Harry Potter - The 20 Year Reunion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm guessing Daniel and Rupert weren't available for all the filming as I found it strange at the start that the focus seemed to be on Emma and not Daniel or all 3 of them. Even a lot of PR pieces seem to focus on her.

Also agree the lack of Jo Rowling was ridiculous and disrespectful.

Otherwise I thought it was really good and well done. I thought it seemed early for a reunion as its only been 10 years since they ended, but it was nice to revisit that world and that cast. I love HP but the Fantastic Beasts movies just don't cut it.
The Fantastic Beasts first movie was good, but the second didn't because it stuck to the Fantastic Beasts premise and shoud've focused on the Grindelwald war more generally without the focus on Newt Scamander. That would've given the film a better chance of working. But 2nd film was so boring I have no interest in the third film at all.

Reactions: 1
I thought the Reuniin was brilliant, especially in comparison to other reunions that have been poor eg Friends.

Shame Julie Walters was missing she is a legend.

Reactions: 7
I’m not ashamed to admit that I did cry my eyes out at several points - but I’m pregnant so maybe it’s the hormones 😂 but it just gets me - so special.
I loved it all and actually wanted more - would have loved a conversation between Ralph fiennes and Daniel. Shame the likes of Maggie smith and Julie walters weren’t in it too. But apart from that - I loved it and makes me want to watch all the films again!

Agree with comments about JK Rowling. Thought the producer of the films and Chris Colombus spoke very warmly and respectfully towards her which I liked.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I didn’t cry until the very end

After all this time?

.. always

😭😭😭😭

ETA I also truly grew up with the books and the films. I’m 30 this year and I can remember queueing up at midnight for the half blood Prince and deathly hallows books and both DH films I went to midnight showings. I was worried it would be like the tit inbetweeners reunion but I really enjoyed it and got goosebumps as soon as I heard hedwigs theme. I’ve recently reread the series and it never gets old. However the older I’m getting the more I hate Harry with this Tory ways. E.g. not buying Ron a new wand in the chamber of secrets when he’s sitting on that fortune and poor Ron doesn’t have a pot to piss in🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Apprently the photo used of Emma as a child with Disney ears on is apprently Emma Roberts! What a mistake to make if its true!

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I loved the books and the movies but I was so cross about Jo Rowling’s exclusion! She was speaking the truth but the woke brigade didn’t approve, paper tissues all round. The three big names shouldn’t really be biting the hand that fed them! Still, she’ll be relevant in 100 years with her literary legacy, will they?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think JKR shouldn’t have been excluded - her personal opinions don’t really have anything to do with this world she created. I also feel what she did say was blown out of proportion or taken the wrong way. Unfortunately, you can’t really say anything these days without someone taking offence.

I liked the reunion though. There was a bit too much focus on Emma for me personally but she did come across lovely. They all seem like genuinely decent people. I proper ugly cried at Robbie Coltrane near the end. Like so many others, I grew up with Potter, both books and film.

What JKR said at the last premiere will stay with me forever because it’s so true; “Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I have a transgender family member so I don't appreciate at all that JK Rowling uses her platform to express views that are against transgender people. I think people should have personal views and opinions etc, but where the line gets crossed is when famous/ well known people use their platforms to express those views. That makes it not a personal thing any more - it makes it a conscious choice to try to influence a lot of other people to have the same views. As such, I can understand in today's day and age why they didn't want to include her more in the special.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The ending with the Snape ‘Always’ quote had me in absolute bits - but HP has always had an emotional effect on me.

I have just rewatched DH part 1 and I found it funny that the reunion show made such a big thing about Rupert and Emma’s kiss but didn’t mention Daniel and Emma’s (far raunchier, half naked!) kiss as I can’t imagine that was comfortable to film? I remember watching that scene when it came out and being SHOCKED at how aggressive the kissing was 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I have a transgender family member so I don't appreciate at all that JK Rowling uses her platform to express views that are against transgender people. I think people should have personal views and opinions etc, but where the line gets crossed is when famous/ well known people use their platforms to express those views. That makes it not a personal thing any more - it makes it a conscious choice to try to influence a lot of other people to have the same views. As such, I can understand in today's day and age why they didn't want to include her more in the special.
Perhaps you should read what she actually said. JK has never condemmed genuine trans people in any way. It is pure ignorance being banded around because she believes that sex is an immutable fact. She has actually said many supportive things.

However a vicious band of mysoginists online have twisted everything. The ones that continually attack her and send death threats to her are men who demand women should accept them as women just because they've got a dress on. Their vicious campaign against her is a disgrace.

Compare her words to their inflammatory remarks below.
JKR.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 30
She stands up for woman's rights and men threaten her with rape as well as death but you carry on with your rose tinted view ignoring this abuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
don't tell me there was no dame maggie smith :(
Sadly not :(

Also on reflection I wish there had been more ‘unknown’ information. Like I feel any Harry Potter fan would have know 99% of what was said and shown.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Also on reflection I wish there had been more ‘unknown’ information. Like I feel any Harry Potter fan would have know 99% of what was said and shown.
100% this.

For me there was nothing I didn't already know from the Internet or other shows that collate clips and behind the scenes stuff etc.

My husband, who likes the films but hasn't read the books and wouldn't class himself as a fan just dragged along to things by me, was interested in the show more than me as there was a lot he didn't know.

Like he didn't know about the essays they had to wrote about their character etc. Whereas I have known about that for years.

Reactions: 9
It was OK but I didn't learn much that I didn't know already (apart from Daniel giving Helena an autograph and Emma having a hamster who had a coffin made by the props team) because most of this information is already available online.

It's a shame that there weren't more interviews with the older cast members like Julie or Maggie.

My main disappointment was that we didn't see anything new. Some deleted scenes or outtakes that have never been shown before would have been great.

I don't know why they had to label JKs small contribution as 'archive footage' either.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
What has JK actually said that is hateful though? I've been trying to find answer to this for nearly two years and have still got nowhere beyind being told not to be lazy by asking that question and to do my own research.

• Heart
What has JK actually said that is hateful though? I've been trying to find answer to this for nearly two years and have still got nowhere beyind being told not to be lazy by asking that question and to do my own research.
Scotch Mists post above perfectly sums up examples of when she has supported trans rights just as she supports lots of causes.

The lunatic trans fringe and their misguided allies believe she causes literal death with her words. Ask them to justify and they will give you a lot of word salad but not actually answer.

Actual feminists and their allies capable of thinking for themselves thank JKR for being brave enough to stand up for them

The rest of the population either like or dislike Harry potter for what it is

• Heart
I dont get it either. My friend keeps telling me I can like Harry Potter and not like JK and I just dont get what she did 🙈

Reactions: 13
I have a transgender family member so I don't appreciate at all that JK Rowling uses her platform to express views that are against transgender people.

Which views are those?

The CEO of Stonewall was unable to pinpoint exactly what she’d said that was transphobic, so if you could helpfully point us in the right direction of her ‘anti-transgender’ statements that would be really helpful.

Reactions: 18