Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pawpaw365

VIP Member
I received an email from someone at work this week that included ‘no-one’, ‘thank-you’ and ‘defiantly’. ARGHH

• Haha
Reactions: 1

Happy Lady

VIP Member
It's exactly that it's a possessive apostrophe rather than an apostrophe to denote a missing letter

I disagree. If my surname was Smith. And your talking about my house, it's the Smith's house. I.e. the house belonging the the Smith's

If you said "the Smiths house" that would be grammatically incorrect.

Therefore "Christmas at the Smith's" is grammatical correct.

Ahem. First of all your should be you're (you are). You are incorrect with the rest. The apostrophe between Smith and s indicates the word IS, ie something that Mr Smith or his family would be doing. Where are say "Christmas at the Smith's" would therefore read "Christmas with the Smith is" which doesn't make any sense.

Pawpaw365

VIP Member
It bugs me so much I actually started casually dropping into conversation that the correct number of dots is either three or five (my personal preference is three) and that other variations are not correct grammar. Disappointingly nobody else seemed particularly interested 😆
Are there circumstances where three would be more appropriate than five and vice versa?

DozyDora

Specific and pacific drives me around the bend. They’re two totally different words, spellings, meanings! My husband says pacific when he means specific just to wind me up.

when I see mom instead of mum in the UK. But maybe this is a regional thing?

Very picky I know.

A genuine question - what IS the correct use of ‘myself’? I hate it being used to sound like a smartarse when ‘me’ or ‘I’ is grammatically appropriate but I can’t think of the correct context to use it?

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
yes! how on earth could you guess? :ROFLMAO: i listened to it today and she made a mistake with a very basic verb as well :ROFLMAO: I don't know why I put myself through it sometimes
Because it annoys the shit out of me too 😂 I just wanna listen to the case god damn and I can’t concentrate because of all the grammatical errors 🤣🤣

mozzarellagirl

VIP Member
omg, in that new bank ad with David Tenant doing the voiceover, one of the women says, "Why does my card have no numbers on it?"

you really couldn't have worded that ANY better? ...for a bank with 56 million or whatever customers in the US? (i've seen the advert so many times lol it's clearly done its job)

sheleg

VIP Member
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of Australians don't know how to use apostrophes? I wonder if they just don't get taught the finer points of apostrophisation down there.

Fledgling Psycho

VIP Member
I think anxiousness and anxiety are important, as anxiety is a condition where anxiousness is a natural feeling that we all experience. I agree though that it feels kinda clunky!

I’ve seen so much lately ‘I seen’
I seen what you mean 😉

I still think anxiety fits both situations. "I had/have anxiousness" "I had/have anxiety. Argh. I just don't like the word.

Pawpaw365

VIP Member
Hey, I'm old and cranky. I'll join in. 😊

I think the most common pet peeve I see is people who use quotation marks and then add the comma or period, leaving it floating. I never met a teacher who wasn't driven crazy by "floating punctuation."

This seems to be the biggest problem when using scare quotes. I know some might argue with me on this, and British quotations often leave punctuation floating. Too many Americans are ignorant though, not suddenly British.

Funnily enough, I tried to search for a few examples of improper quotation marks and only came up with this question:

I searched on the Internet what "floating punctuation" means but found absolutely nothing and when I enable it, I cannot see any changes through the text except for the number of pages.

But the funny part was the reply:

I've never heard of "floating punctuation", but I wonder whether it might mean "hanging punctuation".

I have to admit, I don't know if the original "floating punctuation" question had anything to do with what I mean, or if it was more of a programming issue. However, the reply having TWO EXAMPLES of incorrect quotations made me laugh.

When people seem really confused, I've even seen punctuation used before and after the quote: "What time is it?".

And finally, probably my biggest pet peeve right now, those who don't know the meaning of concerning. Language is constantly changing, yada, yada, yada, but that's my nails down a chalkboard moment.

I'd like for us to collectively slow down on the race to ignorance. On the other hand, I also wonder how many mistakes I made in just this one post. You live, you learn.
Never heard of this expression before so I looked up both, and it said hanging punctuation is when the punctuation is outside the line of text?! Which apparently often happens when text is justified.

My understanding with punctuation and speech marks is that if it’s to punctuate the flow of the whole sentence it goes outside of the speech marks; if it pertains just to the quoted part, it goes inside. Explains it pretty well here: https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/does-punctuation-go-inside-or-outside-quotation-marks/

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
People who consistently spell someone's name wrong, even when they've known them for years, or when the name is right there in front of them on an email or social media. I'm thinking Micheal/Michael, Jane/Jayne, Jackie/Jacqui, etc.
I would not mix up Jane/Jayne, Jackie/Jacqui but Micheal/Michael look to me to be the same. I only know they are not because you have used it as an example. I normally have to C&P names

Pawpaw365

VIP Member
I seen what you mean 😉

I still think anxiety fits both situations. "I had/have anxiousness" "I had/have anxiety. Argh. I just don't like the word.
I suppose you could say ‘she was in a state of anxiousness’ might make more sense than ‘she was in a state of anxiety?’ Who knows haha

Al Fresco

VIP Member
Male person is a fiancé, woman is a fiancée, if that helps.
This reminds me of that annoying Mike Bushell talking to Charlie Stayt on BBC Breakfast and referring to someone having a fiancé which he pronounced as FY ANSE😬. Charlie Stayt couldn’t believe it. How can you be journalist and to have got to that age where you don’t know how to pronounce that? Can’t stand that show.

TheGlossy

VIP Member
“As per” … “as” and “per” mean the same thing, so “as per” is redundant. It drives me up the wall that everyone at work uses “as per”.