Hen Do Horror Stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had to go to a hen party with my mum - I'm not joking! It was a complete nightmare and regretted going. I use to be a ''friend'' with someone who would only hang out with me if her mum and mine would come as well, took me a while to realize she wasn't a friend after all.

Reactions: 3
Reading through this thread I’m grateful I refused to have a hen do. Nightmares.

Reactions: 9
I had to go to a hen party with my mum - I'm not joking! It was a complete nightmare and regretted going. I use to be a ''friend'' with someone who would only hang out with me if her mum and mine would come as well, took me a while to realize she wasn't a friend after all.
I ended up at an Anne Summers party with my MIL, not once but TWICE 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I ended up at an Anne Summers party with my MIL, not once but TWICE 😬
I was at one where during a game, the bride and her mother were asked to act out the brides favourite sex position. The worst part was they both seemed more comfortable doing it than everyone else watching it

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I've got a large family and all my cousins are mostly females, so I've been bridesmaid 6 times! Weird thing is I'm only really close to 2 of them but it's almost like in my family they think if you're a female you must be asked to be a bridesmaid.

Problem is, I'm the youngest - so they'll all expect to be bridesmaid for me when I get married (they've already expressed this) and they've all now had children too so will expect their children to be flowergirls too! One of my cousins was infuriated when the other cousin didn't ask her twins to be flower girls (despite the fact the bride had her own 2 doing it!). I think it's ridiculous that people think they can be entitled to be part of your bridal party, but whatever, that seems to be the status quo in my family!

This thread has made me think eloping and not telling anyone is the best way! I am very different to my cousins, who are all big drinkers - I don't drink at all. So I know if they did organise me a hen it would be something I'd absolutely hate!

Of all the hen do's I've been on, the thing that sticks in my mind is always how expensive it ends up being! You always get quoted £X amount then it just seems to keep creeping up and up and up. I'm always more than happy to chip in extra to pay for the bride, but it always just ends up in being a massive expense for something that isn't even that enjoyable!

The worst one was when we went to a theme park 4 hours from where we live - I was designated driver due to not being a drinker (we had an overnight stay so we could go out too) and not one person offered to chip in for fuel!
Oh god this makes me sooooo glad we had a tiny tiny wedding. We both have big families but we aren’t close to cousins etc. I invited them to the evening but that was it. Ceremony was small with immediate family only and I had my sister in law and best friend as bridesmaids. I had a small hen do too, I’m not one for fuss and not a big drinker either so we had a nice meal with close friends and family then drinks afterwards, not a single dick straw in sight…

I honestly think family members who get sour about how you plan your own wedding and who you want to be involved are mental. You do you!

Reactions: 9
I’m sorry used someone else’s toothbrush 🤢🤢🤢🤢 what is wrong with people 😫😫

My hen do we could only have 6 of us (sept last year so rule of 6 in bars etc). It was so lovely having such a small group! I’ve been on a few hen dos with 15 plus guests and it’s too much
Sounds perfect to me! Though think I'd struggle to find 5 others if I'm honest 🤣

• Haha
There were really awkward games where we had to discuss our embarrassing sex stories (learned far more about my mother than I bargained for that night 🤣)
I was at one where during a game, the bride and her mother were asked to act out the brides favourite sex position. The worst part was they both seemed more comfortable doing it than everyone else watching it
Being in a setting where there was sexual talk, banter or games in a setting with a parent or parent-in-law for me would be just...no! I'm male and I wouldn't be at ease with stuff like that when at an event with my father - and even less so my mother!

The hen I went to tonight was ok actually, I had a good time. Felt nice to be around people. No cringe games. Kept my resting witch face in check.

What was funny was hearing people witch about someone and then 15minutes later they’re taking selfie’s together and uploading them to Facebook acting like best mates. It really hit me how fake social media is. Like when you see those pictures where women are all stood side by side, the reality is they probably don’t all get along as well as they make out on SM🤣 it’s the real life interactions that count.

Reactions: 14
It's like brides forget that a hen party is for them, and not a wonderful day of fun that they've put on for the enjoyment of others (especially when they're paying for it!!). Almost no one would otherwise opt for an overscheduled weekend of forced fun, usually with a lot of strangers spanning different age ranges. Adults are busy, most with little time and even less money to spare - especially when kids are involved - and IMO it's a big ask to expect people to give up another weekend for another celebration day for your wedding.

I have a friend that became friends with a couple in her apartment block - which is nice and not always easy as you get older - having not known the bride for long she was taken aback to be invited to her hen celebrations, which consisted of a 'hag' barbecue (fine), local hen night out do with both family and friends (bit awkward but okay) and a friends boozy weekend away. She's dreading the weekend away as she's not known the bride for that long and knows no one else going, never mind the expense. She even tried to decline as the trip clashed with her boyfriend's birthday and she changed the date!!

She doesn't know what to do now as she's being chased for deposits and what not and the cost just keeps climbing. She's thinking of just writing the money off and pulling the COVID card nearer the date but it just seems so insane!! She feels bad to flake and is convinced that the bride will be fuming if she doesn't go and the friendship probably over. I've told her that she shouldn't feel bad as her invite isn't really about wanting to spend time with her - sounds mean but it's true - the bride just wants to bulk up numbers for her own enjoyment and so she looks more popular on the gram. The whole attitude around hen dos needs to change tbh - with brides realising that those who are attending are doing you a favour not the other way around

Reactions: 19
The whole attitude around hen dos needs to change tbh - with brides realising that those who are attending are doing you a favour not the other way around
Funny you should say this, I’m getting married next year and I’ve already been grilled on my hen do plans (by my friends, who won’t even be my bridesmaids🤔). I’ve had the emotional turmoil of postponing due to Covid and haven’t given my hen do a second thought.. couldn’t care less about it at the moment 😅 I think the problem is everyone has their idea what a hen do should be, but they don’t usually agree!

Reactions: 7
So my friend had her hen do weekend on the August bank holiday. Her original hen do weekend was postponed then eventually cancelled and luckily I got a refund for what I had paid.

Her new hen do consisted of;

Friday - garden party at her parents
Saturday - afternoon out in London drinking
Sunday - Meal
Monday - Afternoon tea

Luckily we could choose what days we wanted to go to, so I just opted for the meal (although I ended up not going due to a stomach bug).

Anyway apparently it all kicked off on the Saturday. A group of the brides ‘friends’ (most are partners of the grooms friends so they kind of defaulted to being friends) decided to get the train into London instead of going with everyone else on the mini bus. When it was time to leave, the bride suggested they go back to her parents as there was still drinks/food left over from the night before. This group of women said they weren’t going to do that and we’re going to stay out in London instead. My friend then got upset as she felt they weren’t thinking of her and the reason they were out celebrating. When her bridesmaids tried to calm her down, she refused to speak to anyone and was still upset on the Sunday.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
So my friend had her hen do weekend on the August bank holiday. Her original hen do weekend was postponed then eventually cancelled and luckily I got a refund for what I had paid.

Her new hen do consisted of;

Friday - garden party at her parents
Saturday - afternoon out in London drinking
Sunday - Meal
Monday - Afternoon tea

Luckily we could choose what days we wanted to go to, so I just opted for the meal (although I ended up not going due to a stomach bug).

Anyway apparently it all kicked off on the Saturday. A group of the brides ‘friends’ (most are partners of the grooms friends so they kind of defaulted to being friends) decided to get the train into London instead of going with everyone else on the mini bus. When it was time to leave, the bride suggested they go back to her parents as there was still drinks/food left over from the night before. This group of women said they weren’t going to do that and we’re going to stay out in London instead. My friend then got upset as she felt they weren’t thinking of her and the reason they were out celebrating. When her bridesmaids tried to calm her down, she refused to speak to anyone and was still upset on the Sunday.
I can kind of see her point though!

Reactions: 4
The most recent one I went to was just so expensive, costs kept going up with more and more things added! It was the money for the weekend away, then 'oh can everyone chip in another £20 for xyz' 'can you all send me another tenner' etc, so annoying!

Reactions: 1
God some of these! I'm so sorry for some of you! The sheer brass neck of some people.

I've always said no to hen dos, not my thing. I'm awkward enough as it is, a group of people I don't know is even worse.

I had a lovely hen do. I took 5 of my mates out for a lovely meal then went to a nightclub after. Then I got really drunk, fell backwards and whacked my head on the kerb and ended up with concussion. It was good before that bit though.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I can kind of see her point though!
Who would want to go back to someone’s parents’ house for an “after party” when you’ve been out drinking 🥴? Just go back with your real mates if you want the leftovers.

Glad I’ve never been on one of these do’s, sounds like a lot of brides-to-be are testing how high you’ll jump.

Reactions: 5
I got invited to a work colleagues hen do about 5 years ago and it was obviously to make up numbers but I knew a couple of the other girls who would be there so I thought I’d do the decent thing and go. The theme was to wear something pink 🤢. We got the train to the city centre. Upon arrival we discovered the only things that were organised was the hotel and dinner that night! We ended up having lunch in McDonalds then everyone debated what they would do for the afternoon. Myself and one of the other girls decided we would go shopping, get our makeup done and have a few cocktails and we were all to meet back at the hotel at 5.30pm. We got to the hotel and discovered there were 3 of us sharing a room in a crappy budget ibis hotel and you couldn’t swing a cat in the room. The bathroom door was see through so no privacy whatsoever. The bunk beds were kids IKEA bunk beds. We met in the bride’s room then went downstairs to go for dinner. No one had organised transport to the restaurant or knew where it was. I had to organise several taxis to get us there as her sisters and bridesmaids were complete hillbillies and hadn’t a clue.
We got to the restaurant and we were the only ones in the place on a Saturday night. The food was rank, everyone complained about it. The cocktails were like ice cream sundaes and 4 of us were sitting at one end of the table thinking wtf!
The bride wanted to go out for proper cocktails after dinner but nobody knew where to go. I suggested a few places and the majority of them hmmed and haad. The bride then decided we should go back to hotel - this was at 8pm. They drank blue WKD in the room then decided they would go out but nobody could decide where to go. The bride asked me where we could go. I listed a number of places and they all stood round and debated what to do. There was a great bar right beside the hotel but the brides sisters all said they didn’t want to go there. The bride eventually decided we would go to a nightclub. By this stage the hotel manager had taken pity on us and was also recommending places to go. He told the bride it was too early to go to the nightclub as it was around 9 by this time and there were some lovely bars in the cathedral quarter that would be perfect. He organised taxis for us and we headed there. Once we got there the bride decided we would go straight to the nightclub. The place was dead!! By this stage nobody could be arsed and everyone was sitting around and her sisters were moaning that we should have stayed in the room drinking!! 20 of us crammed into a room. The hotel didn’t have an alcohol licence so no bar. We stayed in the nightclub until it closed then went back to the hotel. A couple of us got chatting to some of the residents and finally had a bit of craic and entertainment. The next morning myself and the two girls I was sharing with got up for breakfast only to be told there was no breakfast and we we’re getting the next train home! No thought, no planning and no communication! Worst hen do I’ve ever been on. Best of it was that only 7 people who attended her hen do were invited to the wedding. I could have had a nice relaxing weekend at home rather than being bored out of my skull

• Wow
Reactions: 15
I got invited to a work colleagues hen do about 5 years ago and it was obviously to make up numbers but I knew a couple of the other girls who would be there so I thought I’d do the decent thing and go. The theme was to wear something pink 🤢. We got the train to the city centre. Upon arrival we discovered the only things that were organised was the hotel and dinner that night! We ended up having lunch in McDonalds then everyone debated what they would do for the afternoon. Myself and one of the other girls decided we would go shopping, get our makeup done and have a few cocktails and we were all to meet back at the hotel at 5.30pm. We got to the hotel and discovered there were 3 of us sharing a room in a crappy budget ibis hotel and you couldn’t swing a cat in the room. The bathroom door was see through so no privacy whatsoever. The bunk beds were kids IKEA bunk beds. We met in the bride’s room then went downstairs to go for dinner. No one had organised transport to the restaurant or knew where it was. I had to organise several taxis to get us there as her sisters and bridesmaids were complete hillbillies and hadn’t a clue.
We got to the restaurant and we were the only ones in the place on a Saturday night. The food was rank, everyone complained about it. The cocktails were like ice cream sundaes and 4 of us were sitting at one end of the table thinking wtf!
The bride wanted to go out for proper cocktails after dinner but nobody knew where to go. I suggested a few places and the majority of them hmmed and haad. The bride then decided we should go back to hotel - this was at 8pm. They drank blue WKD in the room then decided they would go out but nobody could decide where to go. The bride asked me where we could go. I listed a number of places and they all stood round and debated what to do. There was a great bar right beside the hotel but the brides sisters all said they didn’t want to go there. The bride eventually decided we would go to a nightclub. By this stage the hotel manager had taken pity on us and was also recommending places to go. He told the bride it was too early to go to the nightclub as it was around 9 by this time and there were some lovely bars in the cathedral quarter that would be perfect. He organised taxis for us and we headed there. Once we got there the bride decided we would go straight to the nightclub. The place was dead!! By this stage nobody could be arsed and everyone was sitting around and her sisters were moaning that we should have stayed in the room drinking!! 20 of us crammed into a room. The hotel didn’t have an alcohol licence so no bar. We stayed in the nightclub until it closed then went back to the hotel. A couple of us got chatting to some of the residents and finally had a bit of craic and entertainment. The next morning myself and the two girls I was sharing with got up for breakfast only to be told there was no breakfast and we we’re getting the next train home! No thought, no planning and no communication! Worst hen do I’ve ever been on. Best of it was that only 7 people who attended her hen do were invited to the wedding. I could have had a nice relaxing weekend at home rather than being bored out of my skull
Sounds like a real night to remember.....🥴

Reactions: 2
I went to my close friends hen last year (not a bridesmaid but by the end of it quite glad not to have been 😂)
All along the bride had said she wanted to go abroad and this was common knowledge! Soo where did we end up going? Manchester! Also the reasoning for this is because self appointed chief bridesmaid had already been to the country that the bride wanted to go to and was trying to get pregnant so if it was in the UK could still come along.
Fast forward a few months to the bride having to be warned she is not going abroad and is understandably quite gutted! Then said chief bridesmaid gets pregnant and is due to give birth a few weeks before the hen so doesn’t even go which means we could have gone abroad all along 😒 oh also they booked a nude life drawing for one of the activities which is cringe enough anyway but they had promised there would be a bar etc, we turn up and it’s literally like a kids dance studio and the model was an older guy who usually poses for serious art classes! The whole thing was just sooo cringe & awkward oh and we paid so much for the weekend we could have gone abroad anyway. Also we were expected to chip in for the bride too and put money aside to get her a present (the bride tribes idea!) just felt really sorry for the bride tbh and she said she had the best time but 🤷🏻‍♀️ wow what an essay soz 😂

I think I would have pissed myself laughing tbh at the drawing class. It would have been one of them moments where I'd be trying to stifle laughter :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2