Harry & Meghan #51 The Fresh Prince of Hot Air: from Royal stock to laughing stock

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for the thread, Scotch Mist. I can’t really claim too much credit for the title, I simply collated a couple of comments from elsewhere.

Reactions: 20
From the Telegraph: A rough copy and paste because of the subscription wall.

Has Prince Harry transformed his royal accent for the new podcast?
Eyebrows were raised at his newly-adopted style of speech, as heard on his and the Duchess of Sussex’s latest podcast

ByRobert Johnson21 December 2020 • 2:23pm

The trailer for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new series of podcasts for Spotify came out last week, and Prince Harry appears to have altered his accent

The trailer for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new series of podcasts for Spotify came out last week, and Prince Harry appears to have altered his accent
One of the pleasures of Tier 3 has been rewatching all three series of The Windsors, Channel 4’s wickedly irreverent parody of the Royal Family. The performances of Haydn Gwynne as a Cruella de Vil-like version of the Duchess of Cornwall and Morgana Robinson as a scheming minx Pippa Middleton are brilliant. But the real joy is the hilariously plummy accents of the young Royals, particularly Prince Harry who always refers to Miss Middleton as “Pip –arrr!”.
So when the trailer for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new, lucrative series of podcasts for Spotify came out last week, many observers were struck by what seemed to be Prince Harry’s conscious distancing from his posh roots by adopting a new, er, more common accent.
It’s not the first time a Royal has attempted this. When Zara Tindall was awarded Sports Personality of the Year in 2006 she was mocked for appearing to adopt an Estuary English accent. So is Harry going down a similar route – only this time towards a strange form of Mid-Atlantic? After an initial Hugh Grant stutter, he was called out for pronouncing the year as “Twennytwenny” and stating “whatyouneedadoo”. According to his wife at least, he has ‘a podcast voice’.
His grandmother is known for her highly exaggerated form of received pronunciation or RP. Also known as the Queen’s English, it is called received as in accepted (compare received wisdom) but is now considered archaic. Think of HM’s saying “hice” rather than “house” or “orf” for “off”. Despite the younger royals sounding extremely posh, compared to their grandmother their accents are almost street.
You might not recognise actor Jane Whitthenshaw’s face but her voice has starred in everything from Douwe Egberts’ coffee ads to a of host BBC Radio dramas. She is recognised for her ability to adopt a wide variety of accents, from Irish and Geordie to RP and in the new year she is appearing in a new BBC version of Dostoevsky’s The Devils in a variety of roles.
“When I was at the Guildhall School of Drama in the 1980s,” she says, “we were encouraged to keep our ‘native’ accents – for example my classmate David Thewlis was broad Blackpool – but we were taught RP so we could list the ability to talk that way on the CV, alongside what was then known as Cockney or Geordie.”
Whitthenshaw believes that RP sets you as aside as does any other accent. “For example, the Black Country accent is often derided as comic. Likewise sounding posh can be a disadvantage. You sound privileged, you can sound arrogant and it detaches you from ‘normal’ people. You sound superior and, unless you are Jacob Rees-Mogg, who wants to sound superior?”
A more relaxed Harry and Meghan gave the world a privileged peek inside their $15m Santa Barbara mansion earlier this year

A more relaxed Harry and Meghan gave the world a privileged peek inside their $15m Santa Barbara mansion earlier this year
She points out that the expert in changing accents is the Queen herself. “In her role as probably the most recorded individual in history, you can see that her voice today is a world away from that when she came to the throne – though I’m not sure Prince Philip can say the same. Early on her voice was very high and up in her head. Now it is more centred and has a different resonance, much warmer and richer.”
People adjust their language to fit in. So Prince Harry has loosened his accent to make it more acceptable to real people. He never had the cut-glass vowels of his grandmother and this is part of breaking with the Firm and moving on.”
She believes phrasing is often more identifiable than actual accent. “The younger generation in the UK,” she says, adopting an Edith Evans-style accent, “are becoming homogenised. The media they consume, whether on TV or YouTubers, comes largely from the US. Teenagers on this side of the pond now often adopt the American upward inflexion – where you end every sentence as if it is a question – without them even realising.” So imagine the effect on Prince Harry’s voice of living with an American – an actor herself, surrounded by Americans in the US.

Whitthenshaw warns that Prince Harry has to be careful when trying to adopt a new accent. “In acting, the voice is a generic part of the character. For example, the actors in The Crown do an amazing job, particularly Emma Corrin as Princess Diana. Of course, she has hours of footage to study but it is uncanny how she has picked up the vocal tics. The secret is not to impersonate but to make it truthful and not just to stick the voice on top. That doesn’t sound authentic.”
Whitthenshaw’s husband Hugh Kermode, himself an actor, points out that it is actually very usual for people to have more than one accent. “Remember that the older generation would adopt what was then known as a ‘telephone voice’,” he says.
So what can Harry do to sound authentic? Despite the fact that the London Speech Workshop’s website states that its courses offer accent softening, founder Emma Sarlin is cautious about emphasising this. “Though on the back of an article I did on Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding nine years ago,” she says, “we had a number of enquiries from people who wanted to rein in posh accents. Now, however, people are more interested in exploring why their communication isn’t working.
According to Prince Harry and Meghan, Archewell Audio will provide different perspectives and interviews with amazing people

According to Prince Harry and Meghan, Archewell Audio will provide "different perspectives" and interviews with "amazing people" CREDIT: Getty Images
What Harry wants is to connect. His accent may not be the problem but if, for example, you have a very clipped cold voice you are creating a distance between yourself and the people you speak to. A tight jaw leads to sharp sounds. Your accent is part of who you are but, at the same time, you want to be sure you are communicating. People with an RP accent don’t really open their mouth. Vowels are a space to fit in emotion – if your vowels are clipped you will struggle to connect. The result is they feel they are too posh and everyone is judging.”
But if Prince Harry really wants to impress, maybe he should attempt a Geordie accent. “Most actors would say that this is the hardest to pull off,” says Whitthenshaw. “I was lucky that when I was at the RSC, I was taught how to do it by Alun Armstrong, the actor who played the corrupt politician in Our Friends In The North. I can still pull it off, thanks to my dresser Mandy when I was working in Newcastle. All I do is say in my head what she always said – ‘I’m going doon the road fer a tab’ – for it to come back.”
Though that does sound more like something Princess Margaret would say rather than Prince Harry.

Reactions: 19
Thanks for the new thread.

I have to be honest and say I’m a little dissapointed that they haven’t done anything scandelous lately.

Also do we have any journalists on Tattle? Couldn’t they do an expose on where the Disney elephant money went?

Reactions: 23
From the Telegraph: A rough copy and paste because of the subscription wall.

Has Prince Harry transformed his royal accent for the new podcast?
Eyebrows were raised at his newly-adopted style of speech, as heard on his and the Duchess of Sussex’s latest podcast

ByRobert Johnson21 December 2020 • 2:23pm

One of the pleasures of Tier 3 has been rewatching all three series of The Windsors, Channel 4’s wickedly irreverent parody of the Royal Family. The performances of Haydn Gwynne as a Cruella de Vil-like version of the Duchess of Cornwall and Morgana Robinson as a scheming minx Pippa Middleton are brilliant. But the real joy is the hilariously plummy accents of the young Royals, particularly Prince Harry who always refers to Miss Middleton as “Pip –arrr!”.
So when the trailer for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new, lucrative series of podcasts for Spotify came out last week, many observers were struck by what seemed to be Prince Harry’s conscious distancing from his posh roots by adopting a new, er, more common accent.
It’s not the first time a Royal has attempted this. When Zara Tindall was awarded Sports Personality of the Year in 2006 she was mocked for appearing to adopt an Estuary English accent. So is Harry going down a similar route – only this time towards a strange form of Mid-Atlantic? After an initial Hugh Grant stutter, he was called out for pronouncing the year as “Twennytwenny” and stating “whatyouneedadoo”. According to his wife at least, he has ‘a podcast voice’.
His grandmother is known for her highly exaggerated form of received pronunciation or RP. Also known as the Queen’s English, it is called received as in accepted (compare received wisdom) but is now considered archaic. Think of HM’s saying “hice” rather than “house” or “orf” for “off”. Despite the younger royals sounding extremely posh, compared to their grandmother their accents are almost street.
You might not recognise actor Jane Whitthenshaw’s face but her voice has starred in everything from Douwe Egberts’ coffee ads to a of host BBC Radio dramas. She is recognised for her ability to adopt a wide variety of accents, from Irish and Geordie to RP and in the new year she is appearing in a new BBC version of Dostoevsky’s The Devils in a variety of roles.
“When I was at the Guildhall School of Drama in the 1980s,” she says, “we were encouraged to keep our ‘native’ accents – for example my classmate David Thewlis was broad Blackpool – but we were taught RP so we could list the ability to talk that way on the CV, alongside what was then known as Cockney or Geordie.”
Whitthenshaw believes that RP sets you as aside as does any other accent. “For example, the Black Country accent is often derided as comic. Likewise sounding posh can be a disadvantage. You sound privileged, you can sound arrogant and it detaches you from ‘normal’ people. You sound superior and, unless you are Jacob Rees-Mogg, who wants to sound superior?”

She points out that the expert in changing accents is the Queen herself. “In her role as probably the most recorded individual in history, you can see that her voice today is a world away from that when she came to the throne – though I’m not sure Prince Philip can say the same. Early on her voice was very high and up in her head. Now it is more centred and has a different resonance, much warmer and richer.”
People adjust their language to fit in. So Prince Harry has loosened his accent to make it more acceptable to real people. He never had the cut-glass vowels of his grandmother and this is part of breaking with the Firm and moving on.”
She believes phrasing is often more identifiable than actual accent. “The younger generation in the UK,” she says, adopting an Edith Evans-style accent, “are becoming homogenised. The media they consume, whether on TV or YouTubers, comes largely from the US. Teenagers on this side of the pond now often adopt the American upward inflexion – where you end every sentence as if it is a question – without them even realising.” So imagine the effect on Prince Harry’s voice of living with an American – an actor herself, surrounded by Americans in the US.

Whitthenshaw warns that Prince Harry has to be careful when trying to adopt a new accent. “In acting, the voice is a generic part of the character. For example, the actors in The Crown do an amazing job, particularly Emma Corrin as Princess Diana. Of course, she has hours of footage to study but it is uncanny how she has picked up the vocal tics. The secret is not to impersonate but to make it truthful and not just to stick the voice on top. That doesn’t sound authentic.”
Whitthenshaw’s husband Hugh Kermode, himself an actor, points out that it is actually very usual for people to have more than one accent. “Remember that the older generation would adopt what was then known as a ‘telephone voice’,” he says.
So what can Harry do to sound authentic? Despite the fact that the London Speech Workshop’s website states that its courses offer accent softening, founder Emma Sarlin is cautious about emphasising this. “Though on the back of an article I did on Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding nine years ago,” she says, “we had a number of enquiries from people who wanted to rein in posh accents. Now, however, people are more interested in exploring why their communication isn’t working.
According to Prince Harry and Meghan, Archewell Audio will provide different perspectives and interviews with amazing people

According to Prince Harry and Meghan, Archewell Audio will provide "different perspectives" and interviews with "amazing people" CREDIT: Getty Images
What Harry wants is to connect. His accent may not be the problem but if, for example, you have a very clipped cold voice you are creating a distance between yourself and the people you speak to. A tight jaw leads to sharp sounds. Your accent is part of who you are but, at the same time, you want to be sure you are communicating. People with an RP accent don’t really open their mouth. Vowels are a space to fit in emotion – if your vowels are clipped you will struggle to connect. The result is they feel they are too posh and everyone is judging.”
But if Prince Harry really wants to impress, maybe he should attempt a Geordie accent. “Most actors would say that this is the hardest to pull off,” says Whitthenshaw. “I was lucky that when I was at the RSC, I was taught how to do it by Alun Armstrong, the actor who played the corrupt politician in Our Friends In The North. I can still pull it off, thanks to my dresser Mandy when I was working in Newcastle. All I do is say in my head what she always said – ‘I’m going doon the road fer a tab’ – for it to come back.”
Though that does sound more like something Princess Margaret would say rather than Prince Harry.
That is interesting, thank you. I do love accents. While I find the clipped RP spoken by the Queen quite easy to understand, (though her accent has softened over the years) I find the some of the younger royals a bit more of a struggle. RP should be easy to understand, which is why it remains the predominant accent used on the BBC World Service, but there seems to be a variant of it amongst posh people, known as Upper RP, which is not so easy for the uninitiated to follow. It's very common in upper class educational establishments and includes the 'vocal fry' effect. Kate, much as I love her, is very plummy, even more so than her husband. Harry seems to have the trait of speaking at irregular speeds. He starts off normally, then rushes and puts severalwordstogetherveryquickly towards the end of his sentences, quite the opposite of his parents who speak/spoke a lot more slowly and with a more regular speech pattern. His voice is also quite deep, for me he is a lot more 'posh' sounding than William.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
Thank you Norbs for the another cracking new title! Just in time for the Harkle's Happy Holidays card and WokeCast (no I'm not holding my breath but it will be funny when it drops) 🥴

The World Central Kitchen news this week is just the Harkles being charity-adjacent, so they'll do zero, turn up for the PR stunts and photo-ops by private jet, merch their outfits and claim a stack of expenses. Just like their vision of 'modernising the monarchy'.

On the accents, Harry sounds much more Old Etonian and Army than William, who seems to have normalised his accent during his time at Uni. William is well-spoken, but not in a way that he sounds like a walking talking blue-blood.

Reactions: 23
Congrats @Norbs on a brilliant title and thanks @Scotch Mist for posting the thread ❤

So another poster on another thread asked yesterday what all the roast chicken jokes were about, I said I'd explain, so here is a precis just for @Pixie1 (please correct me anybody if I get any of this wrong) 🤭

Vile, vicious and completely scandalous untrue rumours exist that a certain prince favours a position called the Roast Chicken. With folk of any gender. So, much hilarity was had by Tattlers around this malicious untrue fact and roast chickens of all shapes, sizes, breeds, colours, what have you were flung in his direction. As we wouldn't like to be seen as biased in this modern day and age of politically correct wokedom.

It made many suspect there was more to the fairytale of 'he proposed to me while we were roasting a chicken' engagement speech, but nothing has ever been proven.

Although no roast chickens have been harmed in the process of causing hilarity and merriment on Tattle, many were so traumatised at what they learned they will never look a roast chicken up the bum in the eye in the same way ever again. And has led to reports of women in supermarkets giggling in a manic fashion in the fridge aisles.

In honour of the first ever Hazno bollocks and Merkin thread, 15th November is now Roast Chicken Anniversary Day.

Merry Christmas 🎄⛄❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Congrats @Norbs on a brilliant title and thanks @Scotch Mist for posting the thread ❤

So another poster on another thread asked yesterday what all the roast chicken jokes were about, I said I'd explain, so here is a precis just for @Pixie1 (please correct me anybody if I get any of this wrong) 🤭

Vile, vicious and completely scandalous untrue rumours exist that a certain prince favours a position called the Roast Chicken. With folk of any gender. So, much hilarity was had by Tattlers around this malicious untrue fact and roast chickens of all shapes, sizes, breeds, colours, what have you were flung in his direction. As we wouldn't like to be seen as biased in this modern day and age of politically correct wokedom.

It made many suspect there was more to the fairytale of 'he proposed to me while we were roasting a chicken' engagement speech, but nothing has ever been proven.

Although no roast chickens have been harmed in the process of causing hilarity and merriment on Tattle, many were so traumatised at what they learned they will never look a roast chicken up the bum in the eye in the same way ever again. And has led to reports of women in supermarkets giggling in a manic fashion in the fridge aisles.

In honour of the first ever Hazno bollocks and Merkin thread, 15th November is now Roast Chicken Anniversary Day.

Merry Christmas 🎄⛄❤
936.gif
here's the dancing roast chicken 😁 he's a mate of the dancing mushie :m
food-drink-haunt-haunting-haunted-ghosts-dinner-kscn1485_low.jpg
Polish_20201221_184646718.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Is roast chicken the position then? Or is it the position and pegging? @Facehugger?

About the post on the last thread - the article saying Haz wants to build bridges with his family to try to increase their popularity but megs still can’t forgive them for their meaness....

How bleeping dare they still moan? They’ve done nothing kind or good or worthy this year. They have continued to take the piss and trade on their royalty and name. They have repeatedly criticised our country and ignored their patronages and let down people they previously supported. They’ve pulled out of commitments and talked such vast amounts of tit about stuff they really shouldn’t. Things they don’t understand, issues that they suddenly adopt. Their hypocrisy has been astonishing.
And still they bleeping complain about their lives. They have courted publicity despite saying they longed for privacy and a quiet life. They have turned their back on Great Britain and their families. They’ve lied and deceived. They’ve misled people and it is always for their own benefit. They have walked away from their duties yet still demand the perks.
And they dare still complain when so many this year have lost their jobs, their businesses, their health and their life. Still they bleeping think they are treated badly and hard done by.

You massive, massive cunts. You have no idea how hard life is when you don’t have the cushion of money and status. Don’t preach to us and complain about the way the press, the people and the rest of the royal family treat you.
Do us all a favour and duck off in 2021.
We don’t care about your opinions. You reek of insincerity and deception.
Go away and shut the duck up.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Is roast chicken the position then? Or is it the position and pegging? @Facehugger?

About the post on the last thread - the article saying Haz wants to build bridges with his family to try to increase their popularity but megs still can’t forgive them for their meaness....

How bleeping dare they still moan? They’ve done nothing kind or good or worthy this year. They have continued to take the piss and trade on their royalty and name. They have repeatedly criticised our country and ignored their patronages and let down people they previously supported. They’ve pulled out of commitments and talked such vast amounts of tit about stuff they really shouldn’t. Things they don’t understand, issues that they suddenly adopt. Their hypocrisy has been astonishing.
And still they bleeping complain about their lives. They have courted publicity despite saying they longed for privacy and a quiet life. They have turned their back on Great Britain and their families. They’ve lied and deceived. They’ve misled people and it is always for their own benefit. They have walked away from their duties yet still demand the perks.
And they dare still complain when so many this year have lost their jobs, their businesses, their health and their life. Still they bleeping think they are treated badly and hard done by.

You massive, massive cunts. You have no idea how hard life is when you don’t have the cushion of money and status. Don’t preach to us and complain about the way the press, the people and the rest of the royal family treat you.
Do us all a favour and duck off in 2021.
We don’t care about your opinions. You reek of insincerity and deception.
Go away and shut the duck up.
Well according to the urban dictionary, if women want to do the Roast Chicken to their bloke, it involves aids strapped to them (Merkin wouldn't have a problem with that if moonbump rumours are true) so I don't think pegging makes much of a difference whether involved or not! 🤣🤣🤭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
i wish i could react 😂 and ❤ at the same time!!! Love the dancing chicken too!! Thanks for the new thread @Scotch Mist! and thanks @Norbs for the very fitting title!
I think it's quite apt at the minute, people are having trouble getting turkeys so I understand due to the bird flu outbreak, they all need to be roasting a chicken' for Christmas! 🤭🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Merry Christmas 🎄⛄❤
Hiya Facehugger 👋😀. Thank you for that, I had a bit of a giggle 🤭🤭🤭. Who would have thought eh 😉. I must add this page to my watched list 😀👍. I'm going to wrap up some Christmas presents in a minute but I will definitely catch up later and have a look for Pomsy pics 😂❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hiya Facehugger 👋😀. Thank you for that, I had a bit of a giggle 🤭🤭🤭. Who would have thought eh 😉. I must add this page to my watched list 😀👍. I'm going to wrap up some Christmas presents in a minute but I will definitely catch up later and have a look for Pomsy pics 😂❤
I'll save you a chair. 🤭🤣 Our Scotchy and Freda like to post a pic or two at times, you're in for a treat missus x

• Heart
Reactions: 10
OOH, sparkly new thread, thanks Scotchy, and another cracker title, well done Norbs :m

@Pixie1. Pom generally does the night shift, not very often in here during the day ... enjoy.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
That is interesting, thank you. I do love accents. While I find the clipped RP spoken by the Queen quite easy to understand, (though her accent has softened over the years) I find the some of the younger royals a bit more of a struggle. RP should be easy to understand, which is why it remains the predominant accent used on the BBC World Service, but there seems to be a variant of it amongst posh people, known as Upper RP, which is not so easy for the uninitiated to follow. It's very common in upper class educational establishments and includes the 'vocal fry' effect. Kate, much as I love her, is very plummy, even more so than her husband. Harry seems to have the trait of speaking at irregular speeds. He starts off normally, then rushes and puts severalwordstogetherveryquickly towards the end of his sentences, quite the opposite of his parents who speak/spoke a lot more slowly and with a more regular speech pattern. His voice is also quite deep, for me he is a lot more 'posh' sounding than William.
I love accents too, and after living here for 15+ years find most of them easy to understand, although some broad Scottish ones can be tricky and the Black Country defeats me 🤣. We were taught RP at Uni (had to memorise the Queen speeches and deliver them in RP 🙈), but I don't normally speak English like that. Still have a bit of accent, but usually get accused of being Swedish or Dutch (I'm neither 🤣). Harry definitely sounded different on the Spotify clip, not sure if that's to make himself more relatable, but it just makes him sound incoherent...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Undercover with the Harkles....... well it's Christmas party time in Montecito and Adele has popped over with a roast chicken 😉😘

Polish_20201221_205505239.jpg

I'd better hot foot it out of here before they spot me !

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.