Horrendous neighbours

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi,

Bit stick as to who to ask without involving another solicitor but I can’t find another example of anything similar.
My mother has lived in her house for a decade with no issues. Recently, someone moved in next door and is trying every trick in the book to extort money from her and other residents, suing one neighbour about (I kid you n) bins, and trying to sue my mother for a new fence since she has “damaged it” - it was a 20 year old fence. He has since built a new one that is twice as tall and is suing her to pay for it.
But my biggest concern is, they built the fence which they own; and a week later, signs attached to the fence appeared on her side of the garden. This man is 5ft6, and the signs are neatly screwed in on both sides so he couldn’t have done it leaning over the fence. I’m concerned he’s been on her land, but my question is, is he allowed to do this and what next? He’s already threatened my mother and had to be held back from attacking her.
I suggested just unscrewing them and posting them through his latter box but my mother is so terrified of him, and thinks as it’s his fence, he can do as he likes.
Attached the fence below ☹

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Can you put up cameras? if you feel he's going into the garden then it's trespassing, doesn't matter if it's to attach signs or not, it's still trespassing an he cannot be on her property without permission

Did he try an solve the fence issue before putting up the new one? I dont think he can do anything if he's decided to just go ahead and put up a new fence himself, you would need to try an resolve the issue first by either your mum repairing it or by coming to a agreement about a new fence if it couldn't be repaired

Whatever you do DO NOT hand over money, it's clear he's trying to scare your mother into handing him money, if she is starting to feel threatened then I suggest getting authorities involved, is it a council home? If so go to the council asap, if not then get the police involved, unfortunately your mother may not want to do all this but he's threatening her an it needs to be dealt with, keep a note of EVERYTHING as well, when the fence went up, anything he's posting, a diary of threats he's making, the more you can hand over to authoritys the quicker they can help, an record everything too, if he comes to the door then record it

It might also be worth your mother going to other neighbours who are being threatened as well, the more that come together an report it the more it helps

Who has legal responsibility for maintaining that fence according to the title deeds? If it was a 20 year old fence and it was damaged then it may be your mother's responsibility (although that doesn't mean she has to pay up for the fence he has chosen to put up).

It's not necessarily the case they trespassed (a civil matter), they could have unscrewed the fence panel and attached the signs that way.

Personally I'd probably deal with it by erecting my own fence right next to it just inside the boundary line. It would cost money but then there's no need to deal with them over the fence issue, regardless of who is responsible, either she is and has dealt with it by erecting her own or he is and he's put up his own fence).

Who has legal responsibility for maintaining that fence according to the title deeds? If it was a 20 year old fence and it was damaged then it may be your mother's responsibility (although that doesn't mean she has to pay up for the fence he has chosen to put up).

It's not necessarily the case they trespassed (a civil matter), they could have unscrewed the fence panel and attached the signs that way.

Personally I'd probably deal with it by erecting my own fence right next to it just inside the boundary line. It would cost money but then there's no need to deal with them over the fence issue, regardless of who is responsible, either she is and has dealt with it by erecting her own or he is and he's put up his own fence).
According to the title deeds it’s his fence and his responsibility - he purchased the property in December and nothing has changed in those 9 months in terms of damage to the fence.

If it's in the title deeds that's it's his an his responsibility then he cannot ask for money, threatening her is bullying an harassment so I'd keep a note of it all for reporting if it gets worse

Don’t wait to report it. The police won’t deal with issues that happened weeks/months ago. This is what happened to us. The police told us we should have been reporting things as they happened - not waiting for an escalation.
You could report on your mothers behalf. Definitely explain there is a potential for violence.
Don’t retaliate. Record everything you can on audio/ video. Definitely get CCTV

He sounds unhinged - I also thought the fence had to face the other way if you own it? Essentially if he owns the fence, the good side should face your mums garden.

Am about to have a nervous breakdown due to my neighbours neglect of her German Shepherd dog. She doesn't work, stays in bed all day, dog is downstairs, not allowed upstairs because he's got muddy feet and she has carpet up there. Working from home was not my choice but I have to do it. Maybe I'll find some support in this thread as no authority wants to do anything

Am about to have a nervous breakdown due to my neighbours neglect of her German Shepherd dog. She doesn't work, stays in bed all day, dog is downstairs, not allowed upstairs because he's got muddy feet and she has carpet up there. Working from home was not my choice but I have to do it. Maybe I'll find some support in this thread as no authority wants to do anything
There is a dedicated thread for bad neighbours https://tattle.life/threads/odd-neighbours-neighbour-problems-3.37322/ you might find some help there

But what is it exactly that is causing you angst about this situation? loads of people don't let their animals in the bedroom and millions are alone all day while owners are at work. You have to have more information if it's causing you grief enough to try to get the authorities involved.

There is a dedicated thread for bad neighbours https://tattle.life/threads/odd-neighbours-neighbour-problems-3.37322/ you might find some help there

But what is it exactly that is causing you angst about this situation? loads of people don't let their animals in the bedroom and millions are alone all day while owners are at work. You have to have more information if it's causing you grief enough to try to get the authorities involved.
What is this thread about then?