Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Not surprised. Everything is so contrived. Granted that English isn't her first language but she manages just fine when prepared and scripted. Also, I thought she HAS been speaking on behalf of "everyone" soooo... This is all going to come crashing down.

Reactions: 3

Blunderous

Who is going to sit and discuss action plans with a child? Her point is that her age group have no power at the moment except for 'ranting' and protesting so those in charge need to take action themselves.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I was wondering if she still attends school or has a tutor.
Neither going by her, "I should be in school. How dare you" tantrum speech that she threw.

No one is forcing her to not go to school. This kids ego is going to get out of hand.

Kangaroo123

Yeah, a train to Spain which would cost more than I earn. Shutting down cities & causing damage governments have to pay for? Isn’t that taking money that could be used for climate change. She isn’t going to reimburse to money lost because her protest made me late to work.
She isn’t a child who wants to world to change, she has a platform because her mother is a singer & her father and grandfather are actors, and this is her turn in the limelight. A petulant child who needs to go back to school or get a job
I mean this is a fair point, that you can only do what you can reasonably afford. I’m not going to agree with you on Greta though!

BlahBlahSheep

City has to replace ruined grass, plants & broken public property. Bristol had a huge patch of public grass ruined by protesters- will now need to be replaced, which costs money. That money they could spend on recycling, public transport etc.
so yes, really
Could have been spent on recycling, public transport etc. but wouldn’t have been. So no, not really.

Anyway, fundraisers have raised the money to cover the cost of repairs. PLUS, the Council seemed very supportive of the protest; who do you think approved the road closures?

D0DCF78E-08BA-44BD-ADDA-BEE8B7AD6674.jpeg 1234A092-ED61-4A15-8319-B7ED53B07437.jpeg

Last edited:

Orange Creme

VIP Member
But I own clothes from ‘fast fashion’ that I’ve owned for years because more eco friendly companies don’t cater to my size or shape.
Ultimately countries like China aren’t making the changes needed, and I’m more than entitled to say that, yeah a lot of people live there but that doesn’t mean they can’t make improvements.
I reuse and recycle but if I want to treat myself to a holiday I will, because unlike Greta I work for the privilege of travelling
I agree with this point- I rarely buy new clothes but when I do they are usually from cheaper stores (even primark 😱) and I keep them for a long time. Surely it would be better to educate and model to children about keeping clothes nice rather than wearing once and throwing away and recycling fabric rather than stopping businesses from selling fashions that people want.

Catfan2

Chatty Member
She’s a pain in the arse. Having said that, I do admire her fluency in English as it’s not her native tongue. She can still sod off though.

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
Like it or not, the amount of hate and nasty comments directed at her is bizarre. And I'm not saying people shouldn't criticise the content of what she says, but she gets so many personal insults directed at her from adults. Just the other day Julia Hartley-Brewer tweeted a list of insults about Greta and included "autistic" in her list. She deleted it soon after, but as we all know, the internet is forever.
The trouble is people still talk about her as if she was a child, she isn't, I was married with two children at her age. So Julia was insulting another adult. I don't agree with the insults she gets but also she doesn't hold back on saying insulting things either.

She is a puppet and without her script has absolutely no idea about anything she talks about. Why are real climate scientists overlooked in favour of Greta?

Appanappa

Chatty Member
No one is saying not to go on holiday. But if you fly loads, maybe consider using a train one time, it’s all about small swaps.
Not really sure why you’re trashing her for getting free travel and not working, that’s a strange thing to resent her for.
I don’t resent her, I just don’t understand why it’s ok to shut down cities & cause criminal damage (digging up trinity college grass) in the sake of climate change? Greta, XR, all want things to change but won’t do it in a diplomatic way
greta doesn’t sit with people who can make achange and discuss action plans , she just rants about it. That won’t change anything.
I also don’t see how I can get a train to Spain.

Yel

Chatty Member
I don't disagree with the message, but people at the event in Bristol keep saying to drive an electric car as if that will really make a difference. The electric car driving Greta is brand new and has a police convoy.

You have to buy a new car for that, how is the energy for the electric car going to be generated and the country has a huge problem with people driving new cars then getting a new one a few years later. I'm no expert but even the best electric car probably isn't better for emissions than using all the produced cars until they can't be fixed 🤷‍♀️

Kangaroo123

City has to replace ruined grass, plants & broken public property. Bristol had a huge patch of public grass ruined by protesters- will now need to be replaced, which costs money. That money they could spend on recycling, public transport etc.
so yes, really
And how much money is the government currently have to shell out for flooding defences to defend against storms that are increasing in regularity due to man made climate change? Think you’ll find a hell of a lot more than some grass.

Reactions: 2

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I think she’s an inspiration and a remarkable young girl. I think it’s so sad that so many people (across the web, media and politicians) are trying to belittle her passion and tenacity because of her age and Aspergers. I’ve learnt things about climate change from her that I wasn’t previously even aware of. I would be proud if she were my daughter. Also those mentioning her age....don’t forget it wasn’t so long ago we were sending 16 year old boys to fight on the front line. Have a read of her posts on FB too if you think she’s just a puppet.
I've read her Twitter posts and they too seem incredibly scripted and written by a PR. Her fb posts are much less calculated and what a 16 year old would post.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
The only thing that I would say personally that annoyed me about her was when Trump took "the limelight off her" at the UN speech.

Trump, like it or not, is one of the most important people in the world at the moment (aka president of the USA). Greta is an activist. Yes, climate change is important and we should be doing our bit to save the planet, but she is coming across as very self entitled and dare I say it, a bit pretentious. She comes across like she is better than everyone else when she isn't. 🤷‍♀️
I think she seems a bit bratty and it will only get worse the more spotlight she has.

I watched the news last night and they had a group of people on talking about Greta's movement. And one lady said, well how much are people willing to sacrifice? Are they all never going to go on a plane, give up their cell phone, laptop, instant pots etc? Things that are made from petroleum that they probably don't realise. It is one thing to preach about climate change, it is another to take action. Greta seems to use her phone very often for Twitter, a product with parts made from oil. Ignorance plays a huge part in this though. SO many products are made somewhat with oil than we realise, clothes, shoes, umbrellas, etc. It is more than just heating the home and flying places. We will all have to go back to living like cavemen if we want zero products with oil which isn't realistic.

I can't stand Trump and think he is awful but of course, he is going to get attention at the UN. I did snigger a bit at his tweet about her and I typically disagree hugely on what he tweets.

Horatio

VIP Member
I don’t know, all the pages I can find that are freaking out about any connection between her and antifa seem to be fairly closely aligned with alt right ideals...

George Agdgdgwngo

I’m not sure if she has been a force for good. The hysteria around her has overshadowed any environmental progress she might have wanted to make. She seems to have vanished after everyone wanted to meet her, like she was Christ on the second coming.