else you’d get bored eating the same stuff week in week out whereas if there were 2 people sharing that job, it naturally would be mixed up a wee bit.

I absolutely detest cooking and food shop. Much rather iron sequinned jeans then do either.

• Haha
We both work full time but often do different hours. If I cook, he will wash up and vice versa.

He's not one for cleaning/doing the washing/making the bed unless I tell him to. Lol.

I don't work so it's only fair I do most of the domestic stuff. I keep on top of it so it's not a big deal, plus I like ironing 😳. My husband does the kitchen clear up every night as I doing the cooking, again I enjoy it and he's not much of a cook. The only job I insist on him doing is clean the shower as the screen is a single piece of glass and it's huge, I need to use a step ladder if I clean it! We both do the food shop together at the weekends. We're having a big clear out in the better weather but he'll wade in and do most of it, he's a tidy freak 😁. He also does all the recycling, bins etc.

I think the difference is whether he picks up after himself or not? It’s fine having certain jobs each but it’s not an excuse for the one who doesn’t do daily cleaning/tidying to drop their tit everywhere and expect it to be picked up or put away.

Its pretty much 80/20. My husband pretty much does all of the house hold chores. We split washing and cooking. I earn significantly more than him so I pay for all of our holidays including spending money (pretty pricey holidays like disney, Vegas etc). I pay into a joint savings account for us, pay for us to have a nice, social lifestyle. Bills and food shopping are split evenly though. This is just something that works well for us. In the beginning he really hated it and I think felt slightly emasculate by it but he knows my job is high stress and without it we wouldnt have our lifestyle.

Cleaning the whole house everyday - Me
Laundry - Me Organising all of clothes colour coordinated
Ironing a lady picks up and drop back the next day
Cooking - Me
Hoovering - Me everyday
Food Shopping - Me once a week
I do everything and work part time. He works full time.... it’s my fault I’m so particular.... I’d rather do it...

I always think I do everything but I charge him (probably more than) 50% of our outgoings in rent (I own our home). I do the online shop and I prefer to cook even though I leave earlier and get home later than he does from his day job, mainly because he adds unnecessary calories to a meal. He’s been working nights as well recently but generally He’s lazy AF around the house on a day to day basis. he is better at DIY than me and gets random motivations to declutter and clean a room when the mood takes him. I was single for most of my life so I’m kinda used to being self sufficient, I love having him around, he’s funny, generous, caring and always buys me flowers and meals out / little holidays so It all works out in the end.

Cleaning the whole house everyday - Me
Laundry - Me Organising all of clothes colour coordinated
Ironing a lady picks up and drop back the next day
Cooking - Me
Hoovering - Me everyday
Food Shopping - Me once a week
I do everything and work part time. He works full time.... it’s my fault I’m so particular.... I’d rather do it...
You hoover everyday? :oops:

I love doing the food shop i can spend ages in the supermarket. :giggle:
I hate it. I think it’s the whole meal planning aspect and then trying to find what I need. Plus I always go when I’m not hungry to stop me buying crap which in turn makes me not want to be in there 😣

My partner work full time monday to friday and sunday. From 5:30 am to 8 to 10pm, I do everything but I dont cook for him as he hate vegetarian meals. He cook on every Saturday he better than me lol