Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey @heygirlhey2022 Ive been to Mexico before - personally wouldn’t recommend Cancun, you might be best staying in Puerto Del Carmen or Riviera Maya as they are much better. There’s loads to do, defo recommend Chichen Itza, as you mentioned the cenotes are great and defo worth doing, if you like adventure/activities then look at Xel Ha and Xcaret as they are great days out. There’s some ruins in Tulum, Tulum is lovely but I wouldn’t necessarily say you need to stay there as believe there price can be a bit expensive in comparison but it would be cheap enough to visit and spend time at. My boyfriends been to St Lucia and absolutely loved it so whatever you pick will be lovely! I just guess think about what you want most from the place and then decide x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hey @heygirlhey2022 Ive been to Mexico before - personally wouldn’t recommend Cancun, you might be best staying in Puerto Del Carmen or Riviera Maya as they are much better. There’s loads to do, defo recommend Chichen Itza, as you mentioned the cenotes are great and defo worth doing, if you like adventure/activities then look at Xel Ha and Xcaret as they are great days out. There’s some ruins in Tulum, Tulum is lovely but I wouldn’t necessarily say you need to stay there as believe there price can be a bit expensive in comparison but it would be cheap enough to visit and spend time at. My boyfriends been to St Lucia and absolutely loved it so whatever you pick will be lovely! I just guess think about what you want most from the place and then decide x
thank you! This is useful .. yes I’ve heard of Xcaret too , I’ll deffo check it out, had a quick look yesterday.
Ill look into the places you suggested.. so you suggested staying in Puerto del Carmen/Riviera throughout? I’ve heard Riviera May is beautiful also and Chicken Itza.

i was exploring the idea of a yacht day trip from Cancun to Isla Mujeres so staying in Cancun for a couple of days worked with the logistics of that…

i think I’m deffo sold on Tulum, I think the vibes and some activities there would be a lovely chill finish to end the trip

thank you! This is useful .. yes I’ve heard of Xcaret too , I’ll deffo check it out, had a quick look yesterday.
Ill look into the places you suggested.. so you suggested staying in Puerto del Carmen/Riviera throughout? I’ve heard Riviera May is beautiful also and Chicken Itza.

i was exploring the idea of a yacht day trip from Cancun to Isla Mujeres so staying in Cancun for a couple of days worked with the logistics of that…

i think I’m deffo sold on Tulum, I think the vibes and some activities there would be a lovely chill finish to end the trip
We stayed in Grand Sirenis Resort and Spa in Riviera Maya, it had loads of activities, we had a large lazy river, we did a bike tour and played other sports - we were really near to Xel Ha which was great fun and has like zip wiring etc and I think Xcaret is similar but with like quad biking and a couple of other bits (my boyfriends done this one)
We were also very close to Tulum so I’d say save the money but staying in one place and doing day trips there etc
Chichen Itza is going to be far away wherever you stay, it’s normally an early morning trip but some people like to go at evening time cos I think there is maybe lights?

We went into Playa Del Carmen (sorry I called it Puerta that’s tenerife i think 🤣) twice for some shopping, to see it and to get food at Senor Frogs - it’s worth a trip - not sure what it’s like to stay in though

Isla Mujeres and Cozumel are beautiful 😍

As others have said Cancun is very man made - I’m not sure how safe it’s classed as now as cartel are apparently in charge or so I’d heard so double check that haha! There’s coco bongos, but I’d say outside of Cancun is much nicer and better area

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We stayed in Grand Sirenis Resort and Spa in Riviera Maya, it had loads of activities, we had a large lazy river, we did a bike tour and played other sports - we were really near to Xel Ha which was great fun and has like zip wiring etc and I think Xcaret is similar but with like quad biking and a couple of other bits (my boyfriends done this one)
We were also very close to Tulum so I’d say save the money but staying in one place and doing day trips there etc
Chichen Itza is going to be far away wherever you stay, it’s normally an early morning trip but some people like to go at evening time cos I think there is maybe lights?

We went into Playa Del Carmen (sorry I called it Puerta that’s tenerife i think 🤣) twice for some shopping, to see it and to get food at Senor Frogs - it’s worth a trip - not sure what it’s like to stay in though

Isla Mujeres and Cozumel are beautiful 😍

As others have said Cancun is very man made - I’m not sure how safe it’s classed as now as cartel are apparently in charge or so I’d heard so double check that haha! There’s coco bongos, but I’d say outside of Cancun is much nicer and better area
this Is really useful! Thank you!
It’s interesting because when I was looking at packages , and was speaking to an agent on the phone, it came up with a place in Riviera Maya for tulum.. it makes sense that it’s because it’s very close.

and yes Isla Mujeres and Cozumel deffo on the list!

is there anything you’d recommend/suggest for the bday day itself based on your time there?

I think a lot of you need to relax on this thread. There is no need to call me a snob and ignorant. If I don’t want to go to Europe, I don’t want to go to Europe . It is really that simple. If I say “I find Europe boring and I have also enjoyed holidays in Europe” that is my opinion and my experience. You do not need to be offended and personally attacked. You are rude as hell.

that is totally fine about Cancun, I’m still planning whether I actually want to go there, or just Tulum and explore places in Mexico.

i also didn’t plan to just do “beach holidays” for my 30th. Whether I went to St Lucia for the body holiday or Mexico, or wherever else I decide I was going to fully explore and enjoy the holiday and not just sit on the beach.
And if I did decide to that, and still said I find Europe boring then so be it. Relax

hey hey, thanks.It was very condescending, and that’s why I chose not to respond.
Totally agree with everything else you said, re: MEXiCO, still exploring my options. I’m going to extend it to at least 10 days, and I might leave Cancun out and instead do Playa de Carmen (although I’ve heard mixed things), might go to Cozumel for a few nights on my way to Tulum, and also there are other places that have been suggested and I’ve comes across from my research that I’m thinking of incorporating.
I’m really excited to visit tulum, it’s absolutely stunning and I’ve heard great things.
Might do Cancun/Playa de C x Cozumel x Tulum depending

we’ll see!
I agree, there is no need for name calling - but you must see how dismissing an entire continent is definitely a tad ignorant? And I mean that in the truest sense of the word - 'lacking knowledge or awareness in general.'

There are 44 countries in Europe. To state that they are all boring is in fact ignorant.

Reactions: 10
this Is really useful! Thank you!
It’s interesting because when I was looking at packages , and was speaking to an agent on the phone, it came up with a place in Riviera Maya for tulum.. it makes sense that it’s because it’s very close.

and yes Isla Mujeres and Cozumel deffo on the list!

is there anything you’d recommend/suggest for the bday day itself based on your time there?
Sorry remind me what type of thing you’d be after for your actual birthday day?

Sorry remind me what type of thing you’d be after for your actual birthday day?
still deciding and researching! but I’m pretty open!
originally i was thinking to do a private yacht day trip sailing to Isla de Mujeres with lunch a few stops to swim and snorkel,back by sunset and do something in the evening/night , like a nice dinner with drinks get dressed up etc etc

OR possibly like activity day - like action-packed so like horse riding through the Mayan jungle, zip lining, quad biking , Cenote swimming (although may save this for Tulum), lunch, with a flexible gap before something in the evening/night -

still researching but these are my options so far, although I’m still to look properly into Xcaret and Cozumel …
I’ve come across a few lovely things in Tulum but not sure if I want to spend my bday day there, and think it’s best saved for the latter end of the trip due to it’s vibes

I just think it's so unfair I don't have the money to go on holiday wherever and anywhere I want, y'know?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Arrived in Fuerteventura today. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably for the southern area

Hello.. help! 🤣 I’ll be celebrating my 30th birthday next year in March…and I’m torn between St Lucia and Mexico!
7 nights for both

St Lucia - would be the wellness retreat The Body Holiday

Mexico I was thinking to go to both Cancun and Tulum - Cancun first 4 days , have a day to explore + beach day, a day for activities - horse riding, zip lining, quad biking, cenote swimming, a yacht day trip on my bday , then Tulum- a beach club day with massages, and a day for flexible exploring…

Torn. I originally wanted to go to an absolutely lovely wellness retreat in Bali - this is my number 1 choice but their restrictions make that difficult right now… kinda gutted.

What do you think?
Bali is awful. Visited in 2018 on a cruise and was very disappointed. Overcrowded, needed updating, but could see that years back it could have been lovely. Now outdated, cracked flags, and old unkempt buildings.

Bali is awful. Visited in 2018 on a cruise and was very disappointed. Overcrowded, needed updating, but could see that years back it could have been lovely. Now outdated, cracked flags, and old unkempt buildings.
I liked Bali but it didn’t live up to my expectations either. I thought Thailand was more beautiful and the food in Thailand was much better

Reactions: 2
I liked Bali but it didn’t live up to my expectations either. I thought Thailand was more beautiful and the food in Thailand was much better
My daughter (25 ) has been living in Bali for just over a year now....she lives and works in Canngu which is where a lot of visitors seem to gravitate towards ....she has noticed it's got so much busier recently and prices have shot up! .....the local's businesses were andecimated by the pandemic, so they're desperate to claw back their livelihood
however she frequently visits less "popular " off the road places for weekends away and there are definitely beautiful places to visit which are not tourist traps, but from her photos the beaches don't look at quintessential tropical as Thailand that I know
However she says The Gili islands are worth a visit if you have the time
i haven't been yet but hoping to visit in next 12-18 months.....however I have been to Thailand twice (Koh Samui and Koh Phangan- to the less busy and v beautiful N E of the island )....the scenery is incredible one trip we went on was a boat trip to An Thong marine park , definitely worth it....love the food, ( although not too hot!) and especially the seafood! Would love to visit mainland and west of country, However, we're off to The Maldives in a month and I can't wait! (been postponed twice due to pandemic and haven't been abroad in 3 years!

My daughter (25 ) has been living in Bali for just over a year now....she lives and works in Canngu which is where a lot of visitors seem to gravitate towards ....she has noticed it's got so much busier recently and prices have shot up! .....the local's businesses were andecimated by the pandemic, so they're desperate to claw back their livelihood
however she frequently visits less "popular " off the road places for weekends away and there are definitely beautiful places to visit which are not tourist traps, but from her photos the beaches don't look at quintessential tropical as Thailand that I know
However she says The Gili islands are worth a visit if you have the time
i haven't been yet but hoping to visit in next 12-18 months.....however I have been to Thailand twice (Koh Samui and Koh Phangan- to the less busy and v beautiful N E of the island )....the scenery is incredible one trip we went on was a boat trip to An Thong marine park , definitely worth it....love the food, ( although not too hot!) and especially the seafood! Would love to visit mainland and west of country, However, we're off to The Maldives in a month and I can't wait! (been postponed twice due to pandemic and haven't been abroad in 3 years!
I did go to Gili T and a day visit to Gili Air, I’d say Gili T was probably my favourite place I went in Bali. I think I like the small islands as Koh PhiPhi in Thailand was my favourite place I went in Thailand, I think (harder to pick favourite place in Thailand). I want to definitely go back to Thailand maybe next year still undecided where to go. I want to do the north and do a small jungle trek - although I prefer beaches but I can get 3 weeks off work at a time so I think it’ll be enough to do a bit of both. I just don’t know whether to ask my friend to come, I’d rather go alone and I know she won’t be able to do the trek due to health but also she’ll probably be mad if I don’t ask her. But if I do ask her she’ll probably want to come but change plans on what activities I want to do so she can come. May go the year after as this year I’d probably have to go in June which I don’t think is a great time to go so maybe early 2023 🤔
I normally always get car/seasick but that never happen in Thailand for some reason, so maybe that’s another reason I preferred it. My plan before covid was to go traveling but with not knowing how long it would be before I could travel freely without risking quarantine I bought a house and now I regret it.

Last edited:
I did go to Gili T and a day visit to Gili Air, I’d say Gili T was probably my favourite place I went in Bali. I think I like the small islands as Koh PhiPhi in Thailand was my favourite place I went in Thailand, I think (harder to pick favourite place in Thailand). I want to definitely go back to Thailand maybe next year still undecided where to go. I want to do the north and do a small jungle trek - although I prefer beaches but I can get 3 weeks off work at a time so I think it’ll be enough to do a bit of both. I just don’t know whether to ask my friend to come, I’d rather go alone and I know she won’t be able to do the trek due to health but also she’ll probably be mad if I don’t ask her. But if I do ask her she’ll probably want to come but change plans on what activities I want to do so she can come. May go the year after as this year I’d probably have to go in June which I don’t think is a great time to go so maybe early 2023 🤔
I normally always get car/seasick but that never happen in Thailand for some reason, so maybe that’s another reason I preferred it.
We went in July and September, so chose east coast places as were wanting to avoid monsoon weather in West at that time , so make sure you take this into account when planning your trip.....early in year sounds like it would be good time for your adventire and maybe you could do trek and friend could join you afterwords ?
We did a Thai cookery lesson and had a great time going to the market and seeing all the exotic looking fruit and vegetables as well as strange looking fish!....I also particularly liked spending time in the spa and treating myself to some incredible massages!
....however would love to go to Chang Mai and Krabi or Khao Lak
Our daughter went to an elephant rescue sanctuary near Chang Mai ( which is ethical) and had a wonderful day caring for the elephants who had been mistreated by previous owners / abused for tourist reasons
I'd also love to go to Costa Rica ! ....in fact so many places I'd love to go ( daughter has inherited my travel genes and has been to several S American countries already )
I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years, so will have more time to travel ....just hope I have the health and money to do some more adventures!

We went in July and September, so chose east coast places as were wanting to avoid monsoon weather in West at that time , so make sure you take this into account when planning your trip.....early in year sounds like it would be good time for your adventire and maybe you could do trek and friend could join you afterwords ?
We did a Thai cookery lesson and had a great time going to the market and seeing all the exotic looking fruit and vegetables as well as strange looking fish!....I also particularly liked spending time in the spa and treating myself to some incredible massages!
....however would love to go to Chang Mai and Krabi or Khao Lak
Our daughter went to an elephant rescue sanctuary near Chang Mai ( which is ethical) and had a wonderful day caring for the elephants who had been mistreated by previous owners / abused for tourist reasons
I'd also love to go to Costa Rica ! ....in fact so many places I'd love to go ( daughter has inherited my travel genes and has been to several S American countries already )
I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years, so will have more time to travel ....just hope I have the health and money to do some more adventures!
Just realised I meant early 2024 (so far away 😭). Although depends what happens with my cars MOT next month. Tbh I think I’d enjoy it more on my own as my friend can be moody and complains a lot, went away with her for a few days last month and I couldn’t wait to come home. But then our other holiday in May was great. She normally can only be out a few hours a day and I just want to do more! It’s just I feel bad booking to go alone when we usually go away together.
I agree the Thai cooking class we did was great and the food was amazing.
Costa Rica would be amazing. I’d love to go as well I did look at going but I’d have to waste a day there and back traveling to London for the flights so I’d rather go somewhere I can a flight from Manchester easier. Machu Picchu would be a cool place to visit I know somewhere to went recently and they said it’s the best place they’ve been. Other places I’d love to go are the Galápagos Islands. I’d also love to go Everest base camp as I was obsessed with watching TV series/movies about Everest, although I’d have to get fit for that 😂
Hope it all goes well for you!

Aah interesting, we are looking for Thailand for next summer…with kids but 11/13 so need good family activities too? I know absolutely nothing about it so where do I start?! Will be Aug.

Aah interesting, we are looking for Thailand for next summer…with kids but 11/13 so need good family activities too? I know absolutely nothing about it so where do I start?! Will be Aug.
At that time of the year Koh Samui. Andaman Coast (Krabi, Phuket etc) will be wet. I would recommend Bali over Thailand for that time if the year, there's plenty for kids waterpark etc.

What have everyone’s experiences of delayed/lost luggage been recently? Ours got left at Vienna on Sunday and world tracer says ‘continuing to trace’. There were really sentimentally valuable things in our case and things compensation won’t cover. I’m really anxious about it and hoping to get an idea of what to expect from others. Thanks in advance!

• Heart
What have everyone’s experiences of delayed/lost luggage been recently? Ours got left at Vienna on Sunday and world tracer says ‘continuing to trace’. There were really sentimentally valuable things in our case and things compensation won’t cover. I’m really anxious about it and hoping to get an idea of what to expect from others. Thanks in advance!

This is a fear I have every time we fly. As soon as our cases come on the conveyor belt I can relax. Did you tie anything around your case to make it easily distinguishable? Can you ask your travel agent to get involved in the search? I feel for you, and hope your case is soon recovered. 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.