Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Right. Well.

People are saying how amazing it is that someone so young is raising awareness and while it is, BOTH of her parents are very famous celebrities in Sweden. SO she hasn't just gotten lucky and I don't know if people realise that.

Greta isn't just the daughter of normal parents who went to school, sat outside and protested by herself and then overnight caught people's attention. I think it is much more orchestrated. Her parents are incredibly wealthy people. They also support Antifa and have raised money for them. Antifa in my mind are not a great organisation. They are quite extreme in terms of left-wing.

You know pushy parents for stage kids? I wonder if her parents have been like this with Greta. Living their idea through her.

Greta also has a history of MH problems, ranging from depression (at aged EIGHT), OCD, to an eating disorder. A child doesn't need this kind of pressure. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/this-greta-thunberg-thing-is-child-abuse

Last edited:
Reactions: 38

Ozilla

At least she’s doing something? Everyone doing nothing could lead to extinction of our species, the planet will recover, it has before. Humans won’t.

Reactions: 34

Pinchme

VIP Member
My thoughts are that she is a puppet, who's pulling her strings I'm not sure but I think this is all a stunt.

When she was interviewed when she arrived in NYC she looked so out of her depth and totally scared.

What parents would allow their child to do what she has been doing unless they were getting paid very well for it??

None of it sits right with me I'm afraid.

Reactions: 28

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Honestly, I think it sucks that a child feels the need to even pursue the path Greta has. She should be enjoying her teenage hood with her friends. Greta and hundreds and thousands of other children and teenagers around the world are marching and protesting because governments and adults aren't doing enough to combat climate change. It's shameful.
I think her parents have forced her on it, personally.

No eight year old, gretas age at the time, should have severe depression because they're worrying so much about climate change. This was embedded in her somehow. That wouldnt even cross an eight year olds mind

Reactions: 28

mindlessness

VIP Member
Honestly, I think it sucks that a child feels the need to even pursue the path Greta has. She should be enjoying her teenage hood with her friends. Greta and hundreds and thousands of other children and teenagers around the world are marching and protesting because governments and adults aren't doing enough to combat climate change. It's shameful.

Reactions: 18

bubbletea123

VIP Member
My friend just said: 'Greta Thunberg reminds me of a Vegan Cat. You know the cat did not get that way making its own choices.'
🤭 :ROFLMAO:
Hahahahah. That is such a good description of her.

I just saw Greta has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. I am sorry but that is fucking ridiculous. She hasn't done anything notable.

In her speech, she went on about how "her dreams and childhood have been stolen." Not really. She still had a pretty good childhood. Look around the world Greta, at kids who are forced into slave labor, etc. She needs to get a grip. It is all so obviously scripted and contrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I admire her bravery but I do hope she doesn't crumble under the weight of hatred she seems to be getting from Western rich men.

I think corporations need to help the public change habits for the better. We all now recycle at the kerbside but you hear stories of it getting sent to China to be incinerated, or that councils cannot recycle some types of plastics.

Corporations with the capital funds and technology should change packaging, and recipes (do we really need palm oil in every biscuit?), and the consumers can then recycle at local level knowing that they can actually be processed. A lot of the public are getting better at using metal water bottles and using reusable coffee cups and you are almost the odd one out now if you use a plastic straw. We the public need help from our suppliers, to give us options. The argument that it is all the consumers fault for buying plastic covered food and that demand from customer should change the corps, is flawed. The average person does not have the resource to drive miles and miles to the local farms to buy a few carrots every week, and the population is massive. People need to eat so will buy what is available. The suppliers should drive the change and consumers can then adapt. And how to make the mega corps toe the line? Government policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13

hrh89

VIP Member
At least she’s doing something? Everyone doing nothing could lead to extinction of our species, the planet will recover, it has before. Humans won’t.
I don’t have a problem with her she’s a young kid trying to help the planet. I mean if she inspires other kids her age to be more aware of this stuff then that can only be a good thing right.

Reactions: 13

bubbletea123

VIP Member
The kid seems unstable. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Ya, I think she seems incredibly vulnerable and is being used by powerful people as a front.

As I said above, it is not normal for an EIGHT-year-old child to have severe depression because of climate change. Something/one influenced that. Both she and her sibling have bad OCD. And Greta has had an eating disorder that ended up with her being hospitalized multiple times. Shame on her parents for playing into this absolute circus. Greta isn't a scientist, she is being used as a puppet.

People will forget who she is in a few months time once someone new comes around. Just like how many people have not forgotten about the Parkland kids :(

Reactions: 12
We’ve all got that one family at school who uses their kid and ‘their idea’ for virtue-signalling. I expect it’s a similar thing with Greta and her parents. One of our eco-warrior parents organised a ‘children’s protest march’ to the town hall 🙄
I mean, cool to Instagram it to hell and make sure everyone sees what you did but, you know, maybe concentrate on not driving your massive 4x4 to school when we all know how tiny the catchment area is and you could most definitely be walking instead 🤷‍♀️

• Haha

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
Not a fan of her. She was given the platform because her parents are rich and well-connected so could get the media to focus on her, most other kids would have done the same and been ignored and probably told off by the school

That aside, I also think her approach was very useless. Most the kids walking in those protests are unlikely to change their lifestyles so will still be subscribing to fast fashion and the like. She had this platform with world leaders and instead of having scientists and experts with possible ideas speak (as governments clearly lack the damn effort to do the work themselves and she doesn't know anything beyond your basic GCSE stuff) to these important people and have a bigger platform in general... she just told the governments that it's an issue and they should do something. Like wow, I'm a 100% sure you gave them great insight into the movement you have going!

People always seem to come back with this whole discussion to how it's the governments who should be taxing all those corporations and the like, and while I agree, individual people choosing to cut down on meat or stop buying into fast fashion is going to be a step one day or another. Seeing how slow the governments are moving, you may as well make that step now really. The impact won't be as big as a corporation doing something useful, but there's hope that demand at least decreases and so does supply
Yes. When actual scientists are not allowed to speak (unless they are saying the same as everyone else) but an uneducated girl reading from a script is given the world's platform you should stop and ask why.

Using kids to get a message across isn't new. Try to say anything and you are jumped on for daring to say anything to or about a child. it's an old trick

30 years ago Jehovah's witnesses in my area started to bring young children with them, they would be the ones knocking on your door and asking you a question while the adults stood back.

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Yeah, a train to Spain which would cost more than I earn. Shutting down cities & causing damage governments have to pay for? Isn’t that taking money that could be used for climate change. She isn’t going to reimburse to money lost because her protest made me late to work.
She isn’t a child who wants to world to change, she has a platform because her mother is a singer & her father and grandfather are actors, and this is her turn in the limelight. A petulant child who needs to go back to school or get a job
I stopped following news about her as it was pissing me off so much. Like you said, she only got the platform she has because her parents are wealthy and famous. She reads from scripts and has no idea what she is talking about when she doesn't have one.

Reactions: 11

mindlessness

VIP Member
I think her parents have forced her on it, personally.

No eight year old, gretas age at the time, should have severe depression because they're worrying so much about climate change. This was embedded in her somehow. That wouldnt even cross an eight year olds mind
I don't doubt that her parents are in some way managing the whole thing. I wish she wasn't in the public eye and could have a normal teenagehood.

However, her message is valid. Climate change is a real problem and governments and society aren't doing enough to combat it.

Reactions: 10

Glortard

VIP Member
She is an idiot without an original thought in her head. She came over to Glasgow and instead of attempting to engage in meaningful dialogue around climate change she just uttered blah blah blah and thousands of idiots lapped it up. Hopefully now she is 18 people will start to ask her serious questions and it will become apparent she knows next to nothing.

• Heart

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I totally 100% support her aims and ethos etc but this particular video made me cringe. It seemed staged, it felt like I was watching someone perform. It seemed like acting. And I feel awkward even saying that cos so many people are like "hail greta" and "rich white men hate her" so I feel odd even saying something against her....esp something about how she comes across . Hope someone gets what I am trying to say here 🙈🙈😂
Oh no, I get it. She is speaking out and that is great but I find her a pain in the arse. The whole part about "I should be in school and because of you my childhood is ruined" pissed me off. Again, if it weren't for her parents, she wouldn't be sailing to the US or have this platform.

Also, just to add, the people that sailed her over to the US FLEW back to Sweden. It is all such smoke and mirrors.

She is a privileged kid with a barrage of mental health problems that I think seems vulnerable and easy for people to manipulate and mold.

Horatio

VIP Member
Hmm that sounds like the kind of alt right half truth narrative that gets thrown at any activist with a vaguely left wing image these days. Though I have no idea why climate change should be seen as a left wing issue - but that says a lot about how screwed we are. I’m sure you’ll say it’s not left wing, but when people actively involved in helping start being demonised for their parents supposed links to antifa, it is.
I said I wasn’t sure about her but that was more that she might be a bit of a distraction or under too much pressure etc.
Whether or not her parents fame helped her get into that position, and if they support antifa (who I hear about way more about in these conspiracies than I ever see the actual presence of, in the UK anyway) is pretty irrelevant.

Reactions: 9

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
From the sound of it I’d say those thoughts were allllll negative 😂 have some balls and say it
My pet hate is anyone who starts a thread with “thoughts!?”
YOU SET UP THE THREAD AT LEAST START IT WITH A THOUGHT 😂😂 Just one.... even a little one 🤷‍♀️

Not just you @bubbletea123 😂 everyone who sends out an invitation to a new thread and you turn up and there’s radio silence 😐

mummy2under2

VIP Member
She's fucking annoying. She does my head in.
I've never seen her smile, not once.
She's the most miserable looking kid for someone that has so much time off school and is supposedly passionate about what she's preaching.

She just shouts and accuses yet has absolutely no resolution.
Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon.

lilyannrose

Chatty Member
I'm not a fan of her brand of climate activism or any activism that just seems to involve throwing tanturms and yelling at people. I think it's pretty disgraceful that Extinction Rebellion have used a literal child as their poster girl, although she's a legal adult now at least. That said, the bile she attracts is absolutely disgusting, bizarre and worrying...it scares me that so many think it's acceptable to hurl abuse at a young woman who is just following her passion, however annoying some of us may find her methods.

However, I do respect her for her handling of the Andrew Tate saga. First class all the way. Credit where it's due!

Reactions: 8