Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
When people say "an historic" rather than "a historic". Newsreaders do it all the time. The "h" of historic is pronounced as a consonant sound, so it should be preceded by "a", rather than words like "hour", "honour", "heir", which should be preceded by "an" due to starting with a vowel sound.
Oooh guilty. I’m from Yorkshire and we don’t pronounce our ‘H’s so automatically say and write ‘an’ before any H words 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2

Al Fresco

VIP Member
We used to be corrected at school if we used the term “due to” rather than “owing to”. Our English teacher used to say that the only things that are due are money and the bus.

• Heart

AliceInWanderLost

VIP Member
I once went up to a blackboard menu in a pub and wiped out all of the dodgy apostrophes.🥴
i may or may not have, on occasion, made corrections to unnecessary apostrophes on signs... 🤷🏻‍♂️ and although i have angrily scribbled corrections on takeaway menus that have been shoved thru my door, i have resisted the urge to post them back thru the door of the takeaways! 🤣

talking of unnecessary apostrophes, the ones that really grate are the signs which say "CD's and DVD's". ARGH.

• Haha

Melian

VIP Member
People not knowing when to use “its“ instead of “it’s”.
stupid question alert - when exactly would you use either of them? I understand generally, that the apostrophe means it belongs to someone or when you miss out a letter, such as won't.

Reactions: 1

hol20x

VIP Member
Someone on my facebook calls her child a torcher but she means torture. 😩

My biggest hate is people who say genuinely when they mean generally.

emm

VIP Member
THIS. the irrational anger is real! i genuinely don't understand how people don't realise that by messing up the phrase, they are saying the exact opposite of what they are trying to say! "i could care less!" - you very much COULD care less, meaning it is a situation/issue you DO care about. 🙄🙄
there are SO many phrases where people do this, there is a true crime podcast I listen to by a couple of american women and they make mistakes like this ALL the time. Unless you are a nonnative speaker mistakes like this are ridiculous

Are there circumstances where three would be more appropriate than five and vice versa?
I don't think so but now you've asked I'm going to have to do some research because I'd quite like to know too. I know three is far more common these days as the official number. It might be quite interesting to find out when one became more popular than the other as well.

Pink blancmange

VIP Member
When I get random adds on Snapchat from quick add and every single one of them says "show me u." I can't even explain how much that irritates me!! Why can't they say can you show me a picture? Can I see what you look like? Why does every single male say it?!?!?!

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
there are SO many phrases where people do this, there is a true crime podcast I listen to by a couple of american women and they make mistakes like this ALL the time. Unless you are a nonnative speaker mistakes like this are ridiculous
Is it the crime junkie podcast by any chance? 😂

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
i'm genuinely so embarrassed! mistakes like that usually stand out at me and i notice them immediately - i definitely would have if it had been a comment written by someone else - but i was far more focused on capitalising the letters and didn't notice. of all the places to make a grammatical error! 🤦🏻‍♀️

i can't remember the context, but i have actually seen someone use "two" instead of "too"...! 🤣
god I despair!

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
Is it the crime junkie podcast by any chance? 😂
yes! how on earth could you guess? :ROFLMAO: i listened to it today and she made a mistake with a very basic verb as well :ROFLMAO: I don't know why I put myself through it sometimes

• Haha

Instagram Sham

An apostrophe is when your connecting two words the apostrophe goes where the missing letter is e.g has not - hasn’t.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned I haven’t read through the whole thread but I’ve seen this three times this morning ‘generally’ instead of ‘genuinely’ two different words with totally different meanings 🤬
Genuinely, this is honestly brilliantly helpful! If only my KS2 teacher had explained it to me this way 😂

What’s the possessive thing about? Also, say a name ends in an S, what happens then? James’s or James’ or neither? Why?

princessmaire80

VIP Member
‘Isn’t it’ like ‘innit’ It drives me mad! Even my old consultant used to say that (English wasn’t his first language but you would expect a highly qualified doctor not to speak in slang to their patients)