Happy Valley #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That scene was just the perfect ending 10/10, no notes, amazing. The way the character of Tommy was written - just so complex. When he walked into Ryan's bedroom and you see it through his eyes and almost feel sorry for him because he never had anything like that. Yet at the same time, he's still just a nasty, spiteful childlike thug

I did feel a wee bit short changed with how some other loose ends were tied up (or weren't really), and that Ann never got any closure

But still, what a great final episode

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I really enjoyed catching up on here During the week and reading everyone’s theories…. Rewatch from series one anyone ? 🫠😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Awww my heart at Catherine's face when she asked who will be looking after the little girls. When he said there's a grandmother....

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
I really enjoyed that. It wasn't what I'd expected but I think it worked very well.

I also kinda like how it's not perfectly watertight wrapped up with a 'and this is what they're all doing next'. You get just enough so you can give characters the ending you like for them 😅 Personally I'm thinking Ryan seemed overly pleased at being mistaken for a police officer so I like to think there will be another Sergeant Cawood in the future.

I do wish Ann had maybe had a better final appearance because her character got quite a rough deal this series between the drinking, exploding at Ryan, and not doing her actual job. But it does make her a very human character that she's still not over her horrendous trauma but she's at least still carrying on.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Did anyone else find the scene where Catherine and TLR were shouting at each-other quite funny? “No YOU duck off!”
Loved it because it showed how he hasn’t really matured he was a man child (or whatever the quote was Catherine said) for all his bravado he was a damaged child too! She always had the upper hand because her life (despite all the tragedy) was “normal” and that’s what she’d given Ryan. A childhood TLR could only have dreamed of!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Ok I've finished.

I think he genuinely felt bereft looking at Becky's pics, because in his own weird psycho way, he loved her. He believed it was a mutual love, that Catherine ruined on them.
He genuinely felt he missed out on Ryan because of Catherine (and not the fact that he did everything he did) and it was all her fault.

I'd say he didn't even register that he had said the same thing to Ann as he had to Becky, Ann wasn't even a thought stream in his head, it was the Becky love story. The rest was him joking/not meaning it.

I'm glad by his end, he realised Ryan had a really good upbringing. I'm glad Ryan realised it also, I think he needed to hear what Ann said, harsh as it was, it needed to be said for him to get that Catherine always put his safety first, even if her decisions might not have been the best in hindsight.

I'm glad her and Clare made up.

And I feel like I missed so much here and there over the 3 seasons I need to do a deep dive/rewatch for little details from the start.

Did they say Rob was done for indecent images of a school child? They never mentioned who

Reactions: 22
I really enjoyed that. It wasn't what I'd expected but I think it worked very well.

I also kinda like how it's not perfectly watertight wrapped up with a 'and this is what they're all doing next'. You get just enough so you can give characters the ending you like for them 😅 Personally I'm thinking Ryan seemed overly pleased at being mistaken for a police officer so I like to think there will be another Sergeant Cawood in the future.

I do wish Ann had maybe had a better final appearance because her character got quite a rough deal this series between the drinking, exploding at Ryan, and not doing her actual job. But it does make her a very human character that she's still not over her horrendous trauma but she's at least still carrying on.
Yes I got the feeling Ryan will head into the police. And maybe it will return one day with him as the lead

• Heart
Reactions: 31
i was saying to my mum the anticipation around happy valley finale feels horribly similar to that of line of duty series 6. It was EVERYWHERE and people were so excited and it was such a bloody let down. Let’s hope this doesn’t go the same way 😭
I hated the last two series of Line Of Duty - loved it up until then. I have almost blocked series 5 & 6 from my memory.

Reactions: 1
Enjoyed every minute of that. Wasn't disappointed with the ending like I was with LoD

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I do wish we’d seen justice for Joanna though in the B storyline
I think there "will" be, because she mentioned faisal and his proximity to Joanna in the last scene with her colleague. So I'd imagine in this fictional universe, that's a job for the police who aren't retiring that day

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I like how it ended with regards to Catherine and Tommy but I wasn’t happy with the outcome of the Joanna storyline I feel like they forgot about it so the conclusion was just very rushed and unimaginative.

Reactions: 4
Is it true Sally wrote 4 different endings as I would love to see them all?

I was worried at the beginning when Catherine seemed so down and said she was tired. I thought she was a goner!

Glad she made up with Claire and cutie Ryan made her see the light!

I do think Tommy loved Ryan and I liked that he acknowledged what a good life Catherine had given him. But I’ve always wondered what made Becky go off the rails so to speak. How did she get mixed up with him? I would have liked that explained.

How did Tommy telling her about Darius mean they got Darius finally? I know it recorded on her police camera phone but how can they take that as the truth? Plus how would they catch Darius as I thought he was always undercover? I was a bit disappointed the Joanna storyline was skimmed over and I would have liked to have seen Ann in the last episode and her relief Tommy was dead.

I also thought we’d see a bit into the future and Ryan joining the Police.

Reactions: 10
Tbh I've always found LOD a bit overhyped and sometimes dull. I think Happy Valley is far stronger

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I see people twitter Facebook moaning about Neil Ryan no mention ann daniel and second storyline being wrapped up but. I like that, and was worth the rush of other scenes for those scenes in kitchen Tommy and Catherine. Their acting was so realistic and I just bawled when he said Ryan’s had good life 😢 I’m happy with ending

• Heart
Reactions: 13
It was a very clever way (IMO) to show him as a true evil psychopath. He did love her, but he remembers the love and the good. He can’t really remember or washes over the bad he did. It’s just words or meaningless argument in his memory. The bad is blamed on someone else, eradicating his responsibility for it.
Isn’t that what lots of people do though? We all see things through our own lense. I don’t think it showed him as a true evil psychopath. I think it was a good example of the nature/nurture debate. If he’d had an adult looking out for him the way Catherine did for Ryan would he have grown up to be the dangerous man he was? Probably not. Was he born or made dangerous?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.