Home Schooling show offs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have two at high school and one Yr 4. Today the older two (girl and boy) got on and done what they needed to do but youngest done a bit in the morning then helped me in the garden. It's like a competition for some parents!!! Would love to see the behind the scenes of the lovely pictures and videos. I can help my kids get through this but Iam no teacher and won't pretend to be better than my kids teacher's with university degrees, years of training and experience.

Reactions: 3
I can say....all this staying at home malarky is making me fat. Home baking ... Cos that's one of the lessons . Living in house clothes because my buttons are also socially distancing....

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I've always home educated my kids. I think some people - like me - have a more anxious personality and think we need to be perfect. I wish the more uptight parents could relax and just enjoy this once in a lifetime experience as much as they can. We don't know what will happen but we did know nobody will get prizes for doing the most busy work. Home education won't be the same as school and nor should it in my opinion.

Reactions: 7
Oh thank heavens. I came here contemplating writing an essay on the Covid support thread because today my anxieties have been through the roof. I'm not sleeping well and when I do I'm dreaming about food shortages and bleeping home schooling. 😬

I have worked in schools, spent years at a special needs residential school but teaching my own kids in my own home seems impossible right now.

Well meaning do-gooders keep adding me to FB groups so that I can check in daily to see all the smug pricks and their lesson ideas. Honestly, it's exhausting. I will set work for my kids and I will ensure that they don't regress during this time off but, fgs, how do they expect to maintain this daily grind for what could be months? So far my kids have mastered Minecraft and will shortly be graduating in YouTube 😂 Joke*

I will order some age appropriate workbooks this week. I've printed off worksheets and I'm trying not to beat myself up when the kids end up back on the iPad instead of reading a book. I wish people could just admit that this isn't easy and also consider the effect this will have on the children. Sorry for the rant. It's been simmering all week 😂

*not joking

Is 'homeschooling' the new Hinching? Are we going to get cupboards full of crafting supplies and stationery?
I'm just finding, like with Hinching, these parents seem to have all the tick lists and equipment but doing the equivalent of wiping over with Zoflora to make it look good!
5 children, most of us have been ill. I have been so driven by the learning through play...the children were just getting bored, sometimes playing with Lego doesn't need to be about counting and just letting them play Fortnite is easier all round. One week down and I am just focusing on getting better over being a week behind.

Reactions: 9
We have a group chat for the parents , just to communicate lost pe kits or I’ve got little johnnys jumper. There’s a few on there , just make it fun guys ! We have done all the assigned work by 12 . Afternoon is fun educational crafts , baking and secluded walks .
Me over where 12 pm still out pjs arguing with my six year old , that’s it’s not homework and we have to do it . While my 4 year old runs riot and I catch my 2 year old drawing on my wall.
The group watsapps are bad at the best of times but good grief it's in overdrive right now. We have one mum who keeps popping up apologising for not being chatty lately. Literally nobody noticed you dozy clown. We are all far to busy in our own burning worlds of hell.

Ahhh sorry. Better out than in. I'll feel bad for this in the morning.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Don't worry about them. Those who are posting so much are generally lacking in something elsewhere so they need to post for likes for validation

Oh thank heavens. I came here contemplating writing an essay on the Covid support thread because today my anxieties have been through the roof. I'm not sleeping well and when I do I'm dreaming about food shortages and bleeping home schooling. 😬

I have worked in schools, spent years at a special needs residential school but teaching my own kids in my own home seems impossible right now.

Well meaning do-gooders keep adding me to FB groups so that I can check in daily to see all the smug pricks and their lesson ideas. Honestly, it's exhausting. I will set work for my kids and I will ensure that they don't regress during this time off but, fgs, how do they expect to maintain this daily grind for what could be months? So far my kids have mastered Minecraft and will shortly be graduating in YouTube 😂 Joke*

I will order some age appropriate workbooks this week. I've printed off worksheets and I'm trying not to beat myself up when the kids end up back on the iPad instead of reading a book. I wish people could just admit that this isn't easy and also consider the effect this will have on the children. Sorry for the rant. It's been simmering all week 😂

*not joking
I very nearly vented on the support thread last night. I couldn't find it though, even in the search bar. Instead I ended up being a bit scathing about someone's friend on the general Convid thread. Spent all morning feeling bad about it though.

I'm back to scathing and irritable tonight though. Maybe it's a new pattern. 🤷‍♀️

Your take on teaching has made me feel better too. Thanks.

ETA so many typos, so little concentration span. Agh.

Reactions: 4
Yep have one of those in Facebook. Been ‘friends’ since infant school but drifted apart over the years.
her dc are much younger than mine and she’s usually a sahm so she has much more time than me who is still working two jobs so leaving the house daily and leaving my 14 and 18 at home to get on with school and college work while I go to work to mind children of key workers despite that not even being my job. (I work in school finance and exams) plus saturdays at a supermarket where we are busier than ever.

Don't worry about them. Those who are posting so much are generally lacking in something elsewhere so they need to post for likes for validation
Agreed. They are usually #proud when their cherub gets star of the week. We all know the SOTW is on a rota system - everyone gets it!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The group watsapps are bad at the best of times but good grief it's in overdrive right now. We have one mum who keeps popping up apologising for not being chatty lately. Literally nobody noticed you dozy clown. We are all far to busy in our own burning worlds of hell.

Ahhh sorry. Better out than in. I'll feel bad for this in the morning.
We have one who’s a year 11 teacher . She’s keeps posting inspirational shite . And how let’s make it fun guys ! I’m like mate my kids would be having fun , if I let them watch Disney plus all day and play on the iPad .

Reactions: 5
Oh god this x1000!!

There’s a mum account on instagram which I can’t mention as she’s private I think and under 10K but she takes stories of everything she does, even turning on plug sockets (yep, really!!!) and she is doing my fecking head in! Posting a routine everyday when one of her children is like 8 months old.
Oooh look at me! Today we’ve done 502093 craft activities hehe!

Let’s see how brilliant these mums are in August when we’re all still stuck inside and their perfect children have turned into demons from doing too many craft activities.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Sick of hearing about people banging on about home schooling their kids and find out they are two or three years old.🤬
mate, they don't even GO to school yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Some of these "celebrities" like Fearne COtton and her ilk being very priggish about this lockdown, she has plenty of time to home school her kids as she has plenty of cash in the bank not to worry about having to go to work or pay the mortgage. She goes for a run apparently before the kids wake up and then does Yoga while they eat breakfast followed by schooling and she went and did shopping for an elderly neighbour, gosh!!! Wonder what her cleaning lady is up to? She must miss the wage?

Reactions: 2
I am glad for the work that has been set by the school as it stops the prospect of a whole day where I have to come up with things to stop my kids sitting on each others heads, asking me what they can eat or just running through the house making high pitched screeching noises 🤯 But here are some good tips I have learnt this week.

There is a video on YouTube for everything (I suppose I already knew that)
Times tables - YouTube, counting in French - YouTube, What's a noun - You Tube

Newsround - TV but educational
National Geographic channel on Disney+ - See above

Making treasure hunts for each other in the house = writing/reading/art
Playing shop keeper = maths
Emailing their friends = Writing

Video chat on FB messanger lets them wear filters and play little games with their friends and keeps them amused for long periods of time.

Lunch break can be longer than an hour !

Im taking it all very easy. My son completes his work independently then I check it over (hes 11) no schedules or anything like that. Ive had family members getting so stressed out about having to teach their children. No one is expecting parents to teach their children. The work set should be work that they have already worked on and can complete. I personally would ensure children are keeping up with reading everyday ask questions to check comprehension and basic maths skills.

The work I have set my students is mostly comprehension work.

Reactions: 4
Im taking it all very easy. My son completes his work independently then I check it over (hes 11) no schedules or anything like that. Ive had family members getting so stressed out about having to teach their children. No one is expecting parents to teach their children. The work set should be work that they have already worked on and can complete. I personally would ensure children are keeping up with reading everyday ask questions to check comprehension and basic maths skills.

The work I have set my students is mostly comprehension work.
Sounds very sensible and productive to me

Reactions: 2
Yep!! Sick of seeing it. We have some worksheets and signed up to an online maths thing but I'm just going with what my daugther wants to do. She's only 5 so no stress, as long as sheds not just sat watching crap on YouTube all day I'm happy.