Growing_our_tribe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How is it possible that Riley may never ever be able to drink fluids again? How terribly sad 😔
Likely she has swallowing difficulties due to her cerebral palsy with weakness +/- incoordination in the muscles that move things from the mouth down safely into the oesophagus. Fluids naturally move quickly through the mouth and throat and you need to have strong, well-coordinated muscles to stop it from going “down the wrong way” aka aspirating it. Aspiration leads to chest infections and chronic aspiration is very bad for your health. Thicker fluids can be safer to drink but it sounds like Riley also aspirates those. The permanent gastrostomy tube she’s getting soon means she can have all her fluids through that so she can be adequately hydrated without the risk of aspiration. Although there was a comment from Grecian that Riley has been aspirating her own saliva. If so, it would be important to keep her mouth clean and healthy, otherwise any bacteria in her mouth that was aspirated could trigger a chest infection. Yes it’s sad, but many people live without being able to eat and/or drink orally and still lead full lives. What’s super sad is that it’s taken until Riley is nearly five to have it sorted out. Her general health would have been out at so much risk with chronic aspiration over the years and she’ll likely find it harder to bounce back from future chest issues 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Poor little girl.😕 Riley has all this going on & angry bird complains about having to watch while the tape that holds the tube in place is applied to Riley's cheek. It's traumatic for poor mummy. Watching your kid undergo any medical proceedure is hard, putting tape on her face would be one of the easier things to witness. Drama Queen mother.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Poor little girl.😕 Riley has all this going on & angry bird complains about having to watch while the tape that holds the tube in place is applied to Riley's cheek. It's traumatic for poor mummy. Watching your kid undergo any medical proceedure is hard, putting tape on her face would be one of the easier things to witness. Drama Queen mother.
Devils advocate over here, as a tubie mum although my girl is only 14 months.. tape changes are just as heart breaking as a tube reinsert.. now don’t get me wrong, I feel like if my daughter was older it may be easier but i have a meltdown whenever I do a tape change because I have to almost hold her down to get the tape off and then put new tape in

• Heart
She really makes my skin crawl & there is ALWAYS something wrong! Did anyone see her ask if anyone had tips on being a fifo wife LOL it was day two

Reactions: 3
Is this the Dunning-Kruger effect ? I’m so frustrated that Grecian has not read the book “Special” yet. It is such an amazing read in those early days of diagnosis. How can she just be finding out about it?

She’s a self appointed expert in a parenting community that does not gatekeep. Nor does she really try to engage. I haven’t listened to her podcast, I cannot bring myself to do so. But I’m so frustrated that she is trying this influencer grift and using “parent of disabled child” as her platform when she is so new to it.

As a parent of a disabled child you have a responsibility to engage, read and learn from disability advocates themselves. Learn perspectives, and the nuances. And remember that your role as parent is always secondary to your child (like all parents really). It’s not about you. And your child’s right to privacy especially with their medical history is fundamental.

Also there are some really wonderful parents already creating engagement, encouraging discussions amongst parents and the roles they play balancing advocacy, privacy etc. Mel Demitt author of special is one, too peas podcast and their fb group is another. Yet old love is out here having missed the first 4 years of early intervention grifting smoothie cups for her nil by mouth kiddo

😳 turns out I need to get that rant off my chest.I just really love that book.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Is this the Dunning-Kruger effect ? I’m so frustrated that Grecian has not read the book “Special” yet. It is such an amazing read in those early days of diagnosis. How can she just be finding out about it?

She’s a self appointed expert in a parenting community that does not gatekeep. Nor does she really try to engage. I haven’t listened to her podcast, I cannot bring myself to do so. But I’m so frustrated that she is trying this influencer grift and using “parent of disabled child” as her platform when she is so new to it.

As a parent of a disabled child you have a responsibility to engage, read and learn from disability advocates themselves. Learn perspectives, and the nuances. And remember that your role as parent is always secondary to your child (like all parents really). It’s not about you. And your child’s right to privacy especially with their medical history is fundamental.

Also there are some really wonderful parents already creating engagement, encouraging discussions amongst parents and the roles they play balancing advocacy, privacy etc. Mel Demitt author of special is one, too peas podcast and their fb group is another. Yet old love is out here having missed the first 4 years of early intervention grifting smoothie cups for her nil by mouth kiddo

Holland gets me everytime 😭😭😭

I find it really interesting when she does the throw backs to the “twinnies” birth and ivf journey. You can see she was trying to get content from the get go and use them for insta to build an IVF journey page. That obviously failed so she tried to do similar for the baby maceeeeeee and that sparked some freebies and sponnos. Enough to ignore poor Riley’s issues, but petered off as she got older and wasn’t really that cute.
Suddenly Riley starts school and obviously red flags were raised. She suddenly got medical care and interventions, Grecian was finally getting real engagement and sympathy over Riley’s medical trauma journey so she has rebranded hard as a medical mama and disability advocate Ugh so sad

100000% echo ALL of this 🫶🏻
Special & Too Peas were recommended to me by allied health professionals right at the beginning of our journey in 2020. and my kiddo is quite a bit younger than Riley.
Grecian is just a self absorbed woe is me pathetic joke. it’s all about her not Riley.
happy to know there’s another pea here 💚

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Poor R is terrified of balloons so what does her dimwit mother do brings a balloon garland into the house

• Sad
  • Wow
If my kids were terrified of balloons or even just one of my kids were & I was offered a balloon garland I would gently decline. How can she say it’s breaks her heart she’s terrified but still bring in the one thing that makes her daughter feel that way? I have no idea how people can feel sympathy for her.

Reactions: 9
That hip carrier is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen and quite frankly really dangerous. So easy for a kid to slip off and onto the floor!

Reactions: 8
That hip carrier is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen and quite frankly really dangerous. So easy for a kid to slip off and onto the floor!
Standard for our dipshit Grecian though 🤦🏻‍♀️

If she had half a brain she would be using a preschool range Tula. not whatever the duck that accident waiting to happen is

• Haha
Their birthday is just a yearly excuse for her to milk the sympathy engagement. Do these girls have a personality or interests or will they forever be the ivf Miracle premmy twins?

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.